• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Frostweaver's Writing Academy

Years
I suppose it may be too early to reply since you're not done, but what the hey.
Going to disect this first paragraph like no tomorrow... Afterall, the first paragraph is vital to persuade your readers to keep on reading.
-the first sentence got some interesting content, but its presentation can use some work. It sounds like the beginning of an explanation as if this is an essay, and it lacks strength... essays are never interesting to read.
-"tons of water" is very casual and also lacks strength. Use "within the depths" instead of "deep under tons of water" to emphasize the mysterious atmosphere.
-the legendary's ancient power doesn't have much to do with its knowledge on "the time." I'll put this fact in with the previous sentence, or start a new one.
-the last sentence is a very weak ending compare to the rest of the paragraph. Again, stay away from words that imply a casual tone such as "talked about." Generally, if a word has a very vague definition (eg. stuff, thing, talk, say) then it's probably very casual in tone. If the word has a specific yet abstract meaning, it is the word you're looking for.
You'll probably want to keep up the seriousness throughout the section where the narrator talks of the legendary creature.
I wrote that paragraph two years ago, and I have no idea why it hasn't been shredded through revision like the rest of the fic. Ah well, I'll edit most of those things. The last sentence is particularly bugging me now. ><
"That was as it was" has so many "was" that it sounds repetitive. Always strive to use a word no more than once in a sentence, even if it is an article or a basic verb like "is."
Argh, I thought I killed that sentence in Revision 8 >< I guess not oO;
Is it even necessary to reveal the secret pact so early in the story? It's a dead hint that half of this story will involve the "reawakening" of the 8 legendaries, and how each of them will come to their rightful human partner. Even if that is incorrect, it can't be far off.
Not really. It's one of those background info type things. Not trying to be defensive, but readers knowing that is necessary, but doesn't really reveal much at all.

I'm not sure how to defend the title. It's mostly symbolic of a plotline that comes in much later in the fic, mainly concerning the events that happened a thousand years ago.

In any case, I hate the prologue. Were it not for its absolute necessity as far as backstory and forshadowing, I would've changed it ages ago. Is it alright if I please, please, please request that you at least read chapter one before posting the full review?

*Runs off to edit stuffs and crud ><*
EDIT: I changed some stuff, not sure if I made it better or not...

~Chibi~

Last edited:
Years
I'm gonna post my new comments as a separate post so it gets noticed *shot for double posting* ><

I'll be quiet on Aija for now because somehow I think that she is... On another note about Aija, it doesn't seem very suitable to have Aija return for a chapter, and then she is never mentioned again at all by Jade. Afterall, Aija is/was her best friend, and after such an amazing adventure together, it only seems reasonable for Jade to bring Aija up from time to time. To me, this is quite a severe problem, as I'm even tempted to throw her into "Minor Characters" rating even though I feel that she is intended to be a major character. So far, it's easily the weakest of all major character... hope that in the future chapters, she will have a stronger character basis.
Mentioned in later chapters...I suppose I could do that... In any case she does come into the story again later.

If it's that close to Viridian City, then it doesn't make much sense how basically no one else noticed the Rocket's attack on Entei, and the destruction of the nearby environment. It's not very believable.
Garr, I discovered that a long time ago and have been trying to think of ways to fix it while hoping that no one noticed in the meantime... >< In any case, I think I just figured out a possible way...

When Jade is opening the confiscated pokeballs, it's really hard to believe that Razors, the Pikachu and Tyson are still continuing their battle without being even slightly distracted by the sudden appearance of an entire herde of potential enemies (and like what Jade narrated, some of them are formidable and powerful Pokemon.) It's hard to believe that Jade got the time, undistracted by the others, to open all these pokeballs and see Rudy. Don't forget that Tyson probably got weapons of his own besides Razors (or other Pokemon) that can be used to fight Jade and the confiscated Pokemon. It doesn't make sense how no one interfered or even commented on what Jade in in those... 10 paragraphs? ... Wait! The explanation came at the very end AFTER all of that happened already? Hmm we can certainly move the explanation up front.
Aha, yet another job for the magic-fix-it-stick! (I've had to use this thing way too much lately ><) *makes a mental note to prod those paragraphs later to magically fix them.*

Houndour has an illegal moveset containing Quick Attack. It's really not so thrilling to see an ordinary Pokemon with an illegal moveset =/ Try not to twist the canon unless necessary.
Err...oops. XP I wasn't going for that *will edit* XP

Karen's talk about new recruits sound pretty lax, especially about those who joined for the heck of it... it kind of clashes the tough appearnace you've made for Team Rocket in the beginning.
Actually, about a week ago I noticed that but for some reason i've just been too lazy to fix it ><

