• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] What keeps you motivated?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
So what keeps the artists of PC motivated to create? Go!

Years
C o n v e r s a t i o n

I find having other people around to talk about art with other people even if its just about how stupid art software is and how evil they are when they decide to crash on their own esp when artists havent saved actually gives me life and motivation to keep going.

Also seeing their own artwork like yesss

Another thing is rps i guess i love them
I love making my characters feel special
I just

Combine the two rly

Oh and shit posts and memes always

Years
Having other people producing art and talking about art around me is a good way to keep me motivated but I've only been seriously doing visual art for a really short time so I'm still at the stage where self-improvement is the biggest motivator.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I always find working with other people to be a great motivator. Working with others, even if it?s on a solo project, is inspiring and rejuvenating in my mind. I also like to keep an inspiration folder, read a lot, and bring my sketchbook everywhere I go to keep my creative mojo up.

I agree gimmepie, looking at my old art and having a more objective view on my improvement is also a great motivator! However, it can be equally as depressing at times, aha.

Also money. Money is a great motivator lmao.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I knew when I was very young that there were three things I was never good in school despite trying so hard to improve:

1) Penmanship. I inherited my Father's poor handwriting while my Mother's penmanship makes me envious that I didn't inherit her genes.
2) Reading&Writing. I could read but I lose interest after awhile. As a result my Writing skills suffered so when I reached High School, I had to bust my butt just to get a B.
3) Art. Pretty much anything Art related. Be it painting, drawing and other crafts.

I will say that if someone was to start, humility is a huge asset because there is always room for improvement. Complacency is also your enemy so try and find a subject(Pokemon for starters) that you love and go crazy. Don't be concerned if your stuff sucks because everyone starts at square one.

Years
I don't actually submit any work here, but my motivation for drawing is that I can only ever improve, and I often have a good time doing it. I've been wielding a pen since the second day I was born, seemingly, and mutilating expensive books with them from the third. I've been drawing my whole life, and it is a dire shame that I'm fucking awful but I enjoy it and that's all the motivation I need. And even when I don't enjoy it... beating yourself is an excellent challenge - trying to override that bit of you which makes the same old mistakes, or won't put on paper what is in your head.

And has anyone tried drawing Chespin? Like, come on! It's wonderful. You can put the most horrible faces in the centre and give the best poses, and it all comes together excellently. I'm just waiting for the day where I can sketch Italian waitresses from memory, to be honest. Then I'll give her the picture and blush and fidget. There's a lot of motivation in that thought.

Back