• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Spiky's DS Map Editor (NOW OPEN-SOURCE)

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I'm gonna share you guys something interesting, it's called UVMapper, I found it while playing around with GameMaker 8 Pro.

More inforemation at UVMapper website, this might be able to fix UV better after editing an obj file.

Is it a 3d modeling tool. And is it free??

YORAMRW

8-bit producer & Pokémon GB music hacker
Years
You have to extract a tileset with SDSME, open it with MKDS, edit their textures importing new ones like PNGs (palettes'll be automatic), save the tileset and import it with SDSME.

I always tought the PNG become the palette of the tile. Thanks.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
News update: I have finished a trainer class editor, which will allow you to add/edit/remove trainer classes (name and sprite). Music and animations are not supported yet simply because I have no idea where the data is.

I have also rewritten the ROM load/save code to make it faster and safer. The "game.nds" errors won't show up anymore, and the game will now be loaded in the same folder it's located, not in SDSME's. That will also allow you to have multiple windows of SDSME opened at the same time safely :D

VERGUNDAI

RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker
Years
News update: I have finished a trainer class editor, which will allow you to add/edit/remove trainer classes (name and sprite). Music and animations are not supported yet simply because I have no idea where the data is.

I have also rewritten the ROM load/save code to make it faster and safer. The "game.nds" errors won't show up anymore, and the game will now be loaded in the same folder it's located, not in SDSME's. That will also allow you to have multiple windows of SDSME opened at the same time safely :D

Awesome, since trainer editor was really useful, I've compiled some new scripts for BlazeRuby.
I still can't figure out while Max 8 won't load my png files file trying to export some maps into imd.
Works for the first map Twinleaf(can be imported to imd with no errors), then errors for other maps(unknown error)..

Lately, I've been successfully importing some maps without textures, so therefore I won't need to upload pics.
And I guess Photoshop CS6 is awesome for editing some pictures and graphics.

Pokemon BlazeRuby will be officially release on June 7th 2013, with new maps, and a few scripts...
and will be uploaded on pokemonregen website.

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
I have to say, I really love how far this tool has come... But I really am terrible at navigating to the map I want to in this.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
I have to say, I really love how far this tool has come... But I really am terrible at navigating to the map I want to in this.

Thank you! I'm aware navigating maps is pretty confusing unless you know exactly what you're doing, so any feedback about possible ways or "ideal ways to navigate maps" are always welcome. It's important for the tool to be accessible to everyone.

By the way, version 1.7.0 is progressing well. I've been fighting a bit to get scripts working, but now they work like 90% of the time. It's only a viewer, though. I have also added a sound file list, which will be practical for scripts and headers :)

VERGUNDAI

Years
Thank you! I'm aware navigating maps is pretty confusing unless you know exactly what you're doing, so any feedback about possible ways or "ideal ways to navigate maps" are always welcome. It's important for the tool to be accessible to everyone.

By the way, version 1.7.0 is progressing well. I've been fighting a bit to get scripts working, but now they work like 90% of the time. It's only a viewer, though. I have also added a sound file list, which will be practical for scripts and headers :)

Awesome spiky! Keep up the work, because who knows maybe one day this tool can do almost everything for 4th gen hacking. And then later on maybe another 5th gen hacking tool similar to this one will come out.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I'm having a bit of a problem.

I tried importing the upstairs of the Pallet Town room from HG/SS into Pokemon Platinum, replacing the player's bedroom. I made sure I exported everything possible from HeartGold and imported it into Platinum, being move permissions, the map model, the tileset textures, everything. It looks fine in the Map Editor, but when I test it in-game, it looks like this:
fk34b9.png

Anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out that the bedroom Tileset was actually Tileset 20, not Tileset 3. However I still have another problem:
4qhqv.png

EDIT: nevermind again, I figured out that it's just a matter of changing the model numbers.

