FireRed Pokemon Orange Islands (Complete Beta 5.4 Released) Page 2

Started by kalarie November 3rd, 2017 7:37 PM
  • 205 replies
Online now
Posted 11 Hours Ago
354 posts
11.8 Years
@Teanz Gamer
When it's finished I would be interested in something like that to make everyone able to play this game. But I will only allow it if it's done with the same level of perfection I have in mind for the English version.

@supereffective
No, Ash's Pidgeot is not in the anime in the Orange Islands, so I won't make it obtainable in a similar way like Bulbasaur, etc. There are plenty of Pidgey's and Pidgeotto's to be found around the Orange Islands though, so don't hesitate to train your own;) (check the pokedex if you want to know where you can catch them)

@rustybladez
Online now
Posted 11 Hours Ago
354 posts
11.8 Years
Hi all,

I just finished the game up to Navel Island/Grapefruit Islands (Roughly comparable to 4 gyms in a regular Pokemon Game) and decided to release it up to this point as Beta 2. I don't expect to have a lot of time to work on it in the coming months and I don't want to keep you guys waiting too long for something new!

Even if you find the tiniest bugs/glitches not mentioned in the BUGS section I would encourage you to react in this thread or send me a message.

Enjoy!

marcc5m

what

Age 24
Male
Scotland
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted January 6th, 2020
1,114 posts
9.2 Years
I found a bug that wasn't listed, during the first team rocket battle, since it's a double battle and I only had Pikachu, it duplicated my Pikachu for the battle.

A simple solution to this would be to give Lapras before the rocket battle.

Was there a particular reason for replacing the best part of the orange islands (trials) with regular gym battles btw?
Online now
Posted 11 Hours Ago
354 posts
11.8 Years
Yea, I heard about that one, it'll be fixed in the next bugfixed version;)
Might make it a single battle instead of double.

The reason for not doing the trials is because the base rom (Fire Red) is not made for making such a challenge. So I would either had to implement it in some way like Ash Gray did (with a wave race and sled race) , following the anime. But in Ash Gray it was just implemented to exactly follow the anime and not to have an enjoyable gameplay (in my view). So I decided not to do that and have a regular gymbattle instead.

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate

Male
Raftel, New World
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
891 posts
10.8 Years
Some suggestions:
  • Add events from Movie 2, which is also set in OI...
  • Add more water-types from other generations...
  • Add the Alolan forms, Rotom, the Weather Trio, Mega Evolution and Ultra Beasts for post-game quests...
  • Add the returning of GS Ball to Kurt of Azalea Town in Johto...
Seen November 17th, 2018
Posted July 8th, 2018
33 posts
13.8 Years
Great work! I really hope you finish this game and FINALLY we can all play a definite Orange Islands game!

I just have these questions and insights:

Questions:

- How are you doing for the gyms which you have to do something before battling the leader? (Cissy = Water Gun target test + Surfing race; Danny = Climb mountain + Freeze a geyser race + Build a Toboggan + Toboggan race; Rudy = Target test; Same-type Pokémon battle) (see scripts made in pokémon naranja by Danny. Maybe they can help you ;) )
- Is it possible to put all the existent pokéballs in the game (not only the ruby/saphire/emerald, but the other ones (for example, the apricot ones)?
- Will the Crystal Onix be catchable and have a specific type?
- Will you put alolan forms in your game?
- Are you going to put gen 2 pokémon in the game? If so, who are you going to put?
- Are you going to put the Mewtwo island in the game?

Suggestions and insights:

- In order to make this game as closest as an "official Pokémon game", Prof. Ivy could give you as starters the elemental monkeys (Pansage, Pansear and Panpour)
- Maybe in a post-game, you could also add Decolore islands as well
- In order to make possible the only-by-trading evolutions using only this game, you could make a script for a "trading machine" that automatIcally trades and evolves the pokémon, making it an official evolution.
- Instead of changing the colors of the pokémon, they could be shiny. That way, you could trade pokémon and they won't lose the color when transfering it to another nintendo game.

Keep up the great work!

