• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If I hate the art style of sun and moon, will I enjoy watching it?

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Title is self-explanatory, I haven't given sun and moon a shot yet, because honestly its all because of the new art style. I hate it. The kalos series spoiled me. So will I enjoy it if I give it a go? From what I've seen so far (I haven't seen any episodes, so don't be surprised if I sound stupid here), I feel like all ash is doing on this adventure is just, take a vacation, reset back to when he started his journey and too many companions.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Title is self-explanatory, I haven't given sun and moon a shot yet, because honestly its all because of the new art style. I hate it. The kalos series spoiled me. So will I enjoy it if I give it a go? From what I've seen so far (I haven't seen any episodes, so don't be surprised if I sound stupid here), I feel like all ash is doing on this adventure is just, take a vacation, reset back to when he started his journey and too many companions.

Series suffers from too many companions, deviates from the games with regards to the roles the characters have in the Anime(if you thought Black&White was bad with regards to Iris not being a Gym Leader, then you're in for a rude awakening), is rather "static" due to the school setting as opposed to traveling aspect that has been the norm since Episode 1(blame Yo-Kai watch for that) and the series simply isn't Pokemon when Ash has had a hand in catching all but two of the Pokemon(the two being Lillie's Alolan Vulpix that is hatched from an Egg so minor spoiler there and the other is Kiawe's Alolan Marowak(whom is on his team in the games)).

The Art style change takes time to get used to but frankly that's not as glaring or big of an issue as what I've noted above. I mean if you're not a fan of Voltron or Power Rangers... seriously don't bother watching Episode 61(which won't air in English until July 16th).

I will say this though. Acerola = best thing to come out of the Anime. Episodes 73 to 77. Will be ages before it airs in English.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Eh, close, but he's not even taking a vacation, he's literally going back to school despite never even needing it at all in past seasons, apparently due to Yokai Watch (either that, or the writers for whatever reason wanted an Emperor's New School Clone, and if you ask me, the latter did the concept far better). He isn't even DOING his goal right now, and in fact, until the Kanto reunion arc where that professor guy got the idea from watching Misty and Brock fight that they should have a league, it's not only indicated there won't be a Pokémon league at all, but some official stuff actually implied that Ash changed his goal to "graduating like never before." It's actually even worse than Best Wishes, which at least ATTEMPTED to focus on Ash's goal of becoming a Pokémon Master. Not even a reset, either, since that would at least imply that despite going backwards, he at least retained some elements of his old character and goals, which he really doesn't. He's more etcha-sketched here.

And believe me, if they had at LEAST tried to have Ash pursue his goal, or heck, even just aid the league commission in actually forming a new league at Alola after the events of Kalos, I probably COULD attempt to tolerate the art change (and I hated it as well).

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I'm tired of people hating on the art style. But..anyway. Alola is fine, in my opinion. People are just on the Kalos high still, I guess. =/

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I'm tired of people hating on the art style. But..anyway. Alola is fine, in my opinion. People are just on the Kalos high still, I guess. =/

Honestly, I'd hate Sun and Moon even if they kept the old art style, because of what they did to Ash by not even allowing him to pursue his goal. Forget Kalos, even Unova was better than this dreck, and that was once considered the worst region EVER (I personally tied it with Hoenn for similar reasons as being among the worst).

Last edited:

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Thank for all your replies and opinions guys,

I was just wondering because il be going on vacation with lots of time to spare, so I was just wondering if picking sun and moon up was a good idea.

Well i'm also bringing a pokemon game from every gen and just replaying it.

If I have nothing to do, and I end up getting bored, would it be worth watching?

Last edited:

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
If you're going on a vacation than explore the place you are visiting. Watch the show between your adventures to find the answer to your question.

Years
I really think you'll adjust. I was very iffy on the art style at first also but as I started watching and gave it a chance, I realized that it's mostly just Ash and maybe another character or two that looked very different. The series itself is great and has some absolutely fantastic moments, especially with Lillie and Gladion. Try it out!! Really do recommend it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I really think you'll adjust. I was very iffy on the art style at first also but as I started watching and gave it a chance, I realized that it's mostly just Ash and maybe another character or two that looked very different. The series itself is great and has some absolutely fantastic moments, especially with Lillie and Gladion. Try it out!! Really do recommend it.

Eh, like I said, even if the series retained the old art style, I still would have viewed Sun and Moon as an utter abomination for what they did to Ash in terms of his character and goals (forcing him into a school setting despite his consistently never even NEEDING to go to school to become a good trainer beforehand as far back as the Indigo League, and at the very least being very delayed in allowing him to even pursue his Pokémon Master goal. Worse, until the whole Kanto Reunion arc, it was even implied in some advertisements and Japanese press releases for the show like CoroCoro when it was announced that they had Ash give UP on becoming a Pokémon Master in favor of "graduating like never before"), even ignoring the art style change he underwent. I even would go so far as to say that Best Wishes was a far better series than Sun and Moon was, and I wasn't impressed by that series either (or with AG for that matter). Probably the only two reasons I'm even BOTHERING to follow the series at all is 1., the prospect of Misty and Brock reappearing in Alola after they strongly hinted at this happening in the future in the ending of the 43rd episode, and 2., the Alola league that also ended up being foreshadowed in Episode 43, due to it being probably the only opportunity Ash has left at actually WINNING an actual game league for once (especially after the sheer pointlessness of having Ash lose the Kalos League despite literally having no reason to do so this time around, whether he increased in rank or not, due to Gyms pretty much being rendered null and void in the Sun and Moon games).

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Thanks for the suggestions guys, i'm feeling a bit more open minded now towards the series. Although one can only judge, if one has watched.

But one question. Z moves. I've heard that the Z moves make battles very predictable, and looking at it it kind of makes sense. Is this true?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Thanks for the suggestions guys, i'm feeling a bit more open minded now towards the series. Although one can only judge, if one has watched.

But one question. Z moves. I've heard that the Z moves make battles very predictable, and looking at it it kind of makes sense. Is this true?

Yep. Pretty much when a person uses a Z-move, they win the battle. Only three instances(that I can think of) where that wasn't the case(and it's not hard to figure out when they occur either).

Back