• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hoarding

Guest123_x1

Do any of you have a tendency to keep things that you know you don't need, perhaps to the point where you've become a pack-rat or even a hoarder? Do members of your family, immediate or extended, have a tendency to hoard things? Have you gone on a regiment to get rid of things that you really don't need anymore? Discuss your experiences with managing your belongings/personal possessions.

For years, I've had a tendency to keep a lot of my things from my childhood, and in more recent years, I've printed out pictures, articles, and other writings that I really like, to the point where I have a lot of papers.
In the past, my mom has gotten after me about getting rid of things that I don't need, telling me that I'm a borderline hoarder. Over the past year or so, I've been getting rid of a lot of my things that I had, and shredded a bunch of the papers that I didn't need. Most of the things that I got rid of were donated to Goodwill, though some others, particularly more valuable items, were consigned to my account at the consignment shop that is part of my workplace.
My extended family, along with my dad, however, have hoarding tendencies, which they picked up from my late grandmother. My dad and two of my aunts, live in the same house that their mother lived in until her death, and they have tons of things. Although it's not as bad as what you see on certain shows that cover hoarding (such as certain episodes of Dr. Phil, which I do watch when he has them), my mom and I believe that hoarding is hereditary, since it seems I picked up from my grandmother and extended family the habit of keeping things that I really don't need.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I have older siblings who were hoarders, but I've been taught only to keep things I truly want.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
Years
i do have a problem with hoarding things i wrote/made in high school and earlier... i'm very nostalgic i'd say, and it's not like those things can be replaced if i throw them out. they're not even useful to me, but the nostalgia factor sort of takes over. i will also attach myself to inanimate objects for no reason other than they remind me of my childhood or something of the sort.

Years
I always have this feeling of "but what if it's useful/important" whenever I look at a thing of mine. It's hard because I live with someone who's even more hoarder-inclined than I am. But I make an effort to go through things every now and then as ask myself if the thing in question is really making me happy.

And a few weeks ago I went on a spree of cleaning and got an entire room tidied up and I felt so good about and it really improved my mood. Since then it's fluctuated in how clean it is. It's made me realize that I feel better when not living in a mess of stuff and so that's extra motivation for me.

Last edited:
Back