• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fighting Games

User Anon 1848

Are you any good at them? Which are your favorites? What's the highest rank you've reached in a fighting game online and offline? Share your opinions and experiences with fighting games in general.

Lastly if anyone has DBFighterz for the Switch then let me know if it plays well on there.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
i suck at fighting games but i still play some of them like smash. never competitively though normally just with friends or by myself if i really feel like it.

Last edited:
Years
Honestly, Fighting games have never really been my thing. Moreso 2D fighting games than anything else. Like, I'm decent at games like Dragon Ball Xenoverse, but FighterZ is a bit much since I feel like it's a bit more technical on how to execute specific combos and the like, so I've never really gotten too much into it.

Years
I'm aaawful at them. That's why I never buy games like Smash despite how popular and fun they seem to be when playing with friends. It's not exactly fun always coming out last or close to last place, so I pass on buying any fighting games. Not too interested in that gameplay style either. ):

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
um i'm not great at them but i still buy smash bc it's a ton of fun even if i'm playing on my own. i just enjoy a game where i get to experiment with lots of different play styles and collect trophies/spirits and stuff. my smash mains are shulk, ness, inkling, young link, mr. game & watch, i rly liked ganondorf for a hot minute in melee...lmfao i'll probably add joker to that list when i hurry tf up and buy his dlc.

uhhhh naruto clash of ninja 2 was p cool. i think i mained like. gaara and neji, but i don't have the game anymore so rip.

Years
btw I guess Smash is an exception for me because like... even though there's strategical thought behind every move (and Smash can get VERY technical), it's casual enough to where non hardcore players can more or less easily get a grasp of it and have fun with it as opposed to something more Tekken or Street Fighter-esque where you have to be good at learning all the moves or the game punishes you for it.

User Anon 1848

I forgot to ask who you guys main. Oh well. To reply to my own OP, my favorite fighting games are Budokai 3, Tekken 5 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2. DBFighterz might make the list too but I found it so frustrating. I put a lot of time into that game yet I still could only pull of a few intermediate combos. The timing you need for extended combos in that game is ridiculous. I can relate to all of you who say that a lot of fighting games are too hard for casual players to get into. That's why I spend a lot of time going against the CPU at higher difficulties or playing against someone I know personally rather than high ranked players. The only fighting game I found some success in online was Tekken 7 and a lot of that had to do with the rage art mechanic allowing you to cheese a comeback out of nowhere. Not that I'm advocating for more casual fighters. I kind of respect that there's a genre that doesn't compromise as much as others.

My mains are Vegeta and Kazuya.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
The only fighting games I've ever put any remote degree of significant time into are Smash, Soul Calibur, and Pokken, although I only really play Smash anymore (and only Ultimate specifically) these days. It really is not a genre for casual gamers, as its gameplay is typically limited to just the fighting (which is naturally off-putting to everyone except those into it--it's made for a specific audience) and getting genuinely good at it is extremely difficult (which some people are not willing to admit). The most casual-friendly one afaik is Smash Bros, but even then....

But as for the what are your mains question, the ones I played the most in each game is basically:

Smash: Luigi/Link (Melee), Ike/Luigi (Brawl), Robin (Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate)
Pokken: Garchomp
Soul Calibur: Link (SC2), Pyrrha/Mitsurugi/Ezio (SC5)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I was a death dealer in Melee and only Melee, lol. Anything else and I'm a button masher at best.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
I used to play KoF and Skullgirls... but I fucking sucked at them, and that actually applies to any fighting game.
I guess the only fighting games I was (somehow) good at were Melty Blood and Smash, but I haven't played any of them in a long while.

For KoF I almost always used the same characters: Kula, Leona, Mei. but at times I would switch one of them for Mature or Shermie. Man KoF girls are so fucking cute.
I liked using Parasoul or Eliza for Skullgirls
For Melty Blood, I liked using Nrvqsr Chaos, but I don't think I had a main there tbh, I liked experimenting with all the characters.
For Smash, I would change the fighters as same with Melty Blood, but my main was mostly Zelda.

Last edited:
Years
I've used to play Tekken 2 and 3 and Soul Blade on Playstation 1. I spent an eternity in them. I've also played first Smash game and one of the Naruto fighter game, but that was years ago.

I should replay Soul Blade soon.

Cid

Years
Are you any good at them? Which are your favorites? What's the highest rank you've reached in a fighting game online and offline? Share your opinions and experiences with fighting games in general.
I'm not particularly good at fighting games, but I do love 'em. Smash, SF, Tekken-- even just watching Pokken makes me want to play it.

My favorite has to be Smash; I bought a Switch pro controller before an actual Switch because my friend kept playing it during our midyear break. I just wanted to know how it felt to really sink my teeth into a fighting game I liked, with actual humans as opponents, so I bought said controller. I learned a lot from that short timespan. Idk about highest rank but offline I think I'm pretty average in terms of skill-level. Better than bad, I hope. 😅

But yeah when I do buy the improved battery life Switch later this month, Smash Ultimate would be one of my first games for it, for sure. The Smash community where I live is very much thriving, so I have a lot of motivation to get into it.

Years
Hello I used to play competitively and still attend events from time to time, although my peak has definitely passed.

Name a fighting game and I've probably played it to extent, in terms of what I "main", my top three would be Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter: Third Strike and Capcom vs SNK 2.

In terms of rank.......I used hold a spot in the top 20 Cody players in Street Fighter 4 for a while, and I have won a tournament which then placed me into a Capcom Pro Tour event (which I couldn't attend unfortunately :<), otherwise I've had a few wins and top 3 positions, my scene was tough for SF4.

In terms of mains.....oh boy most of this will mean nothing to people but:

SF4 - Cody/Ibuki
SF3S - Denjin Ryu, Sean
SFA3 - V-Cody, A-Cody, A-Karin
CvS2 - C/A Cammy/Bison/Sakura
SoulCalibur 2 - Talim, Taki
Tekken 2 - Jun Kazama
Tekken 3, 5 onwards - Bryan Fury

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Absolutely suck at them. The amount of practice they require is just too much.
I'll get Smash when I get a Switch. Remember playing Super Smash 64 and enjoying it a lot, maybe I'll be able to play Smash lmao

Back