• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
In fact, I started Sex Ed at around age 9 or 10. Well, Grade 4. I can't remember exactly, but I do remember starting in Grade 4. There have been classes of Sex Ed each year ever since, even this year in Grade 11!
You have to take sex ed every year?!?!
That to me seem highly unnecessary.

At my school we had sex ed in our sophomore year of high school, but I think it should be introduced in middle school. But I think once a semester in 6th grade, and a semester in 9th/10th grade would be sufficient. I forgot to mention I went to a private middle school, so our curriculum was different.

If a section/chapter on homosexual sex education is too "confusing" or "inappropriate" for middle school, then the section/chapter should at least be in the high school sex education courses. Although I would argue that at least some information about homosexual sex education should be introduced in middle school.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 19, 2012
On the matter of sexual education, 10 years old is a fine age to start teaching. Personally, I was aware of who I'm attracted to as early as first grade.

As for sex being taboo, I don't think it is. Perhaps it's just where you live. I have no problems talking about it, but talking about it is a waste of time. It's better to just do it.
It's a matter of how well you incorporate it into a conversation that truly matters. It also depends on the individuals.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
Years
With the issue of sex education, I think it should be taught for at least a month's worth of classes (can be spread out)
I think there should be actual education other than "don't do it". Talk about the diseases, maybe teach them the prices for having a child during high school/college, and even teach about proper protection.

I had two schools with sex ed. One in a conservative area where they taught us about STD's, scared us, and said "don't do it"
The school I'm at now took a quarter of a semester to make teach us everything.

In my opinion, it shows! It is insanely taboo to have a baby, and there is no need for multiple "parenting and child care classes", where at my old school it lived as the oppsiite.

Now on the topic of sex itself. I like talking about it, I enjoy the subject of it, I love being open about it. I've never had sex myself, but I don't really care if I do or don't. I guess to some people being insanely open with sex and fetish's is rather taboo for them, but for me I enjoy it. Its more commonly for this to happen during online chats with friends I meet on forums than irl.
I think there are a lot of people who want to be really open and just share what they think and how the feel.

I hope this post isn't "too bad". I know this is a touchy topic and a PG Forum. I'll understand if the post gets removed *-*

Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2012
I love Italian T.V because their game shows have woman in tank tops and water...

Now here in America...well.....lol i think we know how the FCC operates.

But yet we can watch murder simulations (CSI, Criminal Minds) Yet you can show dry humping...As an American I'll admit our country is very violent the facts are there so maybe all the violent things are seen as not as harmful...I see America like Tool's Vicarious song details.

Haguri

Wish Maker Haguri
Years
I have no idea where to start here, so I suppose I'll start with the "no sex before marriage" issue. I do believe that some young people have mixed emotions and at certain ages shouldn't be doing things, because they truly are unsure, BUT I would say if you love someone and plan to marry them it isn't an issue.

I do not favor the idea of messing around with sex, I do believe it is something that is meant to happen out of love and care, and occasionally lust is thrown in there, we can't deny that. Though to not discuss something that as stated, is natural, seems stupid.

Pre-Teen kids learn about drugs, and terrorism even earlier in life.(This second part refers to all kids/teens) They see parents fighting sometimes, they see many mature things that this world tries to shelter them from. they can not be sheltered forever. I'm not a parent, so I do not understand why they keep children so sheltered, but sex isn't something I would keep my child sheltered from for too long.

Naturally they will become curious when they hear it from peers, and I would think that a parent would much rather have their own child hear it from them rather than another peer, or in their first sex-ed class.

The age thing, I think that's stupid in so many ways. In America the adult age is 18, and an adult is not allowed to have sex with a minor. I understand that it is considered rape, but is 1-3 years really that bad? We see it in every day life, couples normally ARE 1-5 years apart, heck sometimes even 10. No I'm not saying it's right for a man to be with a 10 year old nor woman, but I am saying 15/16-18 shouldn't be so highly shunned. Half the time these 18 year olds are in the same school as the 15 year old. They can't help it if they TRULY fall in love and they end up together. No, they do not have to have sex and I realize that, but I think the age 21 should be the legal man/woman age, it is when you can buy alcohol here. Getting back on track, I realize they do not have to have sex, but what if they did, and were CAUGHT? Then of course most likely the parent/parents of the minor would press rape charges and they would be separated? I hardly see how that's fair.

-Grayscale-

яιѕєη ƒяσм тнє ๔єα๔...
Years
Just a few sentences to share on here:

I am sixteen, and my parents have never discussed sex with me before. I didn't know how babies were made until I turned ten. I am still not aware how the whole 'sex' thing works(god it's ****ing embarrassing), and health class doesn't teach you anything. I haven't learned anything whatsoever from school classes or parents.

