• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: In which we welcome back Shining Raichu from his extended vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm usually a pretty nice person actually. Sorry, just hitting the "YOU NEED TO LIGHTEN UP LOLOL" button on me gets me pretty angry pretty fast - it's a really immature way to handle someone being upset by something you say, and it's the epitome of selfishness. Someone is telling you that they're upset by something you're saying, and your reaction is "I don't care, suck it up"? The empathetic reaction would be to try to reduce your instances of upsetting other people, because you care about other peoples' feelings.

And it's true what I said about being 15. It took me a long time to mature and get beyond a lot of really rude, immature things I did when I was younger, like ignoring when I hurt someone because I have the "right" to say whatever it was I said. It wasn't meant as abrasive.

Gabri

m8
Years
Maturing is an amazing thing. It's the reason why I just want to beat the crap out of my 14-17 year old self. I was an idiot back then.

Also, it's already April Fools day where I live. Haha!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Ugh I was terrible at that age, seriously. I used to be one of those girls with super low self-esteem that would half-flirt with guys online, just enough to get them interested but not enough to make people think we had a relationship, because they would be nice to me and barely anyone was nice to me in that way irl. :( I would hate myself from that age.

Gabri

m8
Years
I was just a boring craphead with a low self-esteem that knew nothing and talked of nothing interesting to anyone and would do pathetic attempts at getting relationships with girls of my age and end up ignored. Meh.

Honest

Hi!
Years
It's alright. I'm not gay personally, but I really don't like it when people use it as a synonym for "stupid". I find that stupid in and off itself.

And your only 15! Still fairly young, so don't feel bad. =P

Gabri

m8
Years
You will learn empathy as you progress in life. Worry not. You've got years ahead of you.

EDIT: After six and a half years, I reached a thousand countable posts, 3/4 of which are totally worthless and idiotic. Yay!
/sarcastic self-applause

Gabri

m8
Years
I'm not gay as well - but I know that people may find it insulting, so I avoid even using the word so I don't accidentally use it in a way possibly interpreted as offensive.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
The only kind of onions I like are pearl onions. Hate the other kinds.

Edit - Damn last page button. Took me to 51, when we were talking about onions, instead of 52.

Crux

Evermore
Years
@Toujours
So you would rather everybody be completely empathic?
If everybody was empathic, then there would still be people who were offended. It's the same logic as if everybody were happy. There are different degrees and relativities of all emotions, if everybody was happy all the time that doesn't say how happy happy would be. And between people who are less expressive and those who are less emotional, there would still technically be miserable people out there.
Empathy is a good feeling to know, but not one to live your life by.

People mature at different rates. Unless you can read minds you can never know how mature of childish a person is regardless of age.
When I was 15 I graduated high school and almost went into medicine. Everybody I met told me or my parents how amazingly mature I was. (Well, almost everyone. :} ) Looking at it now, I realise that it wasn't maturity, but rather cynicism. Most of the time I treated people like they had the mentality of an infant. Easily offended by words, like to be thought of as intelligent, and overall I practically babied most people I met. In retrospect I see now that I was contributing to the problem rather then the solution. In testing, I found a word that bothered a family member when used, so I used that very word continously. After so long, not only did it no longer bother them, but they too started using it. Why? Because to them the word had taken new form in their mind, a new meaning and feeling entirerly. Now, magnifing that up to world size, there was a time when calling somebody an idiot was like punching them in the face. In modern times, whilst as there are still a few people who are offended by it, it's generally not something to get all torn up about. My point in saying this is, words like gay and *** (that one may be censured) had a very different meaning before somebody came along and gave them a shiny new offensive one. So, all i'm trying to do is to remove the offense from it. To change it's form, so to speak.
So, would you rather continue babying everyone you meet by show of drastic measures of empathy, or would you rather toughen them up so that when they meet a real douchebag, they'll have an ironskin so as not to be crushed?

I liek pie. :3

Gabri

m8
Years
This isn't about toughening people up, buddy. Life will do that by itself. Neither is it much about empathy. It's about treating everyone not like they have the mentality of an infant like you said, but with respect. Respect and be respected. When someone finds something offensive to them, they'll say "Sorry, I found that offensive", because everyone has a line beyond which it will become something more personal. And you, even if only out of respect, "Sorry, I won't do that again". That's how a civilized society works. Words related to sexual orientation or such personal things used in a way people dislike will NOT make them "toughen up" as you say. Douchebags are just that. Douchebags. They think they're superior and have no respect for anything. Even if you are not an empathic being, at least show respect for what people feel about things instead of insisting on it with the excuse of "toughening people up".

I like cookies.

EDIT: Oh nice stuff. Who knows who posted what just by looking at the post?
I have to admit that I liked the usurper joke last year.

Crux

Evermore
Years
Ahahaha!

Nice.
I hope i'm a Vulpix. :3
Or a Corphish. Or a Rattata. Or an Eevee. Or a Bulbasaur. Or a Houndour. Or- whatever, you get the point!

Oh Yeah, Charizard!! :D

Last edited:

Gabri

m8
Years
Well... I think this thing's loading the server a bit. PC is being slow for me.
Or has it been like this for the past days? Can't tell.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
It's probably just PC being PC. It'll pass in a little while, hopefully. For now, just enjoy it! I like trying to guess who the previous poster is.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
That's the April Fool's day joke? Hmm... it's actually not bad at all, better than the last one, that much I can tell you.

So, I'm wondering what I am...

Oh, good lord, this thing's completely random - I was a Pikachu once, next thing I know, I was a Minun. Now I can't tell what I'll be next.

It's still better than last year's, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back