• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen All Things Sylveon

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The key word there being formerly. Why is everyone so hung on these so called patterns 24/7? The only 'pattern' that should really matter when it comes to Eeveelutions is how each represents a sole type.

Despite the Physical/Special split in Gen IV, Eevee still managed to received two new evolutions that were formerly special-based, Grass and Ice, which means game mechanic changes have no effect on patterns/traditions, which are important models on what to expect on the next game to prevent gamers from being overhyped on things that'll never happen due to patterns/traditions.

Years
Are you forgetting hoppip? It just screams pink.

Spoiler:

I don't think you know what a connotation is.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Despite the Physical/Special split in Gen IV, Eevee still managed to received two new evolutions that were formerly special-based, Grass and Ice, which means game mechanic changes have no effect on patterns/traditions, which are important models on what to expect on the next game to prevent gamers from being overhyped on things that'll never happen due to patterns/traditions.
That dosent mean they can't break it now. Game Freak can do what they please with their own game. I find it much more likely that Sylveon is a new type than Dragon type.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014

Going along with what Shiny Celebi said, they can break any of these so called patterns at any point, they are not forced to stick with them. You honestly consider this Eeveelution pattern' to be in the leagues of game tradition? You honestly consider a single, simple, lucky evolution line to be an important key to hold back overhyping in future games? Good lord...

This reminds me of how everyone started to use FrLg and HGSS as another pattern, even when it was shown that the games come out as they come out, with no real pattern in mind. This 'pattern' is even similar in that Esp/Umb started out as the first new pair, then Gla/Lea came out as the second pair, and we all know that two does not make a pattern.

They've also broken tradition before, in order to breathe some new life into things, the most notable recently being how Black 2/White 2 broke the tradition of just a simple, slightly beefed up third games. We're also getting a full 3D game pair to kick off 6th gen, that's a HUGE change many thought would/should never come.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
One break in tradition doesn't essentially mean that tradition is essentially over, to break fully they'll need to do it multiple times at least imo. (sort of like in a graph some points don't quite line up in a straight line, but sometimes it's only one point and you can ignore it sometimes).

Anyways I still think it's Dragon. Now if they've done another pair I would be thinking other wise.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
It's been more than one tradition that's been broken, but my point isn't that it's always going to be changed; What I'm pointing out is that just because things may make it seem like there is a pattern, there is just as much of a chance that said so-called 'pattern' can be broken. Is occasionally opposing tradition (reasonably) not allowed or something?

Going on, comparing a little coincidence(thus far, a pattern is just speculation) such as the eeveelutions that have so far come out to be in the league of a huge tradition such as, say, obtaining badges(something that is much, much more likely to not change) is pretty ridiculous.

Being more specific, having a next eeveelution that wasn't originally special-based is not ruining anything because the pattern wasn't confirmed to begin with. Now something like giving an eeveelution a dual-typing, due to it's history of each evolution symbolizing a specific type after being exposed to different situations, would be a bigger deal.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
It's been more than one tradition that's been broken, but my point isn't that it's always going to be changed; What I'm pointing out is that just because things may make it seem like there is a pattern, there is just as much of a chance that said so-called 'pattern' can be broken. Is occasionally opposing tradition (reasonably) not allowed or something?

Going on, comparing a little coincidence(thus far, a pattern is just speculation) such as the eeveelutions that have so far come out to be in the league of a huge tradition such as, say, obtaining badges(something that is much, much more likely to not change) is pretty ridiculous.

Being more specific, having a next eeveelution that wasn't originally special-based is not ruining anything because the pattern wasn't confirmed to begin with. Now something like giving an eeveelution a dual-typing, due to it's history of each evolution symbolizing a specific type after being exposed to different situations, would be a bigger deal.

Them all being Mono-typed and them all being based on Special type is the same thing as far as patterns and traditions go. So if you are saying that it can be broken with the next one not being a special type then you are saying it can be broken with a dual type since its the same arguement.

Them all being Mono typed is just as much a speculative coincidence as all of them being based on Special types. So they either both ruin the pattern or neither do. History agrees with that as well.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
I've read this rumor on Reddit that goes like this;
Spoiler:

Well this seems really plausible. Although Sylveon doesn't look like a Poison type, there is a photo edited to this post featuring a tree with this nice pink color.

And another reason why Sylveon could be Dragon type is because of the Astral background during the trailer. Looks alot like Iris's battle background in B2/W2

Years
that's more far fetched than the bird. how many pokémon are based on that obscure a plant? it doesnt even look poison. wouldn't that make it grass-type, anyway?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I mean no rudeness by this, but I find it rather humorous that some are trying to tie the "egg" into their type preference in some convenient way.

