• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rotation dates?

Shiny

content creator on twitch
Years
So I'm just getting into the Pokemon TCG and I've come across things being "in rotation".

I understand the concept, but can anybody explain the timeframe, or period of things being in rotation and how that works?

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
So I'm just getting into the Pokemon TCG and I've come across things being "in rotation".

I understand the concept, but can anybody explain the timeframe, or period of things being in rotation and how that works?

Rotation only really effects the Standard format right now and happens just after worlds every year (so roughly 1st Sept). Usually we lose about four sets. This rotation we lost more because we had an usually big Standard format (We had BreakTHROUGH - Celestial Storm which was a massive 15 sets in format) so we ended up losing seven sets, although the rotation prior to that we only lost three and a mini. The likelihood is next rotation will be Ultra Prism onward (right now we're in Sun and Moon - Dragons Majesty, DM being a small set)

Certain cards (like Acro bike and Switch) survive multiple rotations because they have word for word (or close enough) reprints in later sets.

Basically, Rotation defines the standard format (which most events run). Expanded has something stupid like 31 sets in it right now, but might change next year.

https://www.pokemon.com/uk/pokemon-news/2019-season-pokemon-tcg-format-rotation/

More info here

Last edited:
Back