• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[EM] Battle Engine Upgrade (On Halt, Will undergo reboot!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeesh

I just wanna hack Emerald.
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
I'm so glad I just found this! It allows me to stress about the other stuff I could actually figure out about hacking Emerald :P

Jeesh

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
Oh I just found out this too. (Posting this and not editing my last post just to get it into peoples notifications)
ea031e891209401e9fde66f877711c4c.png

This says it "overflowed." I usually get this window, except instead of the overflow problem, it's like "couldn't find selected index or something." But when that happens its because I did offsets wrong. The ini of the offsets also still says the same offsets as a vanilla Emerald ROM, but SOME are changed. Ultimately, how in the world do I fix this? I don't know if it's the offsets or something. I followed all the right steps to an absolute T and it gives me this, both with an expanded ROM, and a vanilla ROM.

Years
Oh I just found out this too. (Posting this and not editing my last post just to get it into peoples notifications)

This says it "overflowed." I usually get this window, except instead of the overflow problem, it's like "couldn't find selected index or something." But when that happens its because I did offsets wrong. The ini of the offsets also still says the same offsets as a vanilla Emerald ROM, but SOME are changed. Ultimately, how in the world do I fix this? I don't know if it's the offsets or something. I followed all the right steps to an absolute T and it gives me this, both with an expanded ROM, and a vanilla ROM.

I don't know, it's the tool problem, not the engine. :P Ask Gamer, the creator of it, about it.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023

Edit the .ini. Change the offsets related to whatever you change.

Jeesh

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
Edit the .ini. Change the offsets related to whatever you change.

I did. The offsets that changed that aren't in the PGEinidump command I can't seem to find if I used the "--debug>offsets.txt." Or are they there in the .txt file and I'm just not looking hard enough?

Jeesh

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
Ah, here's a better way to put it (sorry I just REALLY wanna figure this out fast)
I'm using an Emerald ROM that has expanded evolution cap to 8 (done in Gen III Suite) followed instructions , setting code to insert at 0x09F00000/0x1F00000, run script for build, run script for insert and debug, and open in G3T.
The moves look like they implemented well.
The Pokemon don't look implemented AT ALL. It still shows me the first 411. When I go to change the ini to some larger number to see if they ARE implemented in the Pokemon editor, I don't see them, and its just jibberish. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and I've read through this whole thread and found nobody with my problem.
So, how do I reveal the newly added Pokemon in G3T, if the code expanded the amount? I feel like they're there, but they just aren't showing up. Hopefully this explanation helps.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Small Update:
  • The position of Mega Indicators are now adjusted according to the Pokemon level.
  • Special indicators for alpha/omega primal reversion. Due to this, an additional step is required for setting up the indicators (read the next line).
  • The instructions for setting up Megas/Primals are now available in the newly created file 'settingup.md' in the GitHub.

Mega evolutions and Primal reversion don't work for me, but Wish mega evolution does.

Any help?

I'm using the item 0x161 (Gold Teeth) and I'm setting the Pokemon number 888 (378 for the extra value) and my pokemon doesn't mega evolve or primal.

Years
Mega evolutions and Primal reversion don't work for me, but Wish mega evolution does.

Any help?

I'm using the item 0x161 (Gold Teeth) and I'm setting the Pokemon number 888 (378 for the extra value) and my pokemon doesn't mega evolve or primal.

Did you set the evolution in the evo table?

Trainer 781

Ah, here's a better way to put it (sorry I just REALLY wanna figure this out fast)
I'm using an Emerald ROM that has expanded evolution cap to 8 (done in Gen III Suite) followed instructions , setting code to insert at 0x09F00000/0x1F00000, run script for build, run script for insert and debug, and open in G3T.
The moves look like they implemented well.
The Pokemon don't look implemented AT ALL. It still shows me the first 411. When I go to change the ini to some larger number to see if they ARE implemented in the Pokemon editor, I don't see them, and its just jibberish. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and I've read through this whole thread and found nobody with my problem.
So, how do I reveal the newly added Pokemon in G3T, if the code expanded the amount? I feel like they're there, but they just aren't showing up. Hopefully this explanation helps.

Follow this:
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9536205&postcount=38

I'm also getting the sams PGE ini error now though. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Found the solution to the problem. Take the latest roms.ini from here: https://github.com/Gamer2020/PokemonGameEditor/blob/master/roms.ini

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Did you set the evolution in the evo table?

