• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Coral Version (2022 DEMO OUT NOW!)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024
Demo 1 is out! Download in the OP. Let me know if you have any problems or see any bugs.

Years
  • Age 32
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Excellent, I've been looking forward to this!

• BGB complains that the ROM checksum fails, but it plays correctly. I patched the same Crystal 1.0 (UE) ROM that pokecrystal builds by default.
• The intro music and Sunset Bay music fit right in with the standard tracks. Kind of surprised there wasn't a custom title theme too.
• Changing your clothing color works perfectly! (The overworld part, at least; the trainer card doesn't update yet, nor does the Town Map icon.) I like how you fit in eight colors, with darker nighttime hues, and the change SFX are appropriate.
• I mixed up Cap'n Stern and his brother Abner; Mom said that Capn' Stern was looking for us, but then his brother is the one giving out Pokémon, and they're both doing so in lieu of Prof. Spruce from the intro. What about if their dialog started with "ABNER:" or "STERN:"?
• Cool physical/special split icons!
• I hope the lighthouse will be more explorable later.
• Thank you for making Berry trees tile-based since there's no PAL_OW_TREE.
• The guard complains I don't have a Pokégear and won't let me onto Route 1, but I always had one, along with a Map Card.
• Can you move the day-of-week box to the very top-right corner?
• Tucking Berry trees into the very corners makes them less noticable; maybe relocate them a bit?
• Glint City is beautifully designed. Not even by devamping later-gen tiles, just by using what already works in Gen 2.
• The NPCs are creatively done. It's neat how many of them have overworld Pokémon, and the dialog isn't just filler or copied from other games.
• The guy studying the tree who gives us a Library Card seems like he'd be a recurring character. Is that so? Will we learn his name? Edit: …oh, he's the Gym Leader. IMO this could be a more obvious connection. Like, he gives you his name when you first meet, or the librarian says you can't battle because the Leader's out studying, not because you need a Card. (The connection would also be clearer if we saw his front sprite in the grove, and then recognized him sitting in the Gym.)
• On the one hand, Gyms with extra functions are a neat concept from Gen 5. On the other hand, the standard Gym music sounds too rowdy for a library. A quiet remix would be great here. (Also, I like the library/Gym floor; a simple design, but still a refreshing change from the default tilesets.)
• All the Gym bookshelves have "Pokémon magazines". Seems like a good opportunity for custom book titles.
Smeargle's sprite is corrupt. Maybe an issue with how I patched it? (Those a great choices for a Normal gym, BTW.)
• Level 16 Dragon Rage makes battles too easy.
• Right after Gym 1 is unusually early to get Surf. I like it! Although it's usually used to block off early areas so backtracking will feel more rewarding. Will Waterfall play that role here?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024
Excellent, I've been looking forward to this!

• BGB complains that the ROM checksum fails, but it plays correctly. I patched the same Crystal 1.0 (UE) ROM that pokecrystal builds by default.
• The intro music and Sunset Bay music fit right in with the standard tracks. Kind of surprised there wasn't a custom title theme too.
• Changing your clothing color works perfectly! (The overworld part, at least; the trainer card doesn't update yet, nor does the Town Map icon.) I like how you fit in eight colors, with darker nighttime hues, and the change SFX are appropriate.
• I mixed up Cap'n Stern and his brother Abner; Mom said that Capn' Stern was looking for us, but then his brother is the one giving out Pokémon, and they're both doing so in lieu of Prof. Spruce from the intro. What about if their dialog started with "ABNER:" or "STERN:"?
• Cool physical/special split icons!
• I hope the lighthouse will be more explorable later.
• Thank you for making Berry trees tile-based since there's no PAL_OW_TREE.
• The guard complains I don't have a Pokégear and won't let me onto Route 1, but I always had one, along with a Map Card.
• Can you move the day-of-week box to the very top-right corner?
• Tucking Berry trees into the very corners makes them less noticable; maybe relocate them a bit?
• Glint City is beautifully designed. Not even by devamping later-gen tiles, just by using what already works in Gen 2.
• The NPCs are creatively done. It's neat how many of them have overworld Pokémon, and the dialog isn't just filler or copied from other games.
• The guy studying the tree who gives us a Library Card seems like he'd be a recurring character. Is that so? Will we learn his name? Edit: …oh, he's the Gym Leader. IMO this could be a more obvious connection. Like, he gives you his name when you first meet, or the librarian says you can't battle because the Leader's out studying, not because you need a Card. (The connection would also be clearer if we saw his front sprite in the grove, and then recognized him sitting in the Gym.)
• On the one hand, Gyms with extra functions are a neat concept from Gen 5. On the other hand, the standard Gym music sounds too rowdy for a library. A quiet remix would be great here. (Also, I like the library/Gym floor; a simple design, but still a refreshing change from the default tilesets.)
• All the Gym bookshelves have "Pokémon magazines". Seems like a good opportunity for custom book titles.
Smeargle's sprite is corrupt. Maybe an issue with how I patched it? (Those a great choices for a Normal gym, BTW.)
• Level 16 Dragon Rage makes battles too easy.
• Right after Gym 1 is unusually early to get Surf. I like it! Although it's usually used to block off early areas so backtracking will feel more rewarding. Will Waterfall play that role here?
Wow! Thanks for so much feedback!

