Advertiser Content

Cipnit

Seen 4 Days Ago
Posted October 4th, 2019
6 posts
285 Days

This is a hack/mod for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Red Rescue Team - that gives you complete control over all the Pokemon in your team.
Press start to change your control mode between manual and automatic. While in automatic control mode, the game will play as it normally does, where your partners are controlled by AI. In manual control mode, you will have full control over every one of your Pokemon in a single round: after moving with your first Pokemon, you'll be given control over your next partner, before the next, until you've moved with every one of your Pokemon, where control will be passed back to your leader after your enemies have moved. Note that you can only change control modes on your leader's turn, and that the game will remember the moves you set on the turns of your partners.
While it is super helpful to prevent your partners from spending power points willy-nilly or walk into traps you just stepped on, as well as making them use toolbox items or specific moves as soon as you need them, controlling two or more Pokemon at the same time is harder than you'd think! There's a lot of challenge in finding the right moves to use at the right time, within the constraint of the turn order. This hack transforms Mystery Dungeon into a strategy game - it's a Pokemon experience like none other!

INSTALLATION
Spoiler:
This hack was created in the US/Australian version of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Red Rescue Team, and may not work in any other version. I recommend Flips to install the hack - you can download it here.
If you still want to use start to bring up gridlines, included in this folder is a version which switches your control mode if you press start while holding L (labelled L+Start), and otherwise, start works as it normally does. Note that quickly tapping R gives you the gridlines start does in the original game, so neither version takes mechanics away from you, it's just a matter of preference.
Also included are patches that can be applied to a ROM which already has the Advanced Rescue Team ROMhack (version Beta 2) installed, but if you want to combine my hack with any other hack (that was also made in the US/Australian version of PMD RRT), flips will not work. There is a method, but it's meticulous - details are given in the file WARNING.txt.

KNOWN BUGS
Spoiler:
- On the first turn after you change the control mode to manual, the directions of your partners may change. Wait a second before immediately attacking.
- You may not be able to attack while controlling a partner with the Run Away ability when its health is lower than 50%. Note that if your first Pokemon has Run Away, it won't be affected by this.
If you encounter a game-breaking bug, feel free to send me a message, and if I feel like it, I might bring myself to add it to the known bugs list. If you really really want me to debug the bug, make sure to be as thorough as possible in your explanation of the bug - every step you took to trigger it, as well as the situation the game was in - and it would be extremely helpful if you sent me a savestate of the game in the situation. It's also helpful if you try to trigger the bug in the unmodded ROM if possible, to make sure that what you're experiencing is a bug and not one of the game's mechanics. Yes, a quick seed gives your first Pokemon three extra turns on the first turn you eat it in the original game, and the extra turns of partners are interrupted by enemy Pokemon turns. I don't know why it was made to be like this, but it is.
Also, while in manual mode, the "farewell" and "leader" options intentionally do nothing. And when you swap places with a Pokemon which moves before you in the turn order, it may feel weird when its turn gets skipped, but it'll make sense when you think about it.

SOFTWARE, RESOURCES & SPECIAL THANKS
Spoiler:
Shoutouts to:
- the no$gba debug build
- VisualBoyAdvance and its cheat finder
- WindHex
- Flips
- Notepad
- Advanced Rescue Team ROMhack devs
- Shiny Quagsire for an introduction to ARM&Thumb assembley
- gbadev.org for their ARM&Thumb operation code reference sheets and manuals
- skilldrick for his tutorial on the NES's assembley language
- the Super Mario 64 Romhacking community for inspiring me, via SimpleFlips, and Tarek701's assembly tutorial
- braycon for getting me interested in hacking again
- and nurimep on YouTube for his extremely vague and incomplete tutorial on assembly hacking with no$gba, which helped me just as much as everything else.

Cipnit

Seen 4 Days Ago
Posted October 4th, 2019
6 posts
285 Days
This might just be the next big step in ROM hacking.
Thanks for the compliment! I hope so.
I just updated the hack with basically every major bug I found fixed, and included a second version that changes modes with a button combo so enter can be used for its original function. FeraligatrMaster's question has a different answer now - in order to fix a bug, I had to add code which changes leaders to the first Pokemon whenever a partner's attack is executed, so I doubt enemy Pokemon can be recruited by anyone other than the leader now.
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
58 posts
272 Days
This is extremely neat! I also appreciate that you gave the info of the changes you made so other people can use it in their own hack if they wanted to (if anyone ever gets around to that). I can definitely see a difficulty hack that gives this as a feature to even the playing field. I wonder if much work would be needed to get this working in Sky too (heck, even the 3ds games, depending on if the games are still similar enough).

Cipnit

Seen 4 Days Ago
Posted October 4th, 2019
6 posts
285 Days
There is a hack like that already, called Advanced Rescue Team. I've got a patch in my hack's download files that can be applied to a ROM which already has the current version of ART applied to it, if you're interested. The next version of the ART hack is going to come with my code already included, along with some other assembly code I'm working on.
Also I really want to make a version of this for EoS one day. How the game stores Pokemon's data in dungeons is really similar to RRT, but from what I've seen, the game's engine is completely different - hopefully it's intuitive.
Advertiser Content