• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Touhoumon: Another World Remix

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 17, 2017
Hello there, thank you for updating this rom hack.

I've recently started playing it again and its nice to see its being updated again as this is definitely my favorite rom hack for touhoumon.
I'm going to start a new save with this updated game and hopefull I can still get a Z-mon with the Z-coupons I can trade over from world link. Just a shame they are always shiny, I usually hate their shiny color.. with an exception to ZReimu.
So far reading this threat it seems really nice, and I love how you are adding things from X & Y. Are you also planning on making expshare work a similar way as in X & Y?

PS, if you need help editing the sprites or making new ones I would love to help out. I'm a little bit of a sprite artist (not that amazing but yea).
a character I made from a game I play by editing a sprite from touhoumon:
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/flarezer0/bellona1_zpslbw86wdv.png~original
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/flarezer0/bellona2_zpsopmzmy1u.png~original
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/flarezer0/bellona3_zpshhsdpoeq.png~original

anyways keep up the good work ^^

Small edit:

I've been playing for a little bit now and noticed some things:

While talking to the girl who gives you the world pokedex her sentence stops suddenly when saying "based on Powerfull [blank]"
The Scarlet mansion is missing an S when you enter on the top left screen.

Some little things, I mostly use only one mon at the start, while before I had to grind to beat meiling and remi, now its just a bit too easy. My starter was already lvl 19 from only beating trainers on the road and Meiling had 1 lvl 11 mon. I like that its being rebalanced but I do like it to be somewhat of a challenge.

I'll keep you updated as I play the game ^^

Last edited:

Agastya

Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Good luck "fixing" this game. I've never wanted to even think about this kind of a rebalance project just because my brain fries halfway into trying to think about it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 21, 2020
Just registered here.

Hey there, machomuu.
Maybe you remember me, I was that guy that kept nagging you like two years ago or so about your PokemonXHarvest Moon romhack that you had in the works that I still haven't given up hope on.
I was surprised, when reading that you are still actively hacking roms and stuff.
Even more surprised was I when hearing that you will pick up Another World.

I remember something that always bugged me, when playing through AW.
Before you entered the Forest of Magic, there was Rinnosuke's shop, I believe, which sold various goods (I believe computers, TV's and cell-phones was it, among other things).
Because the items in the FoM always respawned whenever you re-entered this area, I could farm money to afform me one of these suckers - or so I thought.
Because, some of these items were too expensive, meaning that it exceeded the maximum amount of money you could accumulate.
I had like 99.999$ and couldn't get more, but all the items Rinnosuke sold exceeded this amount of money, rendering the shop pretty much useless (I don't remember if he also sold other items that were affordable though).
Not sure if this was just a gimmick or actually intended to be usuable items, but if it was just the former, I think it was kinda lame... what's the point to insert items into a Pokemart that serves no purpose?
Could it be possible to make these items available?
And if it is, what purpose serve them?
And if they don't serve any purpose, can they be turned/replaced into/with something useful?

Also, not sure if this has been fixed (don't remember which version I played back then), but there is also the phenomenon of being able to catch MissingNo (or rather, something with a bunch of question marks as its name) in the FoM using an old rod, I believe.
I would show you a video, but since this is my first post here, I'm not allowed to sent links.

Another point I'd like to address is the cut-off with certain text boxes.
For example, I remember that ''Scarlet Devil Mansion'' didn't fit into the boy properly, so it overlapped the borders of the text box.
This happened with some other instances as well.
Is it possible to extend message boxes?
I've seen someone else accomplishing something similar.

Something minor, but is it possible to change the icons for types so that the words are actually written out?
Like ''Electro'' or ''Illusion''?
I know next to nothing about romhacking, hence my question if changing the icons is a viable option.

As for the sound bug, I MIGHT have an idea what could cause this.
Something similar happened to me when playing through Touhoumon Insane.
There was a custom trainer on various places, with custom music too, iirc.
Whenever the song would play a certain note while me selecting anything that caused a sound effect to happen (which in the battle menu is pretty much anything and everything you CAN do in that moment), the whole game would freeze.
This didn't just happen with this specific trainer, but also with all members of the Elite Four.
It seemed like just certain songs were affected by this bug, I never had any problems with the song that played during wild Touhoumon battles.
Maybe, it is something similar in regards to AW?
That's just a theory though.
I never noticed that AW crashed/froze in my case, but maybe, I was just darn lucky.

Something that might be also need to be revised are certain events.
I liked the idea of collecting these ''magic tomes'' that are scattered all through-out Gensokyo, but it felt kinda pointless as well.
Like, the player never really knew WHY to collect them.
Granted, I stopped playing it at a point, but I atleast made it to Kanto, so I must've been around the middle part of the game.
Following Agastya's guide from back then, I definitely remember that I did NOT reach Dream World nor anything related to the Shinki event.

Also, that infamous Sanae script.
''Looks like we're on a ship.''
There was also the monotonous battle against the ghosts when you're on the way to Hakugyokurou.
While it's kinda nice to be ambushed so unexpectedly, the battles feel all the same, so they are hardly a match for the player, if he prepared good enough beforehand.
I believe there were four battles in a row; making each following battle slightly harder as the previous one (moves and maybe, marginally stats included) would do the trick, though I think balancing this out is kinda sensitive.
But maybe, it just felt to me like this and the battles were too easy.

