The PokéCommunity Forums General Pokémon Discussions Pokémon Trading Card Game
What is collectible

Pokémon Trading Card Game The forum for the Pokémon TCG and Pokemon TCG Online. Post your deck to get rated, rate other decks, ask questions, talk about strategy, etc.

Old May 14th, 2018 (3:41 AM).
    TCGO:

I have reached a deal with my two kids, aged 7 and 10, that every year on their birthday I will get them a set of rare and relatively expensive Pokemon cards - till they reach the age of 18. The idea is that on each birthday after their 18th they will have a little piggy bank to crack open - if they so wish. They are full of ideas regarding what kinds of cards I should get for them. However, I know little about Pokemon myself so I thought I should ask here first - what kinds of cards would make a good potential investment? I would be most grateful for any suggestions.
    Old May 14th, 2018 (3:42 PM). Edited May 14th, 2018 by Aduitt.
    Confused
      TCGO:

Nature: Lax
      You could try 'Ancient Mew'.

It was released for the second Pokémon movie and goes for roughly $15-$20 each.
      It should gain value as time goes on due to the limited amount and the collectability of the card.

I would ask a few people before buying though.

Old May 14th, 2018 (3:53 PM).
      Confused
        TCGO:

This is what the card actually says.

- MEW HP 30
        PSYCHE 40
        WEAKNESS: Psychic x 2
        RESISTANCE: none
        RETREAT COST: Colorless x 2

NEW SPECIES
        LITTLE GOD... OR EVIL
        Old May 14th, 2018 (6:27 PM).
        TCGO: donavannj

Quote:
        Originally Posted by MatSo View Post
        I have reached a deal with my two kids, aged 7 and 10, that every year on their birthday I will get them a set of rare and relatively expensive Pokemon cards - till they reach the age of 18. The idea is that on each birthday after their 18th they will have a little piggy bank to crack open - if they so wish. They are full of ideas regarding what kinds of cards I should get for them. However, I know little about Pokemon myself so I thought I should ask here first - what kinds of cards would make a good potential investment? I would be most grateful for any suggestions.
        As far as investments go, there's not really a good set to invest in that doesn't have high costs already. Any complete sets are going to be a pain to obtain as well, even for the cheaper ones like the XY Base Set.

Also worth noting that complete sets in Pokemon generally require buying north of 100 cards that don't really hold much in value.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Aduitt View Post
        You could try 'Ancient Mew'.

It was released for the second Pokémon movie and goes for roughly $15-$20 each.
        It should gain value as time goes on due to the limited amount and the collectability of the card.

I would ask a few people before buying though.

So, unfortunately, that Ancient Mew is probably not a good investment. Before the spike partially caused by the double-whammy of Pokemon Go and the 20th Anniversary stuff, that card was sitting at maybe $2 in value, because there are so many in circulation, and most of its value is people thinking it's rarer than it is. I think that card might actually stagnate or even sink in value as most of the people who want one for nostalgia value will now have one.
        Old May 14th, 2018 (6:58 PM). Edited May 14th, 2018 by Aduitt.
        Confused
          TCGO:

Quote:
          Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
          As far as investments go, there's not really a good set to invest in that doesn't have high costs already. Any complete sets are going to be a pain to obtain as well, even for the cheaper ones like the XY Base Set.

Also worth noting that complete sets in Pokemon generally require buying north of 100 cards that don't really hold much in value.

So, unfortunately, that Ancient Mew is probably not a good investment. Before the spike partially caused by the double-whammy of Pokemon Go and the 20th Anniversary stuff, that card was sitting at maybe $2 in value, because there are so many in circulation, and most of its value is people thinking it's rarer than it is. I think that card might actually stagnate or even sink in value as most of the people who want one for nostalgia value will now have one.
          Fair Enough.

Even so, it's still a cool card to have.

But I do have to agree. Most cards that are expensive are expensive from the get-go. When cards are released, Pokémon pretty much tells you "THIS IS RARE/GOOD"
          Old May 16th, 2018 (4:07 AM).
            TCGO:

Thank you for the replies. From what I have gathered then it seems like by and large these cards do not make a good investment and we are more likely to land a fake than something with potential future value?
            Old June 27th, 2018 (10:40 AM).
              TCGO:

I have 2 of these ancient mews in my collection I just dug out will post a forum of my collection still missing like 10 cards for all the older sets :( base set jungle set fossil set and team rocket!
              Old July 7th, 2018 (10:01 AM). Edited July 7th, 2018 by BellBlitzKing.
                TCGO:

Where do you sell your card collection? What's the best method for clearing your collection?

I have a big stock of them, from the child-hood but never found many sources in my area that'd by them. The old Ebay method of posting them for the highest bidder often has been frowned upon and scammy and on other seller sites you might end up with Yugioh card in the mail.

Can you provide any ideas for selling? The "value" of a card varies so much though as seen below.
                http://pokemonprices.com/
                https://shop.tcgplayer.com/price-guide/pokemon/base-set

Quick Reply