Uh... What evolution table?

This is what I did:

- Set 161 as the Keystone (Golden Teeth).
- Update the PGE .ini file with the data that is on GitHub.
- Set Heracross Mega Evo to Mega Heracross with Golden Teeth (161).
- Set Mega Heracross Revert evolution to Heracross.
- Set the keystone special value to 139, and extra to 378 (as 888, where M-Heracross is located, in hex is 378).
- Get the item in-game. Press start while choosing attacks.
- Doesn't work.

Did I miss something? I'm just following what's on GitHub.

Thanks!

Trainer 781

This is what I did:

- Set 161 as the Keystone (Golden Teeth).
- Update the PGE .ini file with the data that is on GitHub.
- Set Heracross Mega Evo to Mega Heracross with Golden Teeth (161).
- Set Mega Heracross Revert evolution to Heracross.
- Set the keystone special value to 139, and extra to 378 (as 888, where M-Heracross is located, in hex is 378).
- Get the item in-game. Press start while choosing attacks.
- Doesn't work.

Did I miss something? I'm just following what's on GitHub.

Thanks!

Keystone and Mega-stone are different items.
A keystone is the trainer's item required for evolution. It should be just present in bag to enable Megas.
A mega stone (or Heracronite) is the one to be held by the mon for evolution.
So you set the specials and extra for Heracronite.

And you set the index of Keystone to preferably a Key Item that should be present in your bag.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Keystone and Mega-stone are different items.
A keystone is the trainer's item required for evolution. It should be just present in bag to enable Megas.
A mega stone (or Heracronite) is the one to be held by the mon for evolution.
So you set the specials and extra for Heracronite.

And you set the index of Keystone to preferably a Key Item that should be present in your bag.

Thanks, but still doesn't work. What I did now:

- Set 161 as KEYstone (Golden Teeth).
- Set Potion as the Mega stone: Extra=378 (as it's 888 in Hex, or Am I wrong?), special=139.
- Set the evolution: Mega evolution Heracross to M-Heracross with potion and M-Heracross to Heracross with revert megas.
- Obtain both objects in-game. Put potion on Heracross. Doesn't work. Put potion on bag. Doesn't work.

What Am I missing? I'm just slowly losing my mind {XD}

Trainer 781

Thanks, but still doesn't work. What I did now:

- Set 161 as KEYstone (Golden Teeth).
- Set Potion as the Mega stone: Extra=378 (as it's 888 in Hex, or Am I wrong?), special=139.
- Set the evolution: Mega evolution Heracross to M-Heracross with potion and M-Heracross to Heracross with revert megas.
- Obtain both objects in-game. Put potion on Heracross. Doesn't work. Put potion on bag. Doesn't work.

What Am I missing? I'm just slowly losing my mind {XD}

I can't see anything wrong.
Come on the Pokecommunity Discord to discuss this further.

Jeesh

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
Follow this:
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9536205&postcount=38

I'm also getting the sams PGE ini error now though. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Found the solution to the problem. Take the latest roms.ini from here: https://github.com/Gamer2020/PokemonGameEditor/blob/master/roms.ini

I did that order, and used the rom.ini file you gave me. I expanded in the order shown, using the directions in DizzyEggs thread about item expansion since yours weren't there (which my have been my problem) Now, with all three things done, I opened it in PGE, but all I see is Bulbasaurs whose only move in their learnset is Pound, as if I expanded a vanilla ROM.
a36f1b79129f4dc7a03df6c975a98b16.png

Is that supposed to happen?

EDIT: The moves and their stats look well implemented and work, learnsets are updated too for already existing pokemon, and the Physical Special Split also works. But moves like "Space Fury" say that their description will "burn target." I don't know if thats true or PGE doesn't pick up its new effect, but it seems off. Everything just looks off :(

EDIT AGAIN: It just occurred to me that I may have to manually add Pokemon, pfft :P However, I do want an explanation of the Space Fury example I gave in the last paragraph. Also, how does the code know which mon slot to change during a mega, or stance change?

Last edited:

Trainer 781

I did that order, and used the rom.ini file you gave me. I expanded in the order shown, using the directions in DizzyEggs thread about item expansion since yours weren't there (which my have been my problem) Now, with all three things done, I opened it in PGE, but all I see is Bulbasaurs whose only move in their learnset is Pound, as if I expanded a vanilla ROM.