Rebalancing Marisa in the FoM (yes, it's FoM again) would also be kinda nice; I chose Reimu, and had a hard time beating her, had to grind her like crazy).

As for replacing any puppets, having Maribel/Renko puppets available with all their three forms (chibi, normal and translucent was it, I believe) sounds great. :)
I also like Z forms being replaced with LW forms, but will DLW puppets be available then, too?
But, will Z tickets from World Link still be usable?
I think that the Z forms do serve a purpose, but highly limited to post-game content and competetive play.
I imagine it to be pretty fun to ''duke it out with your friends with uber puppets''.
They would, however, just being able to be caught/received via event at the VERY end, meaning that EVERYTHING you can possibly do in WL has been done.
It would also partially serve as a ''reward'' having beaten the game then, hence why you are able to get Z puppets in one way, or another.

Would it make sense to replace ''Boneka'' with ''Puppet'', or would it be better to leave it as is?
Not that I want to disrespect Aichi for that or anything, I just thought that ''puppets'' would work better in conjunction with other Touhoumon hacks for the sake of consistency.
Also, most people would probably wonder what a ''Boneka'' exactly is.

Also, I believe Aichi was in the process of working on ''Yukari's Island'' (I believe this was an island either south or north of the Hakurei Shrine), but later mentioned in an update that he won't finish this, and that fans can finish it, if they want to.
However, it has been years since I've played AW, so it might be best to ask Aichi himself, unless he addresses this point by himself.

These are just a few points I noticed and felt like pointing out.
Pretty sure I forgot something, but I believe these are already more than enough points that I addressed.
I'm not entirely sure myself how much use these aforementioned points of me have for you to be taken into consideration, but these are some things that irked me about the things in AW, aside from what people previously mentioned before, or what you've already fixed by now.
I think that Touhoumon: Another World has great potential and I'm very happy to see that someone picked it up to fix it.
I hope I didn't sound like a douche here, that was not my intention.
If you consider any of my suggestions or not is totally up to you, of course.

Anyways, good luck with that, I'll keep an eye out for future updates. :)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Some little things, I mostly use only one mon at the start, while before I had to grind to beat meiling and remi, now its just a bit too easy. My starter was already lvl 19 from only beating trainers on the road and Meiling had 1 lvl 11 mon. I like that its being rebalanced but I do like it to be somewhat of a challenge.
Oh, oh dear. Level 19, really? Huh. Well that's not good. I'm going to need to retest from the start and see what level I am when I get there...

...Level 19? Hell, that dwarfs even the pre-edited team of Remilia. Did you use any other Boneka? And who was your starter?

Also, in regarding XY's EXP Share...I've been considering it. Somewhat. As it stands, what I would like to do more than anything is integrate XY- or rather, BW's EXP system (the dynamic experience system) because it makes leveling weaker boneka a lot less of a chore, and more, it gives me greater control over what level boneka will be when (so under/overleveled Pokemon won't be too much of a problem) giving me a clearer view of what the difficulty curve will be. The big problem is I have absolutely no idea how to do this. There's absolutely no documentation on the matter (and oh, have I looked) and I've seen few hacks that actually have it. The most I've found is Jambo saying that it's pretty complicated, which...doesn't inspire much confidence.

With that in mind, and though I hate to bold, anyone with any info or advice on the matter, please post. It would be really helpful for me not just in Another World, but in general. But that's another thing. As much as I would love to give the player control over the difficulty, EXP Share might make things too easy. It's optional, but the challenge touhoumon tries to present might be made redundant by its introduction. The Gen V Exp system should be much more effective.

Just registered here.

Hey there, machomuu.
Maybe you remember me, I was that guy that kept nagging you like two years ago or so about your PokemonXHarvest Moon romhack that you had in the works that I still haven't given up hope on.
Neither have I, actually. I haven't forgotten about it and still think it has potential, but I also have a lot of hacking ideas in mind. Time'll tell what'll happen, but I do hope I can get around to it.

I remember something that always bugged me, when playing through AW.
Before you entered the Forest of Magic, there was Rinnosuke's shop, I believe, which sold various goods (I believe computers, TV's and cell-phones was it, among other things).
Because the items in the FoM always respawned whenever you re-entered this area, I could farm money to afform me one of these suckers - or so I thought.
Because, some of these items were too expensive, meaning that it exceeded the maximum amount of money you could accumulate.
I had like 99.999$ and couldn't get more, but all the items Rinnosuke sold exceeded this amount of money, rendering the shop pretty much useless (I don't remember if he also sold other items that were affordable though).
Not sure if this was just a gimmick or actually intended to be usuable items, but if it was just the former, I think it was kinda lame... what's the point to insert items into a Pokemart that serves no purpose?
Could it be possible to make these items available?
And if it is, what purpose serve them?
And if they don't serve any purpose, can they be turned/replaced into/with something useful?
The store does have a purpose. It sells the VS. Seeker in vanilla AW, and I imagine in Gensokyo Scenario it was intended to sell the Bicycle and other useful items at some point. So what am I going to do? Ah...well, I did like that it sold what was in the store and, by extension, what he would be selling. It's mostly novelty and doesn't really have any negative effect on the game...but now that you mention it, I could do something with him. Currently, he sells a PC, a Television, and a Cellphone. What I could do is keep their names (since Rinnosuke doesn't know too much about them, himself), drop their prices, and make them functional items that share a similar characteristic. Specifically, the Television would be the Teachy TV, the Cellphone would be the Fame Checker (possibly, this might require too much micromanagement to be worth the effort), and the PC...possibly a portable PC...maybe. I dunno these are just ideas. I'll give him a once over and see what I can do with his inventory.

