• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

20 children, 6 Adults dead in Connecticut elementary school shooting

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
A. It was not clear (based on some research) whether he was full blown Autistic or had Asperger's. Both were included.

Asperger's and autism are the same thing. Asperger's a form of autism. Austism has a spectrum, Asperger's is just a high functioning form of autism. I should know. I have Asperger's.

And as an aspie this whole thing concerns me. Asperger's has been getting a lot of media attention lately as it is, and after this that media attention is not going to be good for the general Asperger's community at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Codin

I've been diagnosed with Asperger's since 10. I'm hoping not to get any scrutiny.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
A tragedy is a terrible thing to waste, huh? Every time that there's a shooting, gun-grabbing lefties try to use it as an excuse to erode the civil rights of Americans.

You want to talk about gun control? Is it just a coincidence that all of these shootings have happened in "Gun-Free Zones"? That fact just proves my point that when law-abiding citizens aren't armed because the law prohibits it, it just makes them easier targets for homicidal maniacs.

Yes, it is tragic and sad that people lose their lives that day. With no intent to the belittle the tragedy, I'm frustrated that there are children dying every day from war and poverty, but the liberal media only reports on the deaths that they think will stir-up a rallying cry for the anti-gun crowd.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
A tragedy is a terrible thing to waste, huh? Every time that there's a shooting, gun-grabbing lefties try to use it as an excuse to erode the civil rights of Americans.

You want to talk about gun control? Is it just a coincidence that all of these shootings have happened in "Gun-Free Zones"? That fact just proves my point that when law-abiding citizens aren't armed because the law prohibits it, it just makes them easier targets for homicidal maniacs.

Yes, it is tragic and sad that people lose their lives that day. With no intent to the belittle the tragedy, I'm frustrated that there are children dying every day from war and poverty, but the liberal media only reports on the deaths that they think will stir-up a rallying cry for the anti-gun crowd.
Uh-huh. Don't be so holier than thou. Because on the flip side, there's people on the "right" at the same time calling for more guns or blaming everything from video games to gay people. They're opportunistic too.

Also, its not the "liberal media". I was flicking through channels last night and came across the Canadian-equivalent of FOX. As much as I don't like the channel usually (despite leaning that way. I find the loud tabloid format annoying and obnoxious and I don't like the lack of fair representation from not just people on the left but from progressive conservatives too), I stayed on it and watched, because they weren't saying what probably a lot of people would have expected them to say. A lot of the sentiment I share below was also echoed there. They aren't the "liberal media". Like their American counterparts, they make a career badmouthing the liberal media. And yet, they had a different argument from what you'd expect. American conservatives are just... a different breed than say Canadian or U.K. conservatives.

Just about all of Canada is a gun-free zone. Yet we don't have this problem. Elsewhere too. There are shootings, by criminals, usually with other criminals, using illegal guns (you can own a gun here. Just... ordinary citizens just don't really bother) and the police handle it accordingly. You'll never be able to wipe out criminal activity. No amount of gun control does that. But what something like limiting the amount or kind of weapons you do have does is prevent situations like what happened - where a crazy person has easy access to a deadly weapon.

The mother was a gun person. She wasn't in a "gun-free zone". And assuming the gunman was fully armed at the time, she still had access to three weapons (some of which were also automatic weapons). Not to speak ill of the dead, but didn't she do a wonderful job at stopping him? More guns aren't the answer.

For the most part, a civilian only ever gets involved in this kind of thing when they are an off-duty cop. They have training and experience. They're not going to be operating in fear. Even then though, the police miss a lot. Like the Empire State Building shooting earlier this year. The cops hit a lot of civilians.

The gunman had a vest on anyway. Unless a teacher had amazing aim and speed in such an intense situation, he wasn't going down. And I'd rather the teacher focus on protecting the children like they did.

Also guns regularly in schools? Really? Because its beyond the realm of imagination that a student might get a hold of it or that a teacher may go postal one day?