EDIT: The moves and their stats look well implemented and work, learnsets are updated too for already existing pokemon, and the Physical Special Split also works. But moves like "Space Fury" say that their description will "burn target." I don't know if thats true or PGE doesn't pick up its new effect, but it seems off. Everything just looks off :(

EDIT AGAIN: It just occurred to me that I may have to manually add Pokemon, pfft :P However, I do want an explanation of the Space Fury example I gave in the last paragraph. Also, how does the code know which mon slot to change during a mega, or stance change?

Yes, the expansion just create extra slots with Bulbasaur and Pound. PGE has an automated function to import/export pokemon data. So you can ask someone for exported base stats. For learnsets for new mons, you can modify and maintain a copy of the learnsets.c file or ask for exported movesets.
Same goes for pokemon sprites, you can import a spritesheet directly :D

As for the move effect description, PGE follows the order of Gen 3 move effect table. But we changed the order of move effects. The future versions of PGE will have support to define descriptions for the move effect table manually. You can find the exact order in the 'battlescripts_for_moves.s' file.

The instructions of setting for setting up megas or form(e) changes are given in settingup.md file.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
I can't see anything wrong.
Come on the Pokecommunity Discord to discuss this further.

Well, I found the problem. It was related to number of evolutions. If I set them to 8 in both Expansion and Battle Engine Update, Mega Evolutions don't work. If I set them to 5, they work perfectly.

Thanks for your help!

Jeesh

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
Yes, the expansion just create extra slots with Bulbasaur and Pound. PGE has an automated function to import/export pokemon data. So you can ask someone for exported base stats. For learnsets for new mons, you can modify and maintain a copy of the learnsets.c file or ask for exported movesets.
Same goes for pokemon sprites, you can import a spritesheet directly :D

As for the move effect description, PGE follows the order of Gen 3 move effect table. But we changed the order of move effects. The future versions of PGE will have support to define descriptions for the move effect table manually. You can find the exact order in the 'battlescripts_for_moves.s' file.

The instructions of setting for setting up megas or form(e) changes are given in settingup.md file.
Awesome! That puts my mind at ease about the whole thing. Now it'll be a bit confusing if I try to add Gen 7 moves and mons, but it's possible :) Thank you so much!

Well, I found the problem. It was related to number of evolutions. If I set them to 8 in both Expansion and Battle Engine Update, Mega Evolutions don't work. If I set them to 5, they work perfectly.

Thanks for your help!
Oh, NO! D:
But I set MY Expansion and Battle Engine Configs to 8. I even used a vanilla rom that I just added expanded number of evolutions to before applying them all, seeing as none of the Expansions would support making it.
Does this mean MY Mega Evolutions won't work? I'll have to read overyour conversation with KDS.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Oh, NO! D:
But I set MY Expansion and Battle Engine Configs to 8. I even used a vanilla rom that I just added expanded number of evolutions to before applying them all, seeing as none of the Expansions would support making it.
Does this mean MY Mega Evolutions won't work? I'll have to read overyour conversation with KDS.

Maybe? At least that's what happened to me. Now it's working perfectly when set to 5.

Also, how does Stance Swap work?

I tried giving Aegislash Wish Mega Evolution to Aegislash Defense while using King's Guard and Aegislash Defense Wish Mega evolution using Sacred Sword but the game keeps mega evolving in loop {XD}

Last edited:

Trainer 781

Awesome! That puts my mind at ease about the whole thing. Now it'll be a bit confusing if I try to add Gen 7 moves and mons, but it's possible :) Thank you so much!

Oh, NO! D:

I think you should test for 8 evos per mon and then tell the results.

If you are adding Gen 7 moves, you should directly add ability/move name/descriptions to the Engine code. The files are ability_desc.s, ability_name.s,move_name, move_table.h and move_desc.s. There are empty slots available to add new entries.

I tried giving Aegislash Wish Mega Evolution to Aegislash Defense while using King's Guard and Aegislash Defense Wish Mega evolution using Sacred Sword but the game keeps mega evolving in loop {XD}
Lol, you don't have to set anything in the evolution table for this. Just give both the forms Stance Change and update their indices in the config.h file.

Jeesh

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020

Yeah, I second that question. Does stance change work like Overcast on Castform, where you need to fulfill a certain thing in order to change the form? Or is it Wish Mega evo like resetes said?

EDIT: Whoops, this question just got answered, nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back