• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Master Quest: Kanto (100% Complete)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 2, 2021
Hey Everyone!

This is similar to your typical sideshow hack, except it only covers the Pokemon available in the regional Pokedex. This is because I'm aiming for a very specific regional experience for each game in this series. For Kanto, this obviously means that it's a 151 hack. I've removed all instances of Johto/Hoenn Pokemon. That being said, I've increased the diversity of the game quite a lot. I've hand-edited each of the Routes, Trainer Rosters, and Level-Up Sets. I've also changed a bunch of the TMs.

I know this is a bit of a small post without too much for you to go on, but I can assure you I put a LOT of time into this game and that you won't be disappointed. Obviously I'm biased, but as a long-time Pokemon player, I think this game is really good, and moreover it pretty much obsoletes Fire Red, which is where I think it really shines. You should definitely play through any of the 386 hacks of Fire Red if you're just looking for a difficult Pokemon experience. But I made this for those times when I get a nag to replay through Fire Red for what it is, an exploration of the Kanto region with Kanto Pokemon. I can't promise that this game will be worth your time right now, but just remember this when (or if) you get that old nagging to replay through R/B/FR/LG. Come give mine a try instead.

My main problem with 386/493/649/etc. hacks is that they tend to make what are generally very different regions blend together for me. This stays true to what the original games were while still bringing new features, difficulty, and quality of life changes. I can't think of really any reason why you would play the originals over this one (unless you really want to use Tyranitar or something). The changes make the experience so much more enjoyable. I'm especially proud of the level-up sets and trainer rosters I've built.

To be honest, I never made this game to upload. I mainly made it to play myself, so there is a bit of shorthand. This is mostly unnoticeable in the game, except for in the fact that Pokemon can learn every TM. To match the new TMs with every Pokemon would have taken hours. I hope no one will mind that I took those extra hours to create Master Quest: Johto, which is also done, so go check that one out (if you're reading this within the first few hours of upload it might not be up yet) and hopefully you will accept that as payment. I'm also about a quarter of the way through Master Quest: Hoenn as well.

Also, because of this I never really took the time to take screenshots during my full playthroughs of the game, so I just had to scrounge around whatever I could quickly take. Please check out my Youtube channel, Leaky Lou, where I'm doing a playthrough of this game for more in-depth gameplay.

I made the IPS file with a 1.0 copy, but it might work with 1.1. I haven't tried it.

I also have a Google Doc that stays updated when I make minor changes, but apparently I'm not allowed to post links, so the .pdf will have to do for now.

Credits:
MrDollSteak's Patch
G3T
Advanced Map
G3HS

Attachments

• Pokemon Generations - Kanto_02.png
    Pokemon Generations - Kanto_02.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 420
  • Pokemon Generations - Kanto_03.png
    Pokemon Generations - Kanto_03.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 377
  • Pokemon Generations - Kanto_04.png
    Pokemon Generations - Kanto_04.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 428
  • Pokemon Generations - Kanto_05.png
    Pokemon Generations - Kanto_05.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 395
  • Pokemon Generations - Kanto_06.png
    Pokemon Generations - Kanto_06.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 366
  • Pokemon Generations - Kanto_01.png
    Pokemon Generations - Kanto_01.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 383
  • Pokemon Master Quest_ Kanto (2).pdf
    146.8 KB · Views: 893
  • Pokemon Master Quest - Kanto.ips
    319.9 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 15, 2019
It's a simple but perfect one, thanks!
(I can't find the Johto one... Did you post it?)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 2, 2021
Been looking for a hack like this for a while! gonna give this a shot tonight! :)

Thank you! Let me know if you have any feedback!

It's a simple but perfect one, thanks!
(I can't find the Johto one... Did you post it?)

Thanks! I've been trying to upload it for a while and have been running into errors. I thought it was something wrong with how I patched it, but I've just realized it's because my file size is too big, even compressed. Going to see if I can somehow get permission to post the Mediafire link, and if not I'll just make 4 more random posts around the forums so that I can just get the permission and make it happen. Will be out soon, I promise!