Any knowledge I have is from friends, and my friends aren't and never have been perverts so I guess my entire life I've been screwed figuring out things myself. Taboo isn't a big enough word for it with certain families.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Just a few sentences to share on here:

I am sixteen, and my parents have never discussed sex with me before. I didn't know how babies were made until I turned ten. I am still not aware how the whole 'sex' thing works(god it's ****ing embarrassing), and health class doesn't teach you anything. I haven't learned anything whatsoever from school classes or parents.

Any knowledge I have is from friends, and my friends aren't and never have been perverts so I guess my entire life I've been screwed figuring out things myself. Taboo isn't a big enough word for it with certain families.

You should google it and self-educate if you want to be more knowledgeable. Also, someone doesn't have to be a pervert in order to be knowledgeable about this issue, haha.

-Grayscale-

яιѕєη ƒяσм тнє ๔єα๔...
Years
You should google it and self-educate if you want to be more knowledgeable. Also, someone doesn't have to be a pervert in order to be knowledgeable about this issue, haha.
Oh yeah I already have many times lmao. And I suppose that last sentence is also true.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Oh yeah I already have many times lmao. And I suppose that last sentence is also true.

haha, actually I might say that many perverts lack knowledge about safety procedures and statutes that pertain to sexual activity. XD

I don't know exactly how to define a "pervert". But I think it's kinda subjective in it's connotation.

Rudy

give us a song ex boyfriend
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
mfw i love talking about sex with others
i mean i have problems with talking about it to people under 16 since thats the legal age here but when people talk to me about it i am ALL OVER THAT
it isnt a bad a subject as people say it is. it's natural to have Urges like it, and anything sexual is just Natural. it's ok if you dont like mentioning it, but when you get offended when others like to talk about it then youre just a buzzkill.
honestly if people could just wear signs that said 'talk to me about wanking' i'd be their best friend just so i'd have something to talk about lol

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I... think it's kinda worrying when it's all you've got to talk about, in all honesty, lol. But I agree that if people could be more open about it, it'd be a much less awkward topic.

Ofc though a balance needs to be found between talking about it appropriately and just constantly giving tmi.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Yup, know what you mean by that Razorleaf. Had someone I hardly met on another forum who I added and decided to start talking to me over an IM client. Within the first 3 sentences they turned the subject over to wanking.
That's when I was just like: nope, I'm not going to go down that road. I mean bringing it up like that is just unclassy. Yeah sex is natural, but sex is also personal, and people who just met shouldn't use it as their go-to-topic of conversation unless they know the other person.

It stops kinda being about oppenness at that point.. I dunno. It's like.. some people just start saying it either because they want to show off.. or they're just horny teens who can't get it off their mind, and that's when it's just really unappealing. :/ I dunno, maybe it's just me but it turned my opinion of them into a sour one.

Alec Empire

Are you ready to testify?
Years
Because sex is seen as vulgar in a normal conversation, and that kind of conversation usually involves talking about private parts, at times. The reason that it is taboo is probably linked back to the story of Adam and Eve.
A lot of this has to do with religion. Especially Christianity, because it is made into such a vulgar thing within the church. And since Christianity is the most widespread religion, it only makes sense that this philosophy that sex is a huge no-no, socially and pre-marital-wise would spread like a disease.
I think that sexual education should start in about the 4th grade. This is a time when children are starting to develop a little more, and have their own leases on life. Not only that, but there's no point in giving sexual education to 1st, 2nd or 3rd graders.
Sexual Education must be delivered by an adult. If it's a peer, it usually won't be as much of a mature situation, and might even give completely false information. I'm not saying that teens don't know anything about sex(because that is completely false), but they definitely won't know the emotional side of it, after the deed has been done and after you might have a child or become very sexually active.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I think that sexual education should start in about the 4th grade. This is a time when children are starting to develop a little more, and have their own leases on life. Not only that, but there's no point in giving sexual education to 1st, 2nd or 3rd graders.
*thinks*

I think grade four is when sex ed started in my school. If not then, then grade 5. And I went to a Catholic school. The focus then was "where do babies come from" and stuff like personal space at the start. Pictures, diagrams, models. And some "professional" speaker would come in and explain it to us with all her own props.

In grade 7 we started the religious side of it, being a Catholic school. So, stuff like commitment and love and how that's involved. But, the teacher's also allowed anonymous questions so that kids could ask what they want without feeling embarrassed.

I think that was sufficient. Although I don't think the disease part of it wasn't really mentioned till high school.

I don't think you need to cover sexual positions and techniques, treat it more like biology - so I guess that's why it currently has a bit of a hetero slant. It for the "where do babies come from" question. But, I do think they should discuss disease and safe sex for both straight and gay. But, maybe more in a discussion form. A lot of the pictures and diagrams we were shown were to demonstrate stuff like egg fertilization or what those areas look like on the inside. Drawings of gay sex wouldn't serve the same purpose and would probably be met with snickers. So, discuss it... but I don't think you have to go in depth with it because there isn't so much of a specific knowledge (its more of an awareness) to be gained from knowing exactly how it works.

