• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2015
I decided to start Sapphire along with this run. And sorry if this is a noob question but can I trade version exclusives in?
Pokemon Heartgold Mono-Water update #4 & 5
After I beat Whitney I watered the "tree" and got across to Ecruteak City and got the HM for Surf and taught it to every one of my pokemon. After that I went to the Union cave only to realize that I couldn't surf yet. -_- Then I backtracked to Ecruteak, and went to the Brass tower and I beat my rival by getting Very lucky with Julie Quagsire the quick claw made her strike first and freeze Meganium with Ice Beam , and then I beat Morty and he was pretty easy even with a Slowking which had the disadvantage.
So then I got the ability to surf in the overworld, and caught my last two members. I caught Nessie the Lapras on Friday in the Union cave, and then I caught Polibo the Poliwhirl which I evolved immediately into Politoed. After that I went to Olivine city and did all of that secret potion lighthouse Ampharos stuff and fought Chuck who was prettyhard with his Focus punch which almost OHKO everything with Hypnosis too. eventually I beat it by spamming body slam on Polibo (Politoed vs Poliwrath! Awesome!)
And then I set up a Rain to power up water attacks and One shotted Primeape with surf.

DKgopackgo

Sub on YT! DKgopackgaming! :)
Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2013
Update on Water Monotype:
Crystal: 10/16
Sapphire: 2/8

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I also would like to do a Dragon ULT. and a Normal ULT. Here are my applications:

Spoiler:

After just starting a dragon ultimate, I realized that only Dratini - Dragonite are Dragons in Gen 1, so I'm going to do a single Dragon type! Haha it's going to be for Emerald.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Ultimate Monotype Fightning Done
Finished Black2

Spoiler:

FINAL TEAM
Spoiler:

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
Got playing Crystal and finished it rather quickly, final results:

Ultimate Fire-Mono Challenge: Crystal

- Scaled Mt.Silver and defeated Red
wX9ZYod.png

- Final Team:
7JR5iyL.png
h061yyJ.png
ZNA7aff.png

9po5Sot.png
bJ5PuW1.png
I5VbYaz.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, on to Sapphire!

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
Years
Question: So I found a Shiny Pidgey today in the wild right next to new bark town right when I started a new game, it's level 3. So I'f down the line I wanted to do a Flying monotype challenge would I be able to trade that pidgey in and use it? I know there is a no trading rule but i'm not sure if it still stands for this situation because it would literally not make the game easier at all because pidgey is the first pokemon you can run into and thats even where I caught it at level 3 no egg moves or EV's at all so it's just a cosmetic change.

Also for version exclusive trade-ins is there a specific time we are supposed to do them? for example mantyke is a gold exclusive at what point would I be able to trade in a low level one?

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Question: So I found a Shiny Pidgey today in the wild right next to new bark town right when I started a new game, it's level 3. So I'f down the line I wanted to do a Flying monotype challenge would I be able to trade that pidgey in and use it? I know there is a no trading rule but i'm not sure if it still stands for this situation because it would literally not make the game easier at all because pidgey is the first pokemon you can run into and thats even where I caught it at level 3 no egg moves or EV's at all so it's just a cosmetic change.

Also for version exclusive trade-ins is there a specific time we are supposed to do them? for example mantyke is a gold exclusive at what point would I be able to trade in a low level one?
The Pidgey would get an experience boost, which is a clear advantage over catching them in game. Sorry, it may seem strict, but shiny or no you can't trade it in.

You can do that trade in at any time you see fit, as long as the Pokemon does not exceed the level of the lowest leveled Pokemon already in your party.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Alright, so a couple days ago, I decided that for my next challenge I'll do Kanto in my Bug UMC. I'm going with Pokémon Blue this time for the nostalgia, and because it's been a very long time since I've played through the old games. Here goes.

Type: Bug
Game: Blue
Badges: 4

Started with Charmander for no real reason whatsoever. Quickly picked up a Weedle and a Caterpie in Viridian Forest and grinded until Butterfree learned Confusion, and then Brock turned out to be a complete pushover. Going through Mt. Moon, we caught our third team member, Paras! Parasect later proved incredibly useful against Misty. Stun Spore, then spam Scratch for Staryu, Leech Life for Starmie. Lt. Surge, as I recall, was more or less a complete sweep, too. At least after teaching Parasect Dig. Erika was a joke, too.