Another point I'd like to address is the cut-off with certain text boxes.
For example, I remember that ''Scarlet Devil Mansion'' didn't fit into the boy properly, so it overlapped the borders of the text box.
This happened with some other instances as well.
Is it possible to extend message boxes?
I've seen someone else accomplishing something similar.
Yeah, same with the Road of Reconsideration. I've been thinking about seeing what I could do, especially since, mostly in the case of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, I can't shorten the name since it just won't work. Enlarging the box is my best bet...and really, my only one. It's about all I can do.

Something minor, but is it possible to change the icons for types so that the words are actually written out?
Like ''Electro'' or ''Illusion''?
I know next to nothing about romhacking, hence my question if changing the icons is a viable option.
Eh? Another World is based on 1.5, so it will use vanilla Pokemon types. As it stands, I don't really see a need to change those.

As for the sound bug, I MIGHT have an idea what could cause this.
Something similar happened to me when playing through Touhoumon Insane.
There was a custom trainer on various places, with custom music too, iirc.
Whenever the song would play a certain note while me selecting anything that caused a sound effect to happen (which in the battle menu is pretty much anything and everything you CAN do in that moment), the whole game would freeze.
This didn't just happen with this specific trainer, but also with all members of the Elite Four.
It seemed like just certain songs were affected by this bug, I never had any problems with the song that played during wild Touhoumon battles.
Maybe, it is something similar in regards to AW?
That's just a theory though.
I never noticed that AW crashed/froze in my case, but maybe, I was just darn lucky.
Well, the problem here isn't so much that the game freezes, it's that the music stops altogether. This should be a problem with the originally inserted ASM. I've been playing around with Jambo's Music Hack but haven't managed to insert it and also make it play nice with AW, yet, but we'll see.

Something that might be also need to be revised are certain events.
I liked the idea of collecting these ''magic tomes'' that are scattered all through-out Gensokyo, but it felt kinda pointless as well.
Like, the player never really knew WHY to collect them.
Granted, I stopped playing it at a point, but I atleast made it to Kanto, so I must've been around the middle part of the game.
Following Agastya's guide from back then, I definitely remember that I did NOT reach Dream World nor anything related to the Shinki event.
The story's gonna get some revision. The core's the same, but it'll give some reason as to why the MC would go back and forth between Gensokyo and the Human World at all (since, originally, the player gets to Gensokyo by accident and is both unable to return home and also has amnesia. However, after the Gensokyo Scenario part of the game, you can just go back. Granted, you do come back to Gensokyo a few times later, but it's never really clear why you are or when you should. Basically, I'm going to be integrating the Gensokyo Scenario plot into Kanto so that it doesn't feel like you're going from a Touhou game to Vanilla Fire Red with Touhou characters and back again. I don't want either one to feel like a detour, essentially..

Rebalancing Marisa in the FoM (yes, it's FoM again) would also be kinda nice; I chose Reimu, and had a hard time beating her, had to grind her like crazy).
Yeah, these two are early game killers (especially Reimu) ZReimu's gone, replaced with Reimu (I believe some party edits, too), and Marisa sees some lower levels and de-evolutions

I also like Z forms being replaced with LW forms, but will DLW puppets be available then, too?
Possibly. It all depends on whether the story demands it, so currently I can't answer this. Well, that, and it also depends on how much space I have.

But, will Z tickets from World Link still be usable?
I think that the Z forms do serve a purpose, but highly limited to post-game content and competetive play.
I imagine it to be pretty fun to ''duke it out with your friends with uber puppets''.
No, for the simple reason that Z forms don't really serve a purpose here. They're still available in Vanilla Another World, World Link, and Marisa's Magic World, and since MMW supports EV training and is compatible with both of those, I feel as if those that want that type of battle can go there. This is largely because, all things considered, Zs fighting each other is generally only really viable when it's just Zs fighting one another, and because of that, it seems as if it serves less value to the game (unless it's specifically engineered for competitive play) than, say, new Boneka. So it's basically a matter of variety over novelty.

Would it make sense to replace ''Boneka'' with ''Puppet'', or would it be better to leave it as is?
Not that I want to disrespect Aichi for that or anything, I just thought that ''puppets'' would work better in conjunction with other Touhoumon hacks for the sake of consistency.
Also, most people would probably wonder what a ''Boneka'' exactly is.
*Sigh*...the problem with this, is that it'll require a bit of repointing. Not so much "Puppet", but "Puppets". Though...I believe Puppets only needs to replace one instance of Boneka, and the rest can be replaced by Puppet...I think. It's really a risk/reward thing. I'll keep an eye out for said risk to see if it can work out without using too much data.

Also, I believe Aichi was in the process of working on ''Yukari's Island'' (I believe this was an island either south or north of the Hakurei Shrine), but later mentioned in an update that he won't finish this, and that fans can finish it, if they want to.
However, it has been years since I've played AW, so it might be best to ask Aichi himself, unless he addresses this point by himself.
That's covered. After finishing the hack, Aichiya released very helpful Technical Documentation that covered the information. For now, the most I'll give away is that we'll see.
Replies are in bold. And you didn't sound rude at all, I'm actually rather thankful that you went out of your way to type so much about this. And the rest of you guys, as well, I'm glad to see people so passionate about the hack. Makes me two parts motivated. One part scared.

