• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
I might have addressed this when you first said it here, but I just saw this post in OVP and it enraged me all over again. It makes me so angry that their attitude was "we'll wait until your brother is old enough to handle this."

Firstly, this news wasn't about them and it wasn't about your brother. It was about you. In this instance, your needs and your feelings should have been put above all else. The fact that your parents believed that 8 years old is too young to know about gay people notwithstanding, things became different the moment you came out. It's one thing to choose not to expose your children to such things at a young age to defend their delicate sensibilities [INSERT ROLLEYES.GIF HERE] when there's no actual pressing need for it, but if your other child has just told you that he is gay, you know what this means?

It means CIRCUMSTANCES HAVE CHANGED.

Now whether you like it or not, for the emotional stability of your elder son, you are just going to have to expose your 8-year-old to the "big nasty" and trust that he will be resilient enough to get the hell over it. What exactly were they afraid of, in letting him know? That he'd think it sounded like a cool idea and decide to follow in his brother's footsteps? That he'd go to school and tell his friends about his big brother who kisses other boys and bring embarrassment on the family?

I'm sorry Pikapal, I don't mean to disrespect you or your family, but this was a terrible parenting decision; an abominable misstep on so many levels and a disservice to both you and your little brother. I mean, obviously things turned out OK in the end, you seem fine... but it was a risky little game they were playing, and it was your self-esteem that hung in the balance if it didn't turn out right.

I really thank you for defending me to the death on this one. xD And I don't want to disrespect that, but I feel the need to defend my parents. Sorry. v__v

While yeah, it would have been nice to just come out and get it over with, I personally agree that 8 is just to young for a child to even know what sex is. When I was 8, I hadn't even HEARD that word, let alone knew what it meant. So when my parents found out and told me to wait, I felt like that was a good idea. (Then again, that is probably the over protective older brother in me. xP)

Secondly, my parents were never actually ashamed of me. Never. They were worried that people would harass me, worried that I wouldn't get hired for jobs when I grew up, worried that my life would be hell, but never once were the ashamed or embarrassed. And they made sure that I knew that. ^__^ So there was no worry about my brother "becoming" gay or anything, they knew and know that being gay was something you were born with. They just decided he was too young to have that talk yet, since they are somewhat old fashioned in that manner. I didn't get "the talk" until I was like, 12 or 13. xD

So yeah, in the end, I don't know for sure whether it was a bad decision or not., But even if it was, here's the thing:

Every parent on earth will, at some point in time, make a horrible decision regarding raising their child. There is no manual for parenting, and the only sure guide one can have is their own parent's, and maybe other friends or something, and even that isn't reliable enough. SO if my parents made a mistake, then hey, it happens. The fact that they made DAMN sure I was loved, and felt loved, regardless of orientation, or interests, or personality, or anything, I think more than makes up for any mistakes in parenting.

So again, thank you for defending me, and I don't wanna disrespect you by arguing with you, but I personally feel my parents deserve to have someone to defend them and I am the only one who can do so. xD

And I will say that your approach to parenting is probably how I would have handled it if I was in their situation, so I don't wanna say you are wrong or anything, just that my parents took a different route and don't deserve to be lambasted for it. xD

Years
Big news!

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton gives pro-LGBT speech, declaring: "Gay rights are human rights." This means, essentially, that now it's official foreign policy of the U.S. to defend and support gay and trans people around the world. (Now if only we could get more done here within the country to show how much we take this seriously.)

You can read more about it here or just google it.

Here's a short clip from the speech:

And the whole speech:

And of course, predictably, ~some people~ are upset by this.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Wow, I didn't realize anything like that was happening. That's awesome. I have to wonder though... how exactly does a government care about people outside of its country so much as to protect them, but continue to oppress its own?

I suppose that will come with time though.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
And Perry wonders why his campaign is going nowhere.

To answer that, the Department of State deals with foreign policy. The Congress deals with domestic policy. Congress did repeal DADT, so they're not that bad. They're too busy with more important things like declaring pizza a vegetable.

I think progress has been made, but things are yet to be done at both the federal and state level.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
What is your guy's style?
Like how do you dress and what kind of music do you listen to?

Well, like Shining Raichu said, I don't see too much relevance . . . some, but not much. I'm going to answer anyways! >:D

Okay, my normal outfit consists of dark blue/black jeans, or my dark gray dressy pants that I luv, a t-shirt of . . . some random color, but that doesn't matter because you rarely ever see my t-shirts thanks to my HOODIES. I am always wearing a hoodie, at least when I'm in public. I usually where a hoodie at home, too, but there are some moments when I'm not (like now, lol) but . . . well, just by looking around, I have 4 hoodies in my room. . . and like 20 more in my room at my dad's house. I couldn't live without mah hoodies.
Oh, I also where a light grey beanie, lol. Sometimes light blue/black striped fingerless gloves, but they're being sewed so . . . I can't wear them right now, lol.

