• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advice for the past and the future

Years
Think back on your life, about your experiences. Think about your successes, your failures and the lessons you have learned. Now let's put those experiences to use. What are one piece of advice that you wish you had been given in the past 5-10 years and one piece of advice you have for the generations following yours. Try to make them different, but feel free to discuss your reasoning behind each and how they do/don't relate to each other or to comment on the ideas of others.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I can't really think of any sort of advice I'd give to my past self or think of something I wish I had been told in the past (not saying I didn't need any, but I just can't think of something is all), but I suppose that if I could give one piece of advice to people in the present and of the future it'd be:

Don't bother with hating other people or holding any animosity towards other people, it's not worth it, it's a waste of time and energy. I don't mean this in a childish, rainbows 'n' sunshine *throws glitter* kind of way, it's just that those things are either at best unnecessary/do nothing, or at worst just....make things worse.

Years
Don't try and please people, you'll never please everyone, and it'll just frustrate those around you.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
oof uhm... lets see

advice i wish i had been given in the last 5-10 years:
a break up is not the end of the world, nor is an argument with a family member. your mental illnesses do not define you as a person.

(im super bad at these give me credit okay)

advice i have for future generations? uhm.. well, relating to my experience/experiences: get help. i know it's hard and very scary, but it will help a lot in the long run. if you have a bad therapist/psychologist the first time, it's okay. there are other and better professional therapists/psychiatrists out there. it's not the be all and end all. im saying this because, as a person who had therapy and a psychiatrist for about 5-6 years (my psychiatrist for about 2 and a half i think), it helps a lot to have a professional who you can vent things to and will not feel judged. they're there to help you and not judge you, if they are a good one. and as someone who cannot currently get help (bc i do not have the income but i will have insurance very soon), please take advantage of when you can. please. it'll help more than you know.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
Forgive people, including yourself

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
"Just relax. It's not personal."

Years
"Hello, younger me. I'm bloody enlightened so listen up, you asshat - stop being negative and argumentative and unappreciative. You have the world. You have your family. Treat them better and stop acting like a Holocaust victim because what you've been through is peanuts. The threats. The anxiety. The self-doubt. It's all fake. So please toughen up a bit before you end up crying in the dark in a backseat and snarling things you don't mean. But don't shut off your emotions either. Just do watercolours or something, you jerkface. And I know that those emotions feel real in the moment, but they're completely faux. What do you expect, anyway? Your brain is going through a complete overhaul. Its all smoke and mirrors right now. Just realize the sheer extent of what you have.

But you're sort of alright. And you're not a retard. All you gotta do is try harder and it'll things will shape out for the better. It's all down to you.

P.S: You're going to want to be an actor and a musician, so please brush up on your singing voice and acting skills. You'll thank me later."

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Years
For my past self: "Don't run away from the bullies. All that will do is make you more anxious when High School comes around. Kids get more aggressive in High School and if you aren't prepared for it, things will only get worse. Stay in contact with your childhood friends. They would have helped you when you were suicidal. Lastly, don't report every incident that happens to you. Bullies hate it when you report them and they'll only retaliate when you do it. Try to reserve reporting for the most severe of incidents."

For the next generation (whatever comes after Gen Z): Try not to overindulge on the Internet. Especially at your age. It's extremely addicting and can warp your views if aren't careful. Moderation is key."

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
For my past self: "Don't run away from the bullies. All that will do is make you more anxious when High School comes around. Kids get more aggressive in High School and if you aren't prepared for it, things will only get worse. Stay in contact with your childhood friends. They would have helped you when you were suicidal. Lastly, don't report every incident that happens to you. Bullies hate it when you report them and they'll only retaliate when you do it. Try to reserve reporting for the most severe of incidents."

For the next generation (whatever comes after Gen Z): Try not to overindulge on the Internet. Especially at your age. It's extremely addicting and can warp your views if aren't careful. Moderation is key."

If it helps to know, High School is very temporary. Everybody who gives you a difficult time likely won't be seen again after graduation. I've only left this year, and as far as social status goes, it becomes strange seeing how none of it mattered at all.

Back