• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you do not want in Gen 8

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I have a bad feeling that they'll add cross gen evolutions again to appeal to some fans and to tease a sinnoh remake. Man it would be very disappointing if they did that and not add more eviolite-esque item, megas, regional forms or stat buffs and better movepools for older pokemon.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Complaints, I don't want any more complaints (but alas, there's millions of us so it's pretty much inevitable)

What do you expect? Any franchise or series isn't perfect. I can complain and criticize a series I've been playing since day one and have bought most of their games. Being a blindly loyal fan is not a good mindset because then any company could take advantage of that and try to do stupid, questionable and greedy things. Like how EA did those micro transactions for Battlefront II back then. Or how GF can probably remake Kanto a billion times and people will still fall head over heels for it. I support GF a lot and am not a mindless hater just cause I have a few grievances about the things GF does.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Ooooh boy where do I even begin.

Well, let's start with the very beginning: S/M has a nearly 45-minutes cutscene before you can even gain some agency with your character, and then there's also the infamous catching tutorial seen in all generations. We can, honestly, do well away with both these kinds of things. So, no stupid tutorials, no unskippable cutscenes and no Videogame Corridor of Nochoiceland.

Adding to that, I'd like to see some bad design practices go that I'm sure consume more than enough resources that by dedicating to them GF can not get to at least try and fix or improve other things. First, the 3D. Simply put we don't need it. 2.5D is much simpler and consumes far less resources that could then be dedicated to larger maps, better scripts, etc. And I don't even have to mention the horrible speed S/M get in the original 3DS with the HD models, right? Anyone sensible would have optimized the models for a friggin' 240p screen. In my 3DS it takes nearly four minutes to boot S/M up and after that there's 70% battery drainage simply watching the 3D models try to wiggle in battle. Even in my country that would get a no from QA.

Related to the problem of agency, the handholding certainly merits mention. The current structure of the Pokémon games is less a monster catching game and more a cheap visual novel or one of those cellphone one-action "jump" games; we can certainly do away with that. This also has a bad effect in the design of maps. There's nowhere to go except the marked route and any attempt to even look past a fence will get you an NPC having pity of you and handholding you back to the road (oh and 100% healing your Pokémon in the meantime). So we can do away with that and have actual explorable maps as well.

From a playability sense, there's the utter crap of having to rely on Pokebank in order to access flavour content like the Pokédex that we had access to in earlier generations. At the moment we have to fear that they might actually take real, functional content out of the games and throw it into Pokébank, making you pay for one game for the price of not two but three (3) (Ⅲ) (tres) games! Oh so much certainly let's do away with that. Just, like, optimize the damn 'mon models and you'll have 45 times the ROM space needed to reinsert the binary Pokédex data.

So yeah I think these would be good points to start with.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Complaints, I don't want any more complaints (but alas, there's millions of us so it's pretty much inevitable)

Sorry, that's impossible. Every generation is going to have people complaining, no matter what.

What I don't want... Hms returning, obviously, for one. No one wants HMs to make a return. Sun/Moon, US/UM did the right thing and got rid of HMs, so I don't want them to return in the generation 8 games.

I want generation 8 to NOT HANDHOLD ME THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE GODDAMN GAME like gen 7 did, holy shit. Please, let generaiton 8 not do this, it made some parts of the game unenjoyable to boot.

& Please, for the love of god, don't have unskippable tutorials. Cutscenes don't matter to me, but I'm sure all veteran Pokemon players (and even a rookie) trainer knows how to catch a Pokemon, so we don't need a tutorial on how to do it, right? Of course not. I also don't want unskippable credits. I'm not a fan of not being able to press start after one view of the credits, starting with (I believe) generation 5. Post credit content is okay I guess, but please, after beating the game a second time, I would like the credits to be skippable again.

I also don't want no national pokedex. It feels weird to me that there was no national dex in generation 7. =/

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
Being a blindly loyal fan is not a good mindset because then any company could take advantage of that and try to do stupid, questionable and greedy things. Like how EA did those micro transactions for Battlefront II back then. Or how GF can probably remake Kanto a billion times and people will still fall head over heels for it.
Nah-ah-ah! It's not blindly, given the masterpieces GameFreak and several other contributors
gave us over these 20 long years of cranking gears! A thing I consider questionable would be the revisited releases coming
right after two other counterpart versions(aka the third releases... or so they were called before US&UM),
but this gimmick has been ongoing for quite a while, so we ought be used to it, right?
In all honesty, I find the idea of returning to Kanto with just the 1st generation and a few
new generation pokémon unexciting much like you do, and again, I don't see many people
"falling head over heels" either. The fact they(devs) decided to take this direction, however,
alongside the fact the games were initially intended not to have wild battles... something's
happening in the Carrot tower, no doubt. We can only wait, and in case we don't find the
outcome appealing we can just not buy a copy and skip the titles.
Thing is, my fellow, complaints pop up frequently, most of the time for frivolous or even
unclear reasons, perhaps broadcast in a way that can be disrespectful towards people who had put
time, effort and sentiment into their work(no, I'm not in any way referring to this thread : I can imagine the pain of lenghty tutorials),
notably in the case of designs, which from the sleeker-looking to the more intricate ones,
feature a whole study behind. What I'm trying to type is : rather than complaining, we ought
treasure and cherish what we were given, trying to better understand what doesn't appeal us
or, if not, focus on what we enjoy of the franchise. Besides, troubling ourselves too much
about what troubles us only worsens things, don't you think? ;)
Okay, complaints aside, here's a couple things that make me perplex:
  • Dancer ability
Lilligant:Prepare for trouble! Oricorio:Make it double!
  • A pokémon possibly inspired to the sand mausoleum from a possible ending ending of Leopardi's "Dialogue between an Icelandic and nature" (depressing, I know -.-"")
The names 'tho... it's as if they wanted to poke fun at us! Look :
Jap.: シロデスナ Sirodethna> Can be read as 城ですな shiro desu na (That's a castle, huh)
Fr.: Trépassable> Très passable(good enough)
Kor.: 모래성이당 Moraeseong-idang> That's a sand castle
Mandarin: 噬沙堡爺 / 噬沙堡爷 Shìshābǎoyé> 是沙堡耶 Shì shābǎo yé(It's a sand castle!)
... I think the devs might have burnt a few people with that...
  • Ah, yes, I forgot : the Italian translators ought consider refraining from using the suffix -poli in settlement names. We finally got rid of that overused suffix in the 7th gen, and it'd be best if we kept it this way. Grazie! ;)

