Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Old 1 Week Ago (5:57 AM).

Nature: Lonely

PC

Lately I've been posting some family friendly-ish content..... HERE'S SOME HORROR BASED CONTENT!

Dusker's is a game that I would love to see either Markplier or Jackscepticeye play for 2 reasons. First of all, while the game has no jump scares, there are horror based elements that can force the player to think twice about their actions and second, what you have to explore and gather in the game to survive.

In Dusker's, your a pilot/hacking gent who has control of 3 drones and your out in a chunk of space that was recently laid bare; in the literal sense too. There are mining platforms and ships all across the first sector your in and when you send your probes in on one to gather resources such as fuel or scrap for parts, you also gather data or personal journals or logs and slowly uncover what happen to the station's and ships that kill all of the humans, set the ships security to kill everything on sight and why this all happened to begin with.

The game does get darker from what I played, but here are a few spiffy notes to this game.

First of all, when you enter a ship, your view is only based on the Drones and what the drones have equipped, if they have a headlight equipped, then they can see walls among other stuff on the ship itself, including precious resources you would have otherwise missed. Your view is based on these drones and loosing even one can put a strain on your ability to survive. The ships are loaded with dangers for each one you probe, you are given your proper tools to avoid those dangers or cloak and sneak past them; but unless you can keep those tools in working order, they will break mid probe or mission and they will look for you.

You can control 1 drone at a time, or you can use the games built in console to send simple commands to all of the drones at once; which is hand when you want to make a hasty retreat to write in the line of code to move all drones back to your ship and take off. This same console is also used to hack the ships you dock with to open doors and use your radar or tools, it's tedious, but you get the hang of it.

If your up for a space thriller with a good mystery, I recommend checking this one out.

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (4:28 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Quto.

The Dig
      PC

There is another game genre I've been neglecting mostly because telltale controls the market with 'choose your own adventure set in this popular IP' games and I'm having some trouble trying to find some more mature content than the family friendly stuff than what I have my hands on now.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF POINT'N'CLICK GAMES!!! Or rather, the world where the choose your own adventure could lead you to your own death in about roughly 7 minutes if you tried to solve a puzzle the way the puzzle makers didn't intend. The Dig is not one of those types of puzzle games but it does have a good ending and a bad one if your clever enough, but it is a fun play through of Science Fiction an the story is just....well, 'Marvelous' I guess.

The game's story centers around 3 astronauts who are tasked with a mission to fly to an asteroid the size of 'insert country or state here.' This chunk of stone was heading towards earth until it just 'stopped' in mid space. They send a shuttle to blow it it up and hope to move the Asteroid debris out of Earth's flight path, though after the explosives fail, it reveals an alien 'temple' inside. After messing with a few metal plates, the Asteroid turns into a giant glass-light based crystal and leaves earth's orbit to some other unknown chunk of the galaxy with the 3 astronauts inside. You're now on an alien world with technology more advanced than what you understand; Ship's constructed of light, creatures unearthly from what you understand and.... the world or where you land is incredibly barren. None of the aliens that built THAT ship are to be found, not even skeletons; it's almost bizarre. From here, you attempt to explore the world you've landed in and try to understand it's technology so you can create a ship to leave the planet or become victim to what the race had become victim too.

Something else worthy of note is most of the games cut scenes such as the shuttle launch, the arrival among other scene are animated; not in terms of sprite animation, but traditional hand-drawn animation like Dragons Lair or Space Ace. Another small fact I discovered while doing a little research, Steven Spielberg wanted to make a movie based on this game's story based on a TV show he watched called 'Amazing Stories' however the movies production would be incredibly expensive so he had to shelve it until a few developers came along and wanted to make it into a game. The game is up on Steam and it's worth a playthrough if you like puzzle games with a story and some pretty good animation on a distant world far from home.

Old 5 Days Ago (2:49 PM). Edited 5 Days Ago by Quto.

GAME NUMBER 55!.... After counting the games I and other's have posted along with more to come, there really is some form of market here for these obscure titles and love out there for the ignored.

Revolt
        PC, Android, iOS, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Linux

Alright ladies and gem's, I have a treat for you. Who here is tired of Mario Kart for the N64?.... No? Ok, fair enough; but would you like to play a mario kart game where every driver was an RC car that some how gained sentience to just want to 'RACE' via lightning and have never been seen since?! That's the story of Revolt and you could probably only read that in the manual.

The game has no real story; but this game has a bigger cult follow than Magi-Nation and you could also claim it's roughly on par with Rocket League in terms of Fun Factor.

Int he game, you race as an RC car; any in the library of cars you have access too. You unlock more cars by completing races, earning trophies and so on. No big deal, right? Well, here's the cool part. The game has so many things that either be unlocked or attained through mods that pretty much amps up the fun factor. Example I suppose; in a standard Gran Prix, your facing off roughly about 8-12 other RC cars at once. There is a mode that can be unlocked in the game where you can race as one of the miniature cars from the games main menu and once you unlocked that mode, your racing up to 40 different RC cars all minitaurized.... THAT'S INSANE and a quite humerous race to actually pull off. The race tracks you race on are actually fun and creative; There's a neighborhood with balls being bounced around as if kids we're plaing in the street, houses to race through, obstacles such as buckets and what not to avoid. There's a museum where the starting line is basically a red security laser, your tripping the alarm 3 times while your racing through and so on!

Once your done racing all of the tracks, you can make your own. The game comes with it's own track editor across all platforms with the exception of the Android and iOS devices. You can build your own track's with the track editor, setup the powerups and go have fun on your own.

