• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Tri-Color Nostalgia Series

Years
Mere text changes should not introduce unrelated bugs unless you screw up somewhere else. As Rangi said, working on multiple versions simultaneously is only going be a lot more work unnecessarily. You should work on the core features, and only then round up each version with its own text or version-specific features.

I read about that burn bug when you posted it in skeetendo, and it should be very easily debuggeable. I hope it's not the only reason you're planning to start over because you're inevitably going to introduce trillions of those bugs eventually no matter how many times you start over. Rather than discarding all the work, I'd try to learn the essentials of debugging with BGB so that you can deal with future bugs better, and that minor burn glitch should be a good place to start. Only start over if your changes so far are totally unmaintainable, and, if so, work a bit on finding out what went wrong (introducing code that you don't understand, creating dirty workarounds to solve problems rather than coming up with cleaner solutions, lack of documentation...) so that this time you can start in the right direction.

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
The other reason is because it was getting a bit difficult to keep track of new changes well enough to effectively port them all to the other version, and especially without a day-by-day change log it can be hellish at times, which is probably how things went wrong when I decided to do the French translation. Therefore, I decided to start fresh, with a change log accompanying me as I update everything step by step.

Anyway... how do you add the Gym Leader text from the Japanese version on your trainer card? Because I was planning to do so today, as I translate it across the three Western languages I'm planning thus far: English, French, and German (I put the Italian translation on hold due to a lack of progress on the Italian pokered's repo).

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
The other reason is because it was getting a bit difficult to keep track of new changes well enough to effectively port them all to the other version, and especially without a day-by-day change log it can be hellish at times, which is probably how things went wrong when I decided to do the French translation. Therefore, I decided to start fresh, with a change log accompanying me as I update everything step by step.

Anyway... how do you add the Gym Leader text from the Japanese version on your trainer card? Because I was planning to do so today, as I translate it across the three Western languages I'm planning thus far: English, French, and German (I put the Italian translation on hold due to a lack of progress on the Italian pokered's repo).

Montblanc added leader names to the Trainer Card for their Green recreation hack.

Why would you need an Italian pokered repo? The translations only differ in their text. Just make one hack, and gradually you can change parts like this:

Code:
_OakSpeechText2A::
	text "This world is"
	line "inhabited by"
	cont "creatures called"
	cont "#MON!@@"

to this:

Code:
_OakSpeechText2A::
if def(ENGLISH)
	text "This world is"
	line "inhabited by"
	cont "creatures called"
	cont "#MON!@@"
endc
if def(FRENCH)
	text "Ce monde est"
	line "peuplé de"
	cont "créatures du nom"
	cont "de #MON!@@"
endc
if def(SPANISH)
	text "¡Este mundo está"
	line "habitado por unas"
	cont "criaturas"
	cont "llamadas #MON!@@"
endc
if def(ITALIAN)
	text "Questo mondo è"
	line "abitato da"
	cont "creature"
	cont "chiamate #MON!@@"
endc

and likewise for INCBIN'ed textual graphics. If the translated disassemblies don't have all the text yet, you can play the translated ROMs and copy it yourself.

(I think the charmap has enough empty space to add all the ¡fórèîgñ! characters you'll need without per-version differences.)

If you're already keeping a changelog, it would be a small step to turn "write new entry in changelog.txt, press Save" into "write new entry in TortoiseGit's text box, press Commit". (I personally use TortoiseGit as a Git client because it's integrated into File Explorer, but there are plenty of other options, including GitHub's own client.)

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Just added that code, thanks! ...Where do I add the Leader Names graphic, anyhow?

UPDATE: Of course... how could I have missed it? It was located under BlankLeaderNames this whole time! All I had to do was change "blank_leader_names" to "leader_names", and there I was!

Last edited:

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
For those wondering: no, the project is not dead. I've simply had a lot going on in my life in the past month, is all.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
OK, time to announce my plans for this weekend in regards to this hack. Namely, I'll be releasing the first of what I call a series of Mac OS X-themed (if you will) hacks, beginning with 10.0 SUMMER OF ADVENTURE. It will be the first of what I hope will be a long line of ever-improving versions of this hack, and as before include Red, Green, and Blue Versions. But there will also be a Yellow Version, albeit only in English for the time being (the others will additionally be available in French and German). In any case, though I'll be (re)starting small, I hope to eventually make this hack one of the greats (at least, as far as you can get without getting the unwanted attention of Nintendo as happened to a certain other hack last Christmas), right up there with Christmas, Red++, and Polished Crystal, perhaps even among others. But obviously, I can't do so by moving too fast. Instead, as they say in Kokomo, I'll get there fast and then I'll take it slow ("there", of course, being the initial planned release of Pok?mon Tri-Color Nostalgia Series X).

The following improvements will be made from vanilla-red to this first incarnation of this new generation of the Tri-Color Nostalgia Series:
* Anti-censorship of the Viridian City Old Man event and the Museum Pagan
* Slight updates to the HM compatibility list so that Charizard, Dragonite, Pikachu, and Raichu can learn Fly via HM, and Pikachu and Raichu can additionally learn Surf via HM
* Updated wild Pok?mon locations
* Choice between playing as a boy or as a girl
* Selected dialogue and other text updates
* The player will look at any trainer that challenges him/her upon being challenged
* New surfing sprites for Pikachu and Raichu
* Physical-Special split
* Automatic defrost possibility
* Focus Energy fix
* Selected movesets updated
* Metal Claw and Crunch added as moves
* Dark and Steel types added
* Certain pre-existing moves updated to how they worked in Gen VI
* Bush reference temporarily restored from beta for Cut

Further major improvements will be made to this hack for the as-yet-untitled v10.1. Additional updates will be released as necessary in the interim.

