• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Asphar Version

Of which feature would you like to see a short video?

• A Storyline Event

Votes: 44 40.0%
  • The Revamped Intro

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • The Battle System

Votes: 38 34.5%
  • Training

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • The Laptop

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • The Menu

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Pokemon World

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Move Selection

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • Something Else (please state)

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen May 10, 2021
Maybe you should include the number.
That was one of the bigger details to the game i think.
And when we were little we would always brag about how much better our pokemon there then anyone elses, by lookin at the numbers of course.
So i say yea, if your up for it, do it.

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
You could also try doing what was done with giving PokeBlocks to your Pokemon; that little pentagon thing that would fill in a certain way depending on which trait (cute, beauty, etc) was better-fed to it. The numbers were pretty much a big thing in the games, though, but it's up to you.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Thanks for the nice comment about Protectors.
I want to point out that it was not my reaction "oh this guy is coping me" (since my games has no levels either ha) but in fact I was like "is this an Rm2k3 thing"- since I am aware of the limits it has and sometimes corners must be cut but can be cut with a style.

As for the stat thing, I have the same issue. It's confusing to do something like it, but I feel you need to add something to show progression.
Stats, and levels, are a huge part of the Gamefreak games and if they were gone, Pokémon wouldn't be what it was. The ability to brag about how strong your team is and what not.
You have to add something to show to the player that their Pokémon is growing but still have the concept that you want to push at the same time.
I decided to only go with 4 stats- attack, speed, defense and health- and I think this game should go nearly in the same direction.

Heres my idea.

Do something like- have a graph that has bars for each stat- or overall power. Then let's say after 5 battles, you work out how the player preformed with that pokemon and randomly increase each stat they done well on- so like, maybe if they took a lot of attacks- increase the health and defense stats. Or track how many times the opponent missed an attack on the player, then increase the speed stat for the player pokemon.

I think it would work out as a neat way for training, add something new to the overall gameplay, and could be expanded on depending what variables you chose to track.

What do you think?

Years
@Blazers & Lance: Thanks for the comments. I promise to take both your opinions to heart on this matter, as I do also for every member of this glorious community here which we all hold dear. Your voices have been heard, and shall never be silenced. (Bit OTT but I just wanted to try and sound like a politician :P)

Thanks for the nice comment about Protectors.
I want to point out that it was not my reaction "oh this guy is coping me" (since my games has no levels either ha) but in fact I was like "is this an Rm2k3 thing"- since I am aware of the limits it has and sometimes corners must be cut but can be cut with a style.

I knew you weren't pointing a finger or anything, but I still wanted to state that I wasn't purposely copying anything, cause you never know, there might be a few more similar features/styles/etc down the road. After all, it appears we have good taste, and great minds think alike too. :P

As for the stat thing, I have the same issue. It's confusing to do something like it, but I feel you need to add something to show progression.
Stats, and levels, are a huge part of the Gamefreak games and if they were gone, Pokémon wouldn't be what it was. The ability to brag about how strong your team is and what not.
You have to add something to show to the player that their Pokémon is growing but still have the concept that you want to push at the same time.
I decided to only go with 4 stats- attack, speed, defense and health- and I think this game should go nearly in the same direction.

You raise a point that I hadn't really thought about until now, which is the Special Atk/Def stats. With the direction I'm heading in (anime-ish), would it make sense to include two different stats for atk/def? I've already done some coding in the battle system regarding them, but it could be easily removed. Something for me to think about at least.

Heres my idea.

Do something like- have a graph that has bars for each stat- or overall power. Then let's say after 5 battles, you work out how the player preformed with that pokemon and randomly increase each stat they done well on- so like, maybe if they took a lot of attacks- increase the health and defense stats. Or track how many times the opponent missed an attack on the player, then increase the speed stat for the player pokemon.

I think it would work out as a neat way for training, add something new to the overall gameplay, and could be expanded on depending what variables you chose to track.

What do you think?

I think I like the idea. :) I've already designed some graphics for the stats which feature Bars, instead of numbers (and graphics which feature numbers instead). And I had already thought of keeping track of certain things such as 'How many times the Player evades an attack', but I was only going to use them to unlock achievements (like Xbox games). I never thought of using those variables in relation to training though. Great idea. :D

Meanwhile, while I'm still deliberating on such things, I took a break from the battle system to work on something more revolutionary than the Pokegear. More astounding than the Poketch. *Drumroll*

The Laptop

Your Laptop includes...
  • Email
  • Map
  • Jukebox and
  • An On/Off Switch (:shocked:)
Those are the standard things, the others require more detail...

The Asphar Region Website
- Gives up to the minute news on all the minor and major events, all the latest gossip on the best and fastest growing Trainers, and even includes interviews with lots of famous people.

