• 82 replies
Age 14
He/him
Dewford Town
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
66 posts
263 Days
I was thinking of joining, any tips for my SU?
VPPs
Currently raising: Nincada
About me
I'm InsaneBlathers, and I like Pokemon!
Favorite Gen: Gen 5
Favorite Pokemon Game: Black 2
Favorite Pokemon: Tropius
Favorite Type: Ice

Aquacorde

the more we love, the more we learn // the more we love, the more we BURN 🔥

Age 28
she/her/he/him
Ankh-Morpork
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
11,418 posts
17.1 Years
I was thinking of joining, any tips for my SU?
Follow the template, add a decent amount of detail, think about your characters' stregths and weaknesses and defining traits- I tend to aim for two of each! But mostly for this role play I would say read everything that I have provided very carefully- the player document especially and the chapter posts thus far. It also helps to read prior posts but it's not strictly necessary even though I very much encourage you to, in order to get a feel for other characters and players! SUs from other people are linked in the IC OP, as are all the chapter posts and the player document. :)
She/Her
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
68 posts
92 Days
(I'm using the same OC from another Hoenn RP Which is inactive.)

Hayden Glacerone Zinzolin

- 18 -
- Female (She/Her) -
- Phenac City, Orre -

Preferred Name: Hayden
Device: Snag Machine (Yes, she's a Team Snagem member, Disguised as a Glove just like Xenoverse's PokeWES)
Appearance:
- short Blonde hair, Side bangs are discolored Icy Blue
- Purple eyes that are slanted
- Black highneck T-shirt with Purple stripes (Armholes has detachable small chains connected to a Red Agate)
- Ribbon Collar with Red Agate
- Purple Pants and Black Boots
Personality: Little bit Naive, and Cold (gets warm sometimes)
Brief History: Lives with her mom, Garcia (who is a travelling Ice-type Gym Leader) and learns homeschool.
Current Goal: Unknown. (Maybe she have an ambition later...)
Flavor: She likes to promote things that Phenac's Pokemart has.

Pokemon On Hand:
Absol
Female
Ability: Super Luck
Moves:
- Assurance
- Zen Headbutt
- Brutal Swing
- Icy Wind
- Thief
...How do I wrote my signing off catchphrase again?

Aquacorde

Age 28
she/her/he/him
Ankh-Morpork
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
11,418 posts
17.1 Years
(I'm using the same OC from another Hoenn RP Which is inactive.)

Hayden Glacerone Zinzolin

- 18 -
- Female (She/Her) -
- - Phenac City, Orre -

Preferred Name: Hayden
Device: Snag Machine (Yes, she's a Team Snagem member, Disguised as a Glove just like Xenoverse's PokeWES)
Appearance:
- short Blonde hair, Side bangs are discolored Icy Blue
- - Purple eyes that are slanted
- Black highneck T-shirt with Purple stripes (Armholes has detachable small chains connected to a Red Agate)
- - Ribbon Collar with Red Agate
- Purple Pants and Black Boots
- Personality: Little bit Naive, and Cold (gets warm sometimes)
- Brief History: Lives with her mom, Garcia (who is a travelling Ice-type Gym Leader) and learns homeschool.
- Current Goal: Unknown. (Maybe she have an ambition later...)
- Flavor: She likes to promote things that Phenac's Pokemart has.
Pokemon On Hand:
Absol
Female
Ability: Super Luck
Moves:
- Assurance
- - Zen Headbutt
- Brutal Swing
- - Icy Wind
- Thief
Hi! I'm going to need you to read the OP and provided resources carefully and either edit your character to better suit the world or create a new character that is more tailored to the world of Hoenn: Square One. We are all working together here to build a cohesive world, so we all need to be on the same page.

I would also advise that you spend more words on your character's personality and other aspects rather than simply appearance- take note from others' SUs! It's personality and motovations that make a great character, after all, not what they look like. :) I also have reservations about the mention of "a travelling Ice-type gym leader" (how does that work? what region does she work in? will it work with the world I and my current players have built so far?) and the aspect of being a Team Snagem member (I don't know how much prominence I want them to have in this world.)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Julius Caesar

Marked Out

Age 28
Male
Equilibrium
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
388 posts
10 Years
Haven't done one of these in a while, let me know if anything needs fixing.

