• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Manga] List & Chit-Chat on ALL Pokémon Manga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
For me too. When it comes to plot and realistic characters, most manga are waaaaay above that anime :/

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Also, is this the only thread for the manga? O_O I thought the manga were a lot more popular than this...

Apparently not. There are some more threads in PGen, which you can find if you click the [Manga] prefix before this thread's title. But not many have posted in them, so apparently the manga isn't very popular at all. We had to discard the pokémon manga subforum that existed under PGen earlier, because no one was posting in it. This thread is the remnant.

Pokémon Special is still relatively popular, it's just that most people dicuss it on three other forums (one of them in particular) which I will not name, a site that I can not link to due to the rules and tumblr. This place has really gone down since the old days (2006-2008) when they allowed scans and scanlations. The reason why the other forums are doing well is because most of them have something that is exclusive to their forums, in their case summaries / reviews of magazine and volume chapters or scans / scanlations, which attracts people to discuss. The PokéCommunity's thing used to be people helping each other to get access to Pokémon manga that the members normally couldn't get by themselves. Now that there is nothing exclusive about the manga discussion, it has become inactive. And the deletion of the Pokémon manga sub-forum is just idiotic.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Who's your favorite pokemon special characters?
Crystal <3 And Pearl. I used to fangirl over Gold also, and he's still the hottest definitely! But I love Crystal's determination, story and pokémon team. Pearl is the funniest, bravest and most awesome boy character imo. I wish he and Platina had ended up being more romantic towards one another.

Pokémon Special is still relatively popular, it's just that most people dicuss it on three other forums (one of them in particular) which I will not name, a site that I can not link to due to the rules and tumblr. This place has really gone down since the old days (2006-2008) when they allowed scans and scanlations. The reason why the other forums are doing well is because most of them have something that is exclusive to their forums, in their case summaries / reviews of magazine and volume chapters or scans / scanlations, which attracts people to discuss. The PokéCommunity's thing used to be people helping each other to get access to Pokémon manga that the members normally couldn't get by themselves. Now that there is nothing exclusive about the manga discussion, it has become inactive. And the deletion of the Pokémon manga sub-forum is just idiotic.
Yeah. With PC making clear that no links to places are allowed publicly, there's not much to come and get here. Just... generally discuss what you think about this and that and so and so. As long as the strictness stays, a manga forum probably won't get recreated here. I've fought for it, lately even, but I'm starting to realize (with the loooow use of the [Manga] prefix) that PC just isn't a poké-manga place. Can still talk about it when we want though :3

大輔

Adventurer
Years
Do you guys watch the anime too? I don't ( until XY, it's not too bad ). I actually thought Pokemon for me was over, but my interest was saved by the manga's sake because it was so nostalgic and tied really well together. The character development was great too. I can't really say any kind of character that I hated. ( A lot of people hated Emerald, but for the story's sake it tied together... everyone expected Wally to be the one but he already had a name :P )

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I only watch the anime when I'm really bored, haha. I sometimes read the manga before going to sleep, as I have a nice app on my phone where I can reach manga sites :] I've begun re-reading the first sagas of PokéSpe now. They simplify stuff a lot in the beginning O.o. Pikachu fries Onix with one Thunder attack, a Nidorino is defeated and captured after one single Water Gun from Poliwhirl etc. I wonder if they wanted to stay true to the games after all, where you can pretty much take out weak pokémon with one single attack (not a ground type with Pikachu buuuut) rather than having drawn out, long battles where pokémon seem incredibly resilient like in the anime sometimes.

Years
My fave is the Poke-Special because of the story line. I liked how Giovanni had a goal underlying with the formation of Team Rocket, Silver's kidnapping with the Masked Man and how it relates to Giovanni, the fact that Ruby has Celebi to tie him into the older Crystal manga, and the fact that Emerald series has the rest of what happens to the Dex Holders. It is all very interesting in my opinion and is like a large conspiracy theory in some series with the bad guys and Dex Holders.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
My fave is the Poke-Special because of the story line. I liked how Giovanni had a goal underlying with the formation of Team Rocket, Silver's kidnapping with the Masked Man and how it relates to Giovanni, the fact that Ruby has Celebi to tie him into the older Crystal manga, and the fact that Emerald series has the rest of what happens to the Dex Holders. It is all very interesting in my opinion and is like a large conspiracy theory in some series with the bad guys and Dex Holders.

