The PokéCommunity Forums Entertainment & Media Video Games
Gamer Obscurea; Games in Hiding

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Old January 10th, 2018 (5:57 AM).

Nature: Lonely

PC

Lately I've been posting some family friendly-ish content..... HERE'S SOME HORROR BASED CONTENT!

Dusker's is a game that I would love to see either Markplier or Jackscepticeye play for 2 reasons. First of all, while the game has no jump scares, there are horror based elements that can force the player to think twice about their actions and second, what you have to explore and gather in the game to survive.

In Dusker's, your a pilot/hacking gent who has control of 3 drones and your out in a chunk of space that was recently laid bare; in the literal sense too. There are mining platforms and ships all across the first sector your in and when you send your probes in on one to gather resources such as fuel or scrap for parts, you also gather data or personal journals or logs and slowly uncover what happen to the station's and ships that kill all of the humans, set the ships security to kill everything on sight and why this all happened to begin with.

The game does get darker from what I played, but here are a few spiffy notes to this game.

First of all, when you enter a ship, your view is only based on the Drones and what the drones have equipped, if they have a headlight equipped, then they can see walls among other stuff on the ship itself, including precious resources you would have otherwise missed. Your view is based on these drones and loosing even one can put a strain on your ability to survive. The ships are loaded with dangers for each one you probe, you are given your proper tools to avoid those dangers or cloak and sneak past them; but unless you can keep those tools in working order, they will break mid probe or mission and they will look for you.

You can control 1 drone at a time, or you can use the games built in console to send simple commands to all of the drones at once; which is hand when you want to make a hasty retreat to write in the line of code to move all drones back to your ship and take off. This same console is also used to hack the ships you dock with to open doors and use your radar or tools, it's tedious, but you get the hang of it.

If your up for a space thriller with a good mystery, I recommend checking this one out.

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 12th, 2018 (4:28 PM). Edited January 12th, 2018 by Quto.

The Dig
      PC

There is another game genre I've been neglecting mostly because telltale controls the market with 'choose your own adventure set in this popular IP' games and I'm having some trouble trying to find some more mature content than the family friendly stuff than what I have my hands on now.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF POINT'N'CLICK GAMES!!! Or rather, the world where the choose your own adventure could lead you to your own death in about roughly 7 minutes if you tried to solve a puzzle the way the puzzle makers didn't intend. The Dig is not one of those types of puzzle games but it does have a good ending and a bad one if your clever enough, but it is a fun play through of Science Fiction an the story is just....well, 'Marvelous' I guess.

The game's story centers around 3 astronauts who are tasked with a mission to fly to an asteroid the size of 'insert country or state here.' This chunk of stone was heading towards earth until it just 'stopped' in mid space. They send a shuttle to blow it it up and hope to move the Asteroid debris out of Earth's flight path, though after the explosives fail, it reveals an alien 'temple' inside. After messing with a few metal plates, the Asteroid turns into a giant glass-light based crystal and leaves earth's orbit to some other unknown chunk of the galaxy with the 3 astronauts inside. You're now on an alien world with technology more advanced than what you understand; Ship's constructed of light, creatures unearthly from what you understand and.... the world or where you land is incredibly barren. None of the aliens that built THAT ship are to be found, not even skeletons; it's almost bizarre. From here, you attempt to explore the world you've landed in and try to understand it's technology so you can create a ship to leave the planet or become victim to what the race had become victim too.

Something else worthy of note is most of the games cut scenes such as the shuttle launch, the arrival among other scene are animated; not in terms of sprite animation, but traditional hand-drawn animation like Dragons Lair or Space Ace. Another small fact I discovered while doing a little research, Steven Spielberg wanted to make a movie based on this game's story based on a TV show he watched called 'Amazing Stories' however the movies production would be incredibly expensive so he had to shelve it until a few developers came along and wanted to make it into a game. The game is up on Steam and it's worth a playthrough if you like puzzle games with a story and some pretty good animation on a distant world far from home.

Old January 15th, 2018 (2:49 PM). Edited January 15th, 2018 by Quto.

GAME NUMBER 55!.... After counting the games I and other's have posted along with more to come, there really is some form of market here for these obscure titles and love out there for the ignored.

Revolt
        PC, Android, iOS, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Linux

Alright ladies and gem's, I have a treat for you. Who here is tired of Mario Kart for the N64?.... No? Ok, fair enough; but would you like to play a mario kart game where every driver was an RC car that some how gained sentience to just want to 'RACE' via lightning and have never been seen since?! That's the story of Revolt and you could probably only read that in the manual.

The game has no real story; but this game has a bigger cult follow than Magi-Nation and you could also claim it's roughly on par with Rocket League in terms of Fun Factor.

Int he game, you race as an RC car; any in the library of cars you have access too. You unlock more cars by completing races, earning trophies and so on. No big deal, right? Well, here's the cool part. The game has so many things that either be unlocked or attained through mods that pretty much amps up the fun factor. Example I suppose; in a standard Gran Prix, your facing off roughly about 8-12 other RC cars at once. There is a mode that can be unlocked in the game where you can race as one of the miniature cars from the games main menu and once you unlocked that mode, your racing up to 40 different RC cars all minitaurized.... THAT'S INSANE and a quite humerous race to actually pull off. The race tracks you race on are actually fun and creative; There's a neighborhood with balls being bounced around as if kids we're plaing in the street, houses to race through, obstacles such as buckets and what not to avoid. There's a museum where the starting line is basically a red security laser, your tripping the alarm 3 times while your racing through and so on!

Once your done racing all of the tracks, you can make your own. The game comes with it's own track editor across all platforms with the exception of the Android and iOS devices. You can build your own track's with the track editor, setup the powerups and go have fun on your own.

With the mention of the track editor, here's where things get a bit more interesting. For the PC version, the modding community behind revolt have come up with their own editor and created their own outrageous tracks with parts that the track editor never included such as loop-to-loops, boost pads and just so amny different places they have built. Tracks not your thing? Take it a step further and race in a custom car made by the community, Race as Bender's head from that one futurama episode where he sold his body or as lightning mcqueen from pixar's Cars and have him crash on purpose for the lulz! Or just pick a classic car if your into the old vehicles and race as that instead, you can create your own custom vehicles is the short answer and make them to be anything you want if you know your hand around modeling ok and don't mind editing text files. There are new tracks and cars STILL being produced today!

Tired of Racing, there are battle tracks for the sake of fighting though these games are reserved for the multiplayer end; the developers could never create the AI properly to fight other players.... Still, to add an option, you could argue this is where the developers of Rocket League got inspiration to develop 'Super Sonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars' before the moved onto their next RC project 'Rocket League' which now has it's own E-League of gamers...

Last feature to this I can mention up front is, for some reason; they allow you to change the games physic's based on what platform you play it on.... This is only available for the PC version of what I seen so far; but you can make the physics realistic, based on a games console and so on. It's nothing much, but I can see the appeal to it for more seasoned gamers in games like Mario Kart.

The game's modding community went out of their way to create their own patched EXE so you can run the PC version of Revolt on newer computers.... which is kinda badass in it's own right to show how much love for this classic RC title has.