As for music . . . anything except for rap and heavy metal/screamo/things like that. I'll tolerate them, but I'm not a fan.
I was literally just listening to Three Days Grace and Selena Gomez. I also listen to Lady Gaga, Panic! At The Disco, sometimes Skillet, and then most everything else. I'm not too picky as to what type of music I'm listening to, as long as it sounds good. :3

I see you Hillary Clinton video. I'm going to watch you in a few minutes too. Then I'm going to edit this little post here and give my thoughts about you, unless, of course, I don't finish watching you until someone else posts. If that happens . . . I'll either have to reverse time, edit this post anyways or type up a new one. We shall see, Mrs. Clinton . . .

EDIT: . . . *Clap, Clap, Clap* I think I like Hillary Clinton now~ I never really payed attention before, but I've decided that I like her. :3 That was. . . well, my the gears in my brain still haven't started turning, so the best I can say is amazing.
Oh, and, SCREW YOU RICK PERRY >:C

Last edited:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
What is your guy's style?
I'm not gay but.. thought this would be fun to answer~
He's pretty plain t-shirt and jeans sort of guy~ Always wears his glasses (contacts dry his eyes out by the end of the day) and.. hair longer than mine which is saying a lot. It's like halfway down his chest, but I really like it on him!
:3 I joke and say he's a viking at time because of the hair and because he's into metal.. but I think he's a cutie~
I got him a military-style jacket last year and he's been wearing it.. and *_* I love structured clothing on men. I think every guy's style should just.. revert back to the 50s or something. Nothing sexier than a man in a suit. Honestly I think that men look so sharp and attractive in something like that. And it contrasts with his long hair and I dunno.. :3 I should protest that he take pictures of him in it.. but yeah. Otherwise he'll just throw on a shirt over some jeans~

Though he really loves European clothes more than American clothing. He finds European styles are cut much more streamlined.. and since he has wide shoulders and a narrow waist it suits and fits him a lot more comfortably <3 I don't complain since it looks great on him <3

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

I really thank you for defending me to the death on this one. xD And I don't want to disrespect that, but I feel the need to defend my parents. Sorry. v__v

While yeah, it would have been nice to just come out and get it over with, I personally agree that 8 is just to young for a child to even know what sex is. When I was 8, I hadn't even HEARD that word, let alone knew what it meant. So when my parents found out and told me to wait, I felt like that was a good idea. (Then again, that is probably the over protective older brother in me. xP)

Secondly, my parents were never actually ashamed of me. Never. They were worried that people would harass me, worried that I wouldn't get hired for jobs when I grew up, worried that my life would be hell, but never once were the ashamed or embarrassed. And they made sure that I knew that. ^__^ So there was no worry about my brother "becoming" gay or anything, they knew and know that being gay was something you were born with. They just decided he was too young to have that talk yet, since they are somewhat old fashioned in that manner. I didn't get "the talk" until I was like, 12 or 13. xD

So yeah, in the end, I don't know for sure whether it was a bad decision or not., But even if it was, here's the thing:

Every parent on earth will, at some point in time, make a horrible decision regarding raising their child. There is no manual for parenting, and the only sure guide one can have is their own parent's, and maybe other friends or something, and even that isn't reliable enough. SO if my parents made a mistake, then hey, it happens. The fact that they made DAMN sure I was loved, and felt loved, regardless of orientation, or interests, or personality, or anything, I think more than makes up for any mistakes in parenting.

So again, thank you for defending me, and I don't wanna disrespect you by arguing with you, but I personally feel my parents deserve to have someone to defend them and I am the only one who can do so. xD

And I will say that your approach to parenting is probably how I would have handled it if I was in their situation, so I don't wanna say you are wrong or anything, just that my parents took a different route and don't deserve to be lambasted for it. xD

I can see your point up until the "don't tell an 8 year old about sex" part. Yes, an 8 year old is probably too young to know about sex. But...do you really have to mention the actual act of sex in explaining that someone is gay to an 8 year old? Wouldn't it be sufficient to just say "he likes other boys instead of girls" and that would be it, if the brother even asked? Tbh I don't really see the need to come out to an 8 year old, he's young enough that if he was curious he'd ask and if not he'd just grow up with "yeah, my brother is gay, so what" kind of attitude.