Clint Shaw - 17 - He/Him

HOME REGION: Kanto
DEVICE: Poke-Nav
POKEMON ON HAND:

Lv 15 Charmander (Male)
Ember-Dragon Breath
Bite(Egg Move)-Smokescreen

APPEARANCE:

Clint is a fairly strong looking young man, coming in at six feet even and one-hundred and eighty-five pounds. He’s built and toned a decent amount of muscle from a life on the farm, along with a light brown complexion. Clint has short, wavy dark brown hair, which naturally parts to the side if it’s not being covered by Clint’s black cowboy hat, which he wears outside almost constantly, but takes it off indoors. Clint has piercing deep blue eyes, the kind capable of pulling off an intense stare. Clint’s chin is very defined, protruding out a noticeable amount. Clint also has a scar on his cheek, extending from near the middle of his nose down to his jawline.

Clint’s choice of clothing is very down to earth like him, consisting of flannel shirts, usually with rolled up sleeves and tucked into his blue jeans and his maroon leather pointed toe cowboy boots, jeans over the boots. Clint carries a olive green military surplus backpack for his field gear, and a custom holster on his belt that has spots for six Poke Balls hanging off his belt.

PERSONALITY: Clint is a man (in a few months) of very few words, and will respond to you with a head nod and a tip of his hat whenever possible. He often appears to be aloof and disinterested in what other people have going on, preferring to focus on what he has going on. Clint carries himself in a calm, confident manner. He isn't likely to be the one to initiate Pokemon battles, Clint would be the one being challenged by another trainer in most situations. He also gets nervous in big cities and would much rather be out in the wild.

Clint is an outdoorsman in every sense of the word, just like his father. Clint is at peace breathing in fresh air, far away from civilization. Its there where he can truly focus and find inner peace. Due to his interest in the wild, Clint has studied and practiced methods of survival in the wild, and has the knowledge to set up a camp for himself, hunt for food with his Charmander and gather essentials. This is a one-hundred eighty degree turn from how Clint feels in metropolitan areas where he often feels lost and out of place.

When Clint is interacting with others, he is stand-offish and usually lets others do the talking. He doesn't do this to offend anyone, just that he would rather not spend too much time dealing with people. He will try to help people if possible, but due to his homeschooling and lack of understanding and empathy, what Clint thinks will help might not be the right help that particular person needs. Clint isn't the best at picking up on social cues, and may either misinterpret or outright miss when it comes to judging social situations. All in all, Clint is a very quiet and solitary person.

BRIEF HISTORY: Born and raised on a Pokemon breeding ranch west of Celadon City, Kanto to two breeders Kathy and Jeremiah Shaw, Clint has been around Pokemon his whole life. He is the third of four children, he has an older brother Jeremiah Jr, the oldest out of the four, an older sister Kelly, and a younger brother Brent.

From a young age, the value of hard work was instilled into all the Shaw children, as they all spent long days working on the ranch, taking care of Pokemon, cleaning barns, fixing fences or whatever it took to keep the operation going. Due to this life on the ranch, neither Clint or his siblings went to traditional school, instead were homeschooled by his mother. They weren’t taught normal school subjects either, most of what they learned was directly applicable to raising and breeding Pokemon on the ranch. This training has left Clint knowledgeable on caring for Pokemon, not so much of a math expert or a history buff. Clint never spent a lot of time with other kids, and has developed into a rather anti-social person due to this, especially due to never getting along with Jeremiah Jr.

As Clint got into his teens, it became well and apparent that Jeremiah Jr., who is seven years older than Clint, was in line to take over the family business. Clint did not take this realization well, due to the fact Jeremiah Jr. often tormented his younger brother when they were growing up. Not wanting to spend his life as a ranch hand under his bully of an older brother, Clint started to think about living life away from the farm. His interest and knowledge in Pokemon drew him towards battling, so with some pleading to his father Jeremiah, Clint was given a Charmander to train. Clint participated in some battles in Celadon City, winning a few and losing a few. Clint was hooked onto the sport almost instantly.

Jeremiah Sr. has tried to persuade Clint to start training at the Celadon Gym, but Clint wanted to take the whole league on. Jeremiah Sr., being well-known amongst the elite trainers of Kanto and did not want the possibility of his son embarrassing the family name advised against it. They argued about it for a couple of weeks, before a compromise was made: Clint was going to travel to Hoenn, where Clint's uncle and Jeremiah Sr.'s younger brother Darryl Shaw lived and challenge the league there. Clint was fine with that, and took the next boat out of Vermillion to Slateport City.

CURRENT GOAL: Clint is aiming to compete and win the Hoenn Pokemon League tournament, but subconsciously Clint is trying to branch out and find his place in the world.