There's an argument to made, perhaps, for armed security in schools (and elsewhere). But, even then... they get comfortable. Complacent. Months or years of no issues, and they'll be comfortable. Off their guard. Chatting with someone in the front office. Might be better. Might be placebo. I don't think it'd make a difference (not opposed to it though, just don't think it'd work. But by all means try. Better than doing nothing)

I recognize that guns are a part of American culture. They're your right. I don't accept the answer is simply more guns or no guns. That doesn't fly. Especially there. A compromise, I think, would be... you get one hand gun. No automatics or semi-automatics or anything else. And follow Finland's example, where if there's anything, the slightest hint of the potential for trouble in your house - the house loses its guns. So, if there's anyone with any kind of mental issue in the house, the guns are gone. Heck, here if you're applying for a gun here they ask you if you've been fired lately. While CT may have had stricter gun laws, they're still laxer than a lot of the world. Look what guns he (or his mother, rather) still had access to and the amount.

I agree on your last point though. Far more children die in Africa for a number of reasons on a daily basis. Don't really like that people don't seem to care about that. But, I guess they only do when it strikes closer to home?

Last edited:

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
The thing is, these children and teachers didn't expect to die. They weren't starving, they weren't in a war zone. They were in a scholl where they were meant to be safe. That's what makes this so sad. But yes, a lot of children are dieing as I type.

Years
Shootings don't just happen in gun-free zones. It just happens that gun-free zones tend to be public places like schools or malls or movie theatres. There are countless shootings and deaths in places where people can legally have guns, but because those shootings are limited to one or a few people at a time they don't get media coverage like mass shootings.

The sad thing is that everyone, everywhere, is an easy target for gun violence. I chalk this up to the high levels of gun ownership, relative lack of support for the mentally ill, and just a violent and confrontational society. (Obviously speaking about America here.)

The thing is, these children and teachers didn't expect to die. They weren't starving, they weren't in a war zone. They were in a scholl where they were meant to be safe. That's what makes this so sad. But yes, a lot of children are dieing as I type.
This is why it's shocking to us. We don't expect dozens of children to die in America. We know that children are dying every day across the world, from violence to hunger. That is tragic, but in a sense not surprising because of the conditions that they live in. We can argue about how morally right or wrong we are to accept that this happens, but it isn't the same thing to compare the violent deaths of children in a place they, by all rights, should be perfectly safe, to children who are dying from famine or something else. When you're somewhat expecting that harm can come to you you're on some level looking out for it, trying to avoid it.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Two more tragedys, thankfully prevented.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ate-s-head-parents-encouraged-protection.html

Parents urged their child to carry a lethal weapon, for his protection. First thing he does? Puts it to the head of another student, and theatens to kill her.

Thankfully, the weapon wasn't loaded at the time. And thankfully someone reported him before he decided to make true on his threat.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...s-Arrested-After-School-Threat-183701891.html

Man threatens to murder his wife and shoot up her place of work. Her place of work is a Elementary School.

Edit - The price of freedom is paid for with the blood of Patriots.

I suppose that conservative ideals consider, very young, children to be patriots. Rejoice Conservatives! The blood of children has paid for your freedom to own weapons of murder!

Tch. And people wonder why I dislike conservatives.

Last edited:

Zet

Years

Ah yes, I guess those recent pro-gun articles I read recently were just figments of my imagination. Everyone is doing these things for safety and the wrong reasons, don't go blaming one side when your side is also doing things for the wrong reasons.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Stricter gun laws would do absolutely nothing except render law-abiding citizens defenseless. You know what would have really helped prevent this? Training every single member of the faculty in the safe operation of a handgun and requiring them to carry at all times while on school property.

So many people seem to think banning guns would stop crazy people from killing. There are PLENTY of ways to kill large groups of people without using a gun. I could probably name three or four ways just using standard household chemicals and materials available from a grocery store, and I know next to nothing about that sort of thing (it's not exactly something I do research on). Or you could use a car, for that matter; there's a video out there of a guy from I think Brazil where he runs over a bunch of bikers on parade in the street. It's not like a gun is the only way to cause large amounts of suffering; I guarantee someone who wants to kill a large group of people can find a way to do so without a gun. You know what can't be done effectively without a gun? Defending yourself from a crazy person with a lethal weapon.

Gun control laws are strict enough in the US. People abroad seem to think any idiot can buy a gun and carry in public; that's not true at all except in maybe some of the worse parts of the major cities. Background checks are required, licenses are required, and as far as I know, every single state requires some sort of training in the safe operation of the firearm.

