• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Ratings

Years
It's hard because the anime is still strapped to marketing for the games and all that, but I feel like the show really just needs to find its own identity - that is, something that it can and wants to be - and then strive for that goal.
Family Guy and SpongeBob are types of comedies, Naruto is an action-adventure show with elements of drama, horror and more, but Pokémon doesn't really have an identity. Is Pokémon an action-adventure show? Is it a slap-stick comedy? I think that when the anime finally decides what it wants to be, we'll get a more complete show.
I've heard many people say that the anime is trying to compete with Yo-Kai Watch, and as a result, its trying to look more like Yo-Kai. I don't think that's very good for a show that's already struggling to find its own identity.

Ask yourself why you watch the show, and if your final answer is "because there's Pokémon in it", then you'll understand what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
I feel like they need to pick up the story. SM019 basically offered nothing.

There's still a lot of unanswered questions left hanging about.

I'll keep posting the ratings just because that's the whole point of the thread but I'm afraid that with a lack of stuff outside slapstick, the series won't hold up.

Years
It's hard because the anime is still strapped to marketing for the games and all that, but I feel like the show really just needs to find its own identity - that is, something that it can and wants to be - and then strive for that goal.
Family Guy and SpongeBob are types of comedies, Naruto is an action-adventure show with elements of drama, horror and more, but Pokémon doesn't really have an identity. Is Pokémon an action-adventure show? Is it a slap-stick comedy? I think that when the anime finally decides what it wants to be, we'll get a more complete show.
I've heard many people say that the anime is trying to compete with Yo-Kai Watch, and as a result, its trying to look more like Yo-Kai. I don't think that's very good for a show that's already struggling to find its own identity.

Your point is a strong one. A show needs its own identity to succeed and if Pokemon keeps changing up so much it fails to find that identity and that's why the fanbase of the anime is divided.

And I'm pretty sure Sun & Moon is copying Yo-Kai Watch's format to try and compete with it, especially when the XY/XYZ episodes got hammered badly in the ratings by Yo-Kai Watch. YKW has seemed to be on a ratings decline as of late, but it didn't stop the damage being done.

I feel like they need to pick up the story. SM019 basically offered nothing.

There's still a lot of unanswered questions left hanging about.

I'll keep posting the ratings just because that's the whole point of the thread but I'm afraid that with a lack of stuff outside slapstick, the series won't hold up.

I definitely admit that episode was crap, and the slow pacing coupled with a focus on slapstick makes me feel concerned to the point that like you said, the series not holding up. If the Sun & Moon series keeps going the way it is, people will keep walking out on the anime and it will rate even lower than Best Wishes, which is the current most hated saga as far as fan opinions go.

Years
But even then, if there is a bit of story progression in the next few episodes (which will likely be nothing more than Ash just catching another pokemon), after that its just back to more filler isn't it? I just kind of want a bit more from the show I guess. I want to keep watching but I don't know, I think the show is kind of losing me a bit.

Years
Also, how many of the English dub dates have been announced so far? Unpopular opinion, but I kind of prefer the dubs just cause its what I'm used to.

Years
Also, how many of the English dub dates have been announced so far? Unpopular opinion, but I kind of prefer the dubs just cause its what I'm used to.

If I recall, the SM dub titles known currently go up to SM006 (episode that focuses on Sophocles and his Togedemaru). The episode's title is A Shocking Grocery Run!.

Also, Frozo won't be posting ratings for this week in Japan since this was a break week.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
It's kinda hard to tell over text, but that was sarcasm right?

Somewhat. SM019 was ok as an episode, but very little if any story progresses in it.

We still don't know why Koko is interested in Ash or why he got a Z ring. I just expected more from it because the producers hyped it up.

Years
We still don't know why Koko is interested in Ash or why he got a Z ring. I just expected more from it because the producers hyped it up.

A new episode got announced for Japan today, which seems to be called Farewell, Mamane! (Mamane is Sophocles btw) and everyone on Serebii seems to be hyped for it, since I know a lot of users around their PokeAni section hated Sophocles due to how badly treated he is as a character.

