• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
I have no desire to see Brave, I don't imagine I'll be seeing it unless my sister guilt trips me with incessant whining and complaining and forces me to see it, which I really don't want to do. The characters don't interest me, what I know of the plot doesn't interest me and at this point in time, I'd much rather go see Prometheus or something, something that actually interests me. Sorry, Pixar! I love you!

Years
Yes, it was La Luna. Definitely one of the best shorts I've seen by them.

What about Brave doesn't interest anyone? I mean, I know we've had a lot of archers in movies lately with Hunger Games and Avengers, but you shouldn't let that keep you from liking Brave.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
It's nothing to do with the prominence of archers in films as of late, it's that nothing about the film piques my interest. Ooooh, you're a big brave Scottish girl on a mission. So not interested.

Years
I must say, as much as I was looking forward to seeing Brave, there was that part of me that wondered if they could make a good movie with a female lead. Sometimes even really good, creative people fail at that and it comes off as inauthentic or forced. I can definitely see how it could be a turn off if it looks like "ooh brave girl doing brave stuff" - a swap of a male character for a female one - but that's not the case in this movie. I think it helps that it was written by a woman, and directed, too, if I'm not mistaken.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I think potential for female leads is better in television shows than movies. I'm not sure why that is - perhaps because there's more time to develop the characters? - but there are a lot of female-led TV shows out there that I consider fantastic.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
I think potential for female leads is better in television shows than movies. I'm not sure why that is - perhaps because there's more time to develop the characters? - but there are a lot of female-led TV shows out there that I consider fantastic.

I suppose this is the part where we talk about Desperate Housewives for hours as per usual?

Years
I would have bet money that you'd have brought up Buffy. That's like the example that always comes up when you talk about female leads.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
With regards to Brave, I was initially really excited to see it - as well as to see how Pixar would deal with a female protagonist and a female director. But then I heard the news a year or so ago that Brenda Chapman had been fired from the film, and that set alarm bells ringing in my head; then I saw the trailer and really wasn't impressed with it at all; then the reviews came out to a general 'it's OK but not great' consensus. The good thing about the reviews is that at least they stressed that the film is very little like its trailer, which really put me off. I imagine I will end up seeing it eventually - considering it hasn't come out in the UK as of yet, I've got plenty of time to make up my mind.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I find Brave to be the least alluring of all the Pixar movies thus far from what I've seen in commecials and trailers, all others past caught my attention with their trailers and commercials but this one. Though perhaps I shouldn't judge something by it's cover...

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2012
I think that the media industry needs a lot more female protagonists. The more the better. Most media doesn't even pass the so called Bechdel test. Far less do we have female protagonists. And even fewer really good ones.

I'm not worried about guys writing female protagonists unless they very clearly don't know what the heck they're doing and are just using it as an excuse to constantly sexualize a woman. I don't see how writing a woman just like a man is always necessarily a bad thing. Issues which are unique to women aren't always necessary to go into. Earthbound wouldn't have been that different if Ness just happened to be a girl.

I'd much rather people try more and make some mistakes, than not try harder to make female presence in the media in general.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'm not a massive fan of the Bechdel test... at least if you look at it on a micro-level. There are plenty of 'feminist' films that nevertheless fail the Bechdel test (most recently, Haywire features a kick-ass, independent female protagonist but fails the test on a technicality) and plenty of films that are nevertheless degrading to women that pass the test (The Darkest Hour being another recent example). It's good for looking at big trends in films, but I'm not a fan of applying it to every single film that comes out. This article sort of sums my feelings up quite succinctly.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
My two favourite parts of Scarf's flow chart:

Does she get pregnant? -> Yes -> Is she a teenager? -> Yes -> Does she get an abortion? -> Ha ha of course she doesn't -> HAPPY SINGLE TEENAGE MOM.

and

Does she die before the final act? -> Yes -> MICHELLE RODRIGUEZ.

The person who wrote this is hilarious lmao

Years
Of course the Bechdel test is more of a commentary on movies in general than a specific reason a movie is good or bad. Like your link stated:

As with most instances of gender inequality, the significance of the Bechdel test is only revealed in macrocosm. That 63% of contemporary movies fail isn't necessarily shocking, until you consider that a reverse-Bechdel test would almost certainly yield a figure closer to 5%.

Except I do think it's at least a little shocking that 63% of movies fail it.

My two favourite parts of Scarf's flow chart:

Does she get pregnant? -> Yes -> Is she a teenager? -> Yes -> Does she get an abortion? -> Ha ha of course she doesn't -> HAPPY SINGLE TEENAGE MOM.
That's my favorite part, too. I love me a good flowchart.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Funi picked up Michiko To Hatchin, Just thought I'd share the news. They also picked up some other series but they weren't worth the light of day.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Funi picked up Michiko To Hatchin, Just thought I'd share the news. They also picked up some other series but they weren't worth the light of day.

Oh thats really cool! I've been thinking of watching that lately and now I think I might just wait for the dub to come out. I have heard good things about it so definitely interested in this news!

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
Here it is! The new season! Throwing down opinions. Haven't really watched any subs yet since i'm lazy right now.

Muvluv Alternative: Total Eclipse - Mostly watching cuz of the muvluv title and since i know backstory for it. Haven't actually finished it yet though >< This is a side-story so it shouldn't be too bad though. Also opens up possibilities for the actual Muvluv series to be animated. The CG/Animation balance isn't too bad either. Biggest issue I'm seeing is them not explaining fully why they have certain tactics against the BETA and such.

Tari Tari - It's a music show so I at least plan on watching it. The Reflectia chorus at the beginning definitely caught my attention too. It being an original story, having males as part of the main cast, and P.A. Works doing it is hopefully a good sign as far as that goes too. Also Austrailian guy being a Sentai fan ups the like meter for me XD This show definitely has potential and hope it does well in delivering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back