• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Sourcing art

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
I've been confused on this for a while, and I can't seem to find clarification in the rules. When posting art made by other people (for example, in the Gen 8 Memes Thread), how do you source it without it qualifying as advertising? (You are supposed to source it, right?)

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Just link the source. It's not really advertising if you just link it. & Honestly, I don't think sourcing memes is really all that important, as memes could really be from anywhere on the internet to begin with. So, don't worry about it. But yes, if it's fanart, or art, usually, you need permission to repost those. In this case, as I said, link the source to the person who made it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I totally understand your confusion. In the Art Studio, using someone else's work without proper credit is most definitely against the rules. We have an entire section in the rules thread that goes over how to properly site an artist (thanks to Nina!) and their work with appropriate formatting. Artistic integrity on that front is something we take very seriously and look to uphold.

However, and I'm no expert this is strictly from my own personal observation, the rest of the forums (where one's art is not the focus), are a little different. There is no expectation that someone is posting art and claiming it to be their own, outside of the Art Studio. Because there's no claiming or profiting from the image, we take a laxer approach. Should you credit an artist if you post their work? Yes, always. Will we ban you if you post someone's edited Pokémon reaction gif in response to a thread? No.

Should you want to credit an artist outside of the Art Studio, finding out if the work you're using is available to be posted by someone other than the originator is the first step. Talk to the artist and ask if it's okay! We don't bite. :)

If there's a strict "please don't repost without permission", than we kindly ask you to respect the artist's wishes. If not, than please take the time to post a link to where you found the image you want to use. Name the artist or their dA/tumblr/whatever. It's that simple! :)

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
Okay, thanks for your help. :) I was worried that posting links to where I found it might fall under the rules against advertising - it's a relief to find out that it's okay.

Last edited:
Back