EDIT: I can also send you the file if you give me your email (or if links can be sent through PM I can do it there, but I'm not sure how that works). Lemme know!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 20, 2023
Everytime i patch this game after trying to name a pokemon it crashes

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 28, 2022
Just got this on my MyBoy emulator, wanted a ROM hack to allow me to finally cTch them all. My only query is this: what happens with trade evolution pokemon (Golem, Gengar, Alakazam, Machamp)? Are they forceful evolved at a set level, given stones, hell, even new trade items. Just curious. Great hack by the way

Years
This is what I'm looking for! thank you so much. But, can you leave the TM system as the original FR game? I don't want to teach inappropriate TMs to my pokemon because I don't want to cheat and I don't know which TMs can learn every pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Hey, I've been looking for a hack like this for some time, thanks for sharing it with us
I'm so excited to finish that one :)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 2, 2021
Just got this on my MyBoy emulator, wanted a ROM hack to allow me to finally cTch them all. My only query is this: what happens with trade evolution pokemon (Golem, Gengar, Alakazam, Machamp)? Are they forceful evolved at a set level, given stones, hell, even new trade items. Just curious. Great hack by the way

All Trade evolutions in this game evolve at Level 44. Apologies for the late response I never come on this site haha. Hope you still enjoyed playing it. You can check the documentation in the first post for more info and responses to questions like this.

This is what I'm looking for! thank you so much. But, can you leave the TM system as the original FR game? I don't want to teach inappropriate TMs to my pokemon because I don't want to cheat and I don't know which TMs can learn every pokemon.

Again, sorry I'm just now seeing this. I can try to make a version with the original TM system, but it would take a while and the little time that I do dedicate to rom hacking I spend on Master Quest: Hoenn and ORAS. Apologies that this wasn't what you wanted. I can't promise something like this in the near future, but I will work on it when I can.

Baadar

I'm nothing...
Years
Good game, enjoying it so far, just one more gym and the post game to go, I'll wait and see your take on the RSE :3

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 2, 2021
Great hack but *GODDD* the encounter rate of rare Pokémon can drive anyone psyducking insane. Took me 4 hours to fish up a Dragonite, which flees FIRST TURN , and breaks out of Safari Ball without it even budging. Only when I threw bait the Dragonite the Safari Ball shakes. What's up with that?

And sheesh, although it's only a 151 hack, with the distribution of the encounter rate like that I came across hundreds of Machamp/Sandslash/Golem just for a single Marowak. It was not enjoyable.

I'm sorry you had that experience. I made sure to make every Pokemon except Mew available with at least a 5% encounter rate somewhere in the game. Have you made sure to follow the order of the Wild Encounter tables and made sure you were looking for the Pokemon where it is most commonly found? Even still, I definitely understand firsthand that sometimes you can just get really unlucky and this can take forever.

And yeah I see how the Dragonite thing would be annoying. My thinking was it wasn't really meant to be caught in the Safari Zone because it's so early in the game, but I wanted it in there as a random surprise considering it's supposed to be the area where the rarest Pokemon are. I didn't want the annoyance of training up a Dragonair to be so easily skippable. And yeah, it's Catch Rate was reduced to 5 because I wanted it to be very difficult to catch almost like a Boss Battle when you encounter it on Seven Island. But, once again I do understand how having it in the Safari Zone could lead some to try to catch it wild (derp), so I can increase it's Catch Rate to 25 and make it more unlikely to flee in the next update.

Good game, enjoying it so far, just one more gym and the post game to go, I'll wait and see your take on the RSE :3

Thanks dog! I really appreciate it. I hate to say it, but Hoenn is still pretty far from release. BUT I am still working on it. You can also check out the HGSS hacks, if you enjoyed.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 24, 2020
I can't seem to find a download file that's complete. The last one I downloaded ended at lavender

Back