You can find the game for PC for free here if your up to try it out yourself.
        https://www.revoltrace.net/downloads.php

NOW the other note to this game, more related to the Android side and iOS..... I would recommend avoiding them. The control isn't anything worth writing home about and while Revolt's sequels are on these platforms, they're just recycling both tracks AND cars from the first Revolt while adding a couple new cars, which is the easiest thing you can do in the first Revolt; tracks a little harder but if your saying it's a sequel, there needs to be newer content than the cars they added. To top it off; if anyone remembers what I talked about Mobile gaming being nothing more but a pay wall; the newer revolts are just that. You have a battery of 'races' you can do, can only race so many times in the day, once the battery is out, you have to pay to recharge it or get 'good' power ups or better cars... It's developers like this that have soured Revolt for me in the permanent sense that I have avoided the Mobile port to ignore it; it's not worth a moment or even a minute of your time and that's saying a lot.

Old January 19th, 2018 (5:20 AM). Edited January 20th, 2018 by Quto.

Never Ending Light
          PC
          Play the game here!

Alright; Another form of video games that haven't been touched on; FLASH GAMES!.... Well; THIS flash game in particular. To explain a little to the younger generation: Flash is slowly becoming, if it already isn't, obsolete. Yet with flash, you had the ability to animate, make cool looking effects on websites and of course, create video games. You had thousands of sites that would promote flash games that you would probably play on the schools computer other than learning because learning was boring and even then for most American kids; school never properly taught you how to prepare for life such as how to pay taxes, rent or bills... THAT aside; Flash games we're also mostly easy to create; more easier to create than making games in Game Maker whatever version they promote now and I mean EASY; There we're complicated things in terms of scripting, but it was still an easy process.... Moving on before I get stuck teaching more about old computer history.

There we're a bunch of Flash games that we're actually awesome to play through, such as Bloons before it became a Mobile game on your Iphone and Android tablet or Detective Grimoire before it was remade for computers and I would want to play a sequel to that. There is one game however that I remember, even in my age that left an impact on me for it's pseudo horror elements and music that accompanied it with some minor comedy elements; Never Ending Light.

In the game; you play as a guy who is brought along on a tour into a cave by your girlfriend as a birthday gift. As you enter the depths beneath the earth on an elevator, they do a demonstration where they cut the lights to show how pitch black true darkness can be. (If you go on any Cave Tours, this is sort of to be expected and it can be kinda fun, no matter your age.) The lights go out and your girlfriend makes out with you, when they try to turn the lights back on, they don't come back on. The guide thinks there's a technical difficulty so she grabs her flashlight to lead you back to the elevator though the moment she does, a creature pops out of now where and kills her straight off. Your now trying to escape cave.

I won't go into much more details because this is just a game you need to play for yourself. The elements this game incorporates are woven brilliantly, the aspect and stress to escape can be felt as your trying to find your way around in the darkness and play through this tale. It's just something that we really just an experience to play through. There's very little wrong to give this game a con about with the exception of the graphics a little bit. Though to be fair, this game released back in 2009 and Flash was still on it's rise before it's decent so some exceptions can be given. Especially since this was roughly the idea of an Independent title.

If you decide to play this game; there's something I want to mention. You'll notice at the title page for the game, it's "1 of 3." The developers behind this game never released a 2 of 3 or anything else. Even the gentlemen behind the game never came back to even work or produce a sequel. To this day, there are mentions about this game over forums, reddit posts and even a WIKIA page devoted to this game where fans of the first title played this and asked about the game and wanted to know what would be in the sequel. There have been people offering to do voice work all the way up to now for those who tracked down the original creator to offer it up and yet he still doesn't want to make it.

This is just a game similar to Half-Life 3 except the reasons of why it's not made are different. Galf Life 3 isn't being made because Steam makes enough money as is. This isn't being made because the developer just simply doesn't want too. Don't get me wrong if there are any who find information that the guy wants to make it and so on, this game is reaching the age of 9 and it's running on an obsolete platform that you still need to pay royalties too to just even animate with the software... And even then, it's questionable if your newer browser will still run it. My point being is; if there hasn't been an update for this long nor even concept work and the reply from the developer is 'I'll think about it.' Then he's given up.

This then becomes another game in obscurity; and I wanted to bring some 'light' to it. No pun intended.

Old January 21st, 2018 (10:05 AM).

Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon
            PC

Alright dear readers of the obscure, I want to talk about another small, personal favorite of mine in terms of obscure video games. 'Treasure Planet: Battle at the Procyon.'
            Before I get any groans from anyone on movie video games either being good or not good; I want to say up front, I completely agree with you mostly because when the game is developed, the developers either have seen the movie or don't see the movie and try to build a video game around it. Either they have to invent story to expand on the movie some because; though the movie was about 1-2 hours of media content, you could probably breeze through that in about roughly 50 minutes and ask what else is there? Other times, the developers do this for a quick buck; if you watched AVGN episodes and his constant war path with LJN games, then you know what I mean. Heck, the Treasure Planet for the PS2, the 3D platformed was nothing more but a clone of another popular game for the PS2, JAK.... Just done poorly.

However, this is a game based on a movie Disney pretty much didn't want nothing to do with. This title's story takes place AFTER the events of the treasure planet movie. Jim Hawking, now an admiral captain on board his own ship, leading his own crew after recently graduating and is given an assignment to investigate a group of pirates attacking and raiding local ports and villages. From here, you see Iron clad ships that have appeared from nowhere while able to fly/sail through the nebula where solar sail ships are rendered useless and start attacking and raiding everyone and the whole game's plot evolves from here.

The majority of the game is nothing more but ship battles, not a platformer. You get your own ship, you have to buy and upgrade your own weapons with your own load out. Recruit your crew from gunners to helmsman to engine operations, you have the ability to set courses and locations to attack, you setup your ships speed and just compete in old-fashion naval battles and so on. To be blunt; the game isn't even complicated being a naval/pirate aged game; in fact, the controls are easy to grasp and while it takes some time to understand how to make the tight turns and how ship combat works, the whole game is actually an enjoyable experience. You see what happens to Jim, where his choices take him and if he see's Silver again. You learn a little or rather a mentioning about the race who built the tech used for treasure planet; the whole game is for lack of a better word, a sequel to one of the Disney underrated film's Treasure Planet. For a movie game; this is actually playable.

The multiplayer is also... Roughly function-able. Disney shut-down the multiplayer server for this title years ago; though there have been work around's to play the game over LAN and via Tunngle or Hamachi.

You can actually pick up this Disney title over Steam for about $10 if your interested if you search for it.

Old January 22nd, 2018 (9:20 AM).

I do apologize for this post for no new title into this list and quick reviews of games that either deserve some form of last hurrah or credit; I have some more spare time to ask that if I went on to make Youtube video's on these abandoned beauties; would anyone be willing to watch them? It may even help generate and expand the search of other games to track down.

Next game I post will be a ways off the radar and deal with Samurai's.

Old January 28th, 2018 (9:11 PM). Edited February 2nd, 2018 by Quto.

Samurai Legend Musashi
                PS2
                Developed by Square Enix

Going old school in terms of Samurai combat; this was a game that was reviewed and punished hard over it's Camera and Graphic style used while others in terms of reviewers either praised combat or felt it was too easy... I then say 'hold my beer,' go fetch a video by Dunkey where he rants at people who do game reviews for a living and how much garbage each of them have caused to hinder a games progress in the market, keeping it from finding a home or at least a place to be played.

