• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Least favorite generation?

Least favorite generation?

• Gen I

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Gen II

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Gen III

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Gen IV

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Gen V

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Gen VI

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Gen VII

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Gen VIII

Votes: 18 26.5%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
gen 8 definitely least favorite, not even a contest, just based on how many things/facets of the series as a whole that were lost or ruined by what they did add. Plus the horrid main "story".

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Every gen has its problems and things that you see and wonder "Why?", it's just a matter of which issues are bigger or smaller for each player. A boring region? Linearity? New Pokémon designs? Hand-holding/Lack of challenge? Technical issues? Garbage characters/story? New mechanics? Lack of post-game? etc.

As I've commented in another thread, Yellow and BW were my least favorite games (not counting the Let's Go games that I have zero interest in ever touching), but since we're talking about gens, BW2 saved Gen V for me.

So Gen VI would be it. Its main feat was Mega evolution and I didn't like how most of it went into fanservicemons and Pokémon that didn't need it. Also the difficulty is a complete joke if you decide to use the huge advantages they give to you.

Years
I'll go with gen 5. Other than the music and some of the mons most of it was just ugh....

For me gen 4 isn't that great either, it was decent. it's just that there are way worse gens lol
other possibilities would've been gen 1 & gen 8.

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 26, 2021
After voting I looked at the results. I voted Gen 6 and was glad to see that others agree. I was shocked, however, that Gen 1 is getting votes. How can you dislike the original, the classic, the one that started it all?

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Dec 18, 2022
Gen VIII. For me, it was close between this and Gen VII, but this one manages to scrape ahead with the lack of effort put into the story. None of the characters are likable, the attempts at comedy fell flat, and they failed to mention some major plot points until 5 minutes before they became important. Also, did I mention that Leon is the unbeatable champion, and he has a Charizard?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I was shocked, however, that Gen 1 is getting votes. How can you dislike the original, the classic, the one that started it all?

It's not rare at all when the gen that started it all is the most unbalanced, lacking in a lot of areas and has a ton of programming issues.

Geewithabee

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 26, 2021
But you gotta pay respects, man. There's no Gen II or beyond if there's no Gen I, and it did well enough to cause the series to explode in popularity.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
^ Nothing to do with respect. We can thank and recognize the first games for creating the formula, yet that doesn't mean we have to turn a blind eye on all its flaws. Every Gen has its issues and can be a least favorite for some.

First games allways get away with more things because since they're the first games you go with no expectations and have no previous entries to compare them with. As players grow up, they also get higher standars and a better eye for noticing flaws that as a seven years old playing Red/Blue they might have been completely unaware of.

Geewithabee

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 26, 2021
a seven year old playing Red/Blue
Haha that's definitely what I was at the time, and life was good and things were simple. That's probably what my love for Gen I really stems from. You make a lot of really good points.

Years
Too me Gen VII was kind of boring, although I like what they did with the trails and stuff, it was the Pokémon that I never appealed too, I love the Alolan forms along with the Galar forms as it is an interesting way to switch up how Pokémon themselves adapt too, but besides that I just never liked any of the Pokémon except for a few hand full of Pokémon. And DONT get me started on the Ultra Beasts, I get that they are from a different dimensions but jeez, I just feel like they could have done a better job with their designs.

Years
I might say something someone has already stated. If so, I'm sorry, but I didn't manage to read all the posts.

As unoriginal as that may sound, but I go with Gen VI. The games were obviously rushed, which is why they have a disorienting story. (if you have time, though, read this (the photos inside it contain a bit of strong language so pay attention). It explains some of the weird aspects of X and Y.)
I also dislike the anime as it is so overrated. Oh my Arceus, I see Serena everywhere. In my opinion, she's so famous just because of the love story with Ash. May has a great character development, so I don't see why the community just praises Serena as a goddess over May.

I don't however understand why people hate Gen VIII so much. Every game used to have narrow and small routes, with just a few trainer battles making them longer. But now, people have standards. The graphics in Pokémon have always sucked (compare Pokémon DPPt with other DS games. You'll understand.), and the story has always been bad: literally, Kanto and Johto have no story whatsoever, Hoenn has an evil team that wants to dry off or flood the world, in DPPt Cyrus just wants to reset everything and Kalos' story is just a mashup of random things (but again, read the text in the link above). I've excluded Unova and Alola games because their story was quite better than the other games, with Unova having a rival who is actually the enemy and an evil team with good purposes which were actually a cover-up for evil deeds, and Alola talking about multiverse and a mother which suffered so much to the point of making her kids want to escape (but Hau sucks). Hop is actually a rival that suffers: he will never be like his brother. When he loses in the final battle, he says that he fought a great battle, but in a fit of rage, and in the end, he refuses to pursue his task: he wants to be a professor. Rose fights for a stupid purpose to emphasize the fact that he has no reason to do that, and the DLCs expand on the history of Galar.

The only downside I can see in SwSh is the Dex(x)it, and it makes sense if one criticizes it, but not if one criticizes other aspects that have always been like that.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 29, 2021
I feel like I prefer the odd number generations to the even number generations.

Gen 2, 4, and 6 just don't introduce many Pokemon I enjoy, and the games I also have serious issues with.

Back