• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] PokeMMO Pokemon MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeMMO

Squirtle
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
http://Pokemmo.eu

Tools/language used to develop
JAVA

An introduction to your project
This project began because we saw a need for a complete Pokemon experience in a massively multiple online world. Other projects have attempted to bring the full Pokemon experience to a MMORPG layout but have left a great deal to be desired. We plan on exceeding previous projects and bringing even more unique experiences to the world of Pokemon.

The plot
PokeMMO is based currently off of the FireRed version of pokemon. We strive to bring about the closest feel as possible to the FireRed version possible. There is not much else to describe as far as plot is concerned.

Features

World Data:
  • Kanto region (Completed 100%)
  • Map connections (Completed 100%)
  • Npc spawns (Completed 100%)
  • Wild encounter rates (Completed 100%)
  • Signpost spawns (Completed 90%)
  • World scripting (Inprogress 50%)
Graphics Engine:
  • Support for animated tiles (Completed 90%)
  • Support for basic player customization (Completed 100%)
  • Cliff jump animation (Completed 100%)
  • Move animations (Inprogress 50%)
  • Warp/Door animations (Not Started 0%)
Combat Engine:
  • Wild encounters (Completed 100%)
  • Escaping from battles (Completed 100%)
  • Battle support for Moves (Completed 100%)
  • Battle support for Switching (Completed 100%)
  • Battle support for Items (Inprogress 75%, Needs support for all item types)
  • PvP Battles (Inprogress 75%, Needs GUI for accepting/declining PvP requests.)
  • Trainer Battles (Completed 100%, Needs support for using next pokemon)
Pokemon Data:
  • Pokemon Data (Completed 100%)
  • EV Support (Completed 100%)
  • IV Support (Completed 100%)
  • Move learning (Completed 100%)
  • Nature support (Completed 100%)
  • Evolution support (Inprogress 50%, No animation or ability to cancel. No support for more complicated evolution types.)
  • Ability support (Not Started 0%)
Npc Data:
  • Npc Spawns (Completed 100%)
  • Npc interacting (Inprogress 75%)
Move Data:
  • Move Data (Inprogress 75%)
  • Incombat usage (Inprogress 50, Basic skill type support, advanced skills need more work)
  • Out of combat usage (Not Started 0%)
Item Data:
  • Item Data (Completed 100%)
  • Inventories (Completed 100%)
  • Incombat usage (Inprogress 75%, Needs support for all item types)
  • Out of combat usage (Inprogress 75%, Needs support for all item types)
Sound Engine:
  • Sound support (Inprogress 75%, Most underlying sound engine is complete. Sounds (Excluding background music) need completed.)
Screenshots / Videos

Beginning Town
ScreenShot001.jpg

Pokemon Battle
Pokemon_Battle.jpg

Chat Window
Pokemmo_ui_chatchannelsdemo.png

Inventory
Pokemmo_hud_inventorydemo.png

Players Pokedex
Pokemmo_hud_pokedexdemo.png

Ingame Settings
jhJ20.png

XzVTC.png

Wo2rb.png

cHoAN.png

Symbol for in a wild pokemon battle

PokeMMO

Squirtle
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
A little sneak preview of some features being added in next update

h32ho.png

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
I think he meant that the game itself is based off of Fire Red, like the graphics, music, etc, not that a rom is needed.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
I think he meant that the game itself is based off of Fire Red, like the graphics, music, etc, not that a rom is needed.

Their website says otherwise:
Download and Connection Guide:

1. If you haven't already, create an account here.
2. Download the PokeMMO client here.
3. Extract the client to any location on your computer.
4. Locate a compatible ROM (That you have the legal right to use) and put it in the /roms/ folder of the extracted client.
Current Compatible ROMS: Fire Red v1.0 USA
We will not supply you with the roms, or help you find them as they are copyrighted.
5. Windows: Run PokeMMO.exe
Linux: Run PokeMMO.sh

PokeMMO

Squirtle
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
Why the hell does it need it a firered rom to work?

Hello Khkramer,
Our server requires FireRed rom to operate as we do not provide any copyrighted material to play our server. That would be copyright infringement. You must locate a rom compatible with our server to play. Let me know if you have any other questions.