Going into the game when you start out, your a slightly nude kid falling out of the sky like a comet crashing towards Earth with an old weapon clenched in your hand. With no memory of who you are, you are raised and trained by a kung-fu cat.... or Weapon Master Cat until you spot a girl being taken against her will and you give chase after her and the rest of the game evolves from here where you rescue her and include more anime tropes than you can shake a stick at.

The games presentation is actually incredibly awesome, the art style is something you would see out of a traditional manga from the thick outlines over the characters you fight down to the word bubbles you see in any traditional manga. The combat works incredibly well with your standard hack and slash mechanics and being able to run around jump about as if you we're in a platformer; There are even Combos like you would see in a fighting game, each with their own effects and uses that you can either buy OR steal by learning from your opponents..... I'm not kidding about that last tidbit. From what I've played, each enemy in this title has some combo or skill individually you can learn from them if you can time your actions while focusing on them alone, which to actually survive this game, you'll need to learn some stuff from these things from your opponents. Some combos you learn from them are handy to deal a lot of damage while other combos can help you dodge and get behind your opponent.

If I had any real major complaints; I have to agree with the reviews from sites such as Game Spy or Gamespot at the time when they said the game's Camera is terrible.... And I agree with them. The Camera when your in the outdoors is great, you can see what's around you and have the ability to dodge your death being handed to you. When you get into an enclosed space such as a cave or a tunnel, then your Camera is just..... bad. It's hard to get a grasp of your bearings and combat is a little more difficult; still it doesn't take away from the game's overall charm and still has some replay ability to this day; If you can stomach some of the hokey Anime-Manga Acting from the early 2000's.

If you can move past those flaws; you have a rough gem in the same artistic Vein as Okami... Where Okami's art style is in literal use of a scroll, ink and brush; this game is in pen and ink with comic-manga tones and shading. For an attempt at a platformer from Square Enix, this is actually kind of impressive and I recommend giving it a playthrough at least once or rather give it a chance. It really is fun.

Old January 31st, 2018 (4:19 AM).

Wonder Boy
                  in
                  Monster World

Sega Genisis, Sega Master System

This is a series that isn't that very well known; granted, you have people who look at Wonder Boy: Dragon's Curse and probably have played it on their current consoles and PC's with those updated hand drawn graphics... Which is kinda awesome; even giving you the ability to use your password from the original game to pick up your place, that's a whole other level of backwards compatibility in of itself!

But for those who have played Dragon's Curse, beat it and wonder if that's it or if there was more?.... In that same style?.. SADLY NO! But; I do want to shed light on what helped spark Dragon's Trap, because if you googled it, Dragons Trap was Wonder Boy 3. Wonder Boy started in Monster World.

Wonder Boy in Monster World is, I guess for lack of a better term, is a better version of Zelda 2: Link's Adventure on the NES... For those who can get by Zelda 2 and consider that a classic; awesome, I just didn't have much fun having my hands and other body part's handed to me on an 8-bit platter every 30 minutes, even after going to towns, healing and coming back to 'git gud.' You begin the game as a kid who just wants to fight monster's and kill the source that's plaguing the land with them... You then pick up a sword and go on an adventure; that's pretty much it. You get your first spell, you learn you can only cast it so many times per day until you rest at an Inn, you learn you can get bigger weapons, earn cash from creatures you beat up and have to learn how to get close and back off in battles when you learn to fight. You find allies who will hang around you until you die or rest at the inn, buy potions to recover your health mid fight- I could go on, but I would rather the player or reader find out everything themselves. The game's graphics are colorful, there are a wide variety of enemies with different behaviors you have to watch and figure out where they'll move next, where they spawn, there are towns you can rest in and gear you can purchase as you explore the massive world without a map to save your World from the Monster's t hat cause it's chaos...

If you into a new challenge and want to give the earliest game in the series a shot; it's available on Steam and there's the ability to add mods to this old Title; Sega Re-vamped their Mega Drive collection and the features for it by... Well, a lot. They've given you a massive 3D space with a Sega Genesis and a CRT TV with a wood shelf to contain all the Sega Games you bought from Steam along with a clock on the wall where you can manipulate the time the room is in; Crack of dawn 6AM or 8PM evening with the crickets outside chirping for ambience. If you head over to the wood shelf, there is an option to play the games with your favorite Rom Hack and there exists a Steam Workshop for game mods; to give more idea on the kind of mods available, someone went ahead and made a mod to play the original Cave Story on the Sega Genesis.... And a Smash Bros. Rip-off, which isn't that good, but it's still a good effort. XD

Sega really deserves some love. Even after the Dreamcast failed, Sega support's it's fans through and through. Gathering the top programmers who developed fan games to come together and develop Sonic Mania and one fan working on the Spartan Console Project; which is suppose to be Dreamcast 2 or whatever they name it. They're developing a new IP even to promote out here in the west; it shows some news they're getting on their feet somehow. Let's hope they get there all the way.

Old February 2nd, 2018 (12:15 AM). Edited February 2nd, 2018 by Quto.

Touch Detective
                    Andriod, iOS, DS, 3DS

A personal favorite among the point and click game's I've come across and this title is second to my top personal favorite.... Well, this series; Touch Detective. This is a DS title that has probably been heard about from a Nintendo Power or game informer, but noone probably never bothered picking it up to really play or ask what it was about... since a large chunk of the DS library we're Point and Click's or at least a handful of them, good ones too like Time Hollow or Hotel Dusk.... Actually, those are barely touched on today; I should probably get back to those at some point as their own po- MOVING ON.

In touch Detective, you play as a young girl who works as a detective in an attempt to get noticed by the detective society to earn more work as a detective and gain more fame to your family's name. How you get the name touch detective... I'd rather the player figure out for themselves other than using their touch screen to 'touch' things. There are a couple things about this title that sort of give it; it's own charm and it's own tale or feel; first off being the setting of where the little girl lives. The whole town; including her parental guardian butler are just off the wall 'strange.' The butler who works for you is an inventor who uses an 'Iron Maiden' as his bed, you best friend has a disturbing love of banana's, Ghost's run the haunted house as a tourist attraction, the landlord of the local apartments is a bird who appears to be the most sane out of everyone and your main villain is a cornstalk.... Not literally, just some guy who dresses up as a stalk of corn and considers you his rival... I mean, come on... The surreal nature of this town and it's characters are one of the defining aspects to the game and you as the observer observing it; it's hard to not know what goes through everyones head.

Your probably also going to ask me, ok; everyone is weird, so what? Does that mean because everyone has some form of fault that the cases are also easier to solve because you know what they are?... Not entirely. The cases you deal with in the game are just as bizarre as your citizens, a handful are straight forward though still in their own little world, but they are also down to earth to grasp.... I guess for example, one of the cases you are dealt in the second game is that your best friend had her 'noodles' or pasta stolen and replaced with white one's... It's a bizarre case in the sense why would the thief go out of their way to steal noodles only to replace them? You don't know who it is, or why they have done it so you go to investigate why. Another case being that your best friend had her dream stolen from her; you have to go on a quest to figure out how that dream got stolen and who did it... So on and so forth.

