• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ROM Hack] The Birbs take on Unova

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Pokémon Blaze Black 2
Hardcore Nuzlocke // Birb Edition
Introduction
With summer break just 4 days away, I'll have plenty of time on my hands, so why not start a new challenge run to celebrate! Not to mention how this has been quite the year in the education profession which I do for work... Blaze Black 2, probably one of my favorite hacks I've ever played. The story of the original game, combined with the many enhancements that this game was given make it one of the best in my opinion. And yes, I'll be playing on challenge mode.

Rules
The general rules I play with are:
  • Only Flying-types allowed
  • Every Pokémon must be nicknamed
  • When Pokémon faints, it must be permanently put in a box
  • Dupes clause and shiny clause
  • Black out is game over
  • The Nuzlocke starts when I get PokéBalls
  • Legendaries are not allowed
The hardcore rules are:
  • Battle style is on Set
  • No items in battle, held items are ok
  • No leveling over the next Gym Leader's highest leveled Pokémon (level 14 for Cheren, level 21 for Roxie, etc.) - if a team member becomes overleveled, they can not be used for that battle.
  • If the Pokemon doesn't have the flying typing when caught but evolves into one that does, that team member cannot be used until then
Additional Rule
  • Since the Flying type Pokemon are mainly on the same routes, I'm giving myself some leniency, and can capture up to two, just to promote diversity in my teams.

I got the image from here

Last edited:

tokyodrift

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Summary
- After completing all the necessary side quests of finding the Herdier and battling the trainers that Alder introduced me to, it was time for the Gym in Aspertia City
- I was pretty nervous about this Gym because if Cheren's team sets up Work Up, he can easily sweep
- Before entering the Gym, I found a level 5 Wurmple and stalled with Madam Birb so she'd get poisoned since she has the Guts ability
- The Gym Leader battle consisted of using Focus Energy, Sand Attack, and a few Growls and praying for massive crits which happened for once lmao
- With that we won the battle but we lost Lady Birb the Pidgey since I had to sack something off to get a clean swap

The Squad

taillow.png

Madam Birb, Naughty (+Atk, -SpD), Female Taillow
Lv. 16, Guts
- Focus Energy
- Wing Attack
- Growl
- Quick Attack

hoothoot.png

Smart Birb, Relaxed (+Def, -Spe), Female Hoothoot
Lv. 14, Insomnia
- Uproar
- Hypnosis
- Confusion
- Growl

Birb Sanctuary in the Sky

pidgey.png

tokyodrift

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Summary
- As I head toward Virbank City, we're stopped by Cheren who lectures us about the dark grass and how they can sometimes be double battles
- He also gives us the Super Rod
- I backtrack to Aspertia City to get our encounter in the lake there which is 100% of the time a Magikarp which I name Snek Birb and give him the EXP Share to hold for now
- We make it to Virbank City with no casualties
- My next encounter is in Virbank Complex which is a Spearow which I name Tiny Birb
- At this point I take the time to train my team in EVs just to get that extra bit of damage
- I complete the side quest of motivating the Virbank Complex workers to get back to work, and was rewarded the TM for Rock Smash
- While grinding, Hoothoot evolved into Noctowl, Spearow evolved into Fearow, and Magikarp evolved into Gyarados
- I also took on Brawly during myu griding session
- Finally I was ready to take on Roxie with Noctowl's Reflect and Confusion, and the help of Fearow and Gyarados, Roxie was defeated!

The Squad

swellow.png

Madam Birb, Naughty (+Atk, -SpD), Female Swellow @ Silk Scarf
Lv. 22, Guts
- ExtremeSpeed
- Return
- Steel Wing
- Wing Attack

noctowl.png

Smart Birb, Relaxed (+Def, -Spe), Female Noctowl
Lv. 22, Insomnia
- Reflect
- Hypnosis
- Air Cutter
- Confusion

fearow.png

Tiny Birb, Serious (Neutral), Female Fearow
Lv. 21, Intimidate
- Persuit
- Aerial Ace
- Steel Wing
- Return

gyarados.png

Snek Birb, Docile (Neutral), Male Gyarados
Lv. 21, Moxie
- Bounce
- Reversal
- Bite
- Return

pidgey.png

Last edited:

tokyodrift

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Summary
- After obtaining our new badge, time for the worst part of the game, PokeStar Studios.... there isn't much else to say about it tbh
- Team Plasma shows up and Hugh is on about his sister Purrloin
- The grunt runs off to the previous route and I find him and take him out
- Hugh and I arrive in Castelia City
- I immediately try and go to the Gym but the leader isn't there and apparently Team Plasma is down here up to no good!
- In Castelia Sewers, I find my next encounter which is a Zubat which I name Sick Birb
- I take on the Battle Company to do some training before the next Gym battle, I finish the rest of the training in the sewers and the gym
- Time to take on Burgh, annnnnnnnnnnd he got swept by Moxie Gyarados!
- Colress is waiting for us on the next route, this battle in particular I'm super nervous for because most of his team packs Electric-type moves
- I make it to the Desert Resort for the next encounter, which happens to be a Skarmory named Steel Birb, which is nice because I've needed a physical wall for a little while now
- The Route to the left of Nimbasa City I encounter a Natu, which I name Wise Birb
- My encounter in Lostlorn Forest is a Murkrow I name Dark Birb

The Squad

swellow.png

Lv. 29, Guts
- ExtremeSpeed
- Return
- Steel Wing
- Wing Attack

xatu.png

Wise Birb, Naughty (+Atk, -SpD), Female Xatu
Lv. 29, Magic Bounce
- Wish
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Light Screen

charmeleon.png

Fire Birb, Jolly (+Spe, -SpA), Male Charmeleon
Lv. 29, Blaze
- Dragon Rage
- Fire Fang
- Ember
- Smokescreen

gyarados.png

Snek Birb, Docile (Neutral), Male Gyarados
Lv. 31, Moxie
- Bounce
- Reversal
- Bite
- Dragon Rage

skarmory.png

Steel Birb, Bashful (Neutral), Male Skarmory
Lv. 29, Sturdy
- Sky Drop
- Spikes
- X-Sissor
- Agility

crobat.png

Sick Birb, Hasty (+Spe, -Def), Male Crobat
Lv. 29, Inner Focus
- Confuse Ray
- X-Sissor
- Bite
- Wing Attack

pidgey.png

tokyodrift

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Summary
- I also backtracked and got myself a Charmander from one of the Harlequin in Castelia City
- There's not much to do in Nimbasa City, so I go to the nearest routes to train my team to the level cap
- I also buy a few TMs, including Light Screen and Thunder Wave
- I swap Smart Birb for Wise Birb
- I run through the Gym Trainers in Elesa's gym
- Time for Elesa herself, this battle also makes me nervous because it's always possible I could wipe
- Between setting up Light Screen, using Wish to stay healthy, and setting up two layers of Spikes, I was able to sweep with a max happiness, Silk Scarf boosted Return/ExtremeSpeed from Madam Birb, not to mention she got Paralyzed by Emolga's Static so that also boosted her attack one stage due to Guts
- Thank goodness that's over without any casualties
- Next my team and I go heal, and take on the two Subway bosses outside with Nate
- As I head toward the Charizard Bridge, Hugh is chillin' with Team Plasma and he's on about his sister's Purrloin YET AGAIN
- I take them out without any issues

The Squad

swellow.png

Lv. 41, Guts
- ExtremeSpeed
- Return
- Steel Wing
- Wing Attack

xatu.png

Wise Birb, Naughty (+Atk, -SpD), Female Xatu @ Amulet Coin/TwistedSpoon
Lv. 39, Magic Bounce