• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokémon: Legends of the Arena

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
I couldn't agree more. While the sprites may seem recycled and all, this is actually one of this game's best USP(unique selling point) and it shows how much creativity you have. I personally don't mind you using the normal trainer sprites because the personality that you give to all these trainers here itself makes me think that they are one of a kind, and that they are their own person. And the ironic thing is that their personalities completely suite their appearances and I must say, kudos to you for pulling it off. So if I were to give my honest opinion, it would be to just keep on doing what you're doing because the graphics itself are more than good enough to be considered well polished, the story itself looks as if it's well thought through, and finally the characters themselves are so unique in their own ways, to the point where you forget about the fact that they are just normal trainers in most Pokemon games, which itself is something to be proud of ya know? At first, when I looked at your game, I was surprised about your actions about using normal trainer sprites for the main characters instead of making your own sprites. But when I played the game and got to know about their respective characters, I couldn't care less about the fact that these are actually considered as normal trainers as their personalities itself makes me believe that they are their own man/woman. So in closing, I would like to say that while at first, it may seem that recycling the normal trainer sprites makes other new viewers surprised and makes them wonder if you are as lazy as Jagold( :P), after they actually play the game themselves, none of that really matters because their personalities and the story itself renders the initial impression useless. So WackyTurtle, just keep on doing what you're doing my man, because this game actually has the potential to be one of the best Pokemon games ever made for the RPG Game Maker XP! Sorry for long post btw.. Just wanted to share my thoughts about your game to you and the other viewers here!

Thanks dude, that really does mean a lot. One of the real flaws of the Pokémon games is that there's very little characterisation, both in your (silent) protagonist and the people around you, who are just there to drive the story forward. So part of my design philosophy was to create real characters who weren't simply defined by how they looked but how they talked, acted etc. In both the sequences of the game I'm developing now and everything else I have carefully planned out, I hope to develop this further. You'll see much more development with Max, Laura, Bryce et al, so if you stick around you should (hopefully) be rewarded! And once again, thank you for your kind words.

Years
Thanks dude, that really does mean a lot. One of the real flaws of the Pokémon games is that there's very little characterisation, both in your (silent) protagonist and the people around you, who are just there to drive the story forward. So part of my design philosophy was to create real characters who weren't simply defined by how they looked but how they talked, acted etc. In both the sequences of the game I'm developing now and everything else I have carefully planned out, I hope to develop this further. You'll see much more development with Max, Laura, Bryce et al, so if you stick around you should (hopefully) be rewarded! And once again, thank you for your kind words.
Well my man, the thing is that you earned it! It's really hard to find a good Pokemon game with a great concept these days. I mean, this game has every potential to be one of the greatest along with Dark Violet, Dark Energy, Dark Rising and The Ruby Destiny Series(know they are hacks but still :P ), but yes in the end, it all comes down to whether you can carry that momentum, which I believe you can. Just remember to not take my compliments to make yourself think about improving the story because that my friend is not needed, judging by the way you're going right now! And believe me, I'm not going anywhere. I will stick around and see where this game goes because it's just that good. My only request is that you don't stop developing the game, because again, it has every potential to be one of the greatest Pokemon games to be ever made in the RPG Game Maker XP! The concept is there, the story is there, but in the end, it all comes down to delivery, which is your will to carry on developing the game. So I personally hope that you don't stop developing the game and keep that will of yours as strong as it is, because in the end, it's gonna get you really far ;)

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2022
First off, I must say that I love the game!
However, regarding the treasure map, I collected the pieces... but I'm confused as to where the treasure is supposed to be. Has it been programmed in yet? Might I also suggest an option to be able to view the whole map again once you've collected all the pieces?

Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
Loved the game! And it seems it's been six months now... But either way, I have some questions since playing this has been a long time ago.

1. Any 5th gen Pokemon, cause I've seen 5th Gen moves. I haven't seen much, I want a Mandibuzz for the team or something.

2. Are you going to have things like Electivire possible?

Wonder how far you've made the game...
...I'm having two slots empty on the team and I want to get a electric type and a flying... Especially a physical variant.

Last edited:

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
Loved the game! And it seems it's been six months now... But either way, I have some questions since playing this has been a long time ago.

1. Any 5th gen Pokemon, cause I've seen 5th Gen moves. I haven't seen much, I want a Mandibuzz for the team or something.