Which leads the the next to last element of what make's this game enjoyable to play through; the puzzles.... Which are incredibly annoying over their difficulty. Understand that in any point and click, most puzzles are pretty straight forward while you have others you need to think about or require the aide of a guide. This game might require the aide of a guide because most of the puzzles can't be solved or done unless you hit a switch in-game. Not a switch you can move or touch, but an event... Such as; you go to a door and see a complicated lock but the character doesn't know how to open it. You have to go find a character in game to tell you how to solve the lock before you can go back and unlock the thing yourself.... Same thing goes for a handful of the puzzles in this series that's hard to grasp on; If you can solve the game without a guide and somehow caught onto it's humor, then your more brilliant than I am and I tip my skull hat in my Avatar to you.

Once your done solving all of the game's cases, there is another mode you can play through naturally where you can walk about the game outside of normal game play and interact with the denizens of the game's world. Some have mini quests where you need to use you detective skills to beat a couple kids at Hide and Seek or talk to people who you've helped before after the case finished and see what happens to them afterwards. So there's a little more in the game to go through with a little more extra content on the side, sort of like the mash potatoes to a steak dinner or rice to your hibachi meal.

If the game sounds good and interesting to you, you may ask why has it not gotten much attention in the USA? If your like me in my early years, you looked at Touch Detective, thought it was another type of game that wouldn't fulfill whatever money I spent on it and was focused on getting the next pokemon game or the new Metroid Hunters that was coming out.... More or less, I don't think it sold very well in the USA to spark or warrant a sequel to be published out here.... OVER IN JAPAN however, the game has multiple sequels, the cartridge case above the post should prove it; 2-3 different arcade like games for the DS and 3DS and probably has it's own anime series.... It kinda makes me sad, I want to play these games and see what kind of zany cases the Heroine takes on.

Well readers, maybe we can still try to help spark SOME interest. If you want, the game is up on Android and iOS and you can pick them both up for free and play through the first case or 2 for free. If you like the game and it's Zany nature, there's a pay wall where you can purchase both cases at once or one at a time and beat the rest of it on your own terms..... I'm normally against pay walls; but for a title like this, I recommend it.

Old February 3rd, 2018 (3:22 PM).

Our Darker Purpose
                      PC

Folk's who read about obscure games, and I still hope to hear from multiple people about other games tossed out of the light, I want to talk about a game I have searched for ages so much that I joined OnePlay in an attempt to track it down.... only to be treated with the middle finger of not getting the previous account from Indie Royale back so I had to attempt other measures and discovered I also picked it up over humble bundle. Understand that when I say 'searched' I spent over several hours looking for this game, in the back of my mind, I remember the premise and the story, I even played it, but I could NEVER remember the title. Like Consuming Shadow, this is another title that's easy to forget and this is a game lost to time nearly that I want to give a little credit to. INTO THE BREACH AND OFF THE RADAR~ I introduce you to 'Our Darker Purpose.'

Our Darker Purpose center's around a little girl, growing up in a home for 'lost children' or an orphanage. Your living basic life, eating gruel until one day, the head of the place or care taker disappears. She goes missing for weeks in fact and the children start getting hungry and a bit more primal; loud and tougher kids become the high end of the food chain as the start resorting to cannibalism and end up killing most of the younger, weaker and more timid children with the exception of you. Facing death, something within you 'unlocks' and you can suddenly use Pyrokinesis and spew balls of fire from your finger tips at will. You then start searching the home for the care taker while disposing of the other children who would want to kill you for various reasons.

The game itself is like a title out of a Tim Burton Film if he wanted to switch from developing movies to developing video games. Each of the levels are randomly generated, thus earning their moniker for rouge-like and each game is always different. There are barely any similar levels, though I do want to point out that this game is incredibly hard. It's hard along the vein of 'The Binding of Issac,' and while there are 'level up' mechanics for each enemy you fight, they only give so much of a boost; everything else, you have to have some constant practice, patience and the skill developed for a game like this to survive later floors or later levels. I never could get to the end of this game, either because I lacked the skill or I lacked the luck to get the proper buffs in between levels and lacked the strategy to pull it off.

After some more digging, I started looking up and discovered the game got greenlit over on steam before Steam Greenlight bit the dust.
                      You can find the original site here: http://www.ourdarkerpurpose.com/wp/
                      You can also find the Steam Page here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/262790/Our_Darker_Purpose/

... Next Time, I'm posting something from survival games. Or at least something from a certain series.

Old February 3rd, 2018 (3:32 PM). Edited February 3rd, 2018 by Thomas the Shinyhunter.
                      There are no game overs. Only continues.

Nature: Relaxed
                        Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time isn't so much obscure, just underrated for me. It's really unique and innovative controlling the Mario Bros, past and present, in the classic style of the beloved M&L series, something only returned to in Inside Story (And Paper Jam, but we don't talk about that mess of glitches. If you glitch correctly, you can beat it in about a psyducking minute), but replacing the Baby Bros with Bowser. With the Superstar Saga remake out now, I hope at some point, a PiT remake comes to the Switch, or whatever new console Nintendo has at the time. The writings's good, the gameplay is top notch, and the timeline is even more confusing. Can't wait.
                        Kids, there's nothing more cool then being hugged by someone you like, but if someone tries to touch you in a place or in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable, that's no good.

It's your body, no one has the right to touch you if you don't want them to.

So what do you do? First, you say NO! Then, you get outta there.

Most important, you gotta tell someone you trust. Like your parent, your teacher, a police officer.
                        Old February 3rd, 2018 (5:15 PM). Edited February 3rd, 2018 by Arsenic.
                        Flying High

Nature: Brave

SPEC OPS: THE LINE

Are you interested in something a lot more serious in your shooter? Spec ops is the game you want to play. If you can stomach the extremely generic (by design) 3rd person shooting gallery gameplay, this game has a lot to say.

It is a modern take on works such as Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now, that touches (quite heavily) on topics more relevant to today's wars (and the wars of yesteryear as well.

It has left many an avid shooter fan jaded and not wanting to pick up shooters for a week or more,

you know... it's very hard to explain a game without explaining the game, just go play it, the story is fantastic!
                        Old February 16th, 2018 (12:12 PM).

Lost in Blue
                          Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii

Another great game by Konami.... and ruined and tossed into the garbage bin of forgotten games deserving a second chance.

For anyone who read my experiences with Survival Kids, this game is basically the same premise in some sense; though instead of a young child, your a teen who gets shipwrecked on an island in the middle of nowhere and have some additional game mechanics to work with. Your basically attempting to survive by gathering materials, forging weapons and tools which can break from overuse, forging backpack space and making your own furniture. The difference between Survival Kids and Lost in Blue, aside it being in 3D, is that you now have to keep up with a 'partner' and their health and it gets complicated as the later games go on... and I mean REALLY complicated in some sense, but I want to focus on the first two games.

You meet your partner early on in the game while looking for shelter and they become in charge of cooking your meals. IF you need to move them somewhere, you take their hand and guide them through the jungle, kinda like a romantic couple surviving together except one of them has a sprained ankle that needs hospital attention? It's kinda hard to explain the latter though it's a vid game and logic can be anything goes.