Cyclone

Navy Blue

Artist
Years
I've read this rumor on Reddit that goes like this;" So I had this idea that Sylveon might be based on a Poison Ivy, so I was looked up Poison Ivies on wikipedia, and to my surprise, there is a specie of Poison Ivy called Oxicodendron Sylvestre or Rhus Sylvestris. It grows in China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. So it's not only a local Japanese poison ivy, it also has Sylve in it's name. Thoughts?"
Well this seems really plausible. Although Sylveon doesn't look like a Poison type, there is a photo edited to this post featuring a tree with this nice pink color.
This could be cool and unexpected, and I like poison a bit! :O
But, who knows (besides GF, of course)?

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Them all being Mono-typed and them all being based on Special type is the same thing as far as patterns and traditions go. So if you are saying that it can be broken with the next one not being a special type then you are saying it can be broken with a dual type since its the same arguement.

Them all being Mono typed is just as much a speculative coincidence as all of them being based on Special types. So they either both ruin the pattern or neither do. History agrees with that as well.

You've misunderstood what I was saying.

My point there was that, as far as eeveelutions are concerned, there are worse things than them breaking this unofficial 'pattern' of them all being special based(which has since been broken itself, so doesn't really apply 100% anyways).

All eeveelutions ending up being mono type is much more of a given than it is a pattern, although, since we only have almost half types covered, I'm not going to say it is definite. Having a dual-type eeveelution when it's looking inevitable that in the end each should represent a sole type...that would be ruining what is seemingly their purpose. It's not about whether it has the same opportunity of being broken, it's that that would be a much, much bigger shock than ruining the whole physical/special deal(which doesn't even really apply anymore with the split).

Exactly what harm is being accomplished by letting a physical type take priority over a special type though? Nothing, as they would all end up getting made eventually anyway, hopefully. There isn't any sort of real negativity that would come if that ends up becoming true.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
Spoiler:

Wow, that is really cool! I didn't even consider that it could be a Poison type- it doesn't seem like anyone has really considered it.

@Twilight Sky- I agree that it doesn't really look like Poison type. I feel like it would be purple or something if it was a Poison type. Although, it does have the butterflies on it and a lot of Bug pokemon are part Poison.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I dunno. Pink seems like a Poison kind of colour, too, since a lot of purples are blended with it. Might also explain the fangs you can see in some instances and pictures.

I still think it's Flying, though. A Flying Special Attacker would be cool ^^

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
That is true, it is kind of purplish. And it does have some purple on it.

I found this picture. I think it is fan made, but either way it is a really cool concept in my opinion.

Spoiler:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
That blue eeveelution is cute lol

Meanwhile, those fake orb things that look like pacifiers... Their effects would definitely help with breeding, but it might make it too easy for more-female or more-male ratio'd Pokemon to be super-bred with specific moves, natures, etc.

Ah, well.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Spoiler:

And another reason why Sylveon could be Dragon type is because of the Astral background during the trailer. Looks alot like Iris's battle background in B2/W2

I made a comment about that rumor on pokejungle either last week or earlier this week. Basically its not accurate. They use the wrong name to try and associate type. While its well done, since they use the US/UK name its inaccurate.

You've misunderstood what I was saying.

My point there was that, as far as eeveelutions are concerned, there are worse things than them breaking this unofficial 'pattern' of them all being special based(which has since been broken itself, so doesn't really apply 100% anyways).

All eeveelutions ending up being mono type is much more of a given than it is a pattern, although, since we only have almost half types covered, I'm not going to say it is definite. Having a dual-type eeveelution when it's looking inevitable that in the end each should represent a sole type...that would be ruining what is seemingly their purpose. It's not about whether it has the same opportunity of being broken, it's that that would be a much, much bigger shock than ruining the whole physical/special deal(which doesn't even really apply anymore with the split).

Exactly what harm is being accomplished by letting a physical type take priority over a special type though? Nothing, as they would all end up getting made eventually anyway, hopefully. There isn't any sort of real negativity that would come if that ends up becoming true.

I think you misunderstand your own post. No the special type pattern hasn't been broken. All 7 eevee evolutions are special typed just as they've always been mono typed. Its the same argument. They've been special typed just as they've been mono typed. While there is no possible damage done with them not following it, there's no damage with making a dual typed evolution either. Both have roughly the same chance of happening. But eevee's evolutions being special typed is as true as them being mono typed.

Back