If you want to really prevent crazy people from killing lots of people, make it easier and cheaper for them to receive mental assistance from trained professionals. And try to get rid of some of the stigma associated with getting that assistance.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
Stricter gun laws would do absolutely nothing except render law-abiding citizens defenseless. You know what would have really helped prevent this? Training every single member of the faculty in the safe operation of a handgun and requiring them to carry at all times while on school property.

So many people seem to think banning guns would stop crazy people from killing. There are PLENTY of ways to kill large groups of people without using a gun. I could probably name three or four ways just using standard household chemicals and materials available from a grocery store, and I know next to nothing about that sort of thing (it's not exactly something I do research on). Or you could use a car, for that matter; there's a video out there of a guy from I think Brazil where he runs over a bunch of bikers on parade in the street. It's not like a gun is the only way to cause large amounts of suffering; I guarantee someone who wants to kill a large group of people can find a way to do so without a gun. You know what can't be done effectively without a gun? Defending yourself from a crazy person with a lethal weapon.

Gun control laws are strict enough in the US. People abroad seem to think any idiot can buy a gun and carry in public; that's not true at all except in maybe some of the worse parts of the major cities. Background checks are required, licenses are required, and as far as I know, every single state requires some sort of training in the safe operation of the firearm.

If you want to really prevent crazy people from killing lots of people, make it easier and cheaper for them to receive mental assistance from trained professionals. And try to get rid of some of the stigma associated with getting that assistance.
Who says that the faculty wouldn't have turned around and done the same thing if they all held guns? Also its not like Sandy Hook is a major elementary school either. If this had happened in some major city it might be different. But some rural town? Nobody would have thought that it would be necessary.
While guns may not be the "only way to cause large amounts of suffering" they are the most likely means of doing so. When people want to commit murder,I assume most think, "Oh, I'm going to go shoot or stab a bunch of people." I doubt that most would think to plow people down in a parade.
Other than that I agree with everything you're saying, especially the last part about mental assistance.

Years
Are you Wayne LaPierre?

That guy in China who attacked a bunch of children on the same day of the Newtown shooting didn't have access to guns and no one died. All things that are potentially lethal are not equally lethal. Some things are more dangerous than others.

You don't have to have a background check at a gun show. That's quite a big loophole.

This I agree with. I think everyone thinks this is a good idea. I just wish more people would also support ways of paying for this.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years

So instead of taking away the cause of the violence here, you'd rather surround kids by it? We're looking to stop mass shootings here, not give every educational employee the ability to terrify their own students without even meaning to. Further to that, being trained to use a weapon doesn't make you automatically mentally stable. In countries which have gun control, it's not all that unusual to hear of a teacher attacking a student. So when you give them a gun that they've been trained to use, they're on top of the world! Already in a classroom full of defenceless children with a weapon able to kill them all! All you've got to do is lock the door and get to work! All you're doing here is surrounding schoolchildren by terrifying weapons and giving their teachers the means to repeat incidents like this. I can't see any way in which this is a good idea.

Looks like this dude wasn't trying to kill anyone, in that case! Because if he was then, according to you, he'd have successfully killed all of these people! This argument just won't fly. There is simply no way of killing people as effective as using a weapon designed to kill people. There's just no two ways about it; sell someone a weapon which was made to kill people and, unsurprisingly, they're going to be pretty capable of killing people. Yes it is possible to kill people other ways but much more difficult and much less effective.

The fact that you're able to, if you've got a clear background, purchase and (honestly, even worse) be trained to use a killing weapon means that your gun controls are not strict enough. It doesn't matter how tight you are on who is allowed to own one. Anyone at all can take a turn for the worse and decide to use it against innocent people. Don't trust anyone with the ability to kill at will. And honestly, the fact that this incident even happened at all is proof enough that gun laws need to be tighter.

When you give a 'crazy person' a gun in one hand and the means to get mental help in the other hand, they'll probably shoot you. Prevent further incidents like this by tightening gun laws before looking at the mental illness side of the story. However, I agree that it'd help people not yet at a stage like this if assistance was made more easily available.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
This I agree with. I think everyone thinks this is a good idea. I just wish more people would also support ways of paying for this.
Yes. Very much agreed.