As far as herbs and mushrooms go, like Survival Kids, you don't know what does what until you experiment, though in the first, once you experimented, it won't tell you outright or even record what does which so some memory of what gives what boost or poison or status effect is needed and to keep from getting a game over and accidentally killing your partner, eat the stuff first before bringing it back to eat for dinner for consumption of dinner. Another difference is there aren't multiple endings like in Survival Kids, your basic objective is to survive and escape the island together. You explore the island for a way to get off whether it's finding materials to build an awesome raft or locating a pirate base or...... well, anything. You simply need to find and get off the island and that's it.

Konami really did a number to themselves over this IP however.... I mean the game is fun, all of the iterations are challenging and I own all of the current Lost in Blue game's on the Nintendo DS. In fact, if you can find a copy for about $5-$10, I strongly recommend picking it up. The game spans over 3 iterations, first one being a challenging classic, the second being more forgiving and more challenging and the last being difficult and fun all together. Though with 3 games from this series and a Wii title, you think Konami would attempt to publish a 3DS title, right?... Well, With them re-branding themselves into the casino-slot-machine business and only making METAL GEAR games with the newest iteration being about ZOMBIES among every other person on the internet gathering data and republishing how Konami is the worst company to develop any game under with EA game's being the runner up, it ain't going to happen in our lifetime or our existence. Lost in Blue had 4 releases, 3 on the DS and 1 that didn't do well on the Wii.... because it's the Wii. If they ever do return to game development and this title has SOME form of acknowledgement to develop, they'll probably take it, rename it, rebrand it to.... I don't know, Lost in Aqua or Lost in Disney World, survive on the left overs from the park visitors, escape the park only using what you find in t he park; get goofy's head and go Five Nights at Freddies on the park visitors!

.... Whatever the reason, this is another chunk of evidence to add to 'that' pile of reasons that Konami must either go out of business or die again... I find another overlooked Konami Game that get's butchered or screwed over, I'll have a nice Konami BBQ.... Maybe BOKTAI!..... Nah, not yet.

Old February 18th, 2018 (11:04 PM).

Toonami Lockdown
                            PC

... Alright; If there are any fan's of the old Toonami, those of you who had internet access and logged in all those years ago to play this old title; I hope you had a badass time like I did playing this old game.

A little background to those without cable TV and only have access to the internet or just like reading about the old days of something that was good and probably is still great. Toonami was a block of time on Cartoon Network where they would originally promote action-cartoons, not the slap-shtick stuff of Tom and Jerry or the comedy based stuff such as Power Puff Girls or Dexter's Laboratory or even Johnny Bravo. I mean shows that relied purely on action as the center piece of nearly every episode such as Batman Beyond, Samurai Jack or Big O.... Fun fact, Japan based Big O off of the Batman Animated Series cartoons without knowing what to do about it's story, it's story and characters being an odd confusing mess.... IT DESERVES A SECOND CHAN- moving on. Later on, it became a bigger gateway for anime translated, dubbed and brought to the airways, fresh out of Japan where we now get Black Clover, Both Dragon Ball Super and Kai, Cowboy Bebop and so on.... Well, not fresh, more like they sent us cookies and the cookies we're translated to English.

Toonami sort of kicked into higher gear when they presented Tom, the current host of the whole block whose job as a 3D character is to run the show. When the guys running the block wanted to do more fun stuff for their block, they did and started doing 'side' stories with Tom, Sarah and the Absolution. They then proceeded to create GAMES based off those series. Trapped in Hyperspace was a game based in Toonami's universe where it was mostly a 3D 3rd Person Shooter with guns and so on. Though I'm not here to talk about a game noone can no longer play anymore, I'm here to talk about Lockdown, a game that can still be 'technically' played... Sort of; it's complicated so bear with me while I explain the backstory to the game Lockdown.

In the show, Tom and Sarah come across an old ship giving off a distress signal; trapped in a tractor beam when they got too close. They release the DOK's, which are combat based defense probes or combat based 'Clydes,' which are hit with an EMP; loosing control over them from a long distance, insert science techno-babel where they give the players on Earth full control of the DOK's to go and destroy the Tractor Beam thing. Each week, a new episode from Lockdown will play on TV, opening up the next level in the game and providing players with a slightly expanded arsenal of weapons to help you fight your way through. We still have the TV show of them A-ok so we won and Toonami could keep going!

The game play was..... actually an interested blend of shooter and RPG. You would have your DOK or party or DOKs laid out like in a traditional RPG fashion with different weapons your equipped to each one assigned to a button along with an accessory like a shield. When their ATB bar filled up, if you clicked on a weapons or pressed the key for that weapon, then your mouse would become an aiming reticle. You would then have to point the reticle to the enemy and click to fire your weapon; you could fire on certein body part's to disable certain enemy abilities or just do damage; you would then have to throw up your shield to counter any damage you tool so long as your shield could hold before it breaks. For a 2D game attempting something like this was kind of awesome and it was fun to play through and it's a game I would consider classic or a retro title I can keep coming back to in order to play and still have fun.

NOW, the bad news, where this is going to get complicated; you can no 'longer' play the game on Cartoon Network. After Toonami died and went off the air for a good while before surprising us with a resurgence as an April Fools Joke, they removed their entire website; the games they had, wallpapers and so on. It's... Saddening for gent's who we're fans of the action block itself; I even enjoyed Toonami Jet Stream when they had Shows like MAR; Marchen Awakens Romance on the run there and prince of Tennis. However, there is still... Sort of a way to play it. Fans of Toonami with a degree in computer's or some for of hacking skill started literally digging into cartoon network and I mean they digged hard. They we're able to rip every single video game from Toonami's old site; apparently, they never deleted the site, just permanently sealed off access to it until our friendly-ish computer nerds came across the files, copied them, downloaded them and began setting up a file download to anyone smart enough to set-it-up. Among the files, Toonami Lockdown was one of the few to grab, but to get it working, you would need some old tech software and a web-server to set it up. The software being Adobe Shockwave, which can still be found and installed from old archives and as far as a webserver; if you got it or know how to setup a pseudo server, you can play it. There use to be a site that setup these old games, but they went out. Hopefully there's someone still out there with this title running or a tutorial on how to get it running.

Before I sign off; if there are any die-hard fans of Toonami around who enjoy some decent heavy base music that sort of crosses between techo, rave or mix; the folks over at Toonami arsenal have music albums based on the action block... No, I'm not joking if your asking Toonami had their own music to sell off.

The first one being Deep Space Bass which is difficult to locate a hard copy of to begin with. The following, Black Hole Megamix never hit store shelf's period, but the music to it is pretty good, at least for my taste's in music it is. And to top it off, if you've been living under a Rock, the original Toonami crew is re-introducing the stories or 'The Intruder over Toonami and the another one being 'the countdown,' maybe they'll do Lockdown this year.

Old February 20th, 2018 (12:30 PM).
                            It's... kinda effective?

Nature: Quiet
                            Lets break out the old DS and see what I find... You know what, I lied. I'm just going to talk about Infinite Space, like I always do when someone mentions obscure titles.

