• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Ancient Ruby/Sapphire

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Some of you may remember the Silver hack Melash's Ancient Emerald: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=183717 or it's continuation in the form of a fan game by Pia Carrot: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296411

This is the continuation of said project handed down as it has been many times over the years, however, I'm beginning with Ruby and Sapphire versions. Many of you who follow Gen I/II hacks will already know me for my sprite work on various projects such as Polished Crystal, my sprite work over the past 3 or so years has been leading up to this release.

Storyline:

I feel like this doesn't even need stating but to paraphrase the original box blurb:

Immerse yourself in the beautiful region of Hoenn, a place of masterful heroes and mysterious teams, of friendship and battles. As the new kid in town, you set off your journey as a Pokémon Trainer. Who knows what wonders and dangers await you? Now it's time to grab your gear and head out on your own...

• Over 200 Pokémon appear with over 100 newly discovered species—you'll have to link up and trade with a friend who has Ancient Sapphire/Ancient Ruby Version to catch them all!
  • Stunning Game Boy Colour graphics display the world of Pokémon with more detail than ever!

Current/planned features:

• Running shoes.
  • Priority tiles, allowing the player to walk under buildings/bridges!
  • 60 FPS ported from Pokemon Orange (in turn ported from Pokemon Prism).
  • Hoenn dex plus extras found in battles or extra content from Emerald/ORAS. 253 Pokemon in total!
  • A complete devamped RS soundtrack.
  • Bonus content based on the e reader cards and ORAS.
  • Dive and Rock Climb.
  • Various Gen 2 bugfixes.
  • Stats based on RSE.
  • Basically if it's in gen 3 it's probably there, if it's in gen 2 it's almost definitely there, if it's in gen 6 it might be there.

Credits:

There are many, many people who have helped along the way, if there's anyone I have forgotten please notify me.
pokecrystal and tutorials: pret
Spriters: Myself, BlueEmerald, BronzeSwagger, EeveeEe1999, JaceDeane, RainbowDevs, Helix
Music: Mmmmmmmm, Monstarules, Rainbowdevs
Mapping: Myself
Scripting: Myself
Coding: Mmmmmm, Myself, LuckyTyphlosion for his work on porting 60fps to orange

Most importantly I'd like to thank Pia Carrot, Luna (mateo) and Rangi, who have helped me every step of the way, whether it be scripting, tiling, spriting, coding or just general support.

Screenshots:

npYabYD.png

Releases and links:

Discord: https://discord.gg/HFe5nwU

As this is just an alpha release the current game only goes to the end of Petalburg Woods

Quick edit: This should be applied to a Crystal 1.0 ROM

Attachments

• ancientsapphire-alpha1.0.ips
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 488
  • ancientruby-alpha1.0.ips
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
test

i love this so much omg

Last edited:

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
Years
hmmm looks interesting. Got a question though. Is there going to be a new story or is it just sticking to the ruby and sapphire games?

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
hmmm looks interesting. Got a question though. Is there going to be a new story or is it just sticking to the ruby and sapphire games?

As stated, there'll be some extras from Emerald/ORAS. Sevii is also a possibility. But no, it's genuinely just RS

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
AAAAnd it's finally here, woohoo!
I've been waiting for this ever since I learned about this project back in the Polished Crystal Discord server.
Congratulations on your first official release Bloodless, and good luck with the project. I'll be looking forward to the next releases! :D

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I hope this is completed, would love to play 3rd gen in gen 2 as gen 2 was one of my all time favorite gens.

It probably is my favourite gen graphically. My biggest gripe with RSE was the ow palette and sprite styles whereas I found something about gen 2 just pleasant to look at.

I will try my best to complete it, the bonus of open source projects like this is that someone can easily take over but I've been working on this (and my original hack) for far too long to give up

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Oh my gosh! Finally! I remember being so hyped about Mealash's version and was saying that it never saw a relief. I really hope this sees completion regardless of how long it may take!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
I don't want to come off as an ass for saying this but why split this into 2 versions? The norm nowadays is to have the whole shebang in one game not two separate versions like the mainline games. That kinda defeats the purpose of a Pokemon hack. I'll still give this a shot despite this though and keep up the good work as Hoenn is one of my favorite regions.

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I don't want to come off as an ass for saying this but why split this into 2 versions? The norm nowadays is to have the whole shebang in one game not two separate versions like the mainline games.

Because it's meant as an accurate portrayal of the mainline games and as a series? Plus unlike Red&Blue or Black and White for example the versions have actual differences. I do get your point though. Eventually I'll also make Emerald which will be more of your typical 'catch em all' hack.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I just finished the alpha and I'm throughly impressed. I love how you added the GBA looking patches of grass to elevate a sense of authenticity. The 60fps is also a lovely treat, especially since prism is the only hack that contained that feature which made the game more fast paced. My only gripe would be the running animation of the Main character as it looked more like he was skating instead of running. I really can't wait to see this progress even more!

Years
Interesting... A hack with 2 versions. I really like this, and I think it looks better than GBA Ruby & Sapphire. I didn't like the palettes they used in gen 3, they looked less lively than the ones in gen 2.

bh02032002

Years
I decided i will play this Hack in the future. I just don't want to play it right now but like i said. it does look good

Delta231

A noob
Years
I decided i will play this Hack in the future. I just don't want to play it right now but like i said. it does look good

From what aspect it doesn't looks good? It's GBC game after all you can't expect more thing from graphics due to hardware limitations.

bh02032002

Years
From what aspect it doesn't looks good? It's GBC game after all you can't expect more thing from graphics due to hardware limitations.
If you read my message it says It DOES look good. I DID NOT say it looks bad.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Hey! Glad to see you've finally made a thread and brought this here. Best of luck!

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Looking awesome! Also complete RS sound track definitely gives the player a feeling they're playing a "demake" of RS rather than a rom hack / pokecrystal edit.

Last edited:
Back