• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with modifying Level cap, EXP, Types, balls, and pokemon.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Aug 14, 2021
Hiya, I'm a bit new to the forum.
But I was wondering, how does one edit Level cap, EXP growth, add new pokeballs and new pokemon? I don't have much experience in C, so any help is appreciated.
I found
Code:
src\data\pokemon\experience_tables.h
and
Code:
include\constants\pokemon.h
But other than those I can't find anything refering to EXP and level. I did add a new experience table in experience_tables.h so I'm not sure if that would be an issue.
As for pokeballs, I can only find the files with pokeball in the title, but I'm not sure how to edit them.
And for pokemon, I am unsure how to just add completely new pokemon.
I also would like to add tri-type pokemon. And maybe quads eventually. Though I am unsure if that's a possibility.

Thanks for giving this a read!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
These are some general lines but no solution.

Firstly, I recommand taking things a bit lower since you are new. Take a look at the simple decomp mods, and try to understand what he changed and how the code changed the game. Or use your text editor to find all occurrences of a word f.e. gExperienceTables to figure out how the exp system works.

Similar for expanding pokemon. Look for a certain species (Species_bulbasaur f.e.) and find all places where you need to append data. More easy is changing the sprites and stats of an existing pokemon (aka replacing a pokemon instead of adding).

Regarding types: const struct BaseStats gBaseStats in base_stats.h holds the stats of the mons including types. Modify struct BaseStats in pokemon.h to hold more types and find where types are used. This will include: trainer ai, damage calculation, pokedex filtering, and certain abilities like magnet pull which all need to be changed in order to work with more types. This might be tedious but general easy since the game doesn't distinct between type 1 or 2.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Aug 14, 2021
Thank you!
I'm not entirely new to decomps, I've done the simple stuff like replacing pokemon and changing maps. I've just never tried anything more complex then that. So I'm definitely still new though.

Thank you for breaking those down for me. I couldn't find the files to change for my life.
I'll try those changes and see what happens!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen yesterday
If you're looking for level cap code, check out my thread about soft level caps.
I try to explain everything that's going on in the thread, so it should be easy to modify to fit your needs.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Aug 14, 2021
If you're looking for level cap code, check out my thread about [link]
I try to explain everything that's going on in the thread, so it should be easy to modify to fit your needs.

Awesome! That looks like it should be what I'm looking for.
Sorry I took so long to respond. I've been implimenting tri-type all day, so that's been taking a while. Finally almost finished with that.
I'll tackle level next.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Awesome! That looks like it should be what I'm looking for.
Sorry I took so long to respond. I've been implimenting tri-type all day, so that's been taking a while. Finally almost finished with that.
I'll tackle level next.

Were you able to change experience gain, I'm trying to do that too?

Back