FLAVOR: Birthday is January 16th, I'll probably add quirks for the character in future posts. F-Zero

WRITING SAMPLE: Clint Shaw sat in the waiting room at the Vermillion City Pokemon League office building, looking like he just hopped out of a time machine. Clint’s cowboy hat sitting in his lap, dusty boots and dirty hands was quite the contrast from the pristine office with its seafoam white walls, clean chairs and granite topped desks. There were a couple kids with their parents signing up for licenses, looking very eager to start their journeys as Pokemon trainers, much like Clint was excited, although he did not show it.

“Mr. Shaw,” a young woman called out. This woman had blonde hair wrapped up into a pony tail, and was wearing glasses with blue light lenses. She was rather short and thin, and looked even smaller next to the big farm boy walking towards her.

“Hello miss, I’m Clint Shaw, nice to meet you,” Clint introduced himself to the lady, as he sat down in front of her desk.
“Mr. Shaw, we have started the paperwork for transferring your Kanto trainer’s license into a Hoenn trainer’s license we just have a few questions to ask,” the lady went on.

“First off, since you are under the age of eighteen who will be your guardian while in Hoenn and where does he live.”
“I will be staying with my uncle Darryl Shaw, lives in Slateport City I believe his house is on fifth street,” Clint answered.
It had been almost a decade since Clint had seen uncle Darryl, and when he did Darryl had visited the farm instead of Clint’s family going to Hoenn. Clint had never been there before but heard many good things about the region from Darryl. He had also learned that his cousin Ruby, Darryl’s only child is also travelling Hoenn looking for gym badges. She was apparently a few steps ahead of Clint already, so Clint couldn’t wait for the chance to catch up to his younger cousin. The young lady in charge continued typing away while Clint was in his own head.
“Looks good here Clint, just one more question,” she paused.
“Have you beaten any gym leaders in Kanto, while not directly transferrable to Hoenn, it may help your odds of making it into the league tournament, should you make it that far.”
“ No I have not,” Clint replied.
“ Well then, everything should be ready to go, I will email your forms off to Hoenn for you, and your credentials should be there for you upon your arrival to Slateport. Best of luck in Hoenn Mr. Shaw,” said the lady.
“ Thank you very much miss,” Clint replied. He got out of his chair, and left the office building.

Aquacorde

Age 28
she/her/he/him
Ankh-Morpork
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
11,418 posts
17.1 Years
Haven't done one of these in a while, let me know if anything needs fixing.
Hey, welcome back to PC! Thanks for reading everything~ Really the only thing that I would note is some CSS stuff: since a lot of us tend to read on mobile, which has weird formatting constraints. So it's good for everyone if all our CSS uses "max-width" instead of "width". It still looks great on desktop and becomes perfectly readable on mobile too. Also remember to specify your text color when you use background colors/images! A lot of people forget this, but PC has many different site themes to choose from, which all change the default text color. So things become fairly unreadable if we forget to change that!

Otherwise, your SU looks fantastic- thank you for all the detail and care! Because the Kanto from Astromancer & Eleanor's RP Trainers is effectively canon here, I'd like you to have some base knowledge about that since your character is from Kanto. :) An overview of the Trainers OOC should be enough, and the majority of the cast are also in that RP so we can help fill you in! We're all working together to build a coherent world, so we have to be on the same page, y'know?

Fifteen pages is a lot of catching up to do and while I truly believe that everyone should read everything else that happened in the RP, sometimes that's not super feasible. But we're a communicative group and always willing to rehash things that have happened prior! As long as you keep up with reading from the time you join, it should be okay. :) I'm trying to work on a comprehensive summary spreadsheet (you may have seen it, it's linked somewhere), but I've been struggling with health issues lately that have made creating and maintaining "extra" stuff like that kind of difficult for me. Because of that, the Player Document is... not so much outdated as just, not as informative as it could be. I'm still trying, though!

With all that said- you're accepted! I'll get you a link to the Discord, but also- let's figure out where and when you want Clint to begin, here. There are... quite a few ways to do this, at this point! Most characters right now are somewhere between Wednesday, September 23rd and Saturday, September 26th and are in Chapter 3 and 4 locations- so, in and around Petalburg City. But because this is a self-directed journey, it's not really required to be in the same place as everyone else! The only thing you might miss is JP opportunities and the occasional, very very rare, date-restricted event. But, because a big part of roleplaying is JPing with people, I would recommend finding a way to put Clint near people! Perhaps he arrives in Slateport and doesn't spend much time in Slateport, Dewford, or Petalburg- perhaps you just write important things such as gym battles or captures in those locations. But perhaps he takes the route less travelled, so you can get comfortable writing him without the pressure to JP, and he heads the opposite way of the rest of the cast- going from Slateport to Route 110, and the west to Littledale and following the chapters in reverse. At least, until he circles back to Slateport and from there goes to Mauville. If we do that, we could work out the timing so that he joins up with the rest of the cast around then!