This is as much a mental health issue as it is a gun access issue. Should the politicians focus strictly on over the other, I don't think any progress will be made

twocows

Years
Who says that the faculty wouldn't have turned around and done the same thing if they all held guns?
I've never heard of a teacher going off the hook and trying to kill their students. Perhaps have several armed security guards then if you really don't trust the teachers with it. That's probably a better idea, now that I think about it.
Also its not like Sandy Hook is a major elementary school either. If this had happened in some major city it might be different. But some rural town? Nobody would have thought that it would be necessary.
That's an oversight on their part, then. Crazy people are everywhere.
While guns may not be the "only way to cause large amounts of suffering" they are the most likely means of doing so. When people want to commit murder,I assume most think, "Oh, I'm going to go shoot or stab a bunch of people." I doubt that most would think to plow people down in a parade.
I think that's a very dangerous assumption to make and one that has no evidence to support it.

Are you Wayne LaPierre?
I don't know who that is.

That guy in China who attacked a bunch of children on the same day of the Newtown shooting didn't have access to guns and no one died. All things that are potentially lethal are not equally lethal. Some things are more dangerous than others.
I didn't bring up the China incident. I did bring up a different example which you failed to even acknowledge. But the point is that plenty of ordinary things can be lethal, and on a large scale, too. Banning guns just takes protection away from innocent citizens and does little to stop the flow of illegal weaponry (banning things rarely seems to stop the trade of them; just look at prohibition and marijuana as two examples). You're just castrating people who go through the proper channels, nothing more.

You don't have to have a background check at a gun show. That's quite a big loophole.
Then require them. That's perfectly reasonable; I have no problems with such a law. If you think there's a loophole, bring it up, talk about it. I'm opposed to making it harder to get guns through the proper channels or especially banning them outright. If you think there's some oversight, have a dialogue about that before anything else.

So instead of taking away the cause of the violence here, you'd rather surround kids by it?
I suggested that we populate schools with psychopaths? Oh my, that does seem like a pretty bad suggestion.
We're looking to stop mass shootings here, not give every educational employee the ability to terrify their own students without even meaning to.
Yeah, now that I think about it, the security guard idea I mentioned above seems a lot more reasonable. Might be a bit more expensive, but security guards generally aren't paid much, and the safety tradeoff is worth it.
Further to that, being trained to use a weapon doesn't make you automatically mentally stable. In countries which have gun control, it's not all that unusual to hear of a teacher attacking a student. So when you give them a gun that they've been trained to use, they're on top of the world! Already in a classroom full of defenseless children with a weapon able to kill them all! All you've got to do is lock the door and get to work! All you're doing here is surrounding schoolchildren by terrifying weapons and giving their teachers the means to repeat incidents like this. I can't see any way in which this is a good idea.
Sorry, I've never heard of these teachers who go off trying to their students. I've heard of teachers who go off the hook on one student, but never an entire class full of students. That said, I've suggested another idea above.

Looks like this dude wasn't trying to kill anyone, in that case! Because if he was then, according to you, he'd have successfully killed all of these people! This argument just won't fly. There is simply no way of killing people as effective as using a weapon designed to kill people.
I didn't mention knife because I didn't think it was lethal on a large scale. I did mention several other ways which I do believe are lethal on a large scale that you, like the other poster, simply ignored.
There's just no two ways about it; sell someone a weapon which was made to kill people and, unsurprisingly, they're going to be pretty capable of killing people.
Goodbye, automobile industry; I knew thee well.
Yes it is possible to kill people other ways but much more difficult and much less effective.
Not really. For either of the methods I mentioned. Making a chemical weapon out of household chemicals takes maybe one or two searches on Google, the data's all readily there. And killing children with a car would be even easier; all they have to do is wait until children are outside of the school and run them down en masse. It's not a pleasant thought, but it's something that's not hard to do at all for one so inclined.

The fact that you're able to, if you've got a clear background, purchase and (honestly, even worse) be trained to use a killing weapon means that your gun controls are not strict enough. It doesn't matter how tight you are on who is allowed to own one. Anyone at all can take a turn for the worse and decide to use it against innocent people. Don't trust anyone with the ability to kill at will. And honestly, the fact that this incident even happened at all is proof enough that gun laws need to be tighter.
Like I said above, banning guns would have the same effect as banning alcohol or banning marijuana. It would simply create an illegal industry based around distributing them. Then you'd have gangs and organized criminals with guns and people who buy through them with guns while Joe Average with the clean background who simply wants to protect himself is completely unable to do so.