As far as I'm aware, this was the most extensive game made for the DS. It has a extremely large number of characters that you can recruit (Ranging from the freebies, to the path locked, and a few guide dang its), but that pales in comparison to the selection of ships the game gives you to choose from (See characters for how this selection spans), as well as all the options you have for customizing them via the games module system. You could also modify each individual ships weapons (Well, with the exception of those vessels that have locked weapons) with a wide variety of options going from the standard single target laser, all the way up to the extremely heavy hitting quantum torpedos.

Fleet battles aren't the only fights you'll be getting into. The game also has a rudimentary melee combat system, though it's one that most people hate and the game could easily have went without.

But back to space combat. It's not just limited to lining your ships up in front of a enemy fleet and pounding them into space dust. If you wanted to, you could give em the death by a thousand cuts treatment with a swarm of strike-craft or - on a second playthrough - mechs. Though I wouldn't really recommend this - A full swarm of strike-craft, while able to rip anything to shreds, is also going to lag the DS a lot. As will using a fleet made up of the larger ships.

Or you could just wedge your fleet right next to a enemy fleet and board them. I'd recommend against this though, because the melee system is terribad.

As for the story, given the number of branching paths it will take multiple playthroughs (4 iirc, although they get easier since NG+ keeps character levels and money) if you want to see everything. As for the plot itself, as much as I like the game I dislike that it pretty much gives up one of the games main plot-points within the first five minutes. (The writers tried hiding it behind the standard sci-fi mumbo-jumbo, but it's not really that hard to figure out.) As for the plot itself, the game was inspired by Arthur C. Clarkes novel Childhoods End, so if you've read that (or seen one of the tv adaptations of it) then you'll have some idea as to the ending.

Also, if you've ever watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes you'd like this game. I've seen frequent comparisons between that and this game.
                            Old February 24th, 2018 (5:40 AM). Edited February 24th, 2018 by Quto.

Grandia

Ok folks, BIG QUESTION! Who here has heard of Grandia?... You've only heard of Grandia 2?.. Only because it was one steam?! and the port is just breaking down EVERY 30 MINUTES?! NOONE HAS EVER BOTHERED TO LOOK FOR THE FIRST ONE?!

... Ok, Before I get into things; I want to explain Grandia to anyone who hasn't picked up a controller or those who HAVE picked up a controller, have a soft spot for RPG's and never bothered looking at this series. Grandia is a game series as Final Fatnasy is a series to itself. None of the games 'link' or create a story, rather they are as separate from one another and each story is encapsulated to itself. When most people think of a good game from the series, they point to the 2nd game claiming it's the best of the series and I agree with them. However this is a topic of games over-looked and I think the first installment of the game released on the PSX is just as good.

Why do I think that though? Well, first off; the whole opening is animated beautifully! You pop in the disk, wait for the game to load, and before you get to the title screen where you can load or start a new game, your treated to an opening with a whole sense of adventure about it and it's just looks freaking beautiful. A taste of what your we're going to encounter on this long adventure. The music is beautifully orchestrated and I'm just a sucker for old Anime or the scenes in the opening that have the old drawing style. When I mean old Anime, I mean aged anime where it was produced between the 90's and 2001, it's a style of art I grew up with when I first got into anime, so it's sort of a 'look rose-tinted set of glasses' thing for me on that end, so bare with me.

How does the rest of the game play out? Your a preteen named Justin, setting out on an adventure with friends where your lives are constantly put in peril from monster's, soldiers from another country looking for an ancient city and ancient traps established to protect those cities. That aside, He claims he would go out and claim his fortune and make his named reknown when or if he finds the ancient city called Angelou along with his friends and companions he makes along his long journey to the other end of their world. Such as meeting his love interest and saving her from being kidnapped and betrothed to some dumbass. Finding a small village of half-Canines and humans as they go to the 'edge' of their world to explore beyond it and raiding ruins for treasures and tools to better defend yourself. The game feels like having an adventure through a world your travel as your traveling with your companions. For most people going through some point of a hell-ish day or hell-ish life, this is actually a pretty pleasant escape for them. Even if it's not their cup of tea.

How does the game's take on the RPG system play out? How do I describe it.... For a turn-based RPG, it's a system I enjoy greatly. The battle system setup has methods to where you can prevent your opponent from attacking you. You can run around on the combat field using Evade and your opponent has a chance to miss their attacks. You have skills where you can delay your opponent's actions to prepare for those actions to fight back; So on and so forth. How does tha-? All the participants in the battle share the same ATB combat bar. You have a long ATB Bar, when the portrait reaches the far right, you select your action and that action executes. The skills can move other portaits back to delay attacks and you can move about the battle field in turns as monsters can freely roam to reach you if they choose too. If anything, you can probably think of it as a War Hammer tabletop game... minus the dice rolls and any immaturity from opponent players and anything else that goes with Warhammer.... I never played Warhammer mind you, though that's sort of what these battles feel like in a small sense except at a much faster pace. A Fast paced Tabletop RPG where noone has to check the rules every 10 minutes to see if they punched a ghost.

This is still a fun game and worth playing through.... I just wish that they had it republished from PC like they did for Grandia 2 and even then, I wish that Game Art would take the time to FIX their Grandia 2 PC port, OR ALTERNATIVELY, release their Grandia MMORPG to the west.... Which I'll address later if I find an overlooked-good-mmorpg; KINDA HARD TO DO WITH ALL THE FREE-TO-PLAY STUFF; except Runescape.... Runescape was kinda fun starting out until they went legit with a full download... I WILL NOT DO ONE ON MAPLESTORY, IT TAKES 3 MONTH'S TO LEVEL FROM LVL: 99 TO LVL: 100... AND THERE IS NOT HING COMPLEX ABOUT IT; SERIOUSLY! NOTHING COMPLEX ABOUT IT, PICK A CLASS AND UPGRADE NOTHING BUT THE STAT ASSOCIATED WITH IT!!!... It's... Just..... Bad game design.

If you want and have your old PS3 kicking, you can pick up this PS1 classic off of the Playstation store for about $10. Game runs on PSP pretty well; PS Vita if you have one lying around as well. If you have the time, I recommend going out there and looking for it; its a fun play through and still a pretty good collectable.

Old February 26th, 2018 (9:19 AM).

Freedom Wars
                                PS Vita

I HAVE YET TO AFFORD MONSTER HUNTER WORLD!!!.... mostly because bills and my job's payment frequency is putting me on a spin, a lot.

SO; I went digging on a console either everyone hated or everyone never bother buying. So much so that Sony abandoned it's support in America.... It's sad actually, its a pretty good console. Freedom Wars was a game that released on the PS Vita and this is one of those games that makes getting a PS vita worth getting that wasn't Soul Sacrifice or Little Big PLanet Vita..... Seriously...

