• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Keeping TMs After Use

The Shiny Ho-Oh

Golden Bird
Years
I've been working on my ideal FireRed game for a while now, and I've implemented a ton of stuff from here that is absolutely amazing and makes the game feel so much more fresh, but one of the things I've been thinking about is saving TMs like in the new game. I have no experience scripting for Pokemon, but I do have a background in game programming, so bare with me here.

There is a function for checking what type of item you use. You could say that if the item used is a TM, after you use one, and it is not an HM, the game would "quietly" add one to your bag. I recently implemented the BW2 Repel System from Pokecommunity, so I know checking items and removing them from the bag/(adding them to the bag) shouldn't be much problem, if you can stop it from displaying "picked up TM##", you should be able to get the basic idea of keeping TMs in the game.

Thoughts?

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Sorry, but the locations that the person found were in Fire Red 1.1

Since everyone uses FR v.1, I found the locations in that verison.
They are at 0x124EA0 and 0x124F6C.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 8, 2021
So, I notice that all these things are exclusively for Fire Red (as always, because everyone hates Emerald apparently). Does anyone know how I would go about doing this in Emerald?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Sorry, but the locations that the person found were in Fire Red 1.1

Since everyone uses FR v.1, I found the locations in that verison.
They are at 0x124EA0 and 0x124F6C.

Actually, everyone always uses FireRed 1.0, not 1.1. Not entirely sure why this is, but if you look around the site, you'll see plenty of threads for fixing the bugs left by Game Freak in 1.0. Reason this matters is that 1.0 and 1.1 have differing locations for many of their structures and only the 1.0 locations are known.

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
Years
Hey great job! How did you remove the quantity?
This'll be great for Fire Red too.

Wouldn't happen to be the Mystery Bytes would it?
I just tried it. Setting the first Mystery to 1 removes the quantity, but it sticks the little HM icon in the start of the name and it overlaps with the "No. XX" text. Also, it makes it so that the TM can't be held (which is a good thing, IMO).

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2020
There seems to be a bug in this method, as soon as you close the the TM case the tm vanishes. It will thus let you use the one tm on multiple pokemon but it can still only be used once.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
I just tried it. Setting the first Mystery to 1 removes the quantity, but it sticks the little HM icon in the start of the name and it overlaps with the "No. XX" text. Also, it makes it so that the TM can't be held (which is a good thing, IMO).

I thought that would be the case, because I noticed that HMs all were mystery 1, and TMs 0.

What I may try and do is find the ASM that loads that mystery value stuff, and depending on whether its an actual HM or not, not display the HM logo.

If I do get around to doing that (and if it works) I suppose I'll put it over here.

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
Hey great job! How did you remove the quantity?
This'll be great for Fire Red too.

Wouldn't happen to be the Mystery Bytes would it?
it is actually.

I used the GBA Item Editor. I actually did this months ago, but without actually using a hex editor and changing a few bytes, the TM would not be considered reusable.

I compared TM50 to HM01 to see what was different between them. A TM uses the Mystery Bytes 0 0, while the HM uses 1 0. I changed all the TMs to 1 0 to see what would happen, and I got what I did in the video. It doesn't show the quantity.

However, you can still buy more than one TM in the game, through the Poké Marts and the Game Corner.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
it is actually.

I used the GBA Item Editor. I actually did this months ago, but without actually using a hex editor and changing a few bytes, the TM would not be considered reusable.

I compared TM50 to HM01 to see what was different between them. A TM uses the Mystery Bytes 0 0, while the HM uses 1 0. I changed all the TMs to 1 0 to see what would happen, and I got what I did in the video. It doesn't show the quantity.

However, you can still buy more than one TM in the game, through the Poké Marts and the Game Corner.

Yeah the mystery byte is the same as in Fire Red.
The only difference is that 01 puts an HM logo in front for fire red.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
I have tried expanding the TM's but so far I have had no luck. Repointing and expanding simply doesn't work... I think

Back