How I Became a Pokémon Card gave a lot of back story to Giovanni as well. There was a chapter about when Giovanni was young. That chapter as well as four other chapters have been scanlated. I can't link it to you due to forum rules, but you should be able to find it via Google.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Actually, I don't care if you private message each other with links. Just so you know. Just as we don't display them for everyone to grab from PC. Hello high-staff, correct me if you somehow disagree. Google makes it really easy to find stuff if you know what you are looking for these days though, yeah.

I still don't completely understand how Ruby could have Celebi. I know he was from Johto, but. Hm. Was it the same Celebi that took part in G/S/C saga? Or are there several Celebi around?

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
Years
I like the diamond and pearl Hareta adventures. Although I dislike Piplup. The early Adventure specials were okay for their time. I just wish the older cast wouldn't constantly get captured and then need to be freed. But I love the teams Red and Green had.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Yeah, I thought it was very refreshing how Red and the other dex holders didn't make their teams as symmetric as Ash did, with three starters or at least one each of fire-grass-water-flying. Made the teams seem more unique and believable.

Monster Guy

The Best Possible Thing!
Years
Yeah, I thought it was very refreshing how Red and the other dex holders didn't make their teams as symmetric as Ash did, with three starters or at least one each of fire-grass-water-flying. Made the teams seem more unique and believable.

Yeah, I like how all the teams are unique and different yet still fit the character.

I also like that Red has Venusaur for a change, unlike most interpretations of Red that give him Charizard.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Agreed, but it was still somehow satisfactory when Green lent Red his Charizard for going to the hot springs to heal, or when they were fighting TR (?) in the FR/LG saga and switched pokémon briefly for some reason. That fun feeling wouldn't have been there if Charizard had been Red's to begin with, of course ^^

Incidentally, for the Pokémon Adventures manga, do you prefer to think of the male Kanto rival as Green or as Blue? I always preferred to call him Green, I guess because I read a lot on serebii's site where they did that. And because it felt right because of the original games and the girl having a Blastois which fit well with Blue and all. If you switch their names to call the male Blue, no starters match the names of their trainers :p

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Agreed, but it was still somehow satisfactory when Green lent Red his Charizard for going to the hot springs to heal, or when they were fighting TR (?) in the FR/LG saga and switched pokémon briefly for some reason. That fun feeling wouldn't have been there if Charizard had been Red's to begin with, of course ^^

Incidentally, for the Pokémon Adventures manga, do you prefer to think of the male Kanto rival as Green or as Blue? I always preferred to call him Green, I guess because I read a lot on serebii's site where they did that. And because it felt right because of the original games and the girl having a Blastois which fit well with Blue and all. If you switch their names to call the male Blue, no starters match the names of their trainers :p

Yeah, but complete inconsistency is more consistent than half consistency, don't you think? The problem all started when Red got his Venusaur, and the other two also get their advantage type colour is a better fix. Like Red, as in fire, gets the grass starter, Blue, as in water, gets the fire starter, and Green, as in grass, gets the water starter. Better circle.

Do you remember Green's (male) green Gyarados? It shows Gyarados has three colours!

Monster Guy

The Best Possible Thing!
Years
I usually call the guy Green, and the girl Blue. Only so their names match their eye colors, and because technically Green came out first. xD Also, Blue sounds more feminine for some reason.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I'll have to agree to that. Red & Green came out first, as did the games. They probably changed the rival to Blue to match the English versions. Blue's design came from the unused female protagonist in the original games (as there wasn't any gender choice then) and the artwork that comes in the back of PokéSpe Vol 3 (Red, Green and Blue next to their respective starter Pokémon) is perhaps inspired by the similar picture where Red, Green and the unused female are next to their respective starters in the first stage evolutions.

Sushimmi

Transformice <3
Years
I first read the Japanese translations online, and got quite annoyed when they switched Blue and Green.

Is CY not publishing anymore? I'm stuck on volume 41 foreverrr. I could buy from Viz but if they are going to censor stuff then I rather read online.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Is CY not publishing anymore? I'm stuck on volume 41 foreverrr. I could buy from Viz but if they are going to censor stuff then I rather read online.
From what I read, Chuang Yi has been under voluntary liquidation since some time this year and won't publish any more volumes past 41. It's really a pity.

Is Viz going to publish their version of all the volumes in English though?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
modBUMP

Has anyone read any pokémon manga lately or has the interest in it truly faded? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back