Freedom Wars is... A VERY rough clone of Monster Hunter with a large number of exceptions. You take missions to fight other cities for supplies and territory since resources become so scarce that they consider Knowledge an important resources and even skills. You get amnesia, it's considered a crime for losing those resources the city declares it's own and your imprisoned and or hunted... Before I go into the story, I want to present the differences between Monster Hunter and Freedom Wars. First off, your given a hookshot which is referred to as a thorn... When I mean hookshot, You can shoot the wall or the giant robots which takes the place of monsters and mount, stick or reach higher areas to act as vantage points. The thorns have other functions as well such as healing or creating a healing hub, making a wall to block projectiles or stun just about anything that can move. You have a wide variety of weapons from guns such as shotguns, missile launchers, all that fun stuff. Aside from guns, you also have access to a wide variety of melee weapons to use for close combat situations such as sawing off limbs.... Which leads me to explain about the 'monsters' you fight in the game.

You don't 'hunt' monsters, rather you hunt and fight robotic mechs, and any human escort they have, designed to kidnap people and spirit them away to other cities; like I said before, people are considered resources in this setting and most of these mechs are stealing about 95% of the time, scientists.... And sometimes your NPC partners in story mode who join your party if you FAIL a mission and they die or something critical happens to them. What to note about these mechs though is that they have limbs that can be sawed off.... As in, if one of these weird mechs has a rocket launcher on it's arm, you can cut off the wrist if you have good aim to hookshot said body part and try to saw it off. You can also saw off arms, heads, wings if they're there even and all sorts of stuff. Once they fall, you can gather them as parts to use to build your own stuff with the help of these scientist's you save and develop new tech or trade in for years off of your prison sentence..... whiiiiiiiiich I'll get too soon. Want to focus on the mechanics. You can also all hookshot the thing as a group and tug it down to lay in more damage before it gets back up. It's kinda of awesome. So in a rough short, you can probably think of this game as Monster hunter with 3rd Person shooter elements.

The story is sort of interesting. You are a prisoner they refer to as a Sinner against their current society.... For losing your memory and the device or cyborg/android who keeps record of your contributions and prison sentence is destroyed as well. Your provided a new Cyborg/Droid thing, your sentence in prison has been set to 1 million years and you have to start to all over again. You loose your rights even to do stuff. You loose the right to recline and sleep well, the right to speak to people of opposite genders, the right to even speak to people who are not imprisoned, the right to where certain clothes, retain certain resources and so on.... More or less, you lose you ability to act like a human being; If you violate anything that you don't have the permit for, you get years added back to your sentence, and it get's annoying fast. From here, you undergo missions for the city your represent, shaving years off your prison sentence and earning points which can be cashed in to either buy back your rights to do things, buy things and even speak. While your earning your stuff back, you learn of a way to get rid of the ridiculous system of resources through an unknown source and you pursue it. I HAVE YET TO BEAT IT AND I'M ON THE FINAL BOSS PEOPLE!.... And even I'm at a loss for it's difficulty.

...Moving on; Like Monster Hunter, you do mission, forge new gear to help kill things bigger than it. I picked this game for two reasons..... one; the Vita needs some love as much as Sega. A console abandoned by it's own company and a decent platform to boot. Japan still makes games for it and the Vita is still a big thing out in Japan so there is some life for it; not enough though to convince Sony to keep supporting it out west... The second reason being, if you have a vita but can't afford monster hunter world yet; this is an awesome game to pick up and try out.

Old February 27th, 2018 (5:22 PM).

Nature: Timid
                                  Psi-Ops. A great, cheesy and over-the-top Sci-Fi movie in video game form. You play as an augmented super soldier that plays similarly to Starkiller in Force Awakens, with guns and more powers. You battle through a top secret complex highlighted by the MGS-esque super-powered bosses that run the place
                                  Old March 4th, 2018 (1:30 PM).

https://gamerobscure.blogspot.com/

I started a blog on Obscure video games; mind you I still intend to post back here on any new ones I find, but you can also start expecting them there on the blog as well for each new one I post. The first published post is a re-review of my experiences with Oni; the game developed by Rockstar and Bungie after digging a little further on the interesting path this game has. Such as Bungie's OTHER PAST games, which they in themselves are also obscure gems that I will have to hunt down myself at some point.

The next post I make...... If I can find it, will be on a bungie game before Halo, before Oni and before Destiny.... If not; I'll get my paws on Soma, a game a fellow poster made here in Gamer Obscurea and post my own experiences to the blog, among any other games I can find and get ahold of.... I hope.

Old March 17th, 2018 (2:46 PM).

MARATHON
                                      PC, Linux, Mac

Alright, I was able to track down a free copy of this old game over the internet and did a little digging on the games during some of my spare time.... And it's an ok game. Marathon was one of those PC games Bungie developed after another one of their earlier titles and after a little more digging, I discovered the game was originally meant to run on the Mac PC; not the new Apple computer you have to pay lord knows how much to keep functioning properly, but the older fashion ones from Windows 2000 to XP Era and up. Mind you, I run Windows and Linux machines and was unable to get ahold of a traditional copy, even if I wanted too, I don't have much cash flow to work with to go find old tech or even the parts for that old Tech to work. In fact, if I had the knowledge and resources, I'd make a pirated update for Windows XP to run and operate as a 64-bit OS.... But I digress.

After playing Marathon for a while, I found the game reminiscent of Doom since the title uses pseudo 3D.... Well, any game that uses pseudo 3D is going to remind me of Doom. If there are any differences though that separate Marathon from that old Title is the ability to duel wield weapons.... Before It was a thing in Halo 2, It was already a staple in Marathon, though the only way I was able to experience using duel wielding guns was with the pistols so there's not that much to write off on. Aside from that, There we're levels where you had to go out into space and enter environments with no atmosphere that it consumed oxygen and you had to watch it while fighting your way through the level to reach pockets of air and stations to replenished your oxygen tank.

As far as the game's story goes... I'll have to admit, it's sort of difficult to get a grasp on for me. Humans attempting to hollow out a moon for colonization and mining purposes and fighting aliens as well as gather logs from the game itself.... I mean, There are PC terminals with walls of text explaining the entire game's story and I've not even scratched the surface in an attempt to piece together Marathons story.... Someone else might have, but it's a little bit beyond me for the time being and I've enjoy what I played.

If you have time and want to give the game a run, even for you collectors out there, You can play the updated version for free; google it and all 3 Marathon games are up for grabs on all platforms. If you prefer to play it on what it was natively meant to be played on, Good luck in your hunt for the physical copies.

Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:50 AM).

Megabyte Punch
                                        PC

Folk's who dig into the obscure, with Smash Bros. Gracing our face's with the Inklings and Funimation wanting to ask Nintendo about including Goku to the Roster... Among other fighters and can't wait to Smash some faces in while settling very old play ground disputes which game character would win in a fight, Pikachu or Solid Snake; I want to show everyone a game out here from it's lime light and hope there are some people who haven't heard of this. Maybe even sate their lust and love for Smash.

Megabyte Punch is roughly a Smash clone where every fighter is a 'Mii' fighter... except with MULTIPLE combinations that Nintendo wouldn't touch with a 8-foot pole. What do I mean? In the game's story, you play as one of this polygon mech's and while I'll admit, I can't remember it 'correctly' but you can go into it to collect part's for your mech and the part's you collect to customize your mech are 'nearly' endless. You can give your mech a sniper rifle, and he can do damage from the farthest side of the area pretty quickly. Give your mech a shield, and he'll take less damage from the front and even more less when guarding. Give him a head that gives him the ability to fly or a body to expand his threshold to keep him from dying out, even recolor them, so on and so forth.