What's the bet that will just be clickbait?

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2017
I'm just interested to see what episodes went down best with the target audience.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
I brought up the thought earlier in this thread that the target audience could be uninterested and no longer watching because of the lack of action and battles compared to the past. It would be interesting to see how true or not true this is.

Years
The ratings aren't super amazing(but then again these are tough times for the anime industry) but I'm pretty surprised how consist it is. I'm guessing a part of it is because people are losing interest in Yokai Watch. Their ratings doesn't seem as high as it once was.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
Yokai Watch Interest is probably still there... as the its movies consistently beats the Star wars movies in the japanese box office (Usually topping the charts as well).

Is it as big as it was when it exploded... no, of course not fads tend to come and go. It's japanese fan base is still huge tho.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 22, 2017
I like how you guys give so much importance on the ratings , ratings means NOTHING for a show like Pokemon... for example : Dragon Ball Kai had fantastic ratings and constantly made to the top five of the ratings before, but it got canceled prematurely because nobody bought any of the merchandise.

You all act like XY had the worst ratings ever but XY got like 6.6 during XY018 , tell me the ratings of SM018 ? Oh yeah 3.7... XY&Z didn't have the best ratings BUT it was a show which was airing since 2 years and a new game came out (ORAS) 1 year before... SM started only 6 month ago and the hype from the games is still a bit there, it's pretty stupid to compare ratings of S&M and XY&Z, if you compare XY season 1 and S&M , XY season 1 wins EASILY... I even made comparaison between SM001 - 20 and XY&Z episode 01 - 20

Spoiler:

Now , why is nobody talking about Best Wishes ? The ratings started to drop hard when BW was airing , B/W also got the LOWEST RATING EVER of the entire anime (BW077) you can check if you want , it was less than 2.2... S&M already got a 2.7 and it's ONLY the first season.

Then stop saying that Japanese didn't like XY&Z because it's totally wrong , maybe the kids got a bit more interest for S&M since it's more childish but Japanese loved XY&Z... XY&Z got ranked 209th anime of all time by a big poll which was from NHK where they asked the audience of the country about their favorite anime series since 1980 or something like that. Only Pokemon Original series got into the ranking (85th) with XY&Z, there is no AG , no D/P and no B/W.

I can't give you the source of the poll since I am not allowed to share links , if you are interested , PM me.

To conclude, if the Japanese didn't like XY&Z tell me WHY they got Serena's voice actress as a guest in the 20th anniversary special of the anime when they could have easily use a voice of the characters from the "so loved" Alola series instead ? Serena got also a whole segment about her during this special event when all the others girls including the Alola girls got nothing. If the ratings were that bad like you said and if the audience didn't care , I don't think they would have done this for the 20th anniversary of the whole anime.
On May 1st, they also asked Japan about their favorite Ash's Pokemon and favorite friend of Ash , it was a poll named "20th anniversary poll" made by a big website which is partner of "The Movie 20th : I choose you". If Greninja and a XY&Z character (Serena has the higher chance to win I guess) win this , I'll come back to you again to prove you that you were indeed wrong.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
I like how you guys give so much importance on the ratings , ratings means NOTHING for a show like Pokemon... for example : Dragon Ball Kai had fantastic ratings and constantly made to the top five of the ratings before, but it got canceled prematurely because nobody bought any of the merchandise.

You all act like XY had the worst ratings ever but XY got like 6.6 during XY018 , tell me the ratings of SM018 ? Oh yeah 3.7... XY&Z didn't have the best ratings BUT it was a show which was airing since 2 years and a new game came out (ORAS) 1 year before... SM started only 6 month ago and the hype from the games is still a bit there, it's pretty stupid to compare ratings of S&M and XY&Z, if you compare XY season 1 and S&M , XY season 1 wins EASILY... I even made comparaison between SM001 - 20 and XY&Z episode 01 - 20

Spoiler:

Now , why is nobody talking about Best Wishes ? The ratings started to drop hard when BW was airing , B/W also got the LOWEST RATING EVER of the entire anime (BW077) you can check if you want , it was less than 2.2... S&M already got a 2.7 and it's ONLY the first season.