Really shows how special a hack you have here, Aichiya.

Good luck "fixing" this game. I've never wanted to even think about this kind of a rebalance project just because my brain fries halfway into trying to think about it.
I know what you mean. To be honest, I still think about everything I have to do and get a bit nervous. Even apart from the rebalancing, there's inserting mons, creating new events and modifying existing ones, rewriting all of the Dex entiries, translating a good deal of dialog, restructuring parts of the story...oh boy. It's definitely not the small project I thought it'd be when I decided to take it up years ago.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 17, 2017
Oh, oh dear. Level 19, really? Huh. Well that's not good. I'm going to need to retest from the start and see what level I am when I get there...

...Level 19? Hell, that dwarfs even the pre-edited team of Remilia. Did you use any other Boneka? And who was your starter?

Also, in regarding XY's EXP Share...I've been considering it. Somewhat. As it stands, what I would like to do more than anything is integrate XY- or rather, BW's EXP system (the dynamic experience system) because it makes leveling weaker boneka a lot less of a chore, and more, it gives me greater control over what level boneka will be when (so under/overleveled Pokemon won't be too much of a problem) giving me a clearer view of what the difficulty curve will be. The big problem is I have absolutely no idea how to do this. There's absolutely no documentation on the matter (and oh, have I looked) and I've seen few hacks that actually have it. The most I've found is Jambo saying that it's pretty complicated, which...doesn't inspire much confidence.

With that in mind, and though I hate to bold, anyone with any info or advice on the matter, please post. It would be really helpful for me not just in Another World, but in general. But that's another thing. As much as I would love to give the player control over the difficulty, EXP Share might make things too easy. It's optional, but the challenge touhoumon tries to present might be made redundant by its introduction. The Gen V Exp system should be much more effective.

I used CMarisa only, like I said I don't really use more then one mon at the start of the game. so her level went up just so fast.

I posted about the EXP-share before I played the game yet, if the leveling goes as fast as with my starter mon, there isn't really a need for it. I don't know if you changed the amount of EXP you get, but it would seem so if my starter already was lvl 19 at that point. I do always fight any trainer I see along the way and beat any mon I find, so that might be part of the problem. I agree that grinding is awful, but I always like fighting trainers and that doesn't feel like a grind at all to me. Even though my starter is really overleved at the moment... Meiling & Remilia right now are weaker than most trainers you meet along the way, I think those should be a bit harder though, for people that skip most trainers and run away from random mon battles: 2 mons around lvl 14 would be nice for Meiling (maybe 1 13 and the other 15.. a bit like a gym battle) same for Remi only add a level to both of her mons since you'll likely level up from beating Meiling anways. When I first played this game I was beaten by Meiling a few times and had to grind, but there is no challange in just beating things to pulp with a overleved mon xD

so far Im still seeing a few text bugs here and there which were also in the AW hack I used before. Like the S missing in Scarlet Devil mansion and bugs like when things are moving pokeballs suddenly get their sprite untill they stop moving. These bugs might be really hard to fix though. I would personally prefer seeing new content over bug changes. The only trainers I really had a problem with in the original rom hack were Marisa and Reimu.

I'm still playing the game and will report how it goes along the way, the game is fun as always and I really hope that you would also consider maybe finishing the story quest and adding some new maps and if you'd want I can help a little bit here and there whatever it may be. I've designed custom maps before and would love to help with things like that as well. I got only one saved though (you can ignore the tree guy, he was kinda a failed test xD): http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/flarezer0/first_zpso5km0kuj.png~original

Replies are in bold. And you didn't sound rude at all, I'm actually rather thankful that you went out of your way to type so much about this. And the rest of you guys, as well, I'm glad to see people so passionate about the hack. Makes me two parts motivated. One part scared.

Don't be scared, its your version of the rom-hack, you can make it just the way you want to make it. Its nice of you to wanting to make the game fun for everybody, but the important thing is that you have fun with it.

Another thing though. It would be amazing if you'd find some way to hold small events like how Aichiya gave away a Zyoumu. I'd love to see some events like the "deoxys" event or the "mew" event (naked winged vivit xD). Oh while I mention the mew event, I had the vivit it gives in world link, but when traded to AW (original version) the backsprite wasnt the right one and showed normal vivit instead, maybe you can change that as well? (if it hasnt been changed yet). Or maybe just give away some kind of special mons which normally wouldnt really be able to be obtained.

PS I really think the rocket girl in the banner in halloween style on this site looks like Marisa XD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 21, 2020
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply, machomuu. :)

Just, two things I'd like to address:

''Eh? Another World is based on 1.5, so it will use vanilla Pokemon types. As it stands, I don't really see a need to change those.''

I wasn't talking about changing the types themselves, but the type icons.
It just looked kinda weird if the words aren't written out properly and say ''ILLUSN'' instead of ''Illusion'' now, right?
But as I said, it's just a minor thing and not necessarily something that needs to be changed, if it would be too much trouble to go through.