I'm sorry, but treating everyone like criminals by default is awfully totalitarian. By and large, most gun owners are completely reasonable people who just want to be able to protect themselves should the need ever arise. I should know, I know several, including myself. And you know what? Guns work for protection. Sometimes they work without the need to even fire a shot; nothing deters a would-be criminal more than a loaded gun to their face. You can't ban something because a minority of people happen to misuse it; you'd be banning everything from cars to household aerosol sprays.

When you give a 'crazy person' a gun in one hand and the means to get mental help in the other hand, they'll probably shoot you.
Then don't give them both? I have no problems with preventing people receiving mental help from being able to own weapons. Or possibly even require a minimal psychiatric exam for anything semi-automatic.
Prevent further incidents like this by tightening gun laws
A flawed solution that accomplishes nothing productive
before looking at the mental illness side of the story.
A solution that strikes at the root of the problem and does not diminish personal freedom of innocents

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
twocows said:
I didn't mention knife because I didn't think it was lethal on a large scale. I did mention several other ways which I do believe are lethal on a large scale that you, like the other poster, simply ignored.

Because the other ways are 1: irrelevant here and 2: aren't done using weapons made to kill people. This is what I keep coming back to - I acknowledge that you could, if you wanted to, kill several people with a car for example. But that doesn't mean that guns shouldn't be banned. Just because something with a perfectly legitimate use can be used to kill someone doesn't make it a murder weapon. I can think of literally nothing else other than guns which is legal and has no purpose other than to kill with.

twocows said:
Goodbye, automobile industry; I knew thee well.

Sorry? Cars are now a 'weapon made to kill people'?

twocows said:
Not really. For either of the methods I mentioned. Making a chemical weapon out of household chemicals takes maybe one or two searches on Google, the data's all readily there. And killing children with a car would be even easier; all they have to do is wait until children are outside of the school and run them down en masse. It's not a pleasant thought, but it's something that's not hard to do at all for one so inclined.

Again, though, these things aren't murder weapons. We're talking about the banning of guns here, not how to kill people with things other than guns.

twocows said:
Like I said above, banning guns would have the same effect as banning alcohol or banning marijuana. It would simply create an illegal industry based around distributing them. Then you'd have gangs and organized criminals with guns and people who buy through them with guns while Joe Average with the clean background who simply wants to protect himself is completely unable to do so.

Oh, I acknowledge that an illegal industry selling guns would develop. But I doubt people would be anywhere near as inclined to use it as they would be if guns are legal as they are right now - if people even knew how to access such an industry. It wouldn't remove the problem totally. I don't think guns are a problem that can ever be removed totally because of industries like this. But the issue can definitely be alleviated to an extent.

twocows said:
I'm sorry, but treating everyone like criminals by default is awfully totalitarian. By and large, most gun owners are completely reasonable people who just want to be able to protect themselves should the need ever arise. I should know, I know several, including myself. And you know what? Guns work for protection. Sometimes they work without the need to even fire a shot; nothing deters a would-be criminal more than a loaded gun to their face. You can't ban something because a minority of people happen to misuse it; you'd be banning everything from cars to household aerosol sprays.

Not trusting someone with the ability to kill another person is the same as assuming that they're criminals? It doesn't matter how responsible the majority of gun owners are or what their intentions are; the point is that these are weapons designed to kill which, on occasion, are used to kill. I think erring on the side of caution with such a weapon is worth the number of lives which could be potentially saved. With other things such as cars and aerosol sprays, that's fine since they have very practical and non-violent uses. It's true that guns can deter crime, but once again, is it really worth the number of lives they cost given that they can cause crime (and not just any crime, but outright murder) just as easily as they can deter it? I don't think so. And maybe you do think so - in which case, it's just down to difference of opinion here.

twocows said:
Then don't give them both? I have no problems with preventing people receiving mental help from being able to own weapons. Or possibly even require a minimal psychiatric exam for anything semi-automatic.

