• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: [EM] Safe, fast and dynamic Pokemon Expansion

Years
Great work on this and all of your other projects DizzyEgg, glad to see how far Emerald hacking has progressed.
Does this expansion also expand the Pokemon animation tables, or does it disable animations altogether?

Years
I feel silly asking, but would it be possible to have a tutorial with pictures, or a video? This is my first time using this kind of thing and I want to make sure I set the parameters correctly. I first attempt resulted in freezing when checking the pokedex and my second led to a freeze in the intro when Birch sent out Lotad. With a visual guide, I'd be able to understand more clearly what to change and what to leave alone.

If you got a crash, chances are you did everything right. :P
For some reason DevkitArm got updated recently and it has troubles assembling certain instructions. If you browse the most recent posts in that thread you'll see that Gamer2020 posted a link for an older working version of DevkitARM. Try it out.

On the off chance that it wasn't the reason you could send me your expansion.py script along with what other things you applied to rom.

Does this expansion also expand the Pokemon animation tables, or does it disable animations altogether?

It expands the animation tables. Whether you have animations or not is left to hacker.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
For some reason DevkitArm got updated recently and it has troubles assembling certain instructions. If you browse the most recent posts in that thread you'll see that Gamer2020 posted a link for an older working version of DevkitARM. Try it out.

On the off chance that it wasn't the reason you could send me your expansion.py script along with what other things you applied to rom.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot. Is there anything specific I have to do with the devkitARM folder? I simply uninstalled the version I had and extracted the one in the link. Speaking of version variants, I noticed the readme recommends Python 3.5, while I have Python 3.6. Could that raise any issues?

Years
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot. Is there anything specific I have to do with the devkitARM folder? I simply uninstalled the version I had and extracted the one in the link.
That's what I would do too. :P
Speaking of version variants, I noticed the readme recommends Python 3.5, while I have Python 3.6. Could that raise any issues?
None that I know of.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
The version of devkit in the link wasn't an installer, so I don't know how to set the paths for Python.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 16, 2021
The version of devkit in the link wasn't an installer, so I don't know how to set the paths for Python.

Simply install it with the install, and replace only the devkitARM folder with the r45 one. That will do it. Also the script should find devkit. Python should be set to add to paths when you installed it.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Thank you guys so much for answering my questions and helping me through this. I finally got it to work! I'll probably still need some time learning to organize it, but at least it works!

So I also just inserted the battle engine, making sure t first adjust the config.h. I hope I did it right, nothing broke so far. So my question now is which programs are or aren't compatible with the expanded pokemon and battle engine? Going through the threads, it looks like I first have to do something with the test.ini fie that the expander created, but I don't know what that'd be. I'm also not entirely sure if there's some resource people are using to insert newer gen Pokemon and items, if I have to create them myself. Sorry, this is all so new to me, I'm glad its successfully inserted, but I'm still figuring out where to go from here.

Okay, so I found the Gen 3 Hacking Suite to be usable, but I'm still kinda confused on setting up the ini and wondering about any resources people have used for future gen Pokemon and item implementation.

Last edited:

MissingNo. / M (00)

M̶̽͛͛̂̅̈̒̈́̓̒͝ ̘̱̬̺̣͚̖̮̗͆̾i̵ ̨̢̨̬̙͖̃̂̌̋̈́̔? ?? �� ��
Years

Dizzy you really should add that link to main post in your thread, that way anyone reading it for the first time will have the resources they need.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 7, 2017
I'm a beginner to rom hack,so I have some questions about this. After I use this to expand the pokes how to make them into a right egg species. For example, when I use a female Infernape to eggs , it hatched also Infernape but not the Chimchar.So what can I do to change it. Thank you

Years
I'm a beginner to rom hack,so I have some questions about this. After I use this to expand the pokes how to make them into a right egg species. For example, when I use a female Infernape to eggs , it hatched also Infernape but not the Chimchar.So what can I do to change it. Thank you

Yeah I forgot about breeding. I updated the github, so it should work fine now.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 7, 2017
thank you to answer it and another question that may I use the battle engine and after I complete the pictures, translation and other tables I want to use it as rombase and share it at other website ,I will tell them the source of it ,so can I do them above? thank you.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 7, 2017
sorry, bother you again,after I use your new program , the rom will crash,or it will hint no such file or directory'script//new_name.bin'

Wesley FG

Pokémon Kalos Advance !! Gba Hack
Years
only one sugestion for you, when you extend the hoenn cry table control
Spoiler:

all new pokes are the same value "21 01" i think, you can change the code for put the correct values, are one limbo of egg at last UNOWN, and after it is you new pokemon cry,
"83 01" "84 01" "85 01" etc
i make it myself, but people not know hex it is hard, and if you need change it for new cries work correct.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Heya~

After using the Emerald Battle Engine Upgrade with the Pokémon Expansion, I noticed that even though Hoopa's learnset was included in the "Gen 6 Learnset," its name wasn't in the PokeExpansion's "NewNames" so I modified the new_names.bin and included Hoopa, Volcanion, AND generation 7's names. Also fixed it so that it would show "BULBASAUR" instead of just "BASAUR" for unedited entries. Hope that's okay with you guys. Also, had to change 'Crabominable' to 'Crabomnabl' due to the 10 character limit.

Included in the attachment. You just extract it, put it in the "PokeExpansion-master\scripts" and replace the one there and build.

*Take note though that for progressing hacks, this may replace the names of Pokémon AFTER Diancie.

Hope it helps someone. :)

Attachments

• new_names.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

CephilliciusTheNEO

a meme a day keeps the normies at bay
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 10, 2017
I'm probably going to sound really really dumb here but, I'm having an issue where Python closes immediately upon opening expansion.py.

I feel like it's a super simple fix but I've never used Python before, in fact I've only begun scripting and programming in general this year.

If you could help, that'd be great, thanks!

Edit: So I tried Gamer2020's EmeraldRomBaseGenerator, and it seemed to have worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
I'm probably going to sound really really dumb here but, I'm having an issue where Python closes immediately upon opening expansion.py.

I feel like it's a super simple fix but I've never used Python before, in fact I've only begun scripting and programming in general this year.

If you could help, that'd be great, thanks!

Edit: So I tried Gamer2020's EmeraldRomBaseGenerator, and it seemed to have worked perfectly.
Gamer2020's EmeraldRomBaseGenerator is kinda out of date so here's what you should do. Don't use Python to open the scripts. Run cmd in the directory then type "python scripts//expansion.py". The instructions to use this is actually in the 'README.md'. Just open it with Notepad or WordPad. :)

CephilliciusTheNEO

a meme a day keeps the normies at bay
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 10, 2017
Gamer2020's EmeraldRomBaseGenerator is kinda out of date so here's what you should do. Don't use Python to open the scripts. Run cmd in the directory then type "python scripts//expansion.py". The instructions to use this is actually in the 'README.md'. Just open it with Notepad or WordPad. :)

I tried that, when I typed "Python scripts//expansion.py" it says "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." But when I just type "expansion.py" it says:
"Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\______________________\PokeExpansion-master\scripts\expansion.py", line 16, in <module>
new_pokes = x + 441 #x is the number of pokemon your adding, ignore that 441 it's for all the limbo slots; say you want to include gen 4, 5, and 6 that gives 335
NameError: name 'X' is not defined

Like I had said I'm still only starting out and have no clue what to do next.

Back