• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 3] Through the frogpond! Into XD: Gale of Darkness

ribbits

ribbit
Years
Hi! Hullo! Hop on in! I hope the water is a comfortable temperature! I would like to welcome you to....

Frogpond! XD: Gale of Darkness
FrogXD.png
Setting The Scene
Towards the end of last year I decided to replay through Colosseum and had quite a lovely time, ending the run with a good bunch of hooligans who now spend their time sightseeing in the Hoenn Region. However, I knew that by playing Colosseum again, I wouldn't be able to close the book of GameCube games until I completed XD as well.... So here I am.

The intention with this run is to just have a nostalgic playthrough, but there are a few things that I am doing just to support myself with not burning out.

1. Limited Playtime. I intend to only play in small sessions of half an hour to an hour.
  2. Doodling. Last year really stole all my creative bones so I gotta reconstruct them. With every update post I make I intend to include a lil doodle to help me ease back into drawing once more!
  3. Travel Journal. Hoping that the use of a travel journal will help me to cherish the journey, rather than focus on the end goal! I'm pretty active on the PC Discord but I think this is a good excuse for me to get my foot in the door here too.

I'm excited to get started with this run, and looking forward to sharing updates too!

ribbits

ribbit
Years
Orre Observations - Episode 1!

Look it seems like life is pretty good for a frog in Orre. I started my day off strong, absolutely owning some noobs with my Salamence in Pokemon Showdown, that was pretty cool. However, it wasn't long before the local Professor, Citizen Kane cut my connection. It was rude as hell. He wanted me to go find my sister JOVI. I hope I didn't have any input to her name but she's my sister, I need to know she's safe! After picking up my iPad and talking to JOVI's friend Adon, I was informed that she had gone to a spooky manor in the woods. I sighed, I thought by now Jovi would have learnt about the dangers of spooky manor's from all the time she's spent watching me play Mario is Missing.

I hopped on my moped and got ZOOMIN. Zoomed through some forest. Zoomed through a bit of dust. Zoomin all over the place. Took me a minute but soon enough I arrived at the Kaminko Manor. It was spooky to say the least. You would think that the owner would be able to spend a little bit of their money on some front garden maintenance, but obviously not. As I approached the door, something approached me. Small, feeble. The creature's footsteps were light, like a leaf on the wind. Something you wouldn't notice without the presence that it brought. A presence of dread, death and destruction. Chobin introduced himself, but not before bringing forth his almighty Sunkern.

Chobin 1.jpg

The battle was long winded and deadly, lasting two whole turns of battle. EEVEE was braver than I was, with no hesitation to tackle the behemoth in front of it. After what seemed like Eons this clash of champions came to an end. Chobin and Sunkern were defeated. Chobin allowed me to enter the lab, but I am unsure if he will show as much restraint next time. Inside, I found JOVI talking about metaphysics and fractals or something with Doc Kaminko. He seems pretty chill but I reminded JOVI that we needed to get back home. The journey back was pretty chill, lots of zoomin and a bit of chatting but nothing major. Upon arriving back at the lab, Citizen Kane gave me a cast for my arm. As much as I told him that it was not broken, he kept going on about how it could be used to catch Shadow Pokemon. I don't know what the big deal is, maybe just move your Pokémon to a better lighted area if you can't see it in the shadows? Anyway, it was obvious that Kane was not gonna let me go without putting my cast on, so I agreed to do so (although first thing I'm doing when I get back to my room is taking it off).

Citizen Kane left the room before I did. I probably wouldn't have really acknowledged it if not for the commotion that followed afterwards. Out in reception these dudes straight up kidnapped him. It was WILD. Like, who comes into a business and kidnaps a public figure in broad daylight? Silly stuff. One of the grunts had a super edgy looking TEDDIURSA. I really vibed with their aesthetic. Was it goth core? Emo core? Man I don't know but TEDDIURSA and I really vibed together, so I stole it from this dude. He stole a human so I thought this might balance it out. After talking with mum about what happened, she decided that we shouldn't bother looking for Citizen Kane. Instead, she wanted to keep working on his machine. Mum asked me to go shopping in Gateon Port for some parts. This was fine by me, any excuse to go for a little wander is good in my books, but JOVI wanted to come too. When we arrived on Port, this massive meathead dude just started talking really disrespectfully to my sister. I mean, I don't know what I expected from a man whose name is Zook... but I guess I try to see the good in people. I didn't stand a chance against his muscle mass, but fortunately this wasn't a problem. This old man and his accomplices rocked up out of nowhere and called out Zook on his inappropriate behavior, one of the dudes set him straight with a Pokemon Battle though, so all is well that ends well.

But I was still far from home, and far from finishing my errands for the day. The Old Man introduced himself as Mr Verich. He looked like BIG MONEY. Fancy suit. Big as boat. It was evident his pockets were lined. I headed to the Parts Shop to pick up our order, only to be greeted by a man giving out Evolution Stones. After a bit of a chat about what they were, he passed me a Water Stone. EEVEE and I have always talked about evolution, and this was the perfect time. I gave the water stone to EEVEE who evolved into a gorgeous VAPOREON! We were powering up for real. After talking with this guy a bit more, he let me know that the Shop Owner had gone to visit his friend at Kaminko Manor. Another trip to be made, I was guzzling petrol at this rate. Upon arriving at Kaminko Manor again, I was confronted. Chobin, Guardian of the Gate was in my path once more.

A battle commenced, but VAPOREON and TEDDIURSA stood strong and settled the field. Chobin is obviously holding back, but the reason? I am unsure... Inside, I introduced myself to Makar, king of the Loose Parts. He told me to go link up with his grandson Perr, who should be able to give me the part. Oh man, another trip. What am I, an errand boy? Ridiculous. Getting back to Gateon Port, I met up with Perr who gave me what I needed. I had no intention of hanging out in town any longer, so JOVI and I zoomed back to the lab. When we got there, I passed on the machine part to mum. She was super keen to keep working on it, but evidently also super keen to send me on another fetch quest. Mum told me to head to a town called Aegate Village. Here there are legends of an artefact known as the 'Relic Stone', which has the power to purify Shadow Pokemon, whatever that means. So I guess that's my next stop, but not before filling up this petrol guzzling Moped.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I love the art, keep it up! It'll be exciting to see how this plays out since it's literally been years since I last played through Gale of Darkness. Looking forward to future updates.

Back