Also, about the Z forms, does that mean that we can't get their iDolldex/Touhoudex entries?
If they will be replaced anyways and you filled all dex entries with puppets you'd like to add and there's still space left, would you mind adding CMargatroid and its normal form?
It just has two forms, so no Ex form not LW/DLW.
I was always curious how a CMargatroid would perform against a CAlice.
Besides, CMargatroid is rarely used, haven't seen it in any other Touhoumon hack before.

Also, how will breeding work?
Is it possible to make it so that whatever fills Azumarril's and Snorlax' slot will produce ''correct'' puppets in the eggs?
What I mean is that the kind of puppet that hatches from an egg changes when Azumarill/Snorlax holds a sea incense/lax incense, producing a completely different puppet.
It would be really great if this could be fixed, as I'm pretty sure that this little quirk remains in AW as well.
Would you be willing to change this, machomuu?
Please, others may think it's a minor detail, but I personally think it might be important.
Because, imagine that whatever is in Azurill's/Munchlax' slot could be a Z puppet, or in this case, LW/DLW, if you replaced their slots with different Touhou - could destroy the level curve as well, depending on how early the player would start breeding.

Other than that, I'm totally fine with everything.
Well... I'd be fine if AW got more refined anyways, so I guess I can be glad that someone picked this up to begin with.
If you need help, I can recommend you a place where people made a shitload of ASM stuff and smaller gimmicks that could be handy for you.
I'm mainly referring here to the overlapping text box issue here, but I'm sure the people there know about a lot of things that I'm not familiar with that you could make use of as well. :)

If you're interested on hearing me out, I can write you a PM, if you would like me to.
I'd link you directly from here, but yeah... can't do so atm because of reasons as stated in my previous comment.

Aside from that, I think it's good that you don't feel entirely motivated, but scared as well.
You are being aware that this is a mammoth project here; getting all high-spirited just to be as evenly crushed as you were motivated is a double-edged sword, as it could kill off your mood completely to work on this.
Now, a lot of people here said that they were grateful for you attempting to fix the problems with AW, me included - not really something that makes you feel less worried about not being able to meet these people's expectations.

But not to discourage you, I'm positive you are aware of what you've brought yourself in here. :P
And I think it's a good thing.
Because, alone judging from the current changelog, AW is already a more enjoyable experience.
Heck, if everything goes well, Yukari's Island will be finished too at this rate!
I'm so looking forward what will happen with AW Remix at this point and wish you nothing, but success. :)

Edit: The place I mentioned that could help you with the overlapping text box issues also has romhackers available that, iirc, implemented such an EXP system as you mentioned before.
I may be wrong, but there is so much awesome stuff in there, it's hilarious.
One user even managed to implement a rotating object that while spinning increases and decreases in size in a certain rhythm, for example.
Another one managed further enhance the Day&Night system to periodically updating the tiles.
When RTC is enabled, as soon as it's 7 p.m., the lights are turning on in the houses and the sky grows a little darker.
He has tweaked the D&N system for his own, personal hack, so I believe the version he uses is different from the one that's publically available.
Things like that.
I'm sure that if you register there and ask the people kindly for support, they will lend you a hand and give you some helpful advice as how to proceed.
I definitely know that one of them was able to extend the message boxes, so it should atleast help you with that.
I've registered there like two days ago or so, and the people there are really nice, despite me stating that I'm not really interested in romhacking at all, unless I have certain tools to use. :)

Anyways, it can't hurt to ask them for help; it can just benefit you, and I think that you will need all help you can get pertaining a massive undertaking as fixing AW.

Edit 2: Wait, NOW I get what you were talking about 1.5 types and stuff. Just realized that the typing still lists the normal names for the types as in vanilla Firered, and not the different names aka 1.8.
Nevermind then, my apologies.
Should read stuff more thoroughly.

Edit 3: I just had another idea.
You haven't addressed the point about Hakugyokurou and the ambushing ghosts that you have to battle four times in a row.
Can/Will these battles be revised, so that each following of these four battles is slightly harder than the previous one?

That aside, I had an idea.
Is it possible to use the overworld effect of ''Sweet Scent'' when climbing up the stairs of Hakugyokurou?
When you're halfway done climbing up these stairs, you could script it so that the effect of ''Sweet Scent'' would be visible, just as when a Pokemon uses it outside of a battle in vanilla Firered.
The effect would just have to be looped, so that it looks like a continuous storm of cherry blossoms; seems rather fitting when you get closer and closer to Youm and, more importantly, Yuyuko.

Just a random idea I just had.
Thought I'd mention it, before I forget it again.
It all comes down to how much work it would be to implement, how much it adds to the game, how much free space it consumes, and if it can work out as desired.
What I'm thinking about is something like the sandstorm effect you see in the desert of Pokemon Emerald, but with the textures of ''Sweet Scent''.
But yeah, who knows how viable this idea would be.
Thinking about it a little harder, it doesn't really add that much to the game, does it?
Unless you intend to add future events that could make use of this effect, that is.

What do you think about this idea?
Is it any good? :/

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Holy text that's some text. Well, I will respond, but I need to say two things first.

First up, a question: Does anyone particularly want Sanae as the starter over Sakuya? The reason I ask is because, well, that's how it was in Another World. The reasons I replaced her with Sakuya was because of the three choices, Sanae is the worst off in the Early Gensokyo Portion, mainly because most of the major enemies are the either neutralize her resistance or are simply super-effective against her. Well, that and she was the choice in said place in Gensokyo Scenario. But, on the other hand, she could always be the "Hard" choice, where Reimu would be "Normal" and Marisa "Easy". It'd mean some repointing, but if you guys want I can always change her back.