So you'd assume someone receiving mental help to be someone who can't be trusted with a weapon? You'd have to draw the line somewhere; just because someone's depressed, for example, doesn't make them dangerous and by removing their firearms you're rendering them, as you'd put it, defenceless. You can't just take people who might have something wrong with them, short-term or permanent, and deny them access to firearms when everyone else has it. It's all or nothing - if someone is able to cope in society normally then they should have the same access to firearms as anyone else should. And the only surely safe way to go about this is to remove the firearms in the first place.

As far as psychiatric assessment goes, that's a good idea at the time of the purchase of the weapon, but people and their circumstances can change. Psychiatric assessment would only be fully effective if gun owners were regularly re-assessed, a very expensive and time-consuming endeavour.

Riku

Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 22, 2021
I'm on the fence about gun legislation. I generally oppose banning weapons, but I still think it shouldn't be so easy to acquire something whose primary purpose is to be fired and to kill people. I'd rather actually go about the route that Australia took back in the 90s and ban more dangerous weaponry (do you really need automatic weapons or shotguns?) while offering incentives for people to move the weapons off the streets through something like a buyback program. Also would immediately close the Gun Show Loophole by requiring identification and background checks. However, only that last one I think should be genuinely pressing here.

Sugarcoat it all you like, the issue here isn't the weapons. It's people. I'm not about to defend a gun, as it is a tool of death and destruction, but banning them is, as I've said countless times elsewhere, merely a bandaid on a much larger wound. It's costly, and will be met with a large amount of opposition, be it from the people or corporations, and will probably be about as effective at keeping the trade at bay as any other prohibition we've ever had. I'd rather focus the funds and time on proper funding for treatment for mental disorders, gun education and training like what the NRA was about prior to the 70s I believe it was when manufacturers of these guns starting paying their bills, and better funding for combating inequality and poverty and the like, things that are major contributors to this sort of thing.

twocows

Years
Because the other ways are 1: irrelevant here
No they're not, they're perfectly relevant. You're implying that banning guns would cut violent crime. I'm saying that's rubbish, and provided two other examples of how would-be criminals could commit pretty much the exact same crime with other readily available materials.
and 2: aren't done using weapons made to kill people. This is what I keep coming back to - I acknowledge that you could, if you wanted to, kill several people with a car for example. But that doesn't mean that guns shouldn't be banned. Just because something with a perfectly legitimate use can be used to kill someone doesn't make it a murder weapon. I can think of literally nothing else other than guns which is legal and has no purpose other than to kill with.
You seem to be implying that a shot with a gun is always lethal and that guns are only used for ill means. That's absurd. The primary purpose of a gun in the consumer market is for protection, and anyone trained in the use of a gun knows (or ought to know) the difference between a lethal shot and a shot to incapacitate. It's a legal concept called "necessary force;" if someone is attempting to harm you, you're generally allowed to shoot to kill, otherwise you're generally supposed to shoot to incapacitate.

I'll quote your exact words: "just because something with a perfectly legitimate use can be used to kill someone doesn't make it a murder weapon." The "legitimate use" is to incapacitate someone who is attempting to commit a crime against you.

Sorry? Cars are now a 'weapon made to kill people'?
What matters is whether the device has legitimate uses or not. Guns can be legitimately used for protection, cars can be legitimately used for driving. Both can be abused to harm innocents. Neither should be banned because a small minority of gun- or car-owners misuse them.

Again, though, these things aren't murder weapons. We're talking about the banning of guns here, not how to kill people with things other than guns.
They're murder weapons if people use them to murder others. And I'm bringing up examples of why, even if you got rid of every gun on the planet, it wouldn't make a dent in violent crime. And that's not even touching the "illegal trade" issue.

Oh, I acknowledge that an illegal industry selling guns would develop. But I doubt people would be anywhere near as inclined to use it as they would be if guns are legal as they are right now - if people even knew how to access such an industry. It wouldn't remove the problem totally. I don't think guns are a problem that can ever be removed totally because of industries like this. But the issue can definitely be alleviated to an extent.
Your "doubt" is not a legitimate argument. I can just as easily say "I'm pretty sure criminals would be just as inclined to purchase weapons from illegal sources, if not more so since there would be no associated background checks."

