• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: [GENERAL THREAD] Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver Hacking

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2011
Oh, no wonder. I don't have a clue what to do with textures.

I wanted to grab them myself because I'd only seen them on TSR slapped haphazardly into a big montage. If you don't mind my making use of these, do you have a tarball or similar?

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
Not a huge surprise there, all of rotoms forms have their own overworlds. Nice find though.

Potatomuffin

The One And ONLY!!!
Years
Yay! SCV has arrived! if the model structure is the same I should be able to spit out a hack video in a week or less! the plattet and sprites also seem to be the same, so that shouldn't be a problem. And sorry about my stupid question. Also the ROM crashes at random places, even on r4ds (i have one!) such as After wild battle, While walking in grass. Remake, my foot, this is a total remodel of the interface! even the bag is 3D! I can't wait for the English version!

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Yay! SCV has arrived! if the model structure is the same I should be able to spit out a hack video in a week or less! the plattet and sprites also seem to be the same, so that shouldn't be a problem. And sorry about my stupid question. Also the ROM crashes at random places, even on r4ds (i have one!) such as After wild battle, While walking in grass. Remake, my foot, this is a total remodel of the interface! even the bag is 3D! I can't wait for the English version!

There is a patch somewhere to make it not do that...
check gbatemp

Alpha de Splash

DPPtHGSS Researcher
Years
I've looked through the map files and they retain the same structure (minus some little change in the file head size and the note below). In fact my map viewer is finally almost done! (dppt/hgss)

There is something different with permissions, where 06 is the default free movement byte instead of 00 (in New Bark at least).

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2012
Hmmm...

I know where are the trainer data if you haven't find them

They are like around

2FDAxxx or something

Bai.

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2011
Encounters are in /a/0/3/7 and /a/1/3/6. One's HG, one's SS. Contains:

Eight bytes for encounter rate (grass, surfing, rock smash, old rod, good rod, super rod, padding, padding)
Twelve bytes for levels
Twelve words (16-bit) for morning grass Pokémon
Twelve words for day grass Pokémon
Twelve words for night grass Pokémon
Four words for some sort of special encounter; always two from Hoenn and two Sinnoh, and only populated when there are grass Pokémon. Seems like a PokéRadar type of thing, but it also works in caves?
Five dwords for surfing
Two dwords for what appears to be Rock Smash
Five dwords for Old Rod
Five dwords for Good Rod
Five dwords for Super Rod
Four more Pokémon words that seem to correspond to grass, surfing, good rod, super rod. Most of the time these are the four most-common Pokémon available by grass/surf/rods, but there are a few uniques like Clamperl and Poochyena.

Water dwords are { uint8 min_level; uint8 max_level; uin16 pokemon_id; }.

Here's a more readable dump of, um, one of them. I forget which it was. http://pastebin.com/m1f33764d

Need to know what the two specials are, whether that really is Rock Smash, and what areas these correspond to for this to be useful.

Tochukaso

Grass + Bug
Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2009
which is the best anti-piracy patch? because mine doesn't seem to work very well :(

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2011
http://stuff.veekun.com/hgss-trainers-back.png
http://stuff.veekun.com/hgss-trainers-back-frame2.png

I think there's a frame3, though, which I don't have.

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
I've been (slowly) trying to go through and document every NARC file I can. I'm missing a few things in this thread yet but I'll be continuously updating the file at this address: http: //dl.getdropbox .com/u/258536/hgss-filesys.txt Enjoy.

Are there any tools that are being made or worked on?
Most if not all of the DPPt tools still apply... That's the glory of NARC files. The only troubleyou will have is finiding the right one, which is why we are mapping out the contents of each NARC.

Okay, Done! I successfully hacked the game in 5 minutes. That Was Easy!(C) Anyway, the maps seem to be in order! Yay! this makes map hacking a lot easier! heres a link:
You might wanna look into some map "hacking" that is actually productive... Full documentation of the model file format can be found on these very forums, and Alpha aka pokesplash has a promising viewer in the works.

onyx79

Red Dead Revolver
Years
hmmmm it's good to have an evulotion editor since this is the tool the everybody need,I don't know how to do it so I'm just suggesting...

OM3GA Umbr30n

Was Mazot2
Years
  • Age 26
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 3, 2010
Thanks alot Eevee ^_^ Now i can start on my hack

EDIT: T_T need frame 3

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2011
EDIT: T_T need frame 3
Third (or maybe zeroth) frame is a lot easier; they're all just regular tiled sprites using the same palette in the same file. I would imagine anything that can pull sprites from DS games can get them for you.

I've been (slowly) trying to go through and document every NARC file I can. I'm missing a few things in this thread yet but I'll be continuously updating the file at this address: http: //dl.getdropbox .com/u/258536/hgss-filesys.txt Enjoy.
I think I have about everything I could possibly need for veekun by now, but this is excellent and I applaud your efforts.

Full documentation of the model file format can be found on these very forums, and Alpha aka pokesplash has a promising viewer in the works.
Oho. It would be really nice to have flattened maps of all the areas sometime, for a beautiful visual walkthrough of Johto/Sinnoh. I've seen a few for D/P on Bulbapedia, but I suspect they come from lots of screenshots or are manually put together.

Back