• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What are some underrated gen 3 Pokemon?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Which pokemon of gen 3 do you think get overlooked/ignored?

For example, I use Slaking almost every time I play Emerald, but it gets ignored because of truant. I found it doesn't even matter because it can defeat things with one hit anyways, and if you play on shift you can switch before the ability takes effect.

I'm playing Emerald again and I'd like to make a unique team.

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I like Manetric and it seems like an underrated Pokemon to me. Manetric has been helpful to me in the gen 3 game and it even gets a mega evolution. Reason why it looks underrated is because I've never seen anyone talk about Manetric.

Years
Manectric isn't underrated. Players use it all the time, and I'd guess that no one talks about it because it plays very one-dimensionally. T-bolt what you can kill, switch out of what you can't.

You can easily make a unique team if you exclude heavily overused Pokemon like Aggron, Swellow, and Gardevoir. ofc some Pokemon are overlooked because they are genuinely bad (Nosepass, Delcatty, Spinda, Magcargo) but I'd say Solrock, Muk, and Golduck are reasonably good choices for an offbeat team if you want to break the mold.

Charm is an underrated move, by the way. I had great success with a Charm/Toxic/Moonlight/Light Screen Illumise.

S-MAN

Banned
Years
Which pokemon of gen 3 do you think get overlooked/ignored?

For example, I use Slaking almost every time I play Emerald, but it gets ignored because of truant. I found it doesn't even matter because it can defeat things with one hit anyways, and if you play on shift you can switch before the ability takes effect.

I'm playing Emerald again and I'd like to make a unique team.

That only works for story play. Competitively you aren't allowed (I believe) to shift. That would be a never ending switch in and switch out scenario if players were allowed to play that way. So it depends in which context (competitive/whatever).

Dunsparce:t206: I think is underrated because it has serene grace and you can combine this with rock slide, body slam, ... I don't remember the rest.. this video captures it perfectly titled "Dunspace Destruction" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Slxj0Likc It was hilarious.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I personally think Mawile is quite underrated. I feel like no one ever uses it. I think it often gets overshadowed by Sableye. I've used it many times and it really isn't that bad of a pokemon!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I personally think Mawile is quite underrated. I feel like no one ever uses it. I think it often gets overshadowed by Sableye. I've used it many times and it really isn't that bad of a pokemon!
I like Mawile a lot too - I think it's mostly Pokémon GO that has made me feel this way but I think Mawile is definitely worth using in-game for the niche STAB it brings (given there are very few Steel-types in Gen 3 you can really use). I agree that she's very underrated.

Last edited:

Exothermic

Keeper of the Hammer
Years
I've personally always liked Aggron even though he had 4x weakness. ;-;

Rotom and its various forms have also been underrated except in competitive play.

AetherBoyMicha

Aether Employee
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 5, 2023
I think Shiftry is somewhat underrated. Or everyone forgets about it. I used it in my first runthrough of Omega Ruby and had a lot of fun. It doesn't look super awesome at first glance but it quickly grew on me when I decided to use it.

Years
Gonna weigh in on behalf of Spoink and Gulpin here! Gulpin I used once, and once they evolved into Swalot, they became quite tanky and pretty hard-hitting with Sludge, too!

As for Spoink, it and Grumpig are just cute Pokémon and solid Psychic-types that I don't see anyone use or even really talk about!

blue

gucci
Years
Grumpig is definitely the one that comes to mind when talking about underrated Pokémon. It does have decent stats and for gen 3 it has a good move learnset and can also learn plenty of good TMs.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Zangoose and Banette

Zangoose is fast and strong and immune to poison, and it looks cool too

Banette is strong but slow, immune to two types and looks cool as well.

I've grown to like those two, even with a mega, Banette is pretty underrated

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'd say Breloom. Not sure if it's really underrated buuuutttt it's cool and really useful early on (and even later tbh). I don't see many people talk about it so I'm assuming it's underrated buuut if it isn't then hm yep Swalot is definitely really fun to play through with! Been aaages since I used it though.

Years
Masquerain. I always mistake it for Mothim. But I blame that Surskit can be obtained really hardly for this. I also sometimes forget that Chimecho is in this gen.

I never get to use them, but now that I looked at Chimecho I want to use one.

Years
Masquerain is a super cool Pokemon imo, I've only ever used it in ORAS but had a lot of fun playing through the game with one. Other than that there's a few that have already been mentioned, but I'd say Claydol maybe? Not sure how many people use it but it's a pretty strong, good Pokemon to use.

Back