•I think the incorrect checksum and the corrupted Smeargle sprite are caused by the same problem. I think I accidentally made the patch on a rom that wasn't completely clean. Oops.
•There is eventually going to be a custom title theme. I just kinda wanted to get this demo out and a few songs didn't make it in time. This is also why Glint Grove uses music from the default game.
•You weren't supposed to have the Gear or Map yet. I gave them to the player when they investigated the SNES for testing purposes, but forgot to remove that. No one caught that in play testing.
•I'll see about more clearly conveying things like Abner/Stern and Stanley.
•I've heard the complaint about the berry trees twice now. I guess I'll change that.
•I'll move Dragon Rage to a more appropriate level.
•Waterfall isn't planned to be an HM in Coral. You only get Surf this early on in the demo so that you can explore everything there is to see. You'll definitely get it much later in the full game.

I'll get this stuff fixed and have a better patch out later today.

EDIT: It's up. Most of the problems should be fixed.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Hm, BGB still gives the checksum error.

Pokemon Crystal (UE).gbc md5sum: 9f2922b235a5eeb78d65594e82ef5dde
Patched coral-demo1.1.gbc md5sum: 64cb422f21b1297dde966cc184fc8456

Anyway, some graphical nitpicks:

The outdoor planks should be 2px higher to align with the tile grid.
• The ellipsis in gfx/misc/font_battle_extra.png gfx/battle/hp_exp_bar_border.1bpp is higher than the one in gfx/misc/font_extra.png. (You could also just move it and some other characters to the unused gfx/misc/font.png tiles, freeing up as many as 63 more tiles for maps.)
• tilesets/animation.asm:TileAnimationPalette cycles the water palette, which makes it sometimes look flat. Replace it with the no-op WaitTileAnimation?
• Rustling grass might look better with just green, no black; or maybe that's too subtle.
• If you haven't already searched through the code for comments like "buggy", "fix", "redundant", "unused", "stupid", "pointless", etc, then do so; many of the glitches have known one-line fixes.

Last edited:

gail

Having no limitation as limitation
Years
As far as I played,I can say that its really good.I loved the sprites ecpecially cottonee`s one.
I want to know if u will ever update the cries.thanks

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024
As far as I played,I can say that its really good.I loved the sprites ecpecially cottonee`s one.
I want to know if u will ever update the cries.thanks

I plan to. I just really have no idea how. I'll try to tackle that eventually.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024
The demo was good. Here's what I noticed:
-The Pokedex entries skip to the second page when you catch Pokemon
-The player's Pokedex is named [Rival's name]'s Pokedex :D

Thank you,
Are you sure you didn't read it wrong? After he gives you your Pokédex, he mentions that your rival ran off without his and gives it to you to deliver to his house in Glint City.

As for the Pokédex entry skipping to page 2, I'm not experiencing that. Is it for all entries or just a specific Pokémon?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024
Updated the download link with a new version. Fixes some spelling and grammar issues and fixes a bug with the Trio Bros. fight.

