• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Hack of the Year] Nomination Round Results - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
It hasn't won yet, this was just the nomination process. However, I think it'd be a grave injustice if it didn't win it from the votes here, especially compared to the two hacks it's up against. (Both are good but I think an extremely popular original hack deserves it over two remakes).
Oh yeah, I did not make myself clear =)
LP also did not win nomination process yet so I think it will win with those votes.

LP has actually is still being worked on, having been picked up by other members of the community.
But you can say that it's no more LP made by Wesley but remake by the other members.
And it's just bug fixing. The full-fledged is what is released right now.

Years
yea my bad it isn't over, but yet have you people that say that LP has no storyline at all played the game itself?Seriously it isn't the best storyline in PC but imo I think that it still deserves a place in top 3.Storyline in Cutlerine's Snakewood sure deserves first place.And all the effort Wesley put on LP, sure there are many people who doesn't like it.I believe most members in PC have played LP and in graphic appeal, engaging gameplay and stuff like that it is first by far.

marcc5m

what
Years
yea my bad it isn't over, but yet have you people that say that LP has no storyline at all played the game itself?Seriously it isn't the best storyline in PC but imo I think that it still deserves a place in top 3.Storyline in Cutlerine's Snakewood sure deserves first place.And all the effort Wesley put on LP, sure there are many people who doesn't like it.I believe most members in PC have played LP and in graphic appeal, engaging gameplay and stuff like that it is first by far.

Would you care to explain this so called "story" to me then?

Either way saying that Light Platinum has one of the best stories out of any hack is preposterous. Half the hacks in Progressing Hacks that never got any votes for anything have stories far better.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013

Everyone put effort in their hacks, but Wesley's story is... bland, to put it nicely.
His story was mostly a mixed rehash of the typical Pokemon story, except instead of adding more meat, he repeatedly used the climax over and over again. It was always Team Steam stealing an artifact, and later resurrecting a legendary Pokemon, and then getting their plans foiled, and repeat. Though I have to admit, Wesley's artistic skills are stellar, and unrivaled by almost all ROM-hackers in the site.

I'm also surprised by how other hacks managed to get in the top of certain categories. I am not naming any, but how exactly did a hack that repeatedly reused slightly edited default maps got into the top three in mapping?

Though, good luck for WesleyFG, diegoisawsome, and LaZ.

Years
Yes actually, isn't the main goal of hacking to create a Pokemon game.Either similar to the already existing games from Gamefreak ,or otherwise you own style.I agree that LP in some point got really boring because of the continious similar battles of Team Steam but there are also other things people should notice.Except from the fact that Wesley managed to place if not every,most of the legendaries in this game and 2 regions.The graphic appeal, the custom sprites, all pokemon from next generations and the Pokemon Championship itself at the end of the game,I believe that LP outweighs most of hacks.This is my opinion and any criticism is welcomed, as long as it isn't an arguement.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I don't want to start an off-topic going discussion here but I just reply to this one issue here and there we go.

Yes actually, isn't the main goal of hacking to create a Pokemon game.Either similar to the already existing games from Gamefreak ,or otherwise you own style.
Not really. Rom Hacking is game modification which can be achieved in several different ways. If someone had the knowledge and interest to do so, he could for example modify the battle system so that during battles, Speed would not determine which pokemon will be able to react first. Instead, it could work like Active Time Battle system introduced in several RPG games.

Almost everything is possible, not just re-creating a region in the ways similar to that of Gamefreak. There is no standard definition on what hacking should mean related to hacking pokemon games.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Saltsas is the hero of our time, a watchful guardian, a silent champion. He is unrivaled in his quest for being a simple spriter and Beta Tester.

marcc5m

what
Years
Yes actually, isn't the main goal of hacking to create a Pokemon game.Either similar to the already existing games from Gamefreak ,or otherwise you own style.I agree that LP in some point got really boring because of the continious similar battles of Team Steam but there are also other things people should notice.Except from the fact that Wesley managed to place if not every,most of the legendaries in this game and 2 regions.The graphic appeal, the custom sprites, all pokemon from next generations and the Pokemon Championship itself at the end of the game,I believe that LP outweighs most of hacks.This is my opinion and any criticism is welcomed, as long as it isn't an arguement.

Wait so all I have to do is have fancy tiles and a tournament in my hack and it is instantly the best hack ever!? Wow, I wish I hadn't put so much time into thinking of a good storyline and interesting new features, all I need is a tournament!

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Wait so all I have to do is have fancy tiles and a tournament in my hack and it is instantly the best hack ever!? Wow, I wish I hadn't put so much time into thinking of a good storyline and interesting new features, all I need is a tournament!

Now you're getting it! :)(:

Years
I never said I am good at rom hacking or anything. I express my opinion as a GAMER and not as a HACKER. Those two have a big difference.This is my opinion and thanks for the many replies and answers.

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Huh. Didn't see that coming.