Anyway, I just thwarted Team Rocket's plans at Silph Co., and I'm planning to take on Sabrina now, before I'm off to Fuschia City, where I'm hoping to catch a Pinsir!

Here's my team so far:

Spoiler:

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
DOOD I DID IT. I FINALLY DID IT. I BEAT RED.

Okay, here was the problem. 4 of Red's team were really strong against my entire team (I no haz Steelix, shush). I had to figure out some way to get past Venusaur, Blastoise, Lapras, and Snorlax. Venusaur and Lapras alone could sweep my team. So it was train, train, train... /sigh.

Had to use Sandstorm to get rid of the 100% Blizzard. Had to use Explosion, TWICE, to kill Venusaur and Lapras. Had to use Blastoise to Amnesia Quagsire to infinity and beyond. Despite being level 78, Charizard STILL outsped Mamoswine. Won with just a Marowak in the red. Uuuuugh that was hard.

Completion time: 38:20

Final team:
Spoiler:

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
Years
The Pidgey would get an experience boost, which is a clear advantage over catching them in game. Sorry, it may seem strict, but shiny or no you can't trade it in.

You can do that trade in at any time you see fit, as long as the Pokemon does not exceed the level of the lowest leveled Pokemon already in your party.

??? I never knew there was an experience boost for trade ins.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2013
Username: Sonago
Type: Fire
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): Fire-Red -> Silver -> Ruby -> Platinum -> White 2 -> Y (when it comes out)
Progress so far
Spoiler:

Years
Username: amerininja
Type: Electric
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): Black, Platinum, SoulSilver, Emerald, Fire Red, and lastly I will do Y when it comes out to!

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

ShinyHoundoom

Houndoom Fan
Years
I meant to post this sooner, but I am at 4 badges now in White 2. Elesa was a pain in the butt. The team is unchanged since the next fire type I can get is a little bit later.

Years
1st Update for my MonoElectric Ultimate Challenge

Black Version

Progress:

• Chose Oshawott as starter (Future HM slave)
  • Caught Level 2 Lillipup (for plot progression only)
  • Released him unused
  • Oshawott evolved into a Dewott
  • Defeated 1st Gym
  • Caught Level 10 Blitzle
  • Put Oshawott in Box 1
  • Defeated 2nd Gym only after many tries and over an hour training
  • Blitzle evolved in order to defeat a team plasma grunt it was a Sandile so it didn't want to lose
  • Defeated 3rd Gym pretty easily up until Leavanny whom made me blackout many times (3)
  • Defeated 4th Gym and it was more or less a sweep as I knew Stomp
And that's all for now.

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
Quick question, is Dual-Slot allowed for D/P/Pt? I wanted to use an Arcanine so I was just wondering if it breaks any rules or not.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Quick question, is Dual-Slot allowed for D/P/Pt? I wanted to use an Arcanine so I was just wondering if it breaks any rules or not.

I'm pretty sure dual-slot Pokemon aren't available until after the Elite 4, so it would require hacking/trading to actually get the Pokemon (which is against the rules). So I would guess no, but I'd wait for NecrumWarrior to reply before continuing your challenge.

Years
Username: Lowstah
Type: Bug
Challenge: Single
Game(s): SoulSilver

Been wanting to do a monotype challenge for a very long time. Thought i'd try one my favourite types on my favourite game :)

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
I'm pretty sure dual-slot Pokemon aren't available until after the Elite 4, so it would require hacking/trading to actually get the Pokemon (which is against the rules). So I would guess no, but I'd wait for NecrumWarrior to reply before continuing your challenge.

Yah, I hadn't used the Dual Slot function in years and completely forgot you need the National Pokedex for it to even work, just forget I ever asked the question. XD

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
Dragon Run Update
I have defeated the elite four of Johto. Now to go to Kanto.
I modified the way Seadra evolves into Kingdra so that instead of evolving by trading with Dragon Scale, it will evolve by level-up.
Edit: I have defeated all 8 Kanto Gym Leaders and defeated Red
Final Team:
Spr_2g_149.png

Dragonite
Lv. 80
Spr_2g_230.png

Kingdra
Lv. 80

Last edited:
Years
Electric Monotype Ultimate Challenge update

I defeated the 5th gym with my Zebstrika. I caught a Tranquill so I could teach it Fly and use it as a HM slave. I caught a Joltik and a Tynamo inside of Chargestone Cave. I am currently searching for an Emolga and training my Pokémon before I challenge the 6th Gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back