And second, I'll be posting a patch soon. It isn't too far ahead of my last post regarding updates because I'm focusing on the polish right now. Probably shouldn't, but it's quite a lot. Technically update is "smaller" but there were hours of work put into it so I hope there's at least some merit to releasing it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 21, 2020
Thanks, I'll be looking forward your reply. :)
I have a lot of ideas, and this is my chance to actually influence this romhack in any ways, so I will make use of this by giving my feedback.
About that Hakugyokurou thing with the ambushing ghosts and the lack of information as for how to get to Hakugyokurou to begin with, I brought this up because I felt like that, and after watching someone making a Let's Play of vanilla AW who happened to find the entrance to Hakugyokurou by pure accident and said himself that he didn't even know what was going on after the ghosts attacked him, I thought it would be best to mention this here.

Also, please remove cYoumu having a chance of holding a max repel, when catching one; first off, it doesn't make sense that a puppet would hold an item that is supposed to make them go away (unless masochistic Tenshi, perhaps) and secondly, I'm sure there would be a better fill for this item slot, like, having a 5% chance of a cYoumu holding an item that can boost steel or ghost type moves.
Again, just an idea I had.

To address your points from personal perspective:

1. I was thinking the exact same thing, that the choice of your starter would be like ''choosing between easy, normal and hard mode''.
But then, the difficulty curve would have to be consistent - I doubt that this is easily achieved.
Trainers would have the exact same teams, so I doubt that it's possible to fine-tune a romhack to a degree were the exact same battles feel easier/harder, depending on your starter.

As for the choice of starters, to be honest, I'd prefer having cSanae available as a starter.
cSakuya is fine and all, but yeah... not really a fan of her, and I liked that you could get her in Kanto.

Speaking of which, will we be able to collect all badges and do the Pokemon League in Kanto, too?
And what about the unofficial Johto patch that exists; can this also be applied, if it doesn't crowd the ROM too much?
Not expecting anything here, curiousity gets its best out of me here, that's all.

As for your second point, I will happily except every single update that comes out for AW Remix, no matter how big or marginally the change may appear to be.
Any update that happens aims to improve on AW Remix, why would I complain? :)

Btw, I hope it's fine that I write so much... I managed to write comments on Youtube that were 800+ (!) lines long, I'm not joking.
I doubt I will write that much about AW Remix here in order to not clog up the thread, but yeah... do I have atleast the excuse of delivering input that one could in theory benefit of? ^-^''
It's not just Aichi's romhack, but romhacks in general I'm passionate about; a few years ago, this was even more of a passion for me.
I see romhacks as a possibility to re-experience parts of my childhood, hence why I really like what you're doing here.
If AW Remix also works on real cartridges (I know someone who makes repros and stuff), I will definitely play this with a friend of me. ^-^

But yeah, I'm just rambling at this point, sorry.
My point was: Don't stress yourself, take your time, and do changes step by step in your own, personal rhythm.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
I absolutely want Sanae over Sakuya. Type disadvantage never stopped me. It was worse in 1.8 when Sanae's Faith type let her get trampled on by every single Nazrin on Route 2.

GreyVictory1510

Collector
Years
Woah, I am actually hyped for this. I loved Another World and having it updated makes my week! : 3
I just have one question... The Magic Forest Mechanic of the original... Do you plan to implement it or let it also be?
(Also the question is if you wish to add the Thermal caverns and Touhou 11s setting in general, like it was planned, but that would propably go way over what you planned for now. ^__^")

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Woah, I am actually hyped for this. I loved Another World and having it updated makes my week! : 3
I just have one question... The Magic Forest Mechanic of the original... Do you plan to implement it or let it also be?
(Also the question is if you wish to add the Thermal caverns and Touhou 11s setting in general, like it was planned, but that would propably go way over what you planned for now. ^__^")
The Magic Forest is something I'll deal with later since it's completely out of my jurisdiction. If I did do it, I'd have to jerryrig some type of alternative.

But as for the other parts of the story, that's the plan. I might be doing some combining here and there to make some events even more relevant than they originally were, or make some events come full circle (the Tenshi event comes to mind, in particular).

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 17, 2017
Ah a new patch coming soon, I'll update my file when it comes out ^^

If you want we could talk over skype (or some other kind of text chat) so I can share bugs, ideas and other things to help the game without the need to write walls of text xD (hope im not too intrusive by saying that)

I love this game and I would love to help with anything possible to make it better.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 17, 2017
Small update on my playtrough:

I finished the ghost house to get the first book, Marisa became lvl 27.
Decided I needed a new mon so I caught a flandre behind the scarelet mansion, been using her exclusively since then because I didnt want to overlevel marisa.

Now I reached marisa (boss fight), Flandre is lvl 24 (but still didnt evolve) and marisa is still lvl 27.

I still have a ton of trouble dealing with marisa, Patchuli already deals more than half marisa's HP with a single move and If I get her low enough she uses that sitrus berry..

The moves these mon of marisa have are quite powerfull for their level and water pulse or some water type move on al of them and just 1 shots my flandre because she still hasnt evolved.
When I manage to beat patchuli I have to fight alice, who just one shots me with lunatic or water pulse..

Im having so much trouble just beating the first 2 with mons that have a higher level then her.