Live Updates - Allows you to check on those poor ill/injured Pokemon you've left in Pokecentres around the region, and also allows you to check the progress of Pokemon you may have left in Training Houses to complete certain tasks.

PokeSwitch - Allows you to switch a Pokemon between Party and PC on the move. Can only be used once however, and then will need recharging (instantaneous) at a PC.

I'll be posting some screenshots of this either a bit later tonight or tomorrow morning. (In my time zone anyways)

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
Years
just noticed this game the battle system looks so unique and amazing and the withdraw screen with squirtle looks well amazing so looking fowerd to this supporting all the way need any help at all? good luck on this.

thanks

~kian

Years
@Blazers: You're giving me a big head lol

@Kian: Thanks for the offer, but I'm good for now ta :)

Here's some screenshots...

Laptop1.png
Laptop2.png

The Bulbasaur will be whichever Pokemon you chose as your starter, and the hat-guy is you.

One of the first Key Items you recieve (from your mother) is a Camera. All this really does is add pictures for your Laptop background. Example: I visited Escova Cave for the first time... now if I turn on my laptop, with a simple press of a button I can cycle through the background pictures I've collected until I come across:

Laptop3.png

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Hahaha. I make a cameo. Nice. I'm sure I'll return the favor for my PokeCyber ha.
The design of it is really nice. I love the big icons- finally :P
The advantage to Rm2k3 over using the starter kit is that you have the freedom to do your own features more so then the others. IT clearly shows....

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2012
Wow! This game looks really amazing. It's so realistic. And I can't believe you can start with a non-starter Pokemon...I always disliked being stuck with only three. And the Fatigue thing is a really good idea. Well actually...everything is cool. XD I can't wait to see what'll come next.

Btw, if I were you, I would display the stats as either like the pentagon thingy from the contests or a diagram made of bars of color. Or something like that.

oldenmw

so i herd u liek mudkipz
Years
Im excited to see this game out there. i have always wanted a realistic pokemon game that was more like the anime. I cant wait to see what you are going to do with this. I also think you should put in more pokemon than just the origonals. I would like to see a very in-depth story line- most people have it the same with an evil team, you get a pokemon, beat the 8 gyms, get a legendary or 2, and beat the elite 4.
have fun making this

-oldenmw

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
This game looks great! I saw the post posted a bit back with the Squirtle withdraw animation. I can only image how much work its going to be to make all those animations. I am very impressed by the ambition I've seen in things like that.

Years
Thanks for the comments. :)

I have another question to ask...

The story is all already planned out, and is (hopefully) very in-depth and interesting. I was going to include lots of character development for the hero through speech, but I'm not sure.

Q. Would you prefer the hero not to speak, like in the games? Or would you like character development, witty dialogue and a more mature style of story-telling?

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
Years
i would like to be able speak and maybe have an option so u can understand your character and make the game EVEN more unique :)

thanks for showing the other screen looks great :)

~kian

Last edited:

Exiled~Shadow

Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow
Years
Moving on, I have a question to ask. Now, as you can already tell, I'm trying to make this game a bit more anime-ish, especially in the removal of Levels. But what about the stats?

Originally I was just going to use numbers, as per the usual Pokemon game. But I'm not sure anymore. In the anime, you wouldn't be able to put a number on how good your Charizard is at defending, would you? So maybe I should not include numbers?

Any Ideas?

Actually, in the anime Pokemon do have levels, try watching episode 9, season 1.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen May 10, 2021
Yeah I do remember ash having pikachu checked and the woman said he was lvl 80 something.
Correct me if i am wrong.

And i would prefer the hero not to speak

Exiled~Shadow

Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow
Years
Yeah I do remember ash having pikachu checked and the woman said he was lvl 80 something.
Correct me if i am wrong.

And i would prefer the hero not to speak

You must be thinking of a different episode to me :D in this one there at the trainer school and the kid keeps raving on about what moves pidgey learns at what levels and when it evolves.

Years
Thanks for pointing that out, I never realised there were references to levels in the anime.
It's not going to change the concepts for this game though, as even if there are levels in the anime then they're not visible anyways.

Liveupdate1.png

According to this screenshot, I've left my Bulbasaur and Metapod training in different dojos. (Different dojos = different stat bonuses). Looks like its going to take a while before Bulbasaur completes his Speed Training though, :tired:.
[The stronger the Pokemon in whichever stat you're training it, the longer it takes to complete it's workout)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 9, 2010
VERY nice =D I love the laptop system and the Pokémon selection screen.<3 I would however include the names of the Pokémon...

About the hero speaking or not... Well I think you can have better dialogues if you let the hero reply...

Back