Chibi doesn't impress me as much as the signature seems to suggest... I thought that he is pretty predictable o_O; However, just because he is predictable, it doesn't mean that he is a bad character. An experimental Pokemon that loaths the humans for 'controlling' Pokemon? I think I see something that's purple and white...
I dunno, I wouldn't think of him as loathing humans...maybe...I dunno, he gets devloped more when he comes back into the story...
Err Stalker (yes I see him as a pretty minor character) isn't very likable of a character actually. Seems to be a great guy, but then maybe I'm just picky about it? He is described to be "ahead of his teammates" once by Jade, and he forgot to find a way for The Rebellion to communicate with one another. The way how Stalker dispatched his agents on to important missions, such as interfering with the capturing of Raikou, isn't very realistic. He talked about battling but nothing on even general guidelines to stopping Team Rocket in field missions. It resulted in great confusion among his agents... sounds too unorganized for someone of his importance in the overthrowing of Team Rocket. Well, we'll see... As a character, he seems to be rather... poorly planned in comparison to all the others. His character is so general that he doesn't stand out at all if it isn't for his (fake) name. Just compare him in Chapter 1, and in Chapter 7, and he doesn't seem the same anymore. It's as if the author changed her mind about him, and then chose to develop him in another manner half way through the story.
As for the problems concerning the way he runs the team, those I can fix.
As for his character...well...*shuts up quickly.*
Tyson is probably the best minor character. He actually has an unique character (Tyson bickering with the executive after the crash landing is gold... hilarious scene that builds character as well) unlike the other minor character. It'll be very nice to see more human characters that have their unique trait like Tyson. He deserves a Rocket Cookie for being the 2nd best human character up to Chapter 8 (1st to Jade of course.)
Wow...that was unexpected. oO; Actually that argument was more intended to be hidden plot than character development. Woosh ^^

Meh, I gotta go, bell just rang >> I'll add other comments later today *is very thankful that you didn't notice the uber-plot hole in chapter 3 XP*

~Chibi~

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Major plothole? You mean like, a living Aerodactyl processed by a super young and not-so-famous trainer? Aija seems to have suddenly return, yet after the battle Aija and Jade act like they have always been together. Why would Jade moving to New Bark Town affect Aija at all really? My take on it is that Aija herself is highly questionable, and if anything, she's <censored just in case if Frosty predicts wrongly.> If my guess is right, then it'll explain a lot of Aija's awkwardness.

As Silverblaze mentioned, there does seem to be a period of time where the Rockets aren't battling Jade's party at all. But then, there's still Espeon and Aerodactyl out there against the Rockets even though it's not mentioned. It's first person narrative. If the narrator shifts her focus away from the battle on to something else, then of course it's not going to be mentioned even if it is still on-going, right?

So, what is the "major plothole" in chapter 3 anyway?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Smitten, by Akinari

Title- 5/5
5 Title is symbolic, highly relevant and unique to the story
4 Title is relevant to and descriptive about the story
3 Title is descriptive, but is not precise in terms of descriptiveness, or is cliché
2 Title is general, and applicable to most stories
1 Title is irrelevant, and applicable to all stories

Nothing much to say here except that it's original (I can't recall any other "Smitten") and it fits. The title is even used in the later part of the story. Oneshots always have an advantage that it's easier to find a suitable title.

Narrative Manner- 5/5
5 Narrative manner is excellent, and adds strength and/or hidden meaning to the story
4 Narrative manner is good, and adds some emphasize to the story
3 Narrative manner is decent, and is suitable to the story
2 Narrative manner is acceptable but not precise, or format is incorrect
1 Narrative manner is poor, and weakens the story

1st person narrative shows the initial shock that Yellow is crossdressing better than all the other narratives. It is a perfect choice.

Grammar/Coherence- 7/10
10 Grammar mistakes are inexistent, and coherence exists throughout the entire story
8-9 Grammar mistakes are rare, and coherence exists throughout the entire story
6-7 Grammar mistakes are uncommon, but story occasionally suffers loopholes in plot
5 Grammar mistakes are common, and story occasionally suffers loopholes in plot
1-4 Grammar mistakes are common, and story suffers loopholes in plot

I didn't know he was this serious.
"that he was serious."

It was afternoon that day that
the second "that" needs to be a "when." Not only is it grammatically inaccurate, it looks bad for diction as well. We always try to avoid using the same word two times in the same sentence in narration (a few words are exceptions to this rule, of course, but "that" isn't one of them.)

But it went awfully fast to me.
that's an incomplete sentence... "But" is a conjunction, but this sentence isn't hooking up with anything... You can get around this with a comma after "but" because this is first narrative.

Verb tenses shouldn't jump back and forth... verb tenses should always stay in the past tense unless the action continues on from back then all the way up until now.