Some suggestions:
- Change some of the move set of some the mons from marisa to moves that can actually be learned by these mon at the level they are at, so that these moves matches the player's mon's moves.
- Please make flan's evolution level 18 just like any other mon you can catch in that area, it would have made my fight with marisa a lot easier.

Edit I just managed to defeat her after 12 times. Flan is now lvl 30 (and evolved) and marisa lvl 28 because of that.

Note: Flandre's sprites are still the old sprites could you update them too? :)

Another Edit: there are some things in this game that just confuse me,

(this used to confuse me) I just beat Marisa and now and I would like some hint in the game where to go next (I just happen to know I have to go to reimu in order to go back to my world and go to lavender town to enter the netherworld) but it would be nice if patchi would tell me I need to go to her after reporting back that the book was in the netherworld or at least some tip.

(this still confuses me) Im not completely sure if this is still true as I might have used a outdated game before, but when you get the book from marisa in the netherworld, then fly back to the scarlet mansion, patchi says nothing no event... nothing? What am I supposed to do? (note this was in my previous game save.. Im currently playing a new save and have not reached that point yet)

When I play a game I want to know what Im supposed to do and know if Im on the right track. If beating the league first was the requirement for the event to trigger then I would have liked the game to tell me.. for example...: you go back to patchi with the book, she takes the book and tell the next book is ... saying something along the lines of: "The next book is in some place, where there are a lot of strong mons and youkai running around. Return to me when you have proven yourself strong enough to take this on (beat the league)".

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Some suggestions:
- Change some of the move set of some the mons from marisa to moves that can actually be learned by these mon at the level they are at, so that these moves matches the player's mon's moves.
This is planned. I actually had already done this, but when I restarted (see page 1) I lost the edits which, at the time, hadn't been recorded on a separate text document.

- Please make flan's evolution level 18 just like any other mon you can catch in that area, it would have made my fight with marisa a lot easier.
This I can't do. Flandre evolves at the level she does because of her capabilities, and it'd mess up the game's balance if I just dropped her evolution requirement 12 levels. It'd mean big trouble.

Edit I just managed to defeat her after 12 times. Flan is now lvl 30 (and evolved) and marisa lvl 28 because of that.

Note: Flandre's sprites are still the old sprites could you update them too? :)
That's actually been done for a good while now (since September). I updated all of the sprites I could but I haven't uploaded it yet because bugs. Said I would though and, actually, I can today, but I want to get a few more things in first.

(this used to confuse me) I just beat Marisa and now and I would like some hint in the game where to go next (I just happen to know I have to go to reimu in order to go back to my world and go to lavender town to enter the netherworld) but it would be nice if patchi would tell me I need to go to her after reporting back that the book was in the netherworld or at least some tip.

(this still confuses me) Im not completely sure if this is still true as I might have used a outdated game before, but when you get the book from marisa in the netherworld, then fly back to the scarlet mansion, patchi says nothing no event... nothing? What am I supposed to do? (note this was in my previous game save.. Im currently playing a new save and have not reached that point yet)
Yep, I know. Originally this stumped a lot of people, and there's actually a reason why. Back when Gensokyo Scenario was cancelled, Muendaka was the stopping point. Aichiya picked up the game and bookended this with the battle against Reimu. This confused a lot of people, because a good chunk of AW players reached Muendaka and didn't know where to go next. Aichiya answered this on his site to remedy this, but what I'm planning on doing is having Sakuya come to you as a messenger and tell you to see Patchouli, who will tell you that you can go back to your own realm.

That, or I'm going to play on gamer instinct and take you back to Kanto via a different route. That much I'll make a nice little surprise, though, so you won't get any spoilers from me there.

Also, I'm very really thinking that the Eintei portion will be changed. What I plan to do is make it so that once you cut down the cuttable tree and enter the Bamboo Forest, rather than it being a matter navigating where the movement permissions are different, it'll take you to a more navigable forest area that exits into Eintei and also has Mokou lurking about.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 17, 2017
That's actually been done for a good while now (since September). I updated all of the sprites I could but I haven't uploaded it yet because bugs. Said I would though and, actually, I can today, but I want to get a few more things in first.

Ohh new patch coming very soon, can't wait.
I just reached remui and I just cant beat that Zreimu , will z-mons be removed in this patch? I really hope so, if not I might have to start the game over and use a Zcoupon to get my own to counter those. xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
Glad the Bamboo Forest is being changed. I get that it's supposed to be confusing, but having to constantly rely on Aichiya's online map was a bit of a hassle.
Speaking of Muen... duka? zuka? Are you planning on expanding Gensokyo? It's so bizarre opening the map and seeing so many locations you can never get to.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
^I hope to. The plan for right now is to make your second visit to Gensokyo longer, maybe even move some story events up a bit.

Also, you just reminded me...Muenzuka is mislabeled "Muendaka". Looks like I'll be changing some names, as well.

Ohh new patch coming very soon, can't wait.
I just reached remui and I just cant beat that Zreimu , will z-mons be removed in this patch? I really hope so, if not I might have to start the game over and use a Zcoupon to get my own to counter those. xD
They haven't been removed yet but that won't be an issue. I don't want to just give away why (not like it's all that exciting or anything), but after applying the patch (that, as we speak, I'm working on), return to Muendaka and do some snooping.