2. Are you going to have things like Electivire possible?

Wonder how far you've made the game...
...I'm having two slots empty on the team and I want to get a electric type and a flying... Especially a physical variant.

Hi feldspir, glad you liked the game.

In answer to your questions, I have no current plans to include 5th Gen Pokémon, mostly because I don't like the weird backsprites. And yes, Electrivire and other Pokémon which require trading will be available, either through levelling up normally or using their evolutionary item (like the Electrizer) on them like a stone.

I know it's been a while since the last update but I am making progress! I will probably coincide the next update with the next release of Essentials, since the current version has a lot of strange bugs.

Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
Alright then, thanks for the reply. I've forgotten but has there been any available Elekids or Dratinis in the game yet?

Either way, keep up with the good work!

Chimchar

THE Chimchar Tamer
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 11, 2017
I love this game! I played upnuntil you got to the one guys mansion who gives you a starter. I decided I would wait because otherwise I would have been tearing my hair out waiting for the next release. I am also a fan of the normal trainers playing a bigger role. You do have to sometime wonder what it would be like to be one of them.

Well, Infernal Desires out.

MontyBellum

Sarleeko
Years
I'm really enjoying this game so far! Especially gotta love the sarcasm! And the music leaves me dancing at my computer.

My team at the end of the demo was:
Ludicolo lvl 43
Typhlosion lvl 42
Jolteon lvl 43
Quagsire lvl 44
Beautifly lvl 45
Omanyte lvl 39

I felt unique until I saw someone was using almost the exact same team. I do feel like the difficulty level is right on track.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this glitch or not but twice my Pokemon did not get any experience when a Pokemon fainted. Both times have been in the 3rd round. Once when I defeated Gabby's Hoothoot and again when I defeated Max's Feebas. Is this a typical glitch with the program?

And I must have missed someone because I never started the Treasure map side quest, the only side quest I can remember is the shipment one. Where does that one start?

Also it seems like repels and pure incense have little effect.

Last edited:

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
I'm really enjoying this game so far! Especially gotta love the sarcasm! And the music leaves me dancing at my computer.

My team at the end of the demo was:
Ludicolo lvl 43
Typhlosion lvl 42
Jolteon lvl 43
Quagsire lvl 44
Beautifly lvl 45
Omanyte lvl 39

I felt unique until I saw someone was using almost the exact same team. I do feel like the difficulty level is right on track.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this glitch or not but twice my Pokemon did not get any experience when a Pokemon fainted. Both times have been in the 3rd round. Once when I defeated Gabby's Hoothoot and again when I defeated Max's Feebas. Is this a typical glitch with the program?

And I must have missed someone because I never started the Treasure map side quest, the only side quest I can remember is the shipment one. Where does that one start?

Also it seems like repels and pure incense have little effect.

There's a box at the westernmost point of Route 05 which starts the Treasure Map sidequest. And I'm not sure what's causing that glitch - maybe they give too little experience? I'll look into it.

MontyBellum

Sarleeko
Years
There's a box at the westernmost point of Route 05 which starts the Treasure Map sidequest. And I'm not sure what's causing that glitch - maybe they give too little experience? I'll look into it.

I battled that round again and got experience from them so I know it is not a constant thing.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
My only complaint so far is that traditional early game pokemon aren't available at the start. I applaud allowing Pichu and Munchlax being obtainable after the first tournament, but it would have helped to have Caterpie, Weedle, and Wurmple on Route 1 and the Route 1 forest, especially since just catching Beedrill, Butterfree, and Beautifly is annoying at the start of a game due to the catch rate being low. The low catch rate along with regular pokeballs don't go together well. At least offer great balls or net balls in one of the PokeChests to make up for that.

Speaking of which after you beat the rival, why is there an interactable Staravia? With Starly among the pokemon one can catch it seems kinda pointless to have Staravia appear like that in a way for one to capture it, even if it does come in handy in the tournament. Might work better with Scyther or Pinsir as they pack the same power at level 15 as a Staravia and they don't take the spot of a pokemon one is capable of finding normally anyway.

Finally after you battle the rival the first time and start catching pokemon it might help to have other trainers appear in the forest or on Route 1 because I basically had to lose several times in my first tournament just to level up my Ralts and Buizle, and as long as we're gonna have Ralts as an early game pokemon it'd be nice to lose Teleport since that crap has worn out it's welcome since the original red and blue.