I understand what you're saying but I really think that kind of attitude towards children undermines things such as same-sex parents. Should they pretend not to be gay until their child is old enough to 'handle it'?

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years

I can see your point up until the "don't tell an 8 year old about sex" part. Yes, an 8 year old is probably too young to know about sex. But...do you really have to mention the actual act of sex in explaining that someone is gay to an 8 year old? Wouldn't it be sufficient to just say "he likes other boys instead of girls" and that would be it, if the brother even asked? Tbh I don't really see the need to come out to an 8 year old, he's young enough that if he was curious he'd ask and if not he'd just grow up with "yeah, my brother is gay, so what" kind of attitude.

I understand what you're saying but I really think that kind of attitude towards children undermines things such as same-sex parents. Should they pretend not to be gay until their child is old enough to 'handle it'?

Well...that is something I hadn't thought of, and when you put it like that, I suppose maybe my parents should have thought of that. But I still don't think my parents made a horrible mistake or anything. I mean, it's not like they had any experience dealing with finding out their child was gay, so I can't fault them too much for it.

And just so you guys know, my brother was totally cool with it when he found out. We even ended up laughing about it. xD So even if my parents messed up in that first regard, I think they did a good enough job raising him to be a good person anyways to make up for it. :3

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Well, it's not like you have to explicitly explain every detail, so I'd say it'd be better to tell him, but it's up to your parents. If they're not comfortable with it, they probably should wait until they are. I wouldn't hold it against them too much, and as you said it seems to have turned out well enough.

Also, just noticed completely by chance that I've been on PC for exactly 1000 days now... or maybe a couple more, not sure.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
1001 days, by my calculation! I don't know if this is how you did it, but postcount divided by posts per day = days on PC xD - Either way, congrats on your milestone!

----

While I still think that hiding the fact that you're gay from everybody in your life is an incredible and drastic length to go to just to "protect" one child, I don't really wanna keep arguing against Pikapal's parents, because I feel at this point it probably would start being disrespectful to him. Though I do have to say that this

is an excellent point that I had never thought of! lol

----

But anyway, moving right along:

I am quite impressed with Hilary. She has always been a wonderful speaker, but the way she put this speech (I only watched the small clip, half an hour of listening to any politician is a little much for me) was very uplifting and in the quick shots to the audience I got the impression that they were on board with it. Anything is a step in the right direction :)

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I actually counted it out, and it was 1003, so Dec 4th was my 1000th day, lol. That's how I noticed it at first though.
(Uh... think of relevant post, quick!)

Well, here's one...
If you saw an LGBT person who you didn't know being made fun of, or even physically bullied because they were LGBT, would you step in to help them? Mainly wondering what the allies will say about this one, but everyone can answer.

This came to mind, because awhile back an online friend of mine went to an adult shop, and bought something that obviously identified him as being gay, and the cashier got really mad about it, and broke a beer bottle over his head. When I hear stuff like that, it makes me wish I were there to do something about it. So, to answer my own question, more than likely yes, but it does depend on the situation. If it's going to get me killed, I'd probably just call the police, or something like that instead.

Years
Got a little news article here <click me!> with a good ending. It seems that a woman tried to stop a transgender teenager from using a dressing room "because of her religious beliefs" and she was fired for violating anti-discrimination policies of her work. It's schadenfreude, I know, but in this case I'm gonna enjoy it unashamedly.

If you saw an LGBT person who you didn't know being made fun of, or even physically bullied because they were LGBT, would you step in to help them? Mainly wondering what the allies will say about this one, but everyone can answer.

This came to mind, because awhile back an online friend of mine went to an adult shop, and bought something that obviously identified him as being gay, and the cashier got really mad about it, and broke a beer bottle over his head. When I hear stuff like that, it makes me wish I were there to do something about it. So, to answer my own question, more than likely yes, but it does depend on the situation. If it's going to get me killed, I'd probably just call the police, or something like that instead.
Wow. Just wow. Never been to an adult shop, but I wonder what they're doing with beer bottles lying around.

I know from previous experience that if there was a dangerous situation I'd end up acting on instinct. If I didn't feel I was in much danger I'd get involved somehow, probably with lots of yelling. I just hope I never have to be in a situation like that.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Wow. Just wow. Never been to an adult shop, but I wonder what they're doing with beer bottles lying around.
I assume he was drinking it. lol

Maybe it wasn't beer though, I don't remember for sure... a bottle of some sort at any rate.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
I actually counted it out, and it was 1003, so Dec 4th was my 1000th day, lol. That's how I noticed it at first though.
(Uh... think of relevant post, quick!)

Well, here's one...