Of course, since I've been focusing on Gensokyo so far, past this point is even more unbalanced. This in mind, if the Gensokyo portion's too easy, I can't good and well move on to Kanto yet.

My problem is, though, that focusing on one Boneka vs several has bred different results, basically making the earlygame a cakewalk in the case of the former and variably challenging in the case of the latter. Which has left me a bit confused as to what works and what doesn't.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 17, 2017
^I hope to. The plan for right now is to make your second visit to Gensokyo longer, maybe even move some story events up a bit.

Also, you just reminded me...Muenzuka is mislabeled "Muendaka". Looks like I'll be changing some names, as well.

They haven't been removed yet but that won't be an issue. I don't want to just give away why (not like it's all that exciting or anything), but after applying the patch (that, as we speak, I'm working on), return to Muendaka and do some snooping.

Of course, since I've been focusing on Gensokyo so far, past this point is even more unbalanced. This in mind, if the Gensokyo portion's too easy, I can't good and well move on to Kanto yet.

My problem is, though, that focusing on one Boneka vs several has bred different results, basically making the earlygame a cakewalk in the case of the former and variably challenging in the case of the latter. Which has left me a bit confused as to what works and what doesn't.

Well yes balancing the game is a very hard thing to do, even major game development studios have trouble doing so. I'm trying to help by reporting everything I come across which I find unbalanced or odd and I hope it helps even a bit.

After I see what surprise you have in store for us in Muendaka I'll restart the game again and see if anything changed in the new starting area's and maybe pick up a z-mon while Im at it. ^^

Oh and I nearly forgot, I saw you mentioned starters and if sanae should be added back or not. I really like the current starters, but it would be really amazing if you'd change the fairy we get alongside it. I remember a older touhou game which allowed us to swap characters mid game based on the main char you choose.
Reimu had Yukari, Marisa had Alice and Sakuya had Remilia, I really thiink it would be amazing if you'd make these combinations. Right now I dont even look at the fairy we get and just directly put it in the pc.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Well yes balancing the game is a very hard thing to do, even major game development studios have trouble doing so. I'm trying to help by reporting everything I come across which I find unbalanced or odd and I hope it helps even a bit.
Well it's more the way Pokemon works in comparison to other franchises that gets me.

Namely, the game's never really done well in giving the player a reason to not use only the starter. This dawned on me in Platinum when I decided, for the first time, that I would train a full party of 6 and, as a result, the game was marginally harder than my Pearl playthrough (where I'd used my starter mostly). Since then I don't even use my starters for the sake of challenge, but that's kind of what I'm getting at here.

That's actually a big part of why I want to implement the XY Experience. It prevents over-leveling (to an extent) since the gain is based on your level rather than being completely static. It really helps to keep from having to overcompensate when making a difficulty curve.

After I see what surprise you have in store for us in Muendaka I'll restart the game again and see if anything changed in the new starting area's and maybe pick up a z-mon while Im at it. ^^
Oh, you don't have to do that. Most of my changes from the beginning are in the way of sprites and dex entries. In most cases, which ones I changed will be immediately recognizable, and it's gonna be a tall order. I feel as if I've done around fifty and I still have 250+ to go.

orz

Oh and I nearly forgot, I saw you mentioned starters and if sanae should be added back or not. I really like the current starters, but it would be really amazing if you'd change the fairy we get alongside it. I remember a older touhou game which allowed us to swap characters mid game based on the main char you choose.
Reimu had Yukari, Marisa had Alice and Sakuya had Remilia, I really thiink it would be amazing if you'd make these combinations. Right now I dont even look at the fairy we get and just directly put it in the pc.
Hm...I could consider something like that. I dunno if I'll change the fairy since they aren't particularly powerful but they grant the player early access to Fire, Water, and Electiric (assuming you didn't pick Marisa). Lunachild was actually quite the asset in my playthrough. Flash helped.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 17, 2017
Well it's more the way Pokemon works in comparison to other franchises that gets me.

Namely, the game's never really done well in giving the player a reason to not use only the starter. This dawned on me in Platinum when I decided, for the first time, that I would train a full party of 6 and, as a result, the game was marginally harder than my Pearl playthrough (where I'd used my starter mostly). Since then I don't even use my starters for the sake of challenge, but that's kind of what I'm getting at here.

That's actually a big part of why I want to implement the XY Experience. It prevents over-leveling (to an extent) since the gain is based on your level rather than being completely static. It really helps to keep from having to overcompensate when making a difficulty curve.

Yeah I loved the XY gameplay a lot more then the older games for that same reason and I really hope you'll manage to make it like that :).

Oh, you don't have to do that. Most of my changes from the beginning are in the way of sprites and dex entries. In most cases, which ones I changed will be immediately recognizable, and it's gonna be a tall order. I feel as if I've done around fifty and I still have 250+ to go.

orz.
But I want to restart and keep up the good work yet.. still so many to go ^^

Hm...I could consider something like that. I dunno if I'll change the fairy since they aren't particularly powerful but they grant the player early access to Fire, Water, and Electiric (assuming you didn't pick Marisa). Lunachild was actually quite the asset in my playthrough. Flash helped.
I've actually never picked sanea or sakuya.. so I never had lunachild. They just feel a bit.. meh to me, I don't like them for some reason. PS I'd love you forever if you'd make Youmu a starter, she's my absolute favorite :P

thanks again for working so hard on this game, I cant wait to see how the game will become :)

Back