• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: DS Map Graphics Editor

Do you want Platinum, HG/SS and BW first Map for the first release?

• Yes

Votes: 396 90.8%
  • No, later

Votes: 40 9.2%

• Total voters

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
As some people might know about this already, the maps are consisted of fixed map size of 25x25 blocks.

So basically if all the maps are to be read, it would have to be every single map square on the Town Map layout. Because the Town Map always locates the exact possition you are. From what I've realized from the surf glitch in the Japanese Diamond/Pearl versions in version 1.0 (first release), I've noticed how when you go across to the left... it changes your possitioning on the map to the very first map. in the square. Which would be possitioned at 0x0 (at the top left corner), the 0 possitions on the first row and second row are out of range of the world map (Town Map).

So yeah, creating a map editor would require every blank maps, single terain object maps, normal maps, and special maps (eg. inside buildings, Lake Verity, caves ect.). The single terrain object maps only just need one object to fill the entire map.

I'm sure once the map editor is complete, I'm sure creating 4th Generation hacks could be a little more easier in mapping than the 3rd generation, because you can place different objects made and place them anywhere. The 3rd generation required placing one tile after another, while the 2nd and 1st had 4 tiles placed together.

Platinum Lucario

Years
I like how the development of the DP map editor is coming along, especially when I look at those new screenshots of the editor. Good luck, I'm so looking forward to seeing the first map editor for the 4th generation.

Off the topic: I'm actually getting interested in researching the 5th generation's mapping, because it looks pretty much like a mixture of both 3rd and 4th generation. The 3rd generation part in the 5th generation mapping is not being able to go outside the boundries of the map grouping. As the 4th generation part is the objects, however... all the map groupings in the 5th generation have their sets of objects and textures, as the 5th generation maps aren't placed on one big world map like the 4th.

Platinum Lucario

Years
OH MY GOD!!!! This game JUST CAME OUT and YOU broke it! You, sir are a genius.

And it's all thanks to me! 'Cause I told him the location of the map files. ;D

They're in a folder called "a". In that folder, there is folders numbered 0, 1, and 2. When you open any of the folders, you'll see more folders that have numbers from 0-9. When you go into any of those folders, you'll find files numbered in the same way as what the folders are. But there is no file extention for the files, so yeah.

It's time to conquer the 5th generation maps! (Along with of course... the 4th)

This is going to probably catch up to Nintendo already, and there'll probably be someone that will manage to create a Ruby and Sapphire remake on the 5th generation engine before Nintendo does.

Yay! This is fantastic! ^^

PS, I also checked the files in the "a" folder catorgory and had a look with a hex editor and found out that there was things named "polygon372" for example, that's how I came to know that they were indeed map files. And it felt like it too, because the folder contained alot MegaBytes, somewhere in the 100s. And yes, that was before I told him about it.

Last edited:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
This looks awesome, I didnt post at first.

But woah?? B&W mapping? I thought changing pokemon/ect came out fisrt :P
But this is just plain miracle.

is this gonna turn into multi tool besides mapping like A-map.?

Well good luck, ill be watching! :)

Platinum Lucario

Years
With this, hell ya! The only thing we need to find is how to loop music. I might have something, bit I'm too lazy to do it now. This should now be a cross-generation map editor.

Hm, probably might be. However, I do know that the 5th generation does have a different mapping engine from the 4th generation. This is why you can't go outside the boundries of a map grouping.

A map grouping contains some maps (probably to the maximum of 9) which do indeed work much differently from the 4th generation. The 4th generation maps were pretty much maps on one whole world map (including the ones that are out of range on the Town Map) and the special maps like the houses, caves and Lake Verity ect. In the 5th generation, all the map groupings are sepparate to each other, alot like how the 3rd generation works, except with fixed map sizes and no map connections. In the 3rd generation, you couldn't go outside the boundries of a map. But they are on the Nintendo DS, but it would be kinda like merging the 1st and 2nd generation into one map editor.

As for music, there have already been people that have looped music in Black/White.

Platinum Lucario

Years
Maybe.
For now, i work on a advanced version of DP Map Graphics Editor (with browser tabs?)

;)

Edit : BW Map Editing progress.
The door are now in the model, yeah!

And there are interesting parameters (rotation etc...) :p

Edit 2 : I have serious problems with Visual Basic.
Especially
with software limitation.

- 6000 max lines per procedure (64k)
- 255 max controls per form
- A certain number of form, procedures, and lines for the project.

How i can broke these limitations?
I need more space...

Wow, nice! To be honest... I haven't even managed to find out which map I have edited. And I aren't sure which file is the starting town. I have only edited the file listed in C:\dsbuff\NDS_UNPACK\data\a\0\0\8 and I aren't sure what map it is.

And which version of Visual Studio do you have? I was about to buy Visual Studio 2010, but it's waaaaaaaay too expensive.

Maybe the newer versions have increased limit sizes, or maybe it's the differences between the Professional, Premium, and Ultimate editions.

'Cause I do know Visual Studio 2010 does have those editions. I was shocked when I saw the price of the Ultimate edition of Visual Studio 2010, it was about in the $6,000 price.

Nanoman

Oi~!
Years
I think it's a good idea to switch to vb.net, vb6 is just so old. And in Visual Basic Express (the official IDE for vb.net) there are no limitation like the ones you have now (there are some other limitations though).
And of course Visual Basic Express is completely free.

Nanoman

Oi~!
Years
Well, you could take a look at the source of that module and try to convert it to vb.net.
Or you could always write a module yourself, reading/writing stuff is not that hard is vb.net.

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

Years
I already work on the "multi-tool" :p
The new interface is ready. It looks like Advance Map.

Why do you want an Event editor?

I can make an Event editor, but my priority is the Header Editor, too.
BTW, If anyone know how i can find these values (music, weather...), thanks to tell me.

Hm... y'know... there is the maps with the weather in the 4th generation, along with some mixed weather effects. Here are the different weather effects that I know of in the game:

Normal
Indoor (prevents the palette changes of the real time clock)
Cloudy (only occurs on Route 213, only sometimes)
Rain (occurs on Route 215, Route 212 (south); sometimes occurs on Route 213)
Heavy Rain (only occurs on Route 212 (south), only sometimes)
Heavy Rain with Thunderstorm (only occurs on Route 212 (south), only sometimes)
Volcanic Ash (only occurs on Route 227)
Sandstorm (only occurs on Route 228)
Fog (appears on Route 210 and Turnback Cave)
Background Fog (appears on mountainous routes and near Mt. Coronet)
Tree Shadows (appears in Eterna Forest)
Hail (occurs on Route 216 and Acuity Lakefront)
Blizzard (occurs on Route 217, sometimes Route 216)
Snow (occurs in Snowpoint City, sometimes on Acuity Lakefront)
Diamond Dust (only occurs in Snowpoint City, only sometimes)

The only thing now... is to find out the hex values for each one of them.

What I do know... in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald... there is a script for the weather to trigger on Route 119, which can either be Normal, Rainy, or Rainy with Thunderstorm.
The same thing applies for the map weather, I think the whole map has some sort of weather script that is able to change every day, or always be set to that weather.

Back