PokeMMO

Squirtle
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
We have just updated our server here is a list of what has been added.

Fix for the 'Go Back' button when selecting replacement pokemon for a fainted pokemon
Support for audio notification when your name is said. (Default disabled)
Fixing chat with keys rebound to WASD or similar
Added out of combat Potion usage. Needs support for more types and proper messages.
Support for using fishing rods. (TODO: Finish animations, proper messages, etc)
Fixed scripting for the Fishing Guru in 9.0
Support for evolution stones. Everstones too.
Added QUICK ATTACK / STRING SHOT / LEER animations.
Support for using bikes.
Scripting for the bike obtain subquest.
Properly preventing swapping pokemon to invalid slots.
Heal pokemon when they are deposited into the PC.
Implemention of basic happiness functions.
Support for basic trade evolutions.
Auto focus on last used skill in battle.
Left clicking player name in chat will change chat type into private message. Right click will open pop-up menu.
The ability to trade has been implemented.

PokeMMO

Squirtle
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
Another update below are the details.

Implementation of Poisonpowder / Poison Gas / Belly Drum / Aerial Ace / Shadow Punch / Magical Leaf / Shock Wave / Faint Attack / Swift / Night Shade / Seismic Toss / Self Destruct / Explosion / Poison Fang / Blaze Kick / Refresh / Hyper Beam / Blast Burn / Hydro Cannon / Frenzy Plant / Struggle / Take Down / Submission.
Animation added for Selfdestruct & Thundershock.
The chat window no longer displays >100 messages. Reduces CPU / memory usage.
Fixed broadcasting EVs after leveling.
Fixed a bug where preturn effects like Burn would not earn you EXP if it caused your opponent to faint.
Fixed a bug where the client would ask you to swap in a pokemon if the enemy's party had fainted.
Out of Battle move learning.
Sound is now defaulted to On.
Fixed a render issue which would cause jerkiness at low FPS.
Fixed a bug where you could learn the same move more than once.
Fixed a bug where evolved pokemon would not attempt to learn moves the same turn they were evolved in.
Fixed a crash with certain player inputs.
Possible fix for a crash when players switch pokemon in-battle.
Fixed a rare crash with the right click menu.
Fixing the issue where it would lock up client on pokemon swap while in battle with trainers sometimes.
Fixed rare crash due to lack of movement synchronization
Fixed so it doesn't show message of stat changes if pokemon did faint with damage effect.
Nameplates should be centered above character now.
Implemented scripting for the 3rd gym.
Fixed bug with music playing for 10 seconds after you have closed the game.
Fixed a bug where the right number of pokéballs were not displayed when fighting other trainers.

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2023
Hello Khkramer,
Our server requires FireRed rom to operate as we do not provide any copyrighted material to play our server. That would be copyright infringement. You must locate a rom compatible with our server to play. Let me know if you have any other questions.
But I thought ROMs are illegal, doesn't that make the whole thing worse?? :S

PokeMMO

Squirtle
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
I never stated how you must obtain the rom so my statement is no invalid. We do not have control over how players obtain a rom. But like you said I do not believe this is the arena to discuss.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2013
Extracting the data from a rom that is not distributed by you is one of the best ideas I've ever seen in the pokemon mo scene.

Kudos to this project :)

PokeMMO

Squirtle
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
Extracting the data from a rom that is not distributed by you is one of the best ideas I've ever seen in the pokemon mo scene.

Kudos to this project :)

Thank you for the complements it is definitely a unique idea that I think will work wonders in the future.

Catman

Testosterone Incarnate
Years
Thank you for the complements it is definitely a unique idea that I think will work wonders in the future.

I'm not sure on this but if you are extracting data directly from a ROM, you should also be able to check it's authenticity via the ROM's id. If it is a pirated copy you will probably have multiple people using that ROM's id. See if you can make a log of these and tie them to the user accounts for reference.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
I can't help but imagine that's going to be very limiting... not everyone has the means to get a ROM off a cart, and what if they never bought Fire Red specifically? I understand that you want to discourage piracy and whatnot, but I don't think many people are going to be able to get a legit ROM very easily, if that's what your game ends up requiring.

PokeMMO

Squirtle
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
There was an update to our server this morning with a great deal of bugs fixed and features implemented.