Last edited:
Years
While I don't mind there being a little bit of a lead up to getting your first Pokemon, I just don't want to have my hand held the entire game. I have a feeling LGP/LGE are going to do this quite a bit for first time or returning players to the series, so hopefully by the time the proper 8th gen games come around, they'll be catering to a more familiar fanbase instead of the first timers.

Years
I think after what 7th Gen ended as, everyone can say that unskippable tutorials and constant hand-holding are a definite no-no. We want to have the option to skip it if we are an experienced player, and having it so forced was what turned off many when it came to replay value in 7th Gen.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
1. Online play restricted to a plaza.

Festival Plaza was a travesty that should have been scrapped, yet it is still required to go online one year after S/M.

That heavily discourages the player from trading rare Pok?mon on Wonder Trade, as well as competitive or casual online battling.

2. Unskippable cutscenes

To say that Gen VII went too far is a massive understatement to explain how much of an unplayable mess it is. No replay value really hurts the games.

While I like Lillie, she really shouldn't be hogging up all that spotlight, since it robs objectively better characters like Guzma, Wicke, and even Lana of any potential development.

3. A new recolour form

I really don't like Dusk Lycanroc, since it isn't much of an improvement over the other Lycanrocs. It's just Midday with Midnight's mane tacked on, while painted like a rotten carrot to shill the anime. The concept art even shows just how lazy the effort was.

New forms should shake things up for an existing Pok?mon's design. When the Kami Trio were introduced, they got flak for being recolours, but when B2/W2 was introduced, they got unique-looking forms that helped improve their viability, except for Thundurus, but at least he looks cool as a Therian.

4. Awkward stat distribution (Particularly bad speed)

Gen VII has to be the worst offender of power creep, since too many new Pok?mon lack the Speed or bulk to be usable in VGC. No player should be forced to use older mons and god-like deities that they don't like, yet are the only ones viable for a merciless tournament, because their new favourites have such a atrocious speed stat.

5. Kanto pandering

It's nice to have throwbacks to the classic that started it all, but there's no need to make new mechanics exclusively for some of the original 151, like Regional Variants.

I'll wait and see if LGPE has enough content after the Champion before I make the switch to a hybrid console, no pun intended.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
That is a very broad complaint and i'd like you to clarify.

Anyway I don't think i'm very much against anything.

The whole feel of that game. I barely played half an hour so I have no idea what was really removed or added, I just know I absolutely struggled to play it at all, even so little.

The character designs, writing, setting and overall aesthetic just rubbed me the wrong way. The literal essence of what that game was did not click with me.

So that's what I mean. As far away from that as possible. I couldn't stand it.

Last edited:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
The whole feel of that game. I barely played half an hour so I have no idea what was really removed or added, I just know I absolutely struggled to play it at all, even so little.

The character designs, writing, setting and overall aesthetic just rubbed me the wrong way. The literal essence of what that game was did not click with me.

So that's what I mean. As far away from that as possible. I couldn't stand it.

I see. I personally loved the whole feel of the game and would love to see more like it.

Years
Anything that I've seen so far in Let's Go bar the cuteness.

Like... I'm not a fan of the type requirement to enter gyms, I'm not a fan of the apparently excessive handholding, and the fact that the rival is overly friendly for my tastes (I mean, why make being cowardly his biggest trait? wtf). All in all, I just want Gen 8 to be a refreshing and new experience that at the same time brings back the excitement I had when I was a kid playing Pokemon games.

Years
Another thing I don't want to see in Gen 8 is another rehash of the Battle Tower. Like, I get it, Battle Tower is interesting, but one of the best things about the Battle Frontier back in Emerald was that every battle facility has some sort of quirk. While I understand that the Batle Frontier may never come back in its entirety, at least give some different modes to make battles interesting instead of standard battle all the time.

Maybe it's just me, though.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
No 30 minute cutscene in the beginning please. And especially no cutscene between choosing the starter and seeing it's information. Any other cutscene for the rest of the game should be fine.

Everything else i'm content with, except for, while unlikely, starting over the series and not allowing old stuff in. I don't mean like in BW1 where there are only new mons but the old stuff still exists and you can trade them in, I'm fine with that, but I mean totally restarting the series with only new stuff. Hopefully that won't happen but they like to surprise us...

Years
No 30 minute cutscene in the beginning please. And especially no cutscene between choosing the starter and seeing it's information. Any other cutscene for the rest of the game should be fine.

That was so annoying! I was determined to start with a female Popplio and I got it but the amount of time wasted was so off-putting that when I finally got it I had no motivation to actually play the game and had to leave it until the next day.

No extremely long cut-scenes and less hand holding. I'm not hopeful though.

Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 11, 2018
Go back to the traditional map, gym, E4, methods of travel.
Stop with all the cutscenes, it felt like an interactive movie rather than a game.

Back