How fighting works, is sort of like a traditional match of Smash bros. Bring in your fighter and beat the snot out of each other. How your knocked out is sort of unique; You build up damage taken and it's suppose to make you lighter and fly off the stage like a traditional gladiator, The same principle applies in Megabyte punch, though there are multiple ends to save yourself as well as get knocked out. If you fly off the stag and gain control before you hit a black block that cause's instant death, you can rocket yourself back to the field to keep fighting. On the other end of the spectrum, if your arena has a ceiling and you go flying, if you hit that ceiling while lost control, you will receive a knockout and be out of the game for that stock, though that's just my initial observations to the game itself.

The music is upbeat and hyper if you can take the heavy beep bass techno and pretty well composed. If your looking for a game to sate your urge for Smash brothers, I recommend giving this one a look.

Old 1 Week Ago (9:10 PM).

Skies of Arcadia
                                          Dreamcast, Gamecube

This is an RPG from one of my all time favorite consoles and was one of the games that became the reason to get a Sega Dreamcast. Some of you might ask, why am I including this into a list of obscure games if most people know about it? Like my review of Golden Sun, It's another game that will soon be or already lost to the through's and sea's of time and memory; Or rather, it's another game for people just now getting into gaming to look at and pick up the controller themselves... That and there's a link at the bottom of this post with a petition to go to Sega and show people WANT an HD re-release of this title to return to Arcadia... I also wanted to pay Omage to an RPG that deserve's credit where credit is due to a good game. SCREEN SHOTS INCLUDED!

In Skies of Arcadia, your a sky pirate... Not the traditional sky pirate of Final Fantasy 12, I mean a literal, flying wooden ship sky pirate, raiding large warships for their stuff and taking off with said stuff while beating the living sh*t out of their opponents before sinking or let sailing their victims. You are raiding the ship of a fancy and advance kingdom and rescue a woman with strange garments. After you rescue her, you learn she comes from another kingdom known as the silver kingdom Luna; which you down know where such kingdom is, but you learn she game there to retrieve something called a moon crystal to stop the awakening of an ancient weapon called a Gigas.... Which I won't spoil here, GO PLAY THAT GAME TO FIND OU- moving on, with her in tow, you begin you adventures as a sky pirate and explore the games world, earning a title for yourself and going down as a legend in history as the greatest sky pirate and fighting unfair, overpower doppelgangers of yourself. You explore a massive world of floating islands, land marks, flying fish, getting involved in ship battles, bounty hunting for landmarks and other pirates alike in a massive-ish world.... It's not as massive as one would like to give; it's a big world to explore, don't get me wrong, but after exploring and going to it's end and edges, it's difficult to go beyond.

The Game's battle system is odd, but unique, traditional RPG turn based with some location or Area of Effect elements... in a small sense of the meaning to it. You have a 'team spirit' bar at the top which acts like a 'shared' mana pool. If you get ready to perform a special move or use magic, they use points from this bar at the top of the screen and perform the actions, everything from a simple explosion spell to SUMMONING YOUR CREW FOR A SLAUGHTERING OF TOUR ENEMIES AS YOU ROB THEM OF EVERYTHING FROM THEIR HP TO TO GOLD AND WEAPONS! MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!....*Ahem* This aside, Magic itself is a little bit of a different story, each character has their own MP point or stat they use. Each time a spell is used, 1 point of mana is used and the spell uses the spirit from said spirit pool to pull off the rest in battle.... it's one point outside of battle for healing. LOTS OF HEALING! Aside from the standard RPG battles, you also have ship battles. You fight other battles, ship vs. ship and what your ship has equipped will determine how well you ride out your battles from cannons that deal damage over a set period of time to torpedoes that hit 2-4 turms later and if you can dodge your opponent while you can.

A fun minor note to add, this game was one of the view to include DLC to the games console.... No, I'm not joking. Sega experimented a lot with the Dreamcast over it's internet abilities and DLC was one of them. Though the thing you could download was a powerful sword for Vyse, the pirate you play the game as and you could only get it through Sega's Sega•Net. You didn't even have to pay for it, the DLC was free! It save to your game's Save file once it downloaded.

Next bit the music... If I could have an orchestra, I would have each of these tracks composed for kicks and attend the show opening night. It's the kinda of music you would want to see in it's own OST from Sega.... Though it might be better to go through Itunes, Bandcamp and google play for you music on this stuff.

My closing notes.... because I CAN'T DO THIS GAME JUSTICE!!!! EVEN ON A LIST OF FORGOTTEN GAMES AND THIS ONE THAT MAY SOON JOIN THEM WITH IT'S DIE HARD FANS, I CAN'T DO JUSTICE without spoiling any more of the story. Other than there probably will never be a Skies of Arcadia 2 and before I get a thousand angry.... whatever of anything, this is a game of exploration and piracy.... mostly the first with heavy RPG elements, There will be nothing left to explore in Arcadia. The world circles around, so there's no Flat Earth Theory or Boundries to the game itself, NO INVISIBLE WALLS GENT'S! After the game ends, there's nothing to explore beyond that.... You could give the argument WHY NO GO TO SPACE AND GO ALL TREASURE PLANET ON THIS!? Then it wouldn't be Skies of Arcadia 2, it would be Stars of Arcadia... I guess you could argue going above the clouds and exploring islands in high atmospheres or below where the remains of earth are just heavy with little to no oxygen... but why go that far?.. If there we're to be a Skies of Arcadia Sequel, it would have to either be a prequel or they would have to go to another planet and call it Arcadia. Even then, for those who BEAT skies of arcadia, why do we want to go back? Has enough been wrapped up? has everything been explored? Has every treasure chest been opened to death and back? Has the game been beaten in one long speedrun on a DDR pad or Marracca's enough times with 100% completion? At this point, I would rather this title draw breath again either on PC legally or on a newer console like the PS4 with graphics either touched up or re-vamped to support HDMI. Maybe add a Steam Workshop to add additional side quests, graphics or mods to the game itself and give even more to do with the world. Better yet, any enthusiast's who love this game to be willing to go all Sky Pirate, why not make a game mod for the original Dreamcast or Gamecube to add more to Arcadia, add a new island or add 10-20 or another 50 side quest's?... It might be doable on the Dreamcast port; I mentioned above that this game supported DLC for a sword, so that means there are ways to add stuff to the game, there might be ways to add more stuff to do to Skies of Arcadia, whether it's a sword or something else.

If there are any ports of Skies of Arcadia, I would recommend the Gamecube version HIGHLY! For a few reasons; first, the ultimate sword you can pick up as Vyse is included in the games data, you could only get this sword through DLC on the dreamcast unless you hacked it in yourself. Second, they did a lot of remodeling for the weapons in the game and updates to the polish a little to most of the graphics; most notably the weapons. Some of weapons have been re-balanced, the fights, it's just worth paying for... Sadly, If you go to Amazon, that copy is over $70 used, and over $100 for brand new.... THIS is why we need an HD remake or at least something.... Which is why the petition below is to hopefully convince Sega to do a remake.... Let's push for it and sail the skies of Arcadia once more!

https://www.change.org/p/skies-of-arcadia-hd/u/17917448

Quick Reply