• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OC x OVP love child.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I've been thinking, with the number of ambiguous threads that show up which could be put in either OC or OVP, why don't we just merge the two and have OVP as a subforum of OC? It'd bring higher activity to both forums and hopefully confuse people less when they find a subforum of OC specifically for polls! I think this is a great idea. Who's with me? I'd also be up for merging them completely without the whole subforum thing but I guess that could get a little messy.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
No thank you. Please go sit at the back of the class and think about what you've done.

OVP is an incredibly active forum. All you need to do is post a new thread and people flock to it. If you're having activity problems in your forum, that's your responsibility to sort out. Don't try and drag OVP down with you. To make it a sub-forum in particular would be incredibly disrespectful. It is more active than OC (particularly if you don't count the DCC) and is worthy of its own space.

This is why I thought at the time it was being discussed - and still think now - that Pokemon Voting Polls should have been made its own forum rather than a sub-forum. They seem to get about equal activity (Toujours? Confirmation?) and yet PVP is stuffed down into a little pocket of Pokemon General like it doesn't matter just as much. That's always annoyed me tbh.

And to follow your other suggestion of just merging them without making a subforum, well that would be a gigantic cluster****. Not to mention the fact that it would then be a section with four mods and four different modding styles, none of which would be compatible with one another. Sammi and I have enough trouble getting along as it is, why would we add two more people into that hot mess?

Though you do bring up an interesting idea. Why don't we just merge all the sections into one and rename the site "PokeCommunity Soup"?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Stuffing OVP down to a sub-forum of a lesser active forum will bring more activity to it? I don't think so. "OVP is an incredibly active forum. All you need to do is post a new thread and people flock to it. If you're having activity problems in your forum, that's your responsibility to sort out. Don't try and drag OVP down with you. It is more active than OC (particularly if you don't count the DCC) and is worthy of its own space."

I'm also inclined to agree with Andrew about PVP. Pokémon General is by far the OC of the Pokémon-related forums, so to have PVP (which is the OVP of the Pokémon-related forums) as a sub-forum there doesn't make much sense to me as much as it did when we were planning it. PVP is probably more active than Pokémon General most of the time as it is. I think moving it out of there and setting it as a forum with it's own space would be nice.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
As an ex-S-Mod and Führer of PokéCommunity AND an ex-OVP moderator, I cannot stand back idly while some 'hotshot' Southern newbie mod tries to damage the glorious reputation of Other Voting Polls. The mere thought of merging the pure, unadulterated OVP with the cesspool of corruption (yes, I said it, corruption) that is OC is bad enough, but to make OVP subservient to OC. Them's fighting talk. Honestly, I feel so strongly about this that if it goes through, I'll hand in my resignation right here and now.

Years
**** you, Razor Leaf. OVP is going to become a subforum over my dead body. I ain't playing second fiddle to no forum and none of its moderators.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Since you apparently are too cool to read the threads that were posted during your emo days, I'll just quote it:

You know I think we should just remove postcount and merge it with OVP since OC is meant to be a spampit like OVP is and you have only created a freaking debate forum like Serebii's

Nihilego

Years
All of you other than Went are current or ex-OVP mods and therefore extremely biased and unable to see that OC is just better than OVP. We have serious discussions. You have one-liner answers to questions that no-one cares about. This is why you should be a subforum of the real off-topic forum. It'd generate even more activity for both forums anyway tbh.

Went hdu say that OC is a spam forum. The only 'spammish' part of it is the DCC and maybe the Celebrations forum but even that is pretty much fine as it is. OVP, however, is pure spam. Which is why its postcount should be disabled and it should be moved into OC. Have the real forum up front and the spam forum behind it.

Ivysaur

Years

Went hdu say that OC is a spam forum. The only 'spammish' part of it is the DCC and maybe the Celebrations forum but even that is pretty much fine as it is. OVP, however, is pure spam. Which is why its postcount should be disabled and it should be moved into OC. Have the real forum up front and the spam forum behind it.

OC is meant to be a spampit like OVP is and you have only created a freaking debate forum.

Hmmm hmmmm hmmmm either I can't explain myself or someone can't understand written English HMMMM

Nihilego

Years
Why are we talking about what OC is meant to be? Trying to keep everything to its original purpose won't get anyone anywhere. OC has changed to be something much more than what it was originally 'meant' to be and it's emerged a very intellectual and interesting section.

Edit: WAIT HANG ON HERE IF OC IS MEANT TO BE LIKE OVP THEN WHY NOT MERGE THEM HMMMMMMM

Shining Raichu

Years
I have a real hard time fathoming how it could possibly generate activity for both forums. OVP is crazy active already, it will do nothing but harm to OVP. I definitely can see how it would boost activity in OC, but once again:

Shining Raichu said:
If you're having activity problems in your forum, that's your responsibility to sort out. Don't try and drag OVP down with you.

Nihilego

Years
I have a real hard time fathoming how it could possibly generate activity for both forums.

Because it's got traffic from both OC and OVP rather than OVP alone.

Years
What the everloving hell is the problem with you? OVP on the whole isn't hurting anything, even in its current imperfect forum. Even as it is now I wouldn't want anyone to touch it. Why are you so insistent on changing a forum you don't mod? >:|

I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally hate to agree with Shining Raichu *UGH*, but seriously, if this is an elaborate grab for more OC activity, **** you. Go fix your forum. That's your job, you know.

Are you just jealous because we're listed before you? We can swap positions. OVP was at its most awesome when it was the last forum on the list.

Shining Raichu

Years
I've never actually understood the listing of the forums in Off-Topic. It seems kind of counter-intuitive to me. In my opinion it should go:

Other Chat
Other Voting Polls
Other Clubs
Other Trivia

That echoes the Alternative Pokemon Discussion forum way more accurately and it also just looks nicer and neater in general.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I never understood why it is how it is either. Trivia isn't more important than actual "discussions" so... ;x Yeah should be changed, really.

Ivysaur

Years
Trivia is clearly the most relevant forum of these, so it's going to stay up there. After all, how many higher staff have been promoted after modding OC? The number is very simple: 0. And OT was MY first forum so there is nothing else to discuss here. Full stop.

Last edited:

Nihilego

Years
I think you should make me the first staff promoted after modding OC tbh!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I refuse to. What use does trivia have in real life compared to actual news discussions? None!

Years
I think we should flip Alternative Pokemon Discussions around. It would cut down on spam in Pokemon General because all of the Pokemon-related forums except for ROM Hacking & Emulation will sit above it, and it'll be clear that anything Pokemon-related not covered above is to be discussed there.

Back