This hack is rated T for alcohol references, gambling, and brief strong language. (SPOILER ALERT: the strongest word in this hack will be a single instance of "G**damn", spoken by an NPC in Lavender Town.)

Anyway, I'll post here once more when 10.0 SUMMER OF ADVENTURE gets its first release, and I'll also include artwork for emulators that support box art graphics and also for the hobbyists out there (looking at you, Game Boy cassette case people).

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I apologize for the inconvenience. Due to technical difficulties, release of v10.0 SUMMER OF ADVENTURE has been delayed. This thread will be updated as soon as a new release date is figured out, which should be soon by my estimates.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Well, it's finally been released. Download v10.0.0 here.

You'll notice it's kind of rushed; while it otherwise looks fairly good as far as I've tested it, there's a minor audio bug at the end of wild battles which I plan to address in v10.0.1, and I haven't really been able to prepare the other languages yet, let alone the Yellow version. I plan to do so gradually throughout the Summer of Adventure era.

UPDATE: v10.0.1 is now available. It addresses the aforementioned audio bug, as well as a few other bugs. The French translation is now also included. Feel free to drop any comments about the current version in this thread.

UPDATE 2: A new text glitch involving the TV in Red's house is also present which I'd ended up overlooking. I'll fix it in v10.0.2.

UPDATE 3: v10.0.2 is now available. In addition to addressing the above bug and others, it also includes the German translation and changes the trainer class of one trainer on Route 25 from Lass to Picnicker.

Last edited:

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
OK, v10.0.3 will be coming sometime this weekend. Just a word of advance warning: the Running Shoes won't be functional in Pok?mon Yellow at first. I guess I'll have to get to that in v10.1. In the meantime, feel free to comment on the current version of this hack in this thread.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
v10.0.3 is out, finally.

As for v10.0.4, I'm so exhausted right now, preparing for a week in Cleveland, that I think it'll be a while before I'm able to get that one out. In the meantime, I'd much appreciate some feedback on the current version.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
As I work on v10.0.4, which will primarily be a minor update (save for initial deployment of the new frontsprite set, which will cover most of the Pokémon in 10.0.4) before I work on 10.1 Western Reserve (named after the place in Ohio where I'm currently vacationing), I'm going to prepare an instruction manual and thorough guidebook which will both be released with each new 10.x version as they are completed in their initial releases. Artwork made for both the manual and the greater player's guide will be made using this tutorial, so as to mesh well with any official period artwork that gets included (and if it's all right with Mateo, I was hoping to do Sugimori watercolor-style artwork of him, too, for his own hack).

ETA: Here's a single page from the instruction manual. I might need a little help getting quality Sugimori watercolor-style pictures of Leaf (I'm pretty sure I can get one of Red by myself for the final product).

Last edited:

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Well, v10.0.4 SUMMER OF ADVENTURE is finally ready.

v10.1 WESTERN RESERVE, which will include such features as a completely updated frontsprite set (teased in v10.0.4), unique trainer palettes, and the first appearances of Looker and Janine, among other things, is coming next month. Initial releases for v10.2 VIETNAM (which I anticipate to be the first to include new Pokémon apart from the original 151), v10.3 BROADWAY'S BEST, and v10.4 GREEN GABLES will respectively take place in September, October, and November, all named after PBS programs and programming blocks.

In the meantime, be sure to leave feedback for SUMMER OF ADVENTURE (v10.0 and its updates over the past few weeks) here in this thread, so I can take your comments into consideration for future versions.

Last edited:

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 10, 2022
It's for red, green and yellow. changes to all of them

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Yes, as a matter of fact I'm going to add everything to Yellow I'm adding to the main three. One of the things I'll be doing for v10.1 WESTERN RESERVE is update the trainer pics and give them individual palettes, like I said earlier.

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Weedle don't appear on Route 2, even though both the in-game Pokedex and the documentation says they do. A level 5 Pidgey appears instead, even though Pidgey aren't supposed to be level 5 on Route 2, Weedle are. Also, Rock Tomb doesn't do any damage, only lowers the opponent's speed. This is Pokemon Yellow, BTW.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I'll get to it as soon as I can. In all honesty, I don't know how it happened, but whatever it is, I'll get to the bottom of it.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I think I know where I went wrong with Rock Tomb. As for the Weedle issue, there is also a Lv. 5 Pidgey in the documentation. You probably weren't looking hard enough; if Weedle don't appear on Route 2 in my hack, then neither do Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest; while testing, I encountered at least one Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest, ergo Weedle should be in Route 2.

Just to be on the safe side, though, the wild Pokémon locations are being updated slightly for v10.1 WESTERN RESERVE.

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
I know that they can't learn it until Gen 4 , (or at least Golbat) but have you considered allowing the Zubat family the ability to learn Fly? That would help with its lack of STAB moves, giving it a better flying move other than Wing Attack.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Excellent idea! I don't know why I never thought of it myself!

Oh, looks like new Pokémon will be coming one full version sooner than I had anticipated. Expect Pikablu, Raiblu, and Bellossom in 10.1, perhaps among others.

Back