Let me know if you have any questions, either about the broader scope of the RP or about the timing and location of starting your story. :)

Dragon

lover of milotics

Age 28
Male
Viridian City
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
11,084 posts
7.9 Years

Moonlight
470K Subscribers
870K Followers

FULL NAME: Mahina "Hina" Kaʻuhane
PREFERRED NAME: She mostly goes by her nickname, Hina. Her followers call her "Moon", a short form of her username.
PRONOUNS: She/Her/They
HOME REGION: Alola
DEVICE: She broadcasts her streams on her Rotom Phone, a local device from Alola. When she first streamed, it was from the X-Transiever she received from her mother and father, who was on business trips throughout Unova. Overtime, through the money she received by becoming a full-fledged twitch partner, she got herself a blue Rotom Phone.

POKEMON ON HAND:
Ruby (Litten, Male)
Scratch | Fire Fang | Swords Dance | Lick

APPEARANCE: Standing around 5'4, from Alola, Hina has dark skin and round, blue eyes the color of the ocean. Her hair is a pale platinum blonde that looks nearly white and is loosely tied into two wavy ponytails by small, thin hair bands. There are three dots surrounding her belly button, and it is very likely that they are small, silver bead piercings, but could also be a tattoo.

She wears a white, frilly bikini top, the frills a very pale blue, presumably matching bikini bottoms under the blue skirt with white frills sewn to the bottom of it and a blue bow at the waistband. On top of her skirt, she wears a pink utility belt which holds her carving tools and paintbrushes. Angie wears a yellow smock which reaches below her knees, sleeves loose and wide as they stop before her wrists. Her smock has black symbols on her shoulders, the insignia of her previous high school. Her shoes are simple white slip-ons with light grey soles. Hina wears a white beaded bracelet on her left wrist, as well as another one on her right ankle. She also wears a white pearled necklace with a seashell in the middle of it.

PERSONALITY: In a word, Hina is "spirited". Fun loving, energetic, friendly and cheerful, always being curious and not worrying much about things. She's very sociable; she loves meeting and chatting with new people, making new friends, and always act as a mood maker for groups. She doesn't dislike many people; as she's the type to shrug off and laugh about jokes or insults made at her, but she's less tolerable about those who treat other people poorly. On a more quirky side of her, she has a polytheistic animistic belief, in which certain objects carry a 'spiritual essence'. Even among humans and pokemon. Following this belief, she interacts with objects, people and pokemon a bit more earnestly compared to others; a spirit is to be respected after all.

BRIEF HISTORY: Hina;s mother and father always seemed to go overseas due to their work, so she grew up under her grandparents wing. Growing up in Alola, with her grandparents, Hina was always around Pokemon. Alola after all, is a region where humans and Pokémon coexist in a very close relationship. Her family had strong beliefs, mainly ones about spirits, and how everything and everyone had its own "spirit", so to speak. With Hina, growing up she was told and always had the belief that she, deep inside her soul held a spirit of fire: a spirit that symbolized will and determination. From that passion, she decided to enroll in the Pokemon School of Alola, on the route near Hau'oli City.

During her time at school, it became the opportunity for her to attempt her first Alolan trial: the one near Melemele Island. She was given her starter Pokemon: a spry, young Litten she received from the professor. At first though, Hina's relationship with her Litten became rocky as the Litten did not like her from the get-go. It was a curious thing about Pokemon: you can choose the Pokemon, but sometimes, it did not choose you. Unfortunately, that was Hina's case. Still though, she considered Litten to be her ally and friend, and thus, attempted the island challenge together. It was simple: to defeat the Yungoos, then the totem Pokemon at the end.

However, the partnership between the two was rocky. Litten decided to do what he wanted without following Hina's instructions, simply battling on instinct. Things in that matter.. was going well at first; Litten was strong compared to the wild Pokemon and managed to defeat them. But then, it was time to battle the totem Pokemon. This was when things went downhill. Despite Litten's strength, it was still no matched for the totem Gumshoos, easily swatting away and blocking each of the Litten's attempted attacks. Despite Hina's protests and the beating Litten took already, he was stubborn, deciding to battle the totem Pokemon until it could somehow pull off a victory. It never came, as the final strike from Gumshoos became Litten's undoing, thus failing the trial.