Best regards,
Pokemaniaco
Online now
Posted 11 Hours Ago
354 posts
11.8 Years
@pokemaniaco

Thanks! I can't promise anything but finishing it eventually is the plan;)

Question answers:
1: I guess you're asking why I have regular gym battles instead of the challenges from the Anime, right? In that case I recommend reading the comments in this thread;)
2: Crystal Onix? Same as above, but can be answered with just one word: no.
3: Alolan Forms? Same as above, and can also be answered with one word, no.
4: Gen 2 Pokemon? I was kind of planning to originally because I falsely remembered some of the Gen 2 Pokemon were in the Anime as well. It turned out Tracey's Marill was the only one in the series. And Slowking and Lugia appeared in a Movie. Since None of them will be catchable I think I'll eventually only include Gen 1 Pokemon.
5: Mewtwo: Probably, I want Mewtwo to be catchable eventually. I haven't thought about how and where though, but I could do it with that Mewtwo Island. If it will be included it will be after the main storyline.

Suggestions:
1: Ivy's Starter Pokemon: No, only Gen 1.
2: I have no idea what the decolore islands are
3: I always hated that some Pokemon evolved by trading them, so that will not be included
4: I think I did exactly what you said:P Some pokemon with a different (Orange Archipelago specific) color will appear as shiny.

One thing I also want to note: Although I made the second floor of the Pokemon Center available, I heard that trading is probably not working correctly. So I will eventually look into that to try and fix it (If possible).

Hope this clarifies;)
Seen November 17th, 2018
Posted July 8th, 2018
33 posts
13.8 Years
@pokemaniaco

Thanks! I can't promise anything but finishing it eventually is the plan;)

Question answers:
1: I guess you're asking why I have regular gym battles instead of the challenges from the Anime, right? In that case I recommend reading the comments in this thread;)
2: Crystal Onix? Same as above, but can be answered with just one word: no.
3: Alolan Forms? Same as above, and can also be answered with one word, no.
4: Gen 2 Pokemon? I was kind of planning to originally because I falsely remembered some of the Gen 2 Pokemon were in the Anime as well. It turned out Tracey's Marill was the only one in the series. And Slowking and Lugia appeared in a Movie. Since None of them will be catchable I think I'll eventually only include Gen 1 Pokemon.
5: Mewtwo: Probably, I want Mewtwo to be catchable eventually. I haven't thought about how and where though, but I could do it with that Mewtwo Island. If it will be included it will be after the main storyline.

Suggestions:
1: Ivy's Starter Pokemon: No, only Gen 1.
2: I have no idea what the decolore islands are
3: I always hated that some Pokemon evolved by trading them, so that will not be included
4: I think I did exactly what you said:P Some pokemon with a different (Orange Archipelago specific) color will appear as shiny.

One thing I also want to note: Although I made the second floor of the Pokemon Center available, I heard that trading is probably not working correctly. So I will eventually look into that to try and fix it (If possible).

Hope this clarifies;)
1. I suggest you see the scripts for Pokémon Naranja (first version made by Serg!o, and second version made by Danny) for the challenges before battling the leaders. I think they made simple scripts for the challenges, and they are effective ;)
2. Decolore islands are the islands in the Black&White anime (filler arc). If you use them as a post-game, maybe you can put other generation pokémon ;)
3. What are you thinking of doing for the evolution-only-by-trade pokémon then?
4. Is it possible to put all the existent pokéballs in the game (not only the ruby/saphire/emerald, but the other ones (for example, the apricot ones)?

The game could be anime-based, but there should be some kind of "official nintendo pokémon game" vibe... and for me the choosing of the starter pokémon is essencial (that's why I suggested the elemental monkeys as starter pokémon), as well as to choose the gender and name ;) just my opinion (and I think I'm not the only one... think about it ;) )

Keep up the great work ;)

Best regards,
Pokemaniaco
Online now
Posted 11 Hours Ago
354 posts
11.8 Years
@Pokemaniaco

1: I know it's possible to make some kind of sled race/wave race available. But I did not find the sled race/wave race in Ash Gray or Naranja enjoyable at all. The base rom (Fire Red) is not a base for a racing game, but for a roleplaying game. Everything in the game is based on battling with pokemon and not racing with them.

Therefore the endresult of adding a challenge like a race in a GBA Pokemon game would need a large modification, before it will eventually turn out to be something enjoyable. And I'm not capable of doing that.

2: No Pokemon from later generations will be added, so I don't see the point in eventually adding those islands.

3: If I remember correctly Machoke, Graveler, Haunter and Kadabra all evolve at level 40

4: That would be something for an eventual game with Ash's adventures in Johto, not the Orange Islands

Hope this clarifies:)

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.