And at the same time, I think parents should have control over what and when their child is exposed to at school. Have consent forms. In the early years (before we even started having formal sex ed in school), our school decided to invite some people in to perform some play about abduction and rape. We were really young. I think it may have been grade 1 or 2. So, my parents kept me out of that presentation on the basis of I was still young and innocent and believing in magic and Santa Claus and that age I'm always with them anyway. I didn't need quite that dose of reality just yet. I remember going back to school after that and all the rest of my classmates were like traumatized for a week.

Alec Empire

Are you ready to testify?
Years

*thinks*

I think grade four is when sex ed started in my school. If not then, then grade 5. And I went to a Catholic school. The focus then was "where do babies come from" and stuff like personal space at the start. Pictures, diagrams, models. And some "professional" speaker would come in and explain it to us with all her own props.

In grade 7 we started the religious side of it, being a Catholic school. So, stuff like commitment and love and how that's involved. But, the teacher's also allowed anonymous questions so that kids could ask what they want without feeling embarrassed.

I think that was sufficient. Although I don't think the disease part of it wasn't really mentioned till high school.

I don't think you need to cover sexual positions and techniques, treat it more like biology - so I guess that's why it currently has a bit of a hetero slant. It for the "where do babies come from" question. But, I do think they should discuss disease and safe sex for both straight and gay. But, maybe more in a discussion form. A lot of the pictures and diagrams we were shown were to demonstrate stuff like egg fertilization or what those areas look like on the inside. Drawings of gay sex wouldn't serve the same purpose and would probably be met with snickers. So, discuss it... but I don't think you have to go in depth with it because there isn't so much of a specific knowledge (its more of an awareness) to be gained from knowing exactly how it works.

And at the same time, I think parents should have control over what and when their child is exposed to at school. Have consent forms. In the early years (before we even started having formal sex ed in school), our school decided to invite some people in to perform some play about abduction and rape. We were really young. I think it may have been grade 1 or 2. So, my parents kept me out of that presentation on the basis of I was still young and innocent and believing in magic and Santa Claus and that age I'm always with them anyway. I didn't need quite that dose of reality just yet. I remember going back to school after that and all the rest of my classmates were like traumatized for a week.
Yeah, I agree with the idea that students should be taught about how the baby is made, and then more technical stuff about disease and different forms of sex.
I think that kids should be taught that two men can't have a child together, and homosexuality(in-depth should be taught in the 6th or 7th(because this is a time when kids would probably start questioning their sexuality).
I think that the abduction and rape presentation in your school was a good idea. Kids should know that stuff to protect themselves from that innocence being taken from them, because it damages their mental sex life forever.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I think that the abduction and rape presentation in your school was a good idea. Kids should know that stuff to protect themselves from that innocence being taken from them, because it damages their mental sex life forever.
I don't think my parents objection was really the topic, so much as its presentation. I didn't see it, so I don't know the specifics, but at the very least it was some kind of skit involving an abduction and lots of terrified screaming. Just... maybe something a bit too intense for a child at that age. It was more than just "keep away from strangers".

Years
Proper sex education would go pretty far to fix many a problem. Don't like abortion? They'd never be in that position anyways. Don't like health insurance covering the cost of STD medications? Proper sex ed fixes that too. Don't like people dying of AIDS? That's covered too. There's really no excuse not to do it. Proper, unbiased from backwards Catholic thinking, sexual education does society a number of favors.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Proper sex education would go pretty far to fix many a problem. Don't like abortion? They'd never be in that position anyways. Don't like health insurance covering the cost of STD medications? Proper sex ed fixes that too. Don't like people dying of AIDS? That's covered too. There's really no excuse not to do it. Proper, unbiased from backwards Catholic thinking, sexual education does society a number of favors.
Maybe. You could argue that people would have more smarter sex, sure.

But we've got loads of people informed today who still have unprotected sex, not because they don't know any better (although I'd say they're just plain stupid) but because they simply choose to.

Years

Maybe. You could argue that people would have more smarter sex, sure.

But we've got loads of people informed today who still have unprotected sex, not because they don't know any better (although I'd say they're just plain stupid) but because they simply choose to.

Knowing the risks and willingly doing so is different from not knowing the risks and doing so. Especially in lower income areas of the country who wouldn't normally have access to it. You see higher rates of STD's and such in places where contraception & Sex Ed are not readily available.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years

Knowing the risks and willingly doing so is different from not knowing the risks and doing so. Especially in lower income areas of the country who wouldn't normally have access to it. You see higher rates of STD's and such in places where contraception & Sex Ed are not readily available.

Sometimes even in places with access to it, sex ed isn't actually done enough. I know I've had... next to none, lol. "Use a condom and everything is fine <333" is all I've ever really been taught and tbqh I can't see what more there is to it than that. But from some of the things said in this thread it feels like I've missed a whole lot here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back