• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Modern Day Music Industry

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Now this is mainly targeted at the hip-hop scene... But it seems nowadays that passion and talent is irrelevant in the music industry, it's all about having a catchy this or that and a hot instrumental. Take hip-hop for example.. It's nothing but drugs, fashion, degrading women, glorifying crime, having fancy cars, and the typical same thing over and over again with wack lyrics. Why are musicians like this famous and in the music industry while artists that have a message with good lyrics get shut down? Basically, why is garbage music what sells, why is stupidity promoted? Is it an agenda to dumb down the younger generations? Thoughts?

Last edited:

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
It's almost as if codifying successful tropes and packaging them in a manner that sells is all that record companies care about. The joke is that you're just as victim to this if that's seriously your view on mainstream hip hop, or mainstream music in general.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
That is my view on mainstream hip hop.. It's filled with talentelss musicians. Not sure if you're aware but the "how bout dat" or "cash me outside" girl got signed to Atlantic Records as a hip-hop artist. Hmm.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
It's almost as if codifying successful tropes and packaging them in a manner that sells is all that record companies care about. The joke is that you're just as victim to this if that's seriously your view on mainstream hip hop, or mainstream music in general.

Just to add to this...

Its very risky for record companies to support different artists that deviate from the industry standard because the companies have to advertise, get the music on radio, in commercials, etc. If people dont like the artist, then the company has wasted millions of dollars. Its much cheaper for record companies to support artists that use conventional lyrics, beats, instrumentals, etc because the companies know people will most likely support them. Its just safer.

Its unfortunate, but if you want a stable music market, you dont want the record companies taking massive risks with every new artist they sign on.

These "talentless" musicians may be deficient in terms of making "good" music (which is often highly subjective), but they do a VERY good job appealing to most listeners of mainstream music. That is there talent.

...and I'm saying this as someone that dislikes most mainstream music for those same reasons you listed. I just recognize that there is a reason for all of this and I have to respect the artists and bands that have managed to appeal to millions of people

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
The debate comes down to authenticity in the end: does the fact that an artist may have been manufactured (regardless of their wishes) make their output devoid of meaning?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
lol you might as well have titled this the "anti-hip-hop thread"

isn't pink floyd just a bunch of old men indulging themselves on guitar and throwing cheesy synths into rock music to try and make it sound more intelligent. Really they're just upset because they can't be an actual cool rock band like led zep, so have to be pretentious and mask their lack of talent with cryptic, non-sensical lyrics and 15+ min song lengths

Hip-hop actually talks about real things from personal experiences. Roger Waters had to write an angst ridden, long winded tale about nazis, hallucinations and metaphorical walls (so deep) just to try and vent his sadness about the death of his father and the fact that he hates everybody; it's tough I know, but there's a lot of absent fathers in hip-hop as well. Maybe if he'd been able to listen to some conscious rap growing up he might have chilled out a bit and realised the world doesn't revolve around him.

Last edited:
Back