Smashed a beer bottle on his head . . . excuse me? The cashier did that to him? He wasn't fired? That's . . . just wrong.

If I saw something like that happening . . . well, if it were someone around my age/a situation that won't get me mutilated and/or killed, setting aside the rest of the variables such as mood/anything else that may affect my decisions . . . I'd most likely be hurting somebody very much right there. If they got me angry enough, that is. I'd attempt to fight back verbally first but . . . um . . . I have a feeling it would end with me hurting the person xD

@Scarf - Hm . . . well, I guess it's good that she got fired, and I'm happy for the dude, but then again . . . if you take it from the point of view from a parent whose daughter or something was changing in a dressing room so near a man . . . I can see why they would be upset. Although, this woman was not a parent or anything of the sort and tried to go with the "religious beliefs" thing, so . . . yeah, screw her.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
If you saw an LGBT person who you didn't know being made fun of, or even physically bullied because they were LGBT, would you step in to help them?

1) If I didn't know them, how would I know that they were LGBT?

2) The reason for the bullying wouldn't matter to me. If I saw someone helpless being physically assaulted, I'd lock, load, and shoot.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
If I saw anyone being bullied regardless, I would like to think I would do whatever I can whether or not it involves actually physically jumping in, buuuuut remember I'm not as epic in real life as I am in my head. So I at least would call 911, and I would try to be of immediate help, but I may or may not actually have the guts for that.
Hm . . . well, I guess it's good that she got fired, and I'm happy for the dude, but then again . . . if you take it from the point of view from a parent whose daughter or something was changing in a dressing room so near a man . . . I can see why they would be upset. Although, this woman was not a parent or anything of the sort and tried to go with the "religious beliefs" thing, so . . . yeah, screw her.
To clarify, the "transgender teenager" in question is not a dude.

Also, for all we know, the woman was a parent. I just don't think that's any excuse either way.

Last edited:

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Have you guys seen this commercial?

It's an atrocity! I made sure to dislike it and report it for hateful speech. ;--;

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Well, I agree with him somewhat about how Christianity is being censored too much (Ideally, I think it should be up to the school which religion, if any, it supports, whether it's a public school or not... but that could leave some towns with only Christian schools, or only Muslim schools or w/e, so it really isn't feasible.), but I still don't see how being gay could possibly have anything to do with serving in the military... or marriage... or well, anything. It just shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

Last edited:

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Public schools are funded by the state/federal government. The government gets that money from tax payers, it is illegal to use tax payer dollars on furthering or inhibiting any religion.

If a parent is very intent on their child learning about Christianity, or any other religion in school as well as in private practice, then they can send their child to a religious school.

I don't see how religion is being "censored" at all. You are allowed to pray in school privately if it does not interrupt class (my best friend prayed during lunch and the beginning of every school day); however, prayer cannot be forced or taught by teachers. Hell, you are even allowed to assemble student prayer groups. The idea is that religion is a freedom, not an obligation - it should never be forced, or used to segregate public schools by religious beliefs.

Have you guys seen this commercial?

It's an atrocity! I made sure to dislike it and report it for hateful speech. ;--;

I know!

I watched this yesterday and thought, " well you are never going to get the nomination, let alone the presidency!" Most Christians believe that gays should serve the military and that there should be at least some rights for partnership (domestic partnership) if not marriage for same-sex couples. Very stupid on his part. I know it may sound bad, but he should have just condemned same-sex marriage rather than gays in the military and any partnership rights. Not to mention his ludicrous accusation that Christianity is being censored and destroyed by Obama. I may disagree with Obama on several issues, but I am not going to falsely accuse him, and make an ass out of myself. I read that even his own campaign staff were like "wtf". I actually think Perry passed Bachmann on the crazy meter now. lmao

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
That video... is disgusting and lolworthy at the same time. He pretty much signed his death certificate for this election in 31 seconds. He can't honestly be that dumb. The Republican Party candidates are just their own little circus lol.

Well, I agree with him somewhat about how Christianity is being censored too much (Ideally, I think it should be up to the school which religion, if any, it supports, whether it's a public school or not... but that could leave some towns with only Christian schools, or only Muslim schools or w/e, so it really isn't feasible.), but I still don't see how being gay could possibly have anything to do with serving in the military... or marriage... or well, anything. It just shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

A school shouldn't support a religion at all. A school's purpose is to educate, not indoctrinate. Religious guidance is up to a child's parents and their church, it has no place in a school whatsoever. As -ty- said, if you're so hell-bent on your child receiving religious guidance at school, then they have special religious schools that operate privately.

Also, I honestly don't see how Christianity is being censored at all. Can you expand on that?

Back