Then stop saying that Japanese didn't like XY&Z because it's totally wrong , maybe the kids got a bit more interest for S&M since it's more childish but Japanese loved XY&Z... XY&Z got ranked 209th anime of all time by a big poll which was from NHK where they asked the audience of the country about their favorite anime series since 1980 or something like that. Only Pokemon Original series got into the ranking (85th) with XY&Z, there is no AG , no D/P and no B/W.

I can't give you the source of the poll since I am not allowed to share links , if you are interested , PM me.

To conclude, if the Japanese didn't like XY&Z tell me WHY they got Serena's voice actress as a guest in the 20th anniversary special of the anime when they could have easily use a voice of the characters from the "so loved" Alola series instead ? Serena got also a whole segment about her during this special event when all the others girls including the Alola girls got nothing. If the ratings were that bad like you said and if the audience didn't care , I don't think they would have done this for the 20th anniversary of the whole anime.

On May 1st, they also asked Japan about their favorite Ash's Pokemon and favorite friend of Ash , it was a poll named "20th anniversary poll" made by a big website which is partner of "The Movie 20th : I choose you". If Greninja and a XY&Z character (Serena has the higher chance to win I guess) win this , I'll come back to you again to prove you that you were indeed wrong.

Kindly tell me where XY beats the first eighteen episodes of Best Wishes in that regard then.

Number by number comparisons mean nothing and show you don't really understand how ratings work. The numbers are fine for both XY and SM, it's how they do around competition and whether they can retain most of that viewership. The anime is only losing viewers that watch TV live because viewing habits have changed, more people watch illegally via streams online/uploads and whenever they want to fit around their lives, not at X o clock on Yday. Notice how One Piece and other anime have less viewers than they did years ago.

But if you really want to place emphasis on rating numbers, XYZ hit lows of <2.0 so don't say BW had the lowest number because it did not and actually achieved figures XY could have only dreamed of.

OS and XY make sense because of primary and recency effect. Also goes to show that XY isn't nearly as liked as other sagas by the fact OS makes the top 100.

Serena only got her own segment because the presenters on the show asked who someone's favourite character was. Shokotan (the person asked) prepared something, did a quick montage of all the girls before she was asked who her favourite was, at which point the clips played where the narrator said; 'the legendary female lead that makes Shokotan's heart pound with emotional excitement more than any other'.

Emphasis on Shokotan. Not the Pokemon Company, not the viewers. Shokotan. As in, her personal opinion.

The only real part you were correct on was that ratings mean nothing because the games are still selling like hot cakes which is the entire point of the anime.

and I wouldn't be surprised to see Greninja and Serena win tbqh, recency effect at work and the fact a lot of the OS nostalgia fans are put off by the movie because of the fact Misty and Brock were essentially replaced by Makato and Souji.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 22, 2017
Kindly tell me where XY beats the first eighteen episodes of Best Wishes in that regard then.

Number by number comparisons mean nothing and show you don't really understand how ratings work. The numbers are fine for both XY and SM, it's how they do around competition and whether they can retain most of that viewership. The anime is only losing viewers that watch TV live because viewing habits have changed, more people watch illegally via streams online/uploads and whenever they want to fit around their lives, not at X o clock on Yday. Notice how One Piece and other anime have less viewers than they did years ago.

But if you really want to place emphasis on rating numbers, XYZ hit lows of <2.0 so don't say BW had the lowest number because it did not and actually achieved figures XY could have only dreamed of.

OS and XY make sense because of primary and recency effect. Also goes to show that XY isn't nearly as liked as other sagas by the fact OS makes the top 100.

Serena only got her own segment because the presenters on the show asked who someone's favourite character was. Shokotan (the person asked) prepared something, did a quick montage of all the girls before she was asked who her favourite was, at which point the clips played where the narrator said; 'the legendary female lead that makes Shokotan's heart pound with emotional excitement more than any other'.