Age 18
Male
Canada
Seen 15 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
309 posts
3.8 Years
thanks for updating the game looking forward to this being completed in the future keep up the good work
Rom hacks i support: Pokemon Adventure Red Chapter, Pokemon Gaia, Pokemon Firered Rocket Edition, Pokemon Orange, Pokemon Unbound, Pokemon Masterquest, Pokemon Saffron Version, Pokemon Dark energy, Pokemon Sevii

Hacks I have beta tested: Pokemon Masterquest, Pokemon Saffron, Pokemon Sevii

Currently Beta Testing:

IMPORTANT: i'm currently OPEN to ANY rom hacks that need beta testing. PM me on pokecommunity, thanks!
Seen November 17th, 2018
Posted July 8th, 2018
33 posts
13.8 Years
@Pokemaniaco

1: I know it's possible to make some kind of sled race/wave race available. But I did not find the sled race/wave race in Ash Gray or Naranja enjoyable at all. The base rom (Fire Red) is not a base for a racing game, but for a roleplaying game. Everything in the game is based on battling with pokemon and not racing with them.

Therefore the endresult of adding a challenge like a race in a GBA Pokemon game would need a large modification, before it will eventually turn out to be something enjoyable. And I'm not capable of doing that.

2: No Pokemon from later generations will be added, so I don't see the point in eventually adding those islands.

3: If I remember correctly Machoke, Graveler, Haunter and Kadabra all evolve at level 40

4: That would be something for an eventual game with Ash's adventures in Johto, not the Orange Islands

Hope this clarifies:)
Just started playing your game. I'm in Tangelo island now ;) Your hack is awesome so far!

1. Are you going to change the sprite for when surfing with lapras?
2. For the race challenges (pre-battling gym leaders), can't you make a script that goes something like this (I'm a noob at this... don't hurt me! XP)

You can make the gym leader go (for example) 10 steps down + 10 right + 10 up + 10 left, just as an NPC can do in any town. But when the gym leader does the "2nd" lap, you trap her in some kind of a non-walkable sprite, so that she isn't any more "reachable".
While the leader does that race you put some obstacles for you while you "race" with the gym leader (see Pokémon Naranja with the Mikan gym).
If you get to talk with the gym leader while she does that "race", you won the race and can proceed with the battle (just put a flag and you're done).
If you take time and just catch the gym leader after the does the "2nd race", you talk to that non-walkable sprite which tells you something like "you lost. please leave this place and return". When you return, all will be back to normal and you can re-do the race.

I think that these flags and scripts are somehow manageable, since you are using the walkable NPC script (that already comes with advancemap), with just that little difference at the end. If you didn't understand my thoughts, please ask me ;)

Keep up the great work! You are excellent!
Best regards,
Pokemaniaco

dearman4

Age 27
Male
Michigan
Seen 42 Minutes Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
271 posts
2.4 Years
This looks very cool, it uses Firered for the base rom, right? is it v1 or v1.1? If it said that somewhere I must have missed it!
Online now
Posted 11 Hours Ago
354 posts
11.8 Years
@Pokemaniaco

1: Nope, Surf will eventually be available as HM to make every Pokemon able to surf. So it would be weird if a lapras showed up in that case.

2: I thought I explained myself clear enough, but apparently I didn't. Of course I'm capable of making such a script as you're stating, but going through an event like that wouldn't give you a feel of actually being in a race... That would only feel like: 'The maker had to include this, because he wanted to exactly follow the Anime.' And that's not what I want. I choose nice gameplay over closely following the Anime. The Anime story is what this hack is based on, but it won't be exactly following that story.

Conclusion: No, there is not going to be pre-battling racing challenges.

@dearman4

I think all romhackers use FireRed 1.0 as a base, so that's what I did as well;) (If someone doesn't state anything about which version it's based on it will mostly be 1.0)
Male
Seen January 4th, 2020
Posted July 13th, 2018
2 posts
1.7 Years
Hey Kalarie.

I know i'm boring, but I don't understand why Crystal Onix can't be catchable. I know this pokemon wasn't catched in the anime, but this is a pokemon game, not an exact copy of the anime. There is not a lot of legendary Pokemon in the orange islands so it can be a special Pokemon like red Gyarados in Johto. This may be very cool if we can catch the Crystal Onix ^^. For exemple, a very good asset of Pokemon Naranja is this game follows the anime but stay a pokemon game, so Crystal Onyx is catchable ^^

I'm sorry cause I'm French, so my reply is maybe incomprehensible ^^.
Advertiser Content