The PokéCommunity Forums General Pokémon Discussions Pokémon Trading Card Game
Rotation dates?

Pokémon Trading Card Game The forum for the Pokémon TCG and Pokemon TCG Online. Post your deck to get rated, rate other decks, ask questions, talk about strategy, etc.

Old September 21st, 2018 (2:48 AM). Edited September 21st, 2018 by Jubilation.
the fairy type gymleader
    TCGO:

Nature: Adamant
    So I'm just getting into the Pokemon TCG and I've come across things being "in rotation".

I understand the concept, but can anybody explain the timeframe, or period of things being in rotation and how that works?
    Old September 21st, 2018 (3:48 AM). Edited September 21st, 2018 by Hands.
    I was saying Boo-urns
    TCGO: SpeshHands

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jubilation View Post
    So I'm just getting into the Pokemon TCG and I've come across things being "in rotation".

I understand the concept, but can anybody explain the timeframe, or period of things being in rotation and how that works?
    Rotation only really effects the Standard format right now and happens just after worlds every year (so roughly 1st Sept). Usually we lose about four sets. This rotation we lost more because we had an usually big Standard format (We had BreakTHROUGH - Celestial Storm which was a massive 15 sets in format) so we ended up losing seven sets, although the rotation prior to that we only lost three and a mini. The likelihood is next rotation will be Ultra Prism onward (right now we're in Sun and Moon - Dragons Majesty, DM being a small set)

Certain cards (like Acro bike and Switch) survive multiple rotations because they have word for word (or close enough) reprints in later sets.

Basically, Rotation defines the standard format (which most events run). Expanded has something stupid like 31 sets in it right now, but might change next year.

https://www.pokemon.com/uk/pokemon-news/2019-season-pokemon-tcg-format-rotation/

More info here

Quick Reply