With the mention of the track editor, here's where things get a bit more interesting. For the PC version, the modding community behind revolt have come up with their own editor and created their own outrageous tracks with parts that the track editor never included such as loop-to-loops, boost pads and just so amny different places they have built. Tracks not your thing? Take it a step further and race in a custom car made by the community, Race as Bender's head from that one futurama episode where he sold his body or as lightning mcqueen from pixar's Cars and have him crash on purpose for the lulz! Or just pick a classic car if your into the old vehicles and race as that instead, you can create your own custom vehicles is the short answer and make them to be anything you want if you know your hand around modeling ok and don't mind editing text files. There are new tracks and cars STILL being produced today!

Tired of Racing, there are battle tracks for the sake of fighting though these games are reserved for the multiplayer end; the developers could never create the AI properly to fight other players.... Still, to add an option, you could argue this is where the developers of Rocket League got inspiration to develop 'Super Sonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars' before the moved onto their next RC project 'Rocket League' which now has it's own E-League of gamers...

Last feature to this I can mention up front is, for some reason; they allow you to change the games physic's based on what platform you play it on.... This is only available for the PC version of what I seen so far; but you can make the physics realistic, based on a games console and so on. It's nothing much, but I can see the appeal to it for more seasoned gamers in games like Mario Kart.

The game's modding community went out of their way to create their own patched EXE so you can run the PC version of Revolt on newer computers.... which is kinda badass in it's own right to show how much love for this classic RC title has.

You can find the game for PC for free here if your up to try it out yourself.
        https://www.revoltrace.net/downloads.php

NOW the other note to this game, more related to the Android side and iOS..... I would recommend avoiding them. The control isn't anything worth writing home about and while Revolt's sequels are on these platforms, they're just recycling both tracks AND cars from the first Revolt while adding a couple new cars, which is the easiest thing you can do in the first Revolt; tracks a little harder but if your saying it's a sequel, there needs to be newer content than the cars they added. To top it off; if anyone remembers what I talked about Mobile gaming being nothing more but a pay wall; the newer revolts are just that. You have a battery of 'races' you can do, can only race so many times in the day, once the battery is out, you have to pay to recharge it or get 'good' power ups or better cars... It's developers like this that have soured Revolt for me in the permanent sense that I have avoided the Mobile port to ignore it; it's not worth a moment or even a minute of your time and that's saying a lot.

Old 1 Day Ago (5:20 AM). Edited 12 Hours Ago by Quto.

Never Ending Light
          PC
          Play the game here!

Alright; Another form of video games that haven't been touched on; FLASH GAMES!.... Well; THIS flash game in particular. To explain a little to the younger generation: Flash is slowly becoming, if it already isn't, obsolete. Yet with flash, you had the ability to animate, make cool looking effects on websites and of course, create video games. You had thousands of sites that would promote flash games that you would probably play on the schools computer other than learning because learning was boring and even then for most American kids; school never properly taught you how to prepare for life such as how to pay taxes, rent or bills... THAT aside; Flash games we're also mostly easy to create; more easier to create than making games in Game Maker whatever version they promote now and I mean EASY; There we're complicated things in terms of scripting, but it was still an easy process.... Moving on before I get stuck teaching more about old computer history.

There we're a bunch of Flash games that we're actually awesome to play through, such as Bloons before it became a Mobile game on your Iphone and Android tablet or Detective Grimoire before it was remade for computers and I would want to play a sequel to that. There is one game however that I remember, even in my age that left an impact on me for it's pseudo horror elements and music that accompanied it with some minor comedy elements; Never Ending Light.

In the game; you play as a guy who is brought along on a tour into a cave by your girlfriend as a birthday gift. As you enter the depths beneath the earth on an elevator, they do a demonstration where they cut the lights to show how pitch black true darkness can be. (If you go on any Cave Tours, this is sort of to be expected and it can be kinda fun, no matter your age.) The lights go out and your girlfriend makes out with you, when they try to turn the lights back on, they don't come back on. The guide thinks there's a technical difficulty so she grabs her flashlight to lead you back to the elevator though the moment she does, a creature pops out of now where and kills her straight off. Your now trying to escape cave.

I won't go into much more details because this is just a game you need to play for yourself. The elements this game incorporates are woven brilliantly, the aspect and stress to escape can be felt as your trying to find your way around in the darkness and play through this tale. It's just something that we really just an experience to play through. There's very little wrong to give this game a con about with the exception of the graphics a little bit. Though to be fair, this game released back in 2009 and Flash was still on it's rise before it's decent so some exceptions can be given. Especially since this was roughly the idea of an Independent title.

If you decide to play this game; there's something I want to mention. You'll notice at the title page for the game, it's "1 of 3." The developers behind this game never released a 2 of 3 or anything else. Even the gentlemen behind the game never came back to even work or produce a sequel. To this day, there are mentions about this game over forums, reddit posts and even a WIKIA page devoted to this game where fans of the first title played this and asked about the game and wanted to know what would be in the sequel. There have been people offering to do voice work all the way up to now for those who tracked down the original creator to offer it up and yet he still doesn't want to make it.

This is just a game similar to Half-Life 3 except the reasons of why it's not made are different. Galf Life 3 isn't being made because Steam makes enough money as is. This isn't being made because the developer just simply doesn't want too. Don't get me wrong if there are any who find information that the guy wants to make it and so on, this game is reaching the age of 9 and it's running on an obsolete platform that you still need to pay royalties too to just even animate with the software... And even then, it's questionable if your newer browser will still run it. My point being is; if there hasn't been an update for this long nor even concept work and the reply from the developer is 'I'll think about it.' Then he's given up.

This then becomes another game in obscurity; and I wanted to bring some 'light' to it. No pun intended.

Quick Reply