• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Adding New Moves to Gen 3

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013
i think in this script it also need something to do when the opponent use "protect"

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
In FR, the battle script pointer table is at 0x1D6926. If you want to add a new move effect, you'll need to repoint one of the pointers there to your new battle script, and make sure your new moves are using that effect. There are a number of "holes" in the table, such as at #12 (which would be, going by the pattern, an effect that gives +1 to the user's speed), but if you use those the AI probably won't interpret them correctly (or at all).

Also, thank you very much for that very helpful post Jambo. I wouldn't have been able to find the table at all without your attack script.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
In FR, the battle script pointer table is at 0x1D6926. If you want to add a new move effect, you'll need to repoint one of the pointers there to your new battle script, and make sure your new moves are using that effect. There are a number of "holes" in the table, such as at #12 (which would be, going by the pattern, an effect that gives +1 to the user's speed), but if you use those the AI probably won't interpret them correctly (or at all).

Also, thank you very much for that very helpful post Jambo. I wouldn't have been able to find the table at all without your attack script.

But is it possible to expand the battle script pointer table as well? For instance, it only goes up to 213 right now, surely it can go to 255?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
i think in this script it also need something to do when the opponent use "protect"

No, we don't. It's all handled by the damage part of the script. Quite clever, isn't it?

You're welcome, although the pointer you posted isn't the pointer table to the battle scripts, it's the actual basic damage script itself, lol!

I actually gave the location in my post, so use that instead. The great thing is that all text and delays and such are ALL handled by the script, so it makes adding new attacks much easier! :)

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Haha, this is amazing.

It's like playing legos with attacks.

Yes, it rather is. Nice analogy.

But is it possible to expand the battle script pointer table as well? For instance, it only goes up to 213 right now, surely it can go to 255?

I just updated the OP now. Yeah, it can support up to 255 effects without a rewrite.

droomph

weeb
Years
Where's a compilation of your findings? Just asking.

But anyways, if I'm not mistaken, there's a lot of differences between the games, right?
Spoiler:
I'm sorry if I'm so stupid sometimes.

Many apologies, I'm only 15.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Where's a compilation of your findings? Just asking.

But anyways, if I'm not mistaken, there's a lot of differences between the games, right?
Spoiler:
I'm sorry if I'm so stupid sometimes.

Many apologies, I'm only 15.

No. The thing you quoted is an ANIMATION SCRIPT, while the thing I posted about is a BATTLE SCRIPT. One is used to execute the animation played when you use the move, while the other is used to actually execute the move and all its effects. Hope that helps.

I somewhat suspect that the battle scripts and animations scripts will be identical (offsets aside, of course) between RSE and FRLG. I could be wrong, though.

I don't really have a compilation of findings - I simply posted how you can go about creating any combination of effects by showing an example. Obviously, you can simply swap in different effects from the ones I showed (or add extra ones). Earlier in this thread, ChaosRush posted a very useful list of effect ID numbers and what they actually do, which I used to find the effects I needed.

droomph

weeb
Years
Yeah, it seemed too good to be true anyways.

Thanks! Yeah, it was kinda weird.

Although, when I ran something from one of the posts before, it called the animation script, e.g. it actually ran (the commands I just mentioned) for the move. I don't really know...

Never mind. I was reading something wrong.

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Yeah, the Battle Scripts call the Animation Scripts as part of their procedure. It's not all that weird, really.

redriders180

Years
OK, I'm either crazy, or just not seeing it...there aren't any existing effect bytes that lower the users stats? That seems crazy...surely there was one move out of the 354 introduced that would lower the users something >.>

If I can't lower my own stats, It seems like alot of Gen IV and Gen V moves are undoable!

Edit: I'm trying to reproduce Hammer Arm, so it needs to do damage as well...It's this "lowering stats" bit that's making me hit a road block.

droomph

weeb
Years
OK, I'm either crazy, or just not seeing it...there aren't any existing effect bytes that lower the users stats? That seems crazy...surely there was one move out of the 354 introduced that would lower the users something >.>

If I can't lower my own stats, It seems like alot of Gen IV and Gen V moves are undoable!

Edit: I'm trying to reproduce Hammer Arm, so it needs to do damage as well...It's this "lowering stats" bit that's making me hit a road block.
I believe Overheat lowers your Sp. Atk. by two levels, you could probably look over on that.

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013
2E 85 3E 02 02 E6 15
about the "E6"
i think the highest bit means whether the effect depends on the effect accuracy
1 means the effect always occurs,
0 means the effect only has x%(effect accuracy) chance to occur.

so "E6" always causes recoil , while "66" dpends on the effect accuracy

Rasen

ASM is very cool!
Years
Is it possible to make new command for battle script? For example attack and lowering user's defense and special defense by one stage (like close combat)

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
2E 85 3E 02 02 E6 15
about the "E6"
i think the highest bit means whether the effect depends on the effect accuracy
1 means the effect always occurs,
0 means the effect only has x%(effect accuracy) chance to occur.

so "E6" always causes recoil , while "66" dpends on the effect accuracy

Hmm, that could be a really good shout. The game definitely does check this highest bit on reading it to execute effects.

Is it possible to make new command for battle script? For example attack and lowering user's defense and special defense by one stage (like close combat)

It's possible, but pointless. I explicitly explained how to use existing commands in a combination to produce effects like close combat. For creating NEW effects, I wrote a "callasm" command.

redriders180

Years
Hmm, that could be a really good shout. The game definitely does check this highest bit on reading it to execute effects.

It's possible, but pointless. I explicitly explained how to use existing commands in a combination to produce effects like close combat. For creating NEW effects, I wrote a "callasm" command.

I tried to make a close combat that works, but it kept freezing up after the animation for the defense drop. I guess it's just bad programming...but I have a small annoyance. I wrote the following script for Hammer Arm:

Spoiler:

And while the speed drop does occur, it doesn't say so. How do I make it say that _____s speed dropped?

I know this seems like its turning into a question thread, but can someone maybe explain how to make multiple stats drop without freezing up?

droomph

weeb
Years
I tried to make a close combat that works, but it kept freezing up after the animation for the defense drop. I guess it's just bad programming...but I have a small annoyance. I wrote the following script for Hammer Arm:

Spoiler:

And while the speed drop does occur, it doesn't say so. How do I make it say that _____s speed dropped?

I know this seems like its turning into a question thread, but can someone maybe explain how to make multiple stats drop without freezing up?
Hm...Have you tried looking into the script for AincentPower? Although that raises your stats, not decrease it, I think it could be the same process for the opposite...

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013
For creating NEW effects, I wrote a "callasm" command.
Could you share your code? and i'm curious what effects you did?

2E 85 3E 02 02 E6 15
also about "E6"
the second bit means the objective of the effect
0 : opponent
1 : user

the else 6 bits means what effect it does
01: sleep
02: poison
03: burn
04: freeze
05: paralyze
06: badly poison