Emphasis on Shokotan. Not the Pokemon Company, not the viewers. Shokotan. As in, her personal opinion.

The only real part you were correct on was that ratings mean nothing because the games are still selling like hot cakes which is the entire point of the anime.

and I wouldn't be surprised to see Greninja and Serena win tbqh, recency effect at work and the fact a lot of the OS nostalgia fans are put off by the movie because of the fact Misty and Brock were essentially replaced by Makato and Souji.

1."Kindly tell me where XY beats the first eighteen episodes of Best Wishes in that regard then. " ->
Huh ? You guys are comparing XY SEASON 3 with S&M SEASON 1 that's why I said that it's not fair and actually the firsts ratings of BW were fantastic (9.3) but got lower and lower really fast... While XY kept around 4-5-6 during the first season and 4-5 during the second, BW season 2 on the other hands got a lot of time lower than 3. XY season 1 also did better ratings than some episodes of D/P season 4... If I follow your logic then Japanese liked XY more than D/P ?

2. I know the numbers are fine for both of them , I just don't liked how you guys acted like Japanese didn't like XY because it's totally wrong , some of them like XY , some of them like S&M , some of them like both , it works like it works here.
I really want to know where XY hit <2.0 because Bulbapedia list BW077 as the lowest episode ever in the Pokemon anime.
We also got an interview by the director of XY&Z after the saga was over... First time a director was interviewed since Takeshi Shudo in 2005 I believe ? Why did they do that ? The magazine actually paid the XY director to talk about a show that is not loved at all (according to you) ? Those guys are really weird ! :P

3."OS and XY make sense because of primary and recency effect. Also goes to show that XY isn't nearly as liked as other sagas by the fact OS makes the top 100." ->
OS is a legendary saga for everybody who love Pokemon , of course it's in the top100 and others saga ARE NOT in the top 500, only XY&Z is in the top 200,it's a poll from 1980 to 2016 so Japanese could have voted for D/P or AG easily but no, they only voted for XY&Z and OS instead.

4."Serena only got her own segment because the presenters on the show asked who someone's favourite character was." ->
Come on... Do you really think they would have allowed Shoko to have this segment if her favorite character was Iris (no disrespect to her I actually like this character) ? The show was prepared , they knew exactly what they were doing and what the fans wanted , don't be stupid... Why did they asked only Shoko about her favorite character (especially when every japanese knew since 2014 that she loves Serena) ? Why not the others guest ? Why only Shoko ? They knew Serena was popular, they did this on purpose, I don't even want to talk about the Serena music box and all these stuffs because you seem to forget to be objective when you don't like a character...
Oh and no comments from you about Serena's voice actress ? I still want to know why she was there instead of the "so loved" Alola characters who are currently in the show. If it's not popularity and love from the audience for Serena and XY&Z, I don't know what is it, especially considering the fact that she is not a part of the new show. (for the 10th anniversary special, they brought back Misty's VA at that time... I wonder which character was loved and popular before Dawn come...Nah according to you , it's random)

5."I wouldn't be surprised to see Greninja and Serena win tbqh, recency effect at work and the fact a lot of the OS nostalgia fans are put off by the movie because of the fact Misty and Brock were essentially replaced by Makato and Souji." ->
The movie was well received in Japan , of course, if they would have used Brock and Misty instead , the profit would have been better but even without them, the movie was still well received in Japan, they are not the type of people to complain anyway, only the US got mad about it and I perfectly understand.
When Japan like Serena and Greninja more it's all about recency ? What about B/W ? Did Iris and Cilan were liked like that after the end of B/W except for their popular voice actors ? I thought the ratings meant everything ? I can agree that it's a part but recency is only a small part of the thing. Don't mistake your opinions with the facts, that's all I have to say on this topic, now carry on and emphasis your love for S&M by their (poor for a new show) ratings if you want.

Last edited:
Back