Green used past tense in this entire narration, so why would he talk about "tonight" when it's actually in the past? Use "that night" instead.

But then her explanation was quite believable.
"But" suggests a change in idea from one side to another... nothing changed here though, so why use it? It doesn't make much sense.

There's even more sentences that aren't independent and needs to join with each other... try to fix those ones. For a short story of this length, there can be a lot less grammar mistakes...

Major Character(s)- 13/15
14-15 Major characters are very multi-faceted. All details are highly precise and relevant
12-13 Major characters are multi-faceted. Most details are highly precise and relevant
11-12 Major characters are multi-faceted but limited. Details are precise and relevant
9-10 Major characters are slightly stereotypical. Details are precise but not very relevant
7-8 Major characters are generally stereotypical. Details are present but need precision.
5-6 Major characters are stereotypical. Details are present but limited in amount.
1-4 Major characters have no personality traits, and no details are paid to characters.

Again, it's a near flawless section for this story. Yellow barely talks so how hard is it to portrait her accurately, especially when she is pretty stereotypical as a shy little girl in the manga. So there's nothing much to say about her here. I only read synopsis of the manga so I'm not sure if Yellow really uses "______-sama" that much, so I'll ignore that one.

As for Green, I'm not sure if I'm really hearing Green or is Frosty hearing "Niko" narrating in the middle of the story? Remember that it's first person, so you will have to try to write as Green rather than yourself. I'm very sure that the numerous account of "eyes" (that word is used more than any other noun excluding pronouns in the story too) meeting then sparkle is such a typical Niko-style writing, and I'm pretty sure that Green doesn't record these kinds of details (or at least, not talk about eyes and eyes meeting THAT much.) I know that the point of the oneshot is to see how Green softens up to Yellow on that night, then toughens up again, but that is getting slightly out of hand. I'm pretty sure that Green doesn't think exactly like you even though I only read synopsis about the manga, and if he does like Yellow, he'll like her more than just "eyes" "dazzing eyes" and "blue eyes" (YGO pun not intended.) I'm pretty sure that if Green likes Yellow, it'll be for her character, and how she summons up her courage for the task at hand even though she basically has none. You did talk about it a bit, but it's nowhere as developed as "the eyes." I'll strongly recommand you to shift the attention from "the eyes" to talk more about Yellow's character, and how that is likable in Green's perceptions.

The ending of the story is very well done. It's very believable for Green to handle the situation in this exact same manner.

No marks are given based on multi-facets because the characters are not original, and that the oneshot is trying to portrait the characters to be as close as those of the original. So, no marks loss even though Yellow has basically only two facets (and Blue gave her one of the two, so one of them isn't even really hers,) less than all the manga characters.

Minor Character(s)- omit/10
9-10 Minor characters are necessary and relevant, contributing to the story in multiple ways
7-8 Minor characters are interesting and relevant, contributing to the story
6-7 Minor characters are interesting, but are limited in contribution to the story
4-5 Minor characters are irrelevant, and are limited in contribution to the story
1-4 Minor characters are completely irrelevant, and are completely unnecessary to the story

No minor characters, so omit

Story Details- 8/10
9-10 Details are relevant, contributing to at least four out of the five story components
7-8 Details are sometimes relevant, contributing to most story components
5-6 Details are lacking, not necessarily relevant and verisimilitude is endangered
3-4 Details are severely lacking, and verisimilitude is damaged
1-2 Details are almost inexistent, and verisimilitude is severely damaged

Nothing too much to say here... it's basically rewriting a very short and specific scene from the manga, with the author adding what he thinks will be running through Green's mind at that moment. It's so closely tied in with character, so just look back up there. Since this is a romance story and it's in first person narrative as well, all details come from the character...

Conflict- 5/5
5 At least 3 conflicts are present, "good and evil" cannot be divided
4 Many conflicts are present to enhance the plot, "good and evil" are questionable
3 "Man vs. Man" along other conflicts, but "good and evil" are obvious
2 "Man vs. Man" only, good and evil are obvious
1 "Man vs. Man" only, ending is highly predictable

Obviously, the "good and evil" objective can't be applied here so ignore that from the marking guide... How else can you write conflicts for a romance story besides this? There's the "triangle" relationship, and internal problem (and Green decided to give up the relationship because his duty is more important.) So, this story got them all. Very tempting to just omit it cause it seems like this fanfic is stealing so much marks from me...