I have a suggestion for the tool: Include a Ctrl+F search function in the model list

EDIT: lmao this tool is amazing, this is what I've done so far on a Platinum ROM:
2d8jjo0.png

Last edited:

YORAMRW

Years
Will there come a Pokémon Black and White version of Spiky's DS Map Editor? That is an amazing idea!

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Will there come a Pokémon Black and White version of Spiky's DS Map Editor? That is an amazing idea!

Gen V support is planned for the future. But there won't be any branches, everything will be included in a single tool, hence the inclusion of "DS" in the tool's name :)

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years

There is already NPRE which can indeed edit the maps in Black/White, though it does actually lack in the way of map rendering in the latest build. If I was a programmer, I could've switched the 3D render to the one that's used in MKDS Course Modifier.

VERGUNDAI

Years
There is already NPRE which can indeed edit the maps in Black/White, though it does actually lack in the way of map rendering in the latest build. If I was a programmer, I could've switched the 3D render to the one that's used in MKDS Course Modifier.

So, MKDS does'nt work for some reason, Light vector errors in BWB2W2?!? what actually cause this?

YORAMRW

Years
Gen V support is planned for the future. But there won't be any branches, everything will be included in a single tool, hence the inclusion of "DS" in the tool's name :)

Cool! Then we could really port maps from BW to DPPtHgSs and conversely. AND we can research how the movement permissions in Castelia City, and the camera positions on the Skyarrow Bridge really work!

Which are the new feature in version 1.7.0?
Just curious :D

I don't think Gen V support will be in 1.7.0. Maybe in 2.0.0. I can't judge, but SDSME is a very big step in NDS ROM hacking!

Last edited:

VERGUNDAI

Years
Cool! Then we could really port maps from BW to DPPtHgSs and conversely. AND we can research how the movement permissions in Castelia City, and the camera positions on the Skyarrow Bridge really work!

I don't think Gen V support will be in 1.7.0. Maybe in 2.0.0. I can't judge, but SDSME is a very big step in NDS ROM hacking!

I'd rather have it like this:

SPDSME should stay Gen IV, since we've added a lot of features into it already, and we still need to research on bugs and stuff about it.

I prefer making a 5th gen editor, apart from this, because you'll mainly focus on 5th Gen. Like calling it Spiky's V Gen editor.(SVG)

And BTW if you think about XYZ, compared to all of these it will take years to make something like that.

I'm having a bit of a problem.

I tried importing the upstairs of the Pallet Town room from HG/SS into Pokemon Platinum, replacing the player's bedroom. I made sure I exported everything possible from HeartGold and imported it into Platinum, being move permissions, the map model, the tileset textures, everything. It looks fine in the Map Editor, but when I test it in-game, it looks like this:
fk34b9.png

Anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out that the bedroom Tileset was actually Tileset 20, not Tileset 3. However I still have another problem:
4qhqv.png

EDIT: nevermind again, I figured out that it's just a matter of changing the model numbers.

I have a suggestion for the tool: Include a Ctrl+F search function in the model list

EDIT: lmao this tool is amazing, this is what I've done so far on a Platinum ROM:
2d8jjo0.png

Wow, restarting DarkViolet?

I've remember your beta on this, but I thought you gave up on it.

Well, i was thinking about making a Firered and Leafgreen remakes, but tons of people are trying so hard to accomplish it. Then in the end everyone who tries to remake it fails.

Firered and Leafgreen remakes are my side-works because they are all ready easy to edit.

It you need help, I'll be availble for scripting only. (BTW why not use a HGSS Rom?) but I like your idea, lets try to see HGSS Maps in different 3D Angles.

Last edited:

YORAMRW

Years
I'd rather have it like this:

SPDSME should stay Gen IV, since we've added a lot of features into it already, and we still need to research on bugs and stuff about it.

I prefer making a 5th gen editor, apart from this, because you'll mainly focus on 5th Gen. Like calling it Spiky's V Gen editor.(SVG)

And BTW if you think about XYZ, compared to all of these it will take years to make something like that.

I think it's better if the 4th and 5th Generation map editor will stay ONE tool.

Back