Years
  • Age 32
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
By the way, my hack Polished Crystal has a music player (based on Crystal Complete), and I've included a few tracks from other games in it as a bonus. Would you like to add some of Coral's music to it (space permitting; the ROM is 96% full)? Credit would be to coraldev. I'd like to feature the welcome theme and Gym Leader theme, but any that you want to publicize are fine. Please PM me the music asm if you're interested!

passarbye

Just passin' thru
Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2017
I really liked this demo, I think it does many things right for the start of a grand new adventure! ^^
My favorite features were:
  • a larger starter selection, 2 gens instead of 1 (which made it feel like a Mystery Dungeon title)
  • more than 1 person obtaining their first pokemon at the lab (hope we run into them again later!)
  • the variety of 'mons that were available early-game in every route/area
  • the balance was pretty good
My only complaints are that HMs still need to be learned before they're used, and some routes had a lot of grass to run through compared to vanilla titles
But, this is beta and I don't expect everything to be completed/polished yet. ;)
Playing this was a lot of fun, please keep us updated on the development! (also please consider joining Discord)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024
I really liked this demo, I think it does many things right for the start of a grand new adventure! ^^
My favorite features were:
  • a larger starter selection, 2 gens instead of 1 (which made it feel like a Mystery Dungeon title)
  • more than 1 person obtaining their first pokemon at the lab (hope we run into them again later!)
  • the variety of 'mons that were available early-game in every route/area
  • the balance was pretty good
My only complaints are that HMs still need to be learned before they're used, and some routes had a lot of grass to run through compared to vanilla titles
But, this is beta and I don't expect everything to be completed/polished yet. ;)
Playing this was a lot of fun, please keep us updated on the development! (also please consider joining Discord)

I appreciate it! What do you mean that HMs still need to be learned before they're used? You just need to have the HM and the appropriate Gym Badge to use them. I just tested it, so I know it's working properly.

passarbye

Just passin' thru
Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2017
I appreciate it! What do you mean that HMs still need to be learned before they're used? You just need to have the HM and the appropriate Gym Badge to use them. I just tested it, so I know it's working properly.
My bad, I just ended up teaching my 'mons the HMs before realizing I didn't have to. o_O
(just caught a Chinchou to test this, it is working properly as you said)
pretty nifty feature, I wish more hacks did this!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 1, 2020
I LOVE THIS HACK, It's like prism except it looks better and it looks like it has load of potential

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024
Here is the world map so far. The cave at the base of the mountain will lead back to Daybreak Grotto at the beginning of the region. You'll need a pass to get onto the island, and you'll need to head back home through the mountain to get it. The houses on the lake with the docks are boat houses. They'll take you across the lake because you won't have Surf yet. They charge $500, but if for some reason you don't have enough money, they'll let you ride for free your first time so you don't get stuck. The route in the top right of the map is going to have a fork to the right that is blocked until you go down and get the third badge from the island. I think everything else is pretty self explanatory.

Attachments

• coralworld.png
    coralworld.png
    295 KB · Views: 69
Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2020
I played the demo, and man this is exactly the kind of Pokemon hack I've been wanting to play.

I especially like the guy that tells you talking to people can be helpful, because that's the most frustrating thing when people tell me they don't know where to go next.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2024
Hey man what's going on with this awesome rom?
What's the status on this awesome gbc creation. I'd love to see what happens in future :)
Coral is still being worked on everyday. I've finished a huge story event for the next town after the demo ends. That's what I've been working on for the past week or so. Things are slow, but steady. I don't have too much to show, but here's a sneak peek. The Rocket sprite is temporary. Team Rocket is going to be replaced by a new evil team.

HXvvg2B.png

I played the demo, and man this is exactly the kind of Pokemon hack I've been wanting to play.

I especially like the guy that tells you talking to people can be helpful, because that's the most frustrating thing when people tell me they don't know where to go next.

Nice! Thanks for playing! I really enjoyed Bronze and am looking forward to Bronze 2, so hearing that you enjoyed Coral is really cool.

Back