Diction/Tone- 13/15
14-15 Diction greatly contributes to story components. Tone is very relevant and suitable
12-13 Diction contributes to story components. Tone is suitable but not always relevant
10-11 Diction and tone are suitable but not always relevant
8-9 Diction and tone are sometimes suitable but always relevant
6-7 Diction and tone are sometimes inappropriate and are not relevant
1-5 Diction and tone are inappropriate and are not considered by the author

"get warmth" works grammatically but it sounds so awkward to say that I just have to throw it here... o_O;;

Green keeps shifting between apprentice and student for Yellow... now usually we do try to use different words so everything is not as boring, but in this case I think that you should consider being more consistent in student or apprentice. The word that's chosen reveals what Green thinks of Yellow. Student is closer, while apprentice is farther away, and for a romance story, these words that hint on a relationship is quite important.

As we mentioned already, all the "eye"-talk doesn't fit very well as a tone for Green, even when he softens... tone builds the backbone for a romance story, so again, refer all the way back up there in character.

It took a second and a half before I realized at what I was looking at.
the "second and a half" sounds a bit too specific isn't it? Let's not distract the readers from the main juicy stuff, and replace it with a vague term for time.

Story Structure- omit/15
14-15 Story structure is carefully planned and greatly contributes to all story components
12-13 Story structure is planned and contributes to most story components
10-11 Story structure is planned and contributes to some story components
8-9 Story structure is slightly weak and sometimes contributes to some story components
6-7 Story structure is weak and rarely contributes to story components
4-5 Story structure is weak and endangers the story components
1-3 Story structure is fragile and damages the story components

It's such a short, specific scene from the manga that what can I possibly say about story structure... omit

Effort- 8/10
9-10 A great amount of effort is shown. Author's re-read and editing are apparent.
7-8 A good amount of effort is shown. Further double checking maybe necessary.
5-6 A good amount of effort is shown. Double checking and spell checking are necessary.
1-4 A limited amount of effort is shown. Please use spell check and other helpful devices.

Even if you're bad at the tenses and conjunctions, surely as a fanfic mod, you can do it ;p

Literal Device Bonus- + 0/15 (Foreshadowing /1, Contradictive Style /1, Foil /1, Dramatic Irony /2, Situational Irony /2, Allusion /2, Motif/Symbols /3, Theme /3)

Total- 66/75 => 85/100

Last edited:
Years
Major plothole? You mean like, a living Aerodactyl processed by a super young and not-so-famous trainer? Aija seems to have suddenly return, yet after the battle Aija and Jade act like they have always been together. Why would Jade moving to New Bark Town affect Aija at all really? My take on it is that Aija herself is highly questionable, and if anything, she's <censored just in case if Frosty predicts wrongly.> If my guess is right, then it'll explain a lot of Aija's awkwardness.
Yarg >>
The Aerodactyl thing gets explained later.

In any case, I'm pretty sure I know what your prediction is. Now I'm scared of what's gonna happen when you read chapters 15-17...ack, and 19 >< *hides under rock.* *Gets driven out from under the rock by an angry mob of readers demanding chapter 16.*

Silverwing: Chibi, if you keep talking to him, LC will spontaneously explode >>
Too late. *Grabs pieces of LC and a humongous bottle of glue.* Clear!!! Must save the dying ficcy!!!!!!!
Silverwing: Ironic. A year ago she said, and I quote: "I need to get Frostweaver to tear LC to shreds so I can take my magic-fix-it-glue-and make it even better."
So, what is the "major plothole" in chapter 3 anyway?
In chapter 9, there's a quote where Chibi says that he only beat Team Rocket as a fluke because he was filled with Pichu's electricity. When I first wrote chapter 3, I was focusing on Chibi's uber-power, but then I started focusing on his weaknesses later. If he only won becuase he had Pichu's power, then there's no real reason why he had to be the one to use Discharge. Pichu could have just done it the second Ajia got there. And there's no way to just say that Pichu couldn't do Discharge, 'cause she had to be able to in order to channel her energy to Chibi. *_* I asked all my readers to help me fix it, but no one could come up with anything.

~Chibi~

Years
Thanks Frosty! Much appreciated it and you know grammar is my worst enemy out there... the Standardized Tests here say that I'm weakest in detecting grammar errors... XD

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Chibi Pika said:
In chapter 9, there's a quote where Chibi says that he only beat Team Rocket as a fluke because he was filled with Pichu's electricity. When I first wrote chapter 3, I was focusing on Chibi's uber-power, but then I started focusing on his weaknesses later. If he only won becuase he had Pichu's power, then there's no real reason why he had to be the one to use Discharge. Pichu could have just done it the second Ajia got there. And there's no way to just say that Pichu couldn't do Discharge, 'cause she had to be able to in order to channel her energy to Chibi. *_* I asked all my readers to help me fix it, but no one could come up with anything.

~Chibi~

Now's the time to shove everything down Zapdo's throat. Legendary and their almighty powers can explain everything in the universe ^_^

Back