That said, the point is that by banning guns, you're definitely taking them away from the legitimate group of users and maybe affecting the illegitimate use group (I would argue not).

Not trusting someone with the ability to kill another person is the same as assuming that they're criminals?
Not trusting someone with a device that has a legitimate use because a small group of people misuse said device is the same as treating those people as criminals. You're saying "you can't have this because you might be a criminal and misuse it." And that violates one of the very principles upon which our society is predicated: the principle of presumed innocence.
It doesn't matter how responsible the majority of gun owners are or what their intentions are; the point is that these are weapons designed to kill which, on occasion, are used to kill.
What they're designed to do is irrelevant. What purpose they serve is what is relevant. They serve to protect the vast majority of gun owners and their friends and family.
I think erring on the side of caution with such a weapon is worth the number of lives which could be potentially saved. With other things such as cars and aerosol sprays, that's fine since they have very practical and non-violent uses. It's true that guns can deter crime, but once again, is it really worth the number of lives they cost given that they can cause crime (and not just any crime, but outright murder) just as easily as they can deter it? I don't think so. And maybe you do think so - in which case, it's just down to difference of opinion here.
You're very much trying to turn this into a "if you don't support stricter gun control, you're being cavalier with human life" argument. But it's not. Whether those other things have "non-violent uses" is irrelevant; they can be used just as readily for ill means as a gun can. The point is that banning guns would accomplish nothing except depriving people of a means for personal protection. It would not have an impact on violent crime for the reasons I've stated above.

And even if it did, I still believe banning the sale of guns would be unfair, as it presumes guilt when we are supposed to presume innocence.

So you'd assume someone receiving mental help to be someone who can't be trusted with a weapon? You'd have to draw the line somewhere; just because someone's depressed, for example, doesn't make them dangerous
I disagree (I think severe depression can absolutely be dangerous), but now that I think about it, what I said earlier comes into play: there are plenty of ways to cause harm without a gun. I admit, I'm not sure how to handle that situation. Conventional thinking goes out the window when it comes to unstable individuals. We can't take any sort of extreme measures that might be construed as punishment, as that would discourage those people from getting help. On the other hand, if they're unstable to the point of being dangerous, they could cause a lot of harm, gun or no. I think I'll stick to my principles and say that we need to err on the side of being more free, not less. But if they, for instance, fail to show up to an appointment or something, that should be a major thing.

I don't know, it's a tough issue, and it's something people need to talk about. At the very least, more research needs to be done, and we need to figure out a fair way to prevent such people from doing harm without restricting their personal liberty.
and by removing their firearms you're rendering them, as you'd put it, defenseless.
That, too.

You can't just take people who might have something wrong with them, short-term or permanent, and deny them access to firearms when everyone else has it. It's all or nothing - if someone is able to cope in society normally then they should have the same access to firearms as anyone else should. And the only surely safe way to go about this is to remove the firearms in the first place.
I don't think that follows. Yes, it doesn't make sense to restrict their freedoms when that will deter them from receiving help. And on the other hand, yes, it's not exactly a bright idea to hand someone with mental issues a firearm. That part makes sense, and I don't think there's an easy solution. Maybe some sort of conditional sale, a give-and-take sort of thing. Allow the sale of non-semiautomatics to the mentally ill as long as they agree (on penalty of jail time) to check in and get help on a regular basis. Maybe watch them for the first day or two to make sure they actually do it.

What I don't agree with is that removing firearms entirely would solve anything. One of the reasons that, now that I think about it, banning the sale of firearms to the mentally ill wouldn't be very effective is something I've already stated: firearms aren't the only way to cause large-scale death. It doesn't take a genius to figure out alternatives.

Like I said though, we have to err on the side of personal freedom. "Punishing" the mentally ill will just push them away from receiving aid, and banning the sale altogether is flat-out unfair to the vast majority of people.

As far as psychiatric assessment goes, that's a good idea at the time of the purchase of the weapon, but people and their circumstances can change. Psychiatric assessment would only be fully effective if gun owners were regularly re-assessed, a very expensive and time-consuming endeavor.
Once a decade might be a decent balance. Or maybe sooner if their reported earnings are significantly down, or if a concerned person believes there's been a major shift.

Back