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
My only complaint so far is that traditional early game pokemon aren't available at the start. I applaud allowing Pichu and Munchlax being obtainable after the first tournament, but it would have helped to have Caterpie, Weedle, and Wurmple on Route 1 and the Route 1 forest, especially since just catching Beedrill, Butterfree, and Beautifly is annoying at the start of a game due to the catch rate being low. The low catch rate along with regular pokeballs don't go together well. At least offer great balls or net balls in one of the PokeChests to make up for that.

Speaking of which after you beat the rival, why is there an interactable Staravia? With Starly among the pokemon one can catch it seems kinda pointless to have Staravia appear like that in a way for one to capture it, even if it does come in handy in the tournament. Might work better with Scyther or Pinsir as they pack the same power at level 15 as a Staravia and they don't take the spot of a pokemon one is capable of finding normally anyway.

Finally after you battle the rival the first time and start catching pokemon it might help to have other trainers appear in the forest or on Route 1 because I basically had to lose several times in my first tournament just to level up my Ralts and Buizle, and as long as we're gonna have Ralts as an early game pokemon it'd be nice to lose Teleport since that crap has worn out it's welcome since the original red and blue.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I've actually removed the Staravia from the next update for precisely the reason you stated. I'll probably lower the catch rate of the flying bugs too - my logic was that Pokémon like Caterpie and Weedle are boring when it comes to levelling up, and their evolutions give more experience. Also I'll probably change the moveset of Ralts, I forgot that it only knows teleport.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Ralts doesn't only know teleport but it learns it at level 12 or so. Abra is the only one that learns only teleport. But good to know Ralts is set to change up some.

And I can understand your reasonings for leaving out Caterpie and the other larva pokemon, but they are rather important as early game pokemon in any pokemon game. And with the levels set at the beginning of the game it's actually rather easy to level up a pokemon that low a level so I'll be waiting to see what you have in mind either way.

One final thing, is thre a plan to make TMs reusable? Because I found the hidden power TM but I have several pokemon who would be worthwhile HP users. Last night in fact I got a Pichu with a modest nature and a strong special attack IV. However my main issue is most fangame makers don't make Hidden Power with a fixed base power like X/Y did, so Hidden Power ends up being pointless to me either way in this instance.

Also on the matter of hidden power I did a test the other day and after finding out my Calm Espion had HP Fighting through an IV calculator, I battled a rival trainer's pikachu and hidden power wound up having little effect as if it were a steel or electric attack instead. If Hidden Power is gonna be found so early in the game it'd help to have a hidden power checker at the start of the game to help out there, especially since Ralts, Pikachu, Butterfree, Beautifly, and almost every Eevee evolution (except Leafeon) practically require a good hidden power move in a moveset.

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
The latest version of Legends of the Arena is almost ready to go! However, I haven't had a chance to properly test it for bugs - I've had to downgrade to Essentials v11 because the latest version wasn't working properly. So if anyone wants to beta test the latest version then either PM me or post in this thread. If no-one's interested then I'll release to the world some time next week.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I can wait for the release, the way this game is set would take me too long to do any sort of testing as I'll be too busy exploring

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
The latest demo is now available!

Chapter Five, Parts One & Two

3SvDZQJ.png

Big shout-out to Uzigunner to helping me test it. As always, post any bugs you find here or on the wiki page.

DOWNLOAD LINK

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
Damn bro, this game is looking REALLY good. I am intrigued by the Character's and the fact that they seem to get a lot of development (I wouldn't know for sure since I haven't played the demo yet, but I'm going to download it now). I think there is no problem with using old recycled sprites, especially since you did more with them than the general person would. And like you said, you could always get newer sprites later on.

I think you should at least get a few custom sprites for the Main Characters, though. Using the Diamond/Pearl Hero doesn't feel too unique, I feel if you replaced that sprite and maybe the Diamond/Pearl Rival sprite that it would give your characters have enough customization, but that is just me personally. It is your game and in the end, you should do what you want to do.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 28, 2022
Another Great Game And another Great Chapter now another long 6-8 mouths for more epicness i cry eveytime i see it say end of Demo

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
YAY NEW UPDATE! Been waiting for this, eager to see the new changes to this version.

Back