• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Capturing Feebas

bobandbill

one more time
Years
'Capturing Feebas' will be an article for the 'Features to Improve' series (Title subject to change).

I already have a few things in mind, but since it's not necessary to write a draft, I'd like to see how you guys would approach this article. I'm going to base the article on how hard is to actually capture Feebas, and will probably ask questions like: "Was this a trick to get you submerged into the game?"
My questions for you are: Do you think the whole process is unnecessary? How did you feel when you learned how to capture Feebas? Do you think the creators of the game did this with an ulterior motive in mind?

You're not limited to answer the questions, if anyone has any interesting ideas they'll be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, guys :)
I like those questions. You could get a range of opinions of those from a discussion thread in PGC imo as well, and maybe someone will raise a point to include too. I'll answer them myself when I have more time.

I think a key point to mention in the article here is that this process is never really explained in-game. Even the mechanics of the trendy saying which changes the spots in the RSE games Feebas isn't even hinted at, which just adds to the sheer frustration. Add in that it isn't a 100% encounter rate for the square it is in... ugh.

Any plans on talking about this in multiple games, e.g. DP as well (something like 1 spot in a whole lake?)

I think a comparison to how it works in RSE and ORAS is worth including as well.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
JIMBOY YOU

YOU

YOU BETTER ASK FOR AN OPINION FROM THE RESIDENT CRAZY MILOTIC LADY 8(

*rushes to the PGC*

Years
Feebas being inaccessible seems to be a point here, as also that this doesn't necessarily seem to go anywhere in particular. It perhaps makes sense to present the Feebas thing as being perhaps pointlessly inaccessible, although leading to a Pokemon who might be artificially promoted and beautified, and in that sense both seeming to show a bit of dissent about this, and making the usual Feebas-Milotic relation seem trivialised. That Feebas becomes effectively the opposite of a Magikarp is also of note, which accentuates this kind of theme.

It may perhaps be of interest whether it was perhaps a somewhat artificial means of expanding the game world, or making it seem to have more things to make up for for instance the lack of a day-night system, when the game itself started fairly domestically with the drawn-out friendly rival sequence, and then further events which weren't that far away. They needed to create a sense of a place where things were happening, and so on, and changing, rather than being trapped within a fairly static arrangement.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I was thinking of pointing out the fact that in ORAS is extremely easier to catch than it was in RSE. Which could imply that the creators regret the mechanics they used in RSE. I'm also planning to include the answers I got from people, while I answer the questions myself. And finally, a conclusion of what most people thinks about the mechanics, and what do I think about the change of the mechanics from RSE to ORAS. That said, I don't know what more to ask for, I already have planned the main structure of the article.
I think that's a good way to address RSE and ORAS differences there.

I'll be bringing up the approval process with other Daily staff then, hang tight!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Article is approved! I'll copy a post here into a new thread in the writing subsection for you.

We may change the article title (maybe just keep it separate from the series of 'Features that could be better') as 'Feature that could be better: Catching Feebas' isn't maybe a bit wordy, while 'Features to Improve: Catching Feebas' is shorter but also plain and not quite clear in a sense. Then we can just mention it is part of the series in the opening paragraph. "The trouble with catching Feebass", "Finding Feebas" (play in Finding Nemo - hey, that could make for a funny cover article image!)...

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yay. Can I make the image myself?
Sure, if you'd like. Just note the ideal sizes we'd like for article cover images (detailed within the sticky thread here).
What about 'Unexploited Feature/s' ?
Unexploited suggests underused/unused or not used to maximum potential/not taken advantage og, which I feel isn't clear enough that it's the feature that isn't up to scratch, rather than say it being a feature not used enough by players.

The series name of 'Features that could be better/improved' is fine (clear); I just feel that the article itself can have individual titles that doesn't include the series name, e.g. Finding Feebas (which is clear that it's about Feebas, and we can make clear from the article excerpt that we're talking about the feature involving Feebas).

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Humourous image sounds fine to me even if the article is serious - as long as it looks good and will draw in readers, haha.

My own idea was to spoof one of those Finding Nemo poster images with Finding Feebas instead, although that may require some more work. But that idea also sounds good.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
That sounds like a good idea too, dang. Well, I guess I have time to decide what I'm gonna do about it. Should I start writing and post it here?
Side note, one can always be used within the article as well.

And I set up a thread for you (via copying your post) in the Workshop subsection already! Link: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=364686 Post the draft there. You can do it here if you want everyone to see it beforehand, mind, including the whole editing process.

Back