Features:
Revive potion-type implementation.
Repel potion-type implementation.
PP / Power / Accuracy stats have been added to skill tooltips.
Added a configurable FPS limit to the client. Defaults to 60.
A Block list has been added. Use /block Username to add a character to your block list. Blocking a character will reject all duels, trades, and will hide all messages sent by the player.
Global Chat channels (Trade and Global) now have a 15s cooldown.
Configurable hotkeys for item usage.
Elevators, with proper GUI / teleportation support.
Added support for capturing directly to the player's PC Box
Scripting for the Team Rocket hideout / Silph Scope in Celadon.
Scripting for Saffron City guards.
Scripting for Pokémon Tower Rival Battle.
Scripting for the Pokémon Tower Ghost Marowak encounter.
Updated scripting for Mr. Fuji, so that players do not become stuck upon teleporting.
Scripting for Mr. Fuji's Pokéflute.
LeafGreen exclusive spawns have been added to the encounter tables.
Moves:
Implemented HAZE, FAKE OUT, DRAGON RAGE, SYNTHESIS and DREAM EATER skill
Damaging poison moves implemented: POISON STING, SLUDGE, SMOG, SLUDGE BOMB
Non-damaging paralyze moves implemented: STUN SPORE, THUNDER WAVE, GLARE
Absorb moves implemented: ABSORB, MEGA DRAIN, LEECH LIFE, GIGA DRAIN
Multi-hit moves implemented: DOUBLESLAP, COMET PUNCH, FURY ATTACK, PIN MISSILE, BARRAGE, SPIKE CANNON, FURY SWIPES, BONE RUSH, ARM THRUST, ROCK BLAST, ICICLE SPEAR, BULLET SEED
Double-hit moves implemented: DOUBLE KICK, BONEMERANG
Party cure moves implemented: HEAL BELL, AROMATHERAPY
Added missing chance for accuracy stat down on: OCTAZOOKA, MUD-SLAP, MUDDY WATER
Added missing chance for sp attack stat down on: MIST BALL
Added missing recoil to DOUBLE-EDGE and VOLT TACKLE
Added missing badly poisoned skill effect to TOXIC
Bug Fixes:
Fixed a bug where the teleport location you teleported to upon whiting out would reset to Pallet Town randomly.
Fixed a bug where the Poison effect would show a Burn message when applying its end-of-turn damage.
Fixed a rare crash at the Server Select screen.
Inventories will now properly display when a consumable item was used.
Fixed a bug where using certain items on Pokemon outside of battle would result in an "Object Not Found" error.
Fixed an exploit with hidden items.
Recoil damage from skills like Struggle will now apply even if the enemy pokémon has fainted.

geox123

"Can go all night" Philosopher
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
I'm not sure on this but if you are extracting data directly from a ROM, you should also be able to check it's authenticity via the ROM's id. If it is a pirated copy you will probably have multiple people using that ROM's id. See if you can make a log of these and tie them to the user accounts for reference.
I can't help but imagine that's going to be very limiting... not everyone has the means to get a ROM off a cart, and what if they never bought Fire Red specifically? I understand that you want to discourage piracy and whatnot, but I don't think many people are going to be able to get a legit ROM very easily, if that's what your game ends up requiring.

You'd be surprised at how dirty the rom can be and still run fine with PokeMMO. It doesn't really need a perfect dump. Most Fire Red roms should work, including ones downloaded illegally. There is virtually no difference between a self dumped rom and one downloaded of the internet, because they all come from the same kind of cart (well, each version of the cart).

Basically, there is no "legit" rom. All roms are the same if they are dumped properly. And I'm sure most people here have knowledge on how to acquire roms, whether Kosher or not.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
You'd be surprised at how dirty the rom can be and still run fine with PokeMMO. It doesn't really need a perfect dump. Most Fire Red roms should work, including ones downloaded illegally. There is virtually no difference between a self dumped rom and one downloaded of the internet, because they all come from the same kind of cart (well, each version of the cart).

Basically, there is no "legit" rom. All roms are the same if they are dumped properly. And I'm sure most people here have knowledge on how to acquire roms, whether Kosher or not.
Well, if that's how it is, then okay! I'm still kinda wondering why you need a ROM to play an online game that's apparently being programmed from scratch, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back