• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Music that got you through hard times?

Years
I'm curious, as I have favourite bands who really helped me with their music, even if it is cringe, the main one is Slipknot.

What about you?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
When I was ill for months with Mononucleosis, I played a certain song on repeat: The Whitest Boy Alive - Don't Give Up

When my love life once upon a time was chaotic, a song really got me through it: Florence+The Machine - Shake it Out

Years
sometimes when i need to destress, i just drop everything and listen to The Strokes - Is This it full album on repeat. something about those 2001 garage rock classics that really soothe me.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Oh yeah, also, a song that made me pull through when things were rough, on account of it basically just sounding so hopeful and epic:

Mew - Comforting Sounds

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I actually listen more to vocal-less music for some tough times because they're generally more calming to listen too... ie. some Vanessa Mae violin music.

AussieAsian458

To show fear is to embrace change
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 16, 2023
Asian Pop music gets me through hard times. Also Opeth in contrast. Especially songs from Blackwater Park and Watershed.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Korn - Greatest Hits, Vol.1 was almost like a religion to me at one time.
Seether- Driven Under, Rise above
TOOL- Vicarious, Schism, Forty Six & 2
Everything Tech N9ne and Krizz Kaliko - Strange Music!!
Hopsin- Marcus' Gospel
Gary Jules - Mad World
Tech N9Ne - FRAGILE
Hail The Villain - Swan Dive Suicide
Sum 41 Screaming Bloody Murder
Linkin Park-Given Up
Al Green- How Can You Mend a Broken Heart
Justin Timberlake - Blue Ocean Floor
Mystery Skulls - MUSIC

There's plenty more I can't remember right now, but that's a pretty good list.

Last edited:

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
Years
This might sound odd, but GlitchxCity's lofi remix of Turffield. Last school year I was stressed because I had less than a week to finish this huge extra credit project that was supposed to be done in groups, all by myself. It came on shuffle when I was on the home stretch of finishing that forsaken project, and I stopped working completely, closed my eyes, and just listened to it. It brought tears to my eyes.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Myself by Kara's Flowers, aka Maroon 5 before they were Maroon 5.

There's just...something about that song.

Years
note: the songs below are in the format:
Code:
Song Title - Artist Name

Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride - Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu & Kamehameha Schools Children's Chorus (from Lilo and Stitch)

He Mele No Lilo - also Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu & Kamehameha Schools Children's Chorus (from Lilo and Stitch)

Dead Man's Party - Oingo Boingo

Thank God - Sasha Sloan

Circle of Life - Carmen Twillie, Lebo M. (From The Lion King)

Criminal - Fiona Apple

Fly Me To The Moon - Frank Sinatra

Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash

Behind Blue Eyes - version by The Who, but other covers are good too

Soldier of Fortune - Deep Purple

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles

Your Song - Elton John, but another "pick your cover" song, as Ewan MacGregor (yes, Obi-Frickin-Wan Kenobi, he sang the song himself in Moulin Rouge) and Lady Gaga have given us great renditions too

I could go on... and on... down the list. lol

Last edited:
Years
pretty much almost any song by Illenium! the deep lyrics and entrancing beat really just gets me into my thoughts whenever i'm having a rough patch of things.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
A few come to mind but the first song I would say is Clocks by Coldplay. I've listened to it my entire life whenever anything has been hard and I feel like it is the song that reflects the progress I've made and how far I've come as a person. Thriving Ivory - Angels on the Moon helped me a lot when I was going through the worst period of my clinical depression. Sufjan Stevens' album Carrie and Lowell has helped me a lot too and is a masterpiece of an album. Particularly, The Only Thing off of that album. There are a few other different songs I've listened to over the years. Cough Syrup by Young the Giant got me through a lot in high school, same with What a Catch Donnie by Fall Out Boy and Open Your Eyes by Snow Patrol. I also really liked Perfect Places by Lorde when I was struggling to transition to a new part of my life and found comfort in Chandelier by Sia which really grew on me one day. There are many others that mean a lot to me I'm sure but these are some that have helped me.

Years
Generally, I usually throw on some Heart, Blackmore's Night, classic soul and disco, 60's music or something Asian.

More specifically, the last year has been extremely hard on me, and when I was at my very worst, listening to April pretty much got me through it.

Their orchestral, elegant and happy pop, can often lift me, even when I'm at my lowest. I owe my sanity and my general recovery to them.

I will have a think about other artists, and individual songs, but April is my immediate answer :)

Years
Emilie Autumn's music, especially the Opheliac era. There's commentary in her songs on society and women's issues, as well as mental illness. It resonates with me when I am feeling lost and depressed, but it's cathartic too. Let out your anger and scream with her, and shake your hair and dance it all away! I find that her music can ease tension that has been churning in me, sometimes I just snicker at the absurdity of the world because of that wry, depreciating sense of humor in many of her lyrics. Though she covers some dark content, I never walk away feeling sad after listening to her. It's like I am blowing off steam by kicking and hitting a punching bag. Maybe you have to embrace the darkness first, before you can make yourself free of it?

Back