Following the battle, Hina tended to Litten's wounds by visiting the local Pokemon Center. Around that time, she met up with the professor. It was a familiar situation he observed, watching Hina and her Litten; a long time ago, The Professor and his own Litten didn't get along at first too, but experiencing memories and hardships together, the two finally bonded. While it was a tough situation for Hina right now, the professor recommended that she not give up. He then suggested an idea.

CURRENT GOAL: Hina has a purpose in mind: following the graduation, she was going to travel, to experience new memories with her Pokemon. Then once they get stronger together, they were going to attempt the Island Challenge again, and this time, prove themselves to be the strongest Trainer, and as the island challenge champion. The professor suggested Hoenn as the first region to travel to, because the Hoenn League was around the corner. There, she hopefully will get stronger with Litten, and bond more as trainer and Pokemon.

FLAVOR: Hina's also a streamer for Twitch, having about 470K subscribers. She mainly focuses on art, streaming "IRL" stuff, like exploration, or other stuff like interactions and other fun activities. Her bubbly and energetic personality attracted many people to watch her, and thus, over the years, she gained a sizable amount of subscribers and followers.

WRITING SAMPLE: Past Struggles from TRAINERS: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=10374251&postcount=492

"Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess...
DRAGON SLAVE!"

Aquacorde

Age 28
she/her/he/him
Ankh-Morpork
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
11,418 posts
17.1 Years
PLAYER DOC UPDATE / RULES CHANGE - EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

Levels are obsolete and mean nothing, though PokéDexes and experienced trainers may be able to evaluate a Pokémon's nebulous approximate "power level" to make educated guesses about their strategies. We are currently playing on a system where new moves are gained through written battles and training sessions. This applies to all natural level-up moves, which can be chosen from Gen 7 and 8 movetables. If a Pokémon does not have a Gen 8 table at time of writing, it can be supplemented by Gen 6. Off-screen training may, of course, happen- it's only logical that it would! But to get the "reward" of a new move, that battle or training session must be written out to a reasonable extent.

"Level 1" moves and similar Orbeetle Bug Buzz are obtainable through written training sessions only. A Pokémon may not "suddenly discover" these moves in the heat of battle, they may only learn them through dedicated training for that particular move. The trainers we have as main characters are likely unequipped to do such a thing, and should find help in the form of a gym trainer or similar.

Please be reasonable in your move choices and remember that we have a long way to go- an ideal, "final" moveset may not actually be fun to play for the rest of the game if you set it up early. Don't be afraid to change your team up to play with everything!

Prior Level Mechanics - For Reference
Spoiler:
Levels
Levels are used to calculate moves and give a rough idea of matchups, as well as give an idea of when your Pokémon can evolve. Levels are self-determined using a vague formula that takes into account both IC and OOC effort. Essentially, "Pokémon should gain levels based on how much effort they put forth” and "Pokémon should gain levels based on how much effort you (the player) put into the writing."

So. The detailed guidelines.

Gaining one level would be a low-effort battle, something that takes one to three hits for your Pokémon to finish. Your Pokémon doesn't take many hits and doesn't struggle very much, but it still gives effort. Alternatively, you (the trainer) can spend time working with your Pokémon to perfect a move or technique, or just working out- running, jumping, wrestling. In writing, you should spend at least two paragraphs describing what your Pokémon is doing to gain this level.

Gaining two levels would be a medium-effort battle. A difficult battle against a wild Pokémon, where your Pokémon barely comes out ahead, would be in this range simply due to the fact that wild Pokémon don't tend to have interesting strategies or movesets that you (the player) would have to compensate for. Maybe if you (the player) made it so that a wild Pokémon did some wack stunts, the battle could be bumped up to a three-level battle. But most of the time, it should be a two-level.

A series of low-effort battles would end up in the two-level range (think horde encounter or double wild Pokémon battle). Simple trainer battles also fall into the two-level category, especially this early on when nobody has any cool moves to play with. A two-level battle should have at least four paragraphs spent describing it.

Gaining three levels is almost always going to be an intense trainer battle with mad strategies and really creative use of moves on both sides. The only exceptions are the aforementioned "wild Pokémon with wack stunts" and quest rewards. A three-level battle should have at least six paragraphs describing it.

Please note that once your Pokémon is over level 20, this scale is basically just bumped back by one level each. So a low-effort battle gives you zero levels, a medium-effort battle gives you one level, and a high-effort battle give you two. Once over level 35, the levels are drastically reduced to only gaining one level for high-effort battles or some days spent gathering experience.

Scales may adjust depending on how fast y’all are leveling. It’s fluid. We talk about it. Don’t worry too much. The idea is that it will be easy to get to a point where your Pokémon have interesting moves but difficult to become overpowered.