• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your favourite generation, and why

Your favourite gen

• Gen I

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Gen II

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Gen III

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Gen IV

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Gen V

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Gen VI

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Gen VII

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Gen five. Unova was beautiful and had a load of fully evolved pokemon like Tyranitar in the wild. Good memories.

Gen 4/Sinnoh is always really good due to the amazing region and myths involved.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Pokemon Musical and Movie Features....AWFUL
the ease with which you dismiss an almost totally optional part of the game as awful piques my curiosity. from what I recall, about 10 minutes of pokestar studios content was required to progress in the game, and the rest was voluntary. what in particular did you dislike so much about that?

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I've been playing Pokemon since the early days of Generation 1, but I definitely can say that Generation 3 was my favorite and most memorable generation that I have ever played with. The game was beautiful for its time. It was colorful, exciting, and had many memorable locations and events within the game. It introduced my favorite generation of Pokemon, with what I believe to be some of the best Pokemon designs I have ever seen. The Pokemon of this generation appeared as tropical as the region suggests. The whole region had a real prominent tropical environment that was constant throughout the entire game and all of the traveling on the open Hoenn ocean was absolutely fun to me and did not feel like too much water travel, despite what many people say.
Generation 3 also introduced the single greatest post game ever introduced throughout the series which was the Battle Frontier in Emerald. I had spent more time playing Emerald and its Battle Frontier, than I have any other generation throughout the series. This was also the generation that first taught me what true competitive battling was. I had no understanding of how to play Pokemon competitively until I walked into the Battle Frontier for the first time. After getting absolutely destroyed in the Frontier as a kid, I wanted to o still be a great battler so I read and studied about Pokemon until I was able to breed and build my very first ever competitive team, and it took me months to get this team together due to the limited amount of information about competitive breeding at the time as well as tools and mechanics for breeding during this generation was so incredibly limited. I just invested so much time into this generation, that the most distinct memories I have of playing Pokemon we're from playing Sapphire and Emerald.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 12, 2018
the ease with which you dismiss an almost totally optional part of the game as awful piques my curiosity. from what I recall, about 10 minutes of pokestar studios content was required to progress in the game, and the rest was voluntary. what in particular did you dislike so much about that?

Optional Features are part of what makes a game stand out. Points are added for good features, and points subtracted for poor ones.

Also I never said that I disliked anything about whether it is voluntary or not. Weird question.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 17, 2021
I'm of the opinion that there are no bad games and that people's favorite is usually their first. I used to dislike 3rd gen games but after Alpha/Omega came out I went back and got the greatest rush of nostalgia. 2nd Gen will always be my favorite though.

Years
My favorite generation for me is hard to choose between gen VI and gen VII. I like gen VI because Y was my second pokemon game and the first game I stayed up until midnight to download it at launch. I was still new to the franchise, but the jump in graphics from Black 2 on the DS to full 3D graphics on the 3DS was mind blowing to me for some reason. Gen VII on the other hand came when I was a full on fan of pokemon. I enjoyed the change to trial captains instead of gyms. I loved about 90% of the pokemon designs, and I thought the team I ended up with at the end of the game was the perfect team. The small number of pokemon in the game motivated me to complete the pokedex in Moon, and I was temporarily interested in shiny hunting, even catching one, which felt like a huge accomplishment. So because of personal opinion, it's hard for me to choose between gen VI and gen VII.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 4, 2018
Gen VI is my favorite.

Okay, story time. I was the target demographic during the peak years of RBY, but my mother Strictly Forbade Pokemon anything because? Apparently it's virtual dog fighting?? So anyways, ALL MY FRIENDS played Pokemon and I wasn't allowed to do so, or watch the cartoons, or anything. It sucked, lemme tell ya.

So then years pass, and I'm in the middle of my teenage rebellion and I pick up Pokemon Platinum on a whim one day. And y'all, I was HOOKED. What I had intended to be a temporary distraction from my teenage angst turned into MY FAVORITE GAME. But by this point, none of my friends played any more, and I always felt a little...Well, a little late. I felt like Pokemon wasn't really for me, you know? Like I'd missed my chance to really play it. Like I really shouldn't like something that was clearly aimed at 10 year olds. So because of that, I always kept my Poke-love really private. I never joined any forums or told any of my friends.

So I play through Platinum and SoulSilver several dozen times. I thought it couldn't get better than SS and the Pokewalker. I was happy in my solitary experience, for the most part.

Then Gen V happened, and I hated it. The new mechanics threw me, and at this point a big part of the charm of Pokemon was the nostalgia for a game I hadn't been able to play as a kid. So the Only New Pokemon thing was REALLY offputting. So I didn't actually finish Black and never did get around to even trying Black 2.

I wasn't totally done with things, though. I kept replaying SoulSilver and eventually got copies of Leaf Green and Emerald and played those too. It was fun, if lonely.

And then XY hit, and it was magical. The games were dripping with the nostalgia I was chasing. So many nods to Gen I, to the anime, to all the things I had caught glimpses of as a kid and had finally seen for myself 15 years later. All the things that made me want to play in the first place.

And the new engine! 3D! It was beautiful, and it brought the game to life in a way that I couldn't even have imagined. I always said that one of the things I LIKED about Pokemon was the simple graphics, but man, 3D was worlds better. And trainer customization! Outfits I would legit wear IRL! A haircolor that was almost exactly like mine! THE ABILITY TO PET YOUR POKEMON HOLY CRAAAAAP! Not to mention the PSS! I wasn't alone anymore! I could find someone to battle without having to trawl forums and IRC and feel like a sad lonely lump with no friends! I didn't need friends who played! I HAD PASSERSBY!!!

And Kalos! It's so beautiful! The music is enchanting! I could stand around in Anistar City all day just listening to the theme music.

Basically, XY was everything I had ever wanted and wished for in a Pokemon game. Not only that, but the PSS and the marketing showed me that I wasn't alone in still liking the franchise as an adult. It was the first time I ever really engaged in the community, the first time I dipped my toes into competitive play...Sinnoh may be where I started my Pokemon journey, but I will always consider Kalos my "home region."

Years
Unova, and I don't care about how minority of an opinion that is in the rest of the fanbase ♥ Unova introduced some of my favorite overall Pokémon (Mienshao, Whimsicott, Serperior, + others) and was the region I most closely connected with as far as story and music went. I also loved the characters a lot, and found the villainous team (especially Ghetsis and N) extremely interesting. Almost makes me a bit sad I can no longer relive the forum times when Black and White just came out.

But yes, I feel deeply for gen V and that will never change.

Years
Cons:
No Battle Facility
Pokemon Musical and Movie Features....AWFUL
No Customization yet

No Battle Facility... didn't Nimbasa City have the Battle Subway?

Anyway, Gen V is my favorite for the plotline, but I wish there was a good way to rebattle trainers besides your rival. Gen II used to be my favorite, because Kris is my favorite player character, but I recently realized that although Crystal is my favorite main series game, Gold and Silver weren't nearly as good.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
Gen III is my favourite, because of the great music, the storyline and some of my favourite Pokémon being introduced in this Gen, namely Sharpedo and Camerupt. I also like Steven more than the other Champions.

Back