*looks around shiftily and takes a bow*

I'm happy lots of people enjoyed LP and that I could aid in that process, but geez, there are lots of more deserving people and hacks out there. xD

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
I never said I am good at rom hacking or anything. I express my opinion as a GAMER and not as a HACKER. Those two have a big difference.This is my opinion and thanks for the many replies and answers.
At a gamer's stand point, because I am a gamer too, games aren't suppose to be all about graphics (and a tournament?Really?In Light Platinum that shouldn't really count as a tournament but a few decent battles.), games are suppose to have an enjoyable plot. To be honest, I don't care if the game was made with a potato but has a good plot and is enjoyable, I would get hooked on it (Like old Tomb Raider Games, but this is a Pokemon forum so I'll shut up about that).

I am not saying any of the hacks have a bad storyline, I'm just saying that only enjoying a game for graphics is kind of bad to me. I am not saying they have good storylines either. To be honest, they could be a little better.

Please just promise me on one thing people, I can't hack anymore, I forgot how, but please, at least make a decent hack for me. Please? xD

Last edited:
Years
At a gamer's stand point, because I am a gamer too, games aren't suppose to be all about graphics (and a tournament?Really?In Light Platinum that shouldn't really count as a tournament but a few decent battles.), games are suppose to have an enjoyable plot. To be honest, I don't care if the game was made with a potato but has a good plot and is enjoyable, I would get hooked on it (Like old Tomb Raider Games, but this is a Pokemon forum so I'll shut up about that).

I am not saying any of the hacks have a bad storyline, I'm just saying that only enjoying a game for graphics is kind of bad to me. I am not saying they have good storylines either. To be honest, they could be a little better.

Please just promise me on one thing people, I can't hack anymore, I forgot how, but please, at least make a decent hack for me. Please?

Yea I know maybe the way that I expressed the things that I was(and stiil do) thinking was a little off. Indeed in a game(and in this forum a Pokemon game) the plot and storyline comes first.The tournament was just a nice add-on and I don't really understand all this mess about the thing I said about the tournament.As i was saying, the graphics (and the tournament itself provides a final goal) are the little thing that makes this hack special.Cheers and thanks for the many replies :D
and btw, I recently restarted LC as I was stuck after beating Red for second time, and this time I must say that I'm quite impressed by the progress Laz has made. :D

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Please just promise me on one thing people, I can't hack anymore, I forgot how, but please, at least make a decent hack for me. Please?

Forgetting how to hack doesn't mean you can't hack. Re-learn, use new programs or simply try and try again.

Also, hackers don't dedicate hacks to you, they dedicate it to themselves. Different hackers respond to criticism differently, but their hack is made with their best interests in mind. It's up to hackers to decide if their hack is decent or not. If voters think these awesome hacks are awesome, so be it.

In my personal opinion, Light Platinum had outstanding maps. Not just in graphics, but in design. It also had a brilliant variety of Pokemon and a challenging difficulty. Only thing is, I couldn't get the story, seemed too generic. Normally I care more about story than anything, but Light Platinum's brilliance makes an exception here. Like I said though, just my opinion.

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
I would tend to disagree here, quality of a hack is not subjective. Just as quality of a well made car, shelf, ect. You can see cracks, you can see holes, flaws can be seen. You can not say, "I meant for those flaws to be there". Quality can be measured, and not by popularity but with the comparison of other quality hacks, or even the other games.
If 1000 people like "something" that has no quality, does that popularity somehow give that "thing" quality?

If you want to discuss the quality of a hack, the poster should show positive examples, good graphics, good story, ect. But to say something is good based on how many people like it is preposterous. All that sais is that there are a lot of people whom, have no taste, and don't know/understand/comprehend quality.

Years
It's really a shame that Snakewood isn't in the top 3.. even though it had just the original graphics, It had one of the best story lines, a interesting way to progress the game that suited the story-line and there isn't just a hack that is so different from actual "Pokemon"
as Snakewood

Light Platinum isn't a bad game but it's quite one sided and that can will be boring even the progress, I didn't even mention the scripts "In every new city"
Random guy 1 says:Did you know the gym leader uses ... Pokemon you should use... and ... Pokemon to beat him.
Random guy 2 says: I don't know you but something tells me that you need this Rare Pokemon which is rare and only few trainers get to train him.

It's kinda weird that 2 different crystal remakes made it in the top 3 are they really different from each other or what?

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
The two Crystal remakes are different in that the hackers' goals differ. I could be wrong, but I think one of them wants to make an enhanced remake with new features, while the other concentrates on authenticity, basically making a direct remake not an enhanced one.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
The two Crystal remakes are different in that the hackers' goals differ. I could be wrong, but I think one of them wants to make an enhanced remake with new features, while the other concentrates on authenticity, basically making a direct remake not an enhanced one.
More like one wants to make an HGSS demake featuring self-inserts, but you're correct.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I haven't played any of them, but I will say congrats to the hacks the were nominated!
It